• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

Wam

Smash Ace
Sorry! I tried but I don't think I was ever going to change your mind pythag.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry! I tried but I don't think I was ever going to change your mind pythag.
I mean, it didn’t help that you were still trying to cast shade on me, but yeah, we got outplayed.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Wam has been eliminated. They were:

Hello Wam, and welcome to These Are Things I Like the Mafia Game. You are Neku Sakuraba, town Neighborizor.

Abilities: During the night phase, you may PM the name of one player you would like to enter into a neighborhood with. I will start a New PM with you and that player where the two of you will be able to communicate until one player has been removed from the game. This ability works on players of all alignments, and I will not confirm any information of your role or alignment to the player who joins you in your neighborhood, nor will you learn any information about their role. In the event you are role blocked or the player you choose to join your neighborhood dies the night you use your action, you may select another player.

Win condition: All threats to town are eliminated with at least one town member still alive.

Pythag has been defeated in the end game, they were:

Hello Pythag, and welcome to These Are Things I like the Mafia Game, You are Ampharos the pokemon, town Jack of All Trades.

Abilities: You have one Use of the following abilities:
Bus Drive: Once during a night phase, you may pm the name of two players.
Every action that target either of those two players will target the other one instead.
Cop: Once during a night phase, you may pm the name of one player. You will learn that player’s alignment.
Bread Baker: Once during a night phase, you may pm the name of a player to give a loaf of bread. That player will be informed they were sent a loaf of bread, but not from whom.

Win condition: All threats to town are eliminated with at least one town member still alive.

Hello fontisian, and welcome to These Are Things I like the Mafia Game, you are Regina George from the movie Mean Girls as portrayed by Rachel McAdams, Mafia Two Use Plant:

Abilities: On night 1 and night 2, you may PM me a word. The first Player that says that word the following day phase will have their vote blocked for the rest of the phase. You may not use an article, a conjunction, a preposition, or a player’s name as the word you have planted.

In addition to your plant, you may also perform the factional kill.
You may also communicate with the members of your mafia team at any time, in the Mafia PM I will invite you to shortly.

Win Condition: When the members of your mafia team out number the other player numbers in the game, or nothing can prevent that from occurring.

The Mafia(Fontisian, Kary, and Osie) Win!

Wam

Smash Ace
I mean, it didn’t help that you were still trying to cast shade on me, but yeah, we got outplayed.
I was genuinely thinking you were playing us some how and having a lot of doubts.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
GG scum. Very well played. I think honestly we were lucky to get as close as we did. If DH hadn't dropped out and/or pythag had missed on his bus drive, I think you would have probably swept us without too much trouble.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
nooooooooo the deep pocket ;_;

ggs all, this was an exciting game

crazy I legit pressured all three scum slots on D1 and it WAS an all Dgames team until fonti replaced in

crazy good pivot on my slot when you replaced in fonti, like I honestly didn't believe you would've made a call like that that quickly after replacing in

killing me was a risky play, I wasn't lying when I said I couldn't see a universe where I voted you out over wam or pythag but I specifically said that hoping that IF I was pocketed, I'd be left alive and would have a chance to think long and hard on it depending on who the actual kill was

very, very strong scum theatre. such contrast between the way kary and DH interacted, really threw me

just.... oooof lol, well played scum, took the wind right out of my sails with this ending

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wam Wam picking the NK almost every time for your neighborhood was so ****ing unlucky and looked so ****ing suss lmao, just looked like attempts to have a plausible explanation for visiting the kill if there was still another track/watch power floating out there that someone was holding on to

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
fontisian fontisian we're going to have serious trust issues after this you know that right? cost of doing business I suppose =P

now I can't even know for sure if we're actually "cool" because you said it as scum and this whole turbosnow could've just been a powerplay to step on my neck and shove the outplay in my face in it in back to back games where we've matched up :( :( :(

Last edited:

fontisian

Smash Champion
fontisian fontisian we're going to have serious trust issues after this you know that right? cost of doing business I suppose =P

now I can't even know for sure if we're actually "cool" because you said it as scum and this whole turbosnow could've just been a powerplay to step on my neck and shove the outplay in my face in it in back to back games where we've matched up :( :( :(
Lol.

No, we're cool.

I'm pretty sure you'll know I'm town the next time I am.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Fontisian - Excellent play obviously, there were so many red flags I ignored mostly due to Kary's bussing, but also D3 that you tried to push from pythag onto DH really threw me later. You'll get no credit for bussing late game in the future.

Kary - Also amazing play. I knew your play was "bad", but yes, it all makes sense now.

LaserGuy - Sorry mate, my bad. You had your vote in the right place in the end.

Chaco - So easy to read. I really look forward to your first game as scum since coming back. It's going to be epic or a disaster.

Dark Horse - You had a good middle of the road style D1 and D2. I look forward to playing a full game with you. Obviously a solid player.

Frozen Flame - Huge success and huge failure within your first few posts. I needed to work together with you better once I'd decided you were town. Oh well, maybe next time.

Pythag - Sorry to let you down. That was a truly epic power move and you should take it as a personal win even though we didn't get there in the end.

BoomFrog - Man, you got so close but just got snowed by basic scum bussing D3 tactics. Come on, this is the second game in a row to make a wrong call in end-game. I thought you were better then this. Too bad you're not as good at this game as Xivii.

Sabrar - Gorf and DH were scum together!

Synchronicity (Xivii and Bessie Hydra) - You guys had it but your reason's weren't convincing D2. But I should have trusted the power of Synchronicity. Thanks for trusting me though. Kudo's for that successful read.

Somitomi - lol, yeah, that's what you get for being good at the game. Being missyeeted is a compliment :) But I bet if we'd taken out wam instead you'd have gotten to end game and had the exact same fate.

Malakandra - I liked a lot of your reads throughout the game. I don't blame you for being suspicious of me.

Wam - I was convinced right up until the end that you were scum (as you'll see in spectator chat) but it was always PoE. But I just couldn't convince myself that you weren't faking it at the end.

fontisian

Smash Champion
If anyone has questions about kills, night action choices or any specfic bits of manipulation, I'm happy to answer. Most of what I did this game had some specfic goals of undermining town integrity, supporting my teammates, and setting up distancing. I don't have time go into all of it, but questions are welcome.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
If anyone has questions about kills, night action choices or any specfic bits of manipulation, I'm happy to answer. Most of what I did this game had some specfic goals of undermining town integrity, supporting my teammates, and setting up distancing. I don't have time go into all of it, but questions are welcome.
I mean I pretty much already laid out exactly all your D1 and D2 play... :p

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
GG scum. Very well played. I think honestly we were lucky to get as close as we did. If DH hadn't dropped out and/or pythag had missed on his bus drive, I think you would have probably swept us without too much trouble.
agreed

gg all, fun rail. fontis a hell of a player

i lol'd @ some of kary's salty distancing

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Damn! Crazy game. Can't believe it was fonti still. Incredibly good job with the attacks and responses to Kary and Fonti good lord.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
This game was absolutely wild. That’s really all I can say about it, from the looks of it it got really tense on more than one occasion, but that’s what you get when you stuff a roster full of really good players it seems! Gg’s all around, great mafia plays.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Well I did not see that coming, well played...
Somitomi - lol, yeah, that's what you get for being good at the game. Being missyeeted is a compliment :) But I bet if we'd taken out wam instead you'd have gotten to end game and had the exact same fate.
No, that's what I get for coasting as mafia in my first game around here. I probably should've tried to be more visible, but D1 is the worst and I kind of expected this to happen. You're right about the same thing happening, I would not have suspected fonti.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Sorry for tunneling your Xiv/Bessie I kept getting scum vibes from your interactions but it was always the opposite person instead of you. I accurately called the interactions as TvS but completely was locked in on you too much. The slip was not a slip and I was a bloodhound in driving it home.

Late game Boom is so easy to read versus early game, WHY DONT YOU PLAY LIKE THAT ALWAYS. Late day phases was so obvtown.

Kary is very talented as scum, the “ego” voice tone is like hella skill.

Sabrar looking forward to seeing more of you.

Somi apologies for gunning for you. The lurk scum victory did to it in for me, and made me pursue you much more. But as Xivii said, that moment when you balked it was a super town tell abd I shouldve known that.

DH was very skilled at appearing town and involved.

Wam you got much easier to read as the game progressed, I think if so much controversy had not surrounded you D1 and had you successfully neighbored you wouldn’t have been lynched.

FF- finally accurately read you.

Fonti has skillz.

Laser I really enjoy your play. It sucks being on the wrong side of the tunnel though, cause you’re so thorough that it’ll just make you wanna scream. Lmao.

Mala you’re doing very solid and I really like playing with you.

GLG thanks for hosting

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
first of all ggs to all. this was a fun and funny game at many points. congrats and thanks to fonti for carrying us to the win.

secondly, i said this in spoiled chat but this game was broken in favor of town. pythag's role was absolutely devastating not only killing a mafia but changing the math and narrowing the pool of potential yeets to an alarming degree. If Pythag had copped Wam N1, which would have been a great option, we would probably have lost the game entirely due to his role. MODS: YOU SHOULD NEVER PUT THIS **** IN YOUR MAFIA GAME. I realize that a lot of the time the bus drive may do nothing, but that does not excuse it.

If you are a moron, you may be saying to yourself "but it was a close game in the end, so what's the problem?" Please do not be a moron. Personally I believe that power roles can be fun and add texture and variety to a game. But they should not decide the game on their own. Pythag's role makes more sense as a ****ty 3rd party than it does for town and without trying to disparage GLG, it seems more like a mod trying to be cute and clever than a design meant to be enjoyable. I literally called out that Pythag was playing like a PR in the scumchat, but he had claimed and PROVED his ability to give bread so we had no sensible reason to expect his role could do more. There's literally nothing good I can say about this as a town role.

If you make this JOAT role a VT, or even a baker, this is a good setup. And I don't expect everyone to come out blasting with as much fire as I have against this joat role because they weren't as affected by it. But please do not shrug and accept this kind of nonsense because it ruins games.

This bugbear aside, my thanks to GLG who was a prompt, courteous and excellent host.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
might do player shoutouts and **** when im at a keyboard. but my personal highlight was this:
Like, even though Kary was scum he genuinely didn't get why I was not for yeeting Fonti. When he said something like, "How can you make a slam-dunk case but not follow it?" he was sincere.
narrator: he was not sincere

Last edited:

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
The Jaot role is tricky because in general the role as written is going to be far weaker then like, 2-shot cop. But the 1-shot of redirect has a high variance. Like, if you ran this setup with a dozen other groups, I bet none of them would have the same result. So many things had to line up for that play to have worked.

Pythag had to miss with the cop check (because if he hit he'd have claimed the clear D3 probably, but scum would know he was JOAT). He has to lie as town convincingly during mass claim, which is risky and skillful play. And he has to correctly guess the NE target and not get role blocked and guess a scum target.

The move was skillful, risky and a bit lucky and had a high payoff. I don't think it was unfair, and it wasn't bad modding to include it. It is high variance (a low chance for a big swing) and I totally get how that feels unfair since we are in the reality where it happened. But being mad that pythag tricked you into thinking he was a baker is like me being mad that Fonti tricked me into thinking she was town.

Last edited:

fontisian

Smash Champion
The Jaot role is tricky because in general the role as written is going to be far weaker then like, 2-shot cop. But the 1-shot of redirect has a high variance. Like, if you ran this setup with a dozen other groups, I bet none of them would have the same result. So many things had to line up for that play to have worked.

Pythag had to miss with the cop check (because if he hit he'd have claimed the clear D3 probably, but scum would know he was JOAT). He has to lie as town convincingly during mass claim, which is risky and skillful play. And he has to correctly guess the NE target and not get role blocked and guess a scum target.

The move was skillful, risky and a bit lucky and had a high payoff. I don't think it was unfair, and it wasn't bad modding to include it. It is high variance (a low chance for a big swing) and I totally get how that feels unfair since we are in the reality where it happened. But being mad that pythag tricked you into thinking he was a baker is like me being mad that Fonti tricked me into thinking she was town.
Mmm, I'd argue the setup itself was very townsided. I assumed there were no other town power roles after the Tracker, Neighborizer, Tough Bodyguard (with Breadmaker as a potential clear, but not something useful), because just those three would have been balanced against three scum and a roleblocker. Helps that on my site we likely wouldn't have gone for 13 players with 3 scum, but instead would have had 12 players with 3 scum, removing a free misyeet for town. The Tracker itself is very strong into a scumteam with a roleblocker, the Neighborizer could have been used extremely effectively to get info from the Tracker or to scumhunt, and the Bodyguard surviving partway through the next Day ensured that they could always share information and usually get a clear. Adding in a one-shot cop and one-shot bus drive makes town pretty overpowered. I'll add that by having a useless ability on the JoaT, you mess with the scumteam's expectations, as the breadmaker is similar to the plant as a useless but confirmable pr, so it seems very unlikely to any scumteam that a person who gives bread would also have super useful abilities like the bus-drive and the cop check.

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
In retrospect, four town PRs was one too many for this set up, and as swingy as Pythag's role was it was too strong for this setup. Having a slot entering into day 4 that had minimal content meant that even if the DH/Heury/Osie slot was town, it was still helping town to get rid of it going into day 4 because it was a slot that would be more likely to be lynched at some point over other town slots.

I do not feel like I followed the flow of the day phases closely enough to give players individual shout outs. But I will say I am very happy with the way everyone played this game, every one actively participated and seemed to have a drive to win and it made it a joy to host. Thank you all for playing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom