• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Chaco - Is going to go slowly mad

Sabrar - Real Sabrar. I'd been wondering where he'd gone. Nice to finally see him again.

Dark Horse - Aggressive interrogating. I don't agree with his questions but he's leaving a thick paper trail if scum. - likely town

Malakandra - Too cool. But he did like my post calling out Laser for the town read, which means Mala was also sus of the easy town read, so Mala is town.

LaserGuy - Ligit mala analysis, slightly townie

Gorf - Sarcasm shield is slightly townie

Somitomi - Fry with his eyes squinting

Kary - Holding their cards close. But eyes open.

Wam - Minimal content is suspicious, but I'm willing to wait a bit to see what's under the surface.

Synchronicity - Obviously scummy. Policy yeet D2.

Frozen Flame - Hasn't played town in so long he's forgotten how to.

Pythag - Checked out. No reasoning for votes or attempts at reading anyone.

Vote FrozenFlame
Vote Pythag
What are you seeing that points to scum!Frozen (again)?

Why is Chaco so high up the list?

Most of the rest of these look very reasonable to me.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire

Wam

Smash Ace
Is there a way to sort by author? Have we had only 1 post from the hydra?

Boom I agree with others why chaco at the top?

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Not sort but you can search for a specific player. Top right corner, change to 'This thread' and filter to a specific player with the 'By' part.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Fairly obvious, imo, why Boom put me at the top from his perspective. But I’m gonna let him answer to see if it’s really just that.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Fairly obvious, imo, why Boom put me at the top from his perspective. But I’m gonna let him answer to see if it’s really just that.
No, you first. I'm pretty sure my reason will be different then yours so don't worry about me copying you.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry, long day yesterday and I no longer work in IT so I'm not in front of a computer all the time.

Unsorted and paper thin reads :

Town :
Chaco - Townie vibes
Dh - I don't like gorf trying to make DH look scummy, I interpret his posts as eager.
gorf - the defensive argument that was trying to be built on him was reaaaaly sketch. It seemed like he and I were thinking similarly wrt to the wagons. we're on the same page...until he ascends.
Sab - I think I've liked everything he's posted.

Null :
LG - I admittedly need to reread, but LG seems to be skirting by on the good faith of others (that's opinion pre-reread).
Kary - playing to his meta. Nothing to see here. maybe a town lean, but still relatively null.
Synchronicity - If this account starts arguing in bad faith/mudding the waters kill it immediately.
somitomi - No idea on this slot yet.
Boom - This is kinda a toss up. I actually didn't like his placement on the malarky wagon, seemed like he was trying too hard to be HBC, so I personally thought his wagon would be more benefictial for me to be on (I think this answers your question Kary). However, I don't think him following up with a write up of his views is a very scum move. Tonally he appears different to me this match, though.

Scummy :

Wam - I don't think I've really liked a single one of his posts. I also don't get him jumping on the gorf train.
FF - I'm not saying it's scummy that you didn't read the rules, but that does seem very out of character for you. I didn't seem to understand your position on gorf. That seemed very odd to me.

I may have forgotten people, I'm about to go work out and then will come back to do some more reading and have questions.

unvote
vote : Frozenflame

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Chaco Chaco Can you use more words there? Are you saying I put you at the top in order to pocket you and then called myself out on it?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Chaco Chaco Can you use more words there? Are you saying I put you at the top in order to pocket you and then called myself out on it?
No no no. I’m saying you put me at the very top because I said I had a good grasp of your slot and it’s to mess with me subtly. I think you’re legitimately town reading me, but idk why I would be the top slot. You do have a lot of exposure to me as town though. Probably more than anyone in recent games sans Xivii, FF, and anyone else who was in all 3 recent games. But I think that’s it? I didn’t count Somi because they replaced out of Midnight.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Sorry, long day yesterday and I no longer work in IT so I'm not in front of a computer all the time.

Unsorted and paper thin reads :

Town :
Chaco - Townie vibes
Dh - I don't like gorf trying to make DH look scummy, I interpret his posts as eager.
gorf - the defensive argument that was trying to be built on him was reaaaaly sketch. It seemed like he and I were thinking similarly wrt to the wagons. we're on the same page...until he ascends.
Sab - I think I've liked everything he's posted.

Null :
LG - I admittedly need to reread, but LG seems to be skirting by on the good faith of others (that's opinion pre-reread).
Kary - playing to his meta. Nothing to see here. maybe a town lean, but still relatively null.
Synchronicity - If this account starts arguing in bad faith/mudding the waters kill it immediately.
somitomi - No idea on this slot yet.
Boom - This is kinda a toss up. I actually didn't like his placement on the malarky wagon, seemed like he was trying too hard to be HBC, so I personally thought his wagon would be more benefictial for me to be on (I think this answers your question Kary). However, I don't think him following up with a write up of his views is a very scum move. Tonally he appears different to me this match, though.

Scummy :

Wam - I don't think I've really liked a single one of his posts. I also don't get him jumping on the gorf train.
FF - I'm not saying it's scummy that you didn't read the rules, but that does seem very out of character for you. I didn't seem to understand your position on gorf. That seemed very odd to me.

I may have forgotten people, I'm about to go work out and then will come back to do some more reading and have questions.

unvote
:cry:

Malakandra

Smash Lord
and again I'll reiterate: I didnt not at all say that DH or Kary were suss for the interaction, I was was simply pointing out that it seemed possibly coordinated to me and that people should take note for later if one of the slots flips scum
This is what interested me originally, I just kinda liked it and forgot to come back to it.... College life is killing me. I think saying Town buds caused you confusing on my original reaction to that post a while ago. I was just trying to mirror saying scum mates, so I went with town buds. My point was that I find it more likely for two town to share a viewpoint and an interest about a slot, rather than it be a coordinated effort. I don't really get a connection here other than that, from my admittedly limited experience with scum chat, it didn't seem like we planned out specific things to focus on all that much until later when we had too. Also I don't really like looking into pre flip.

Malakandra - Too cool.
:2gud:
Okay well I just was surprised that you singled out Mala as dangerous in RVS but I guess it's probably null and just recency bias on your part.
Laser just knows I know he has a mastermind brain so if powerful people start dyin Ima look at him.

Synchronicity

Smash Journeyman
Had to look up this reference.
Relevant xkcd.
I think I've played too much mafia because this reply didn't strike me as surprising in the slightest. Hopefully you'll sort yourself better than BoomFrog in WoT3 though... I doubt we'll have such an abundance of investigative powers to use two on you.
A wise dog learns from observing the blunders of the past.
Oh boy, I can't wait to play mafia today!
Charlie...receiving the golden ticket.
Vote: BoomFrog

Because of Dark Tower.
Woof!

Chris Angel... sawing his assistant in half
:

LaserGuy (4) - jimbobmacdoodle, yoloswag, FrozenFlame, SDK
Meta question are 4 votes at RVS normal on here?
???

Malakandra (4) - LaserGuy (xkcd), Synchronicity (xkcd), FrozenFlame, BoomFrog (xkcd)

George Bush... speaking on weapons of mass destruction.
I feel as though this is the Zen half. Can I get an answer that isn't a reference to another game it's impossible for me to compare against?
Could you be less cryptic for the benefit of people who don't have access to Bessie's Complete Mafia Archives?
Cinderella... berated by the stepmother. Her daughters favored:
Because of Dark Tower.
A fish escapes the net of the slumbering seamen.

Vote: Synchronicity
Somitomi and Zen in Completely Vanilla. Somitomi and Zen in Midnight Ops. Somitomi and Zen Brooklyn 99.

A young pup, but old tricks.

Do you think they’re gonna be clear cut to read or difficult as a hydra?
A sandwich with no meat.

Oh yeah, eliminating someone with zero interactions worked so well for town the last time. Definitely do that again.
I have to say these wagons are bit crazy.
A fish in a hook.
they've had little to no interaction in thread yet, which is unsurprising considering the game has been open for under 24 hours. as far as I can see they have not meaningfully interacted at all such that they'd have any reason to be buddying each other at this point. this is not a slam dunk by any means but I found it to be a very surprising page 1 connection that I wanted people to take note of. Kary pushes pythag to make a move, DH comes in immediately after with the natural followup question which could readily be explained by scum chat coordination to poke at pythag early. not at all saying thats what happened, obviously it could be two townies looking to pressure the same slot and DH just was able to intuit what the point of forcing pythag to choose is was but it just pinged as too much to be purely coincidental
An elephant being pushed through a barn door.
Mala's entrance is super chill. I feel like scum Mala more likely to overreact a bit.

Unvote
A bird behaves as a bird, therefore it must be a fish?

LaserGuy... in Midnight?

Gamestate and advancement. The fact you acknowledged it here is telling to me, where as in midnight you literally didn’t react to it out of pushing elsewhere. There’s a clear difference. I don’t think that much coaching would’ve rubbed off on you from one game with Laser tbh. I would think overall and not really reactivity. Your entrance to the wagon seemed genuine and answered appropriately, therefore my town read of it.
Sokath...his eyes uncovered.

✶​

#HBC | Dark Horse #HBC | Dark Horse I don’t think anybody thought of the malakandra wagon as a pressure wagon.

my vote on you was nothing but was my question following it nothing too?

I think you’re either dumb or scum, trying to reach in whatever sort of depths that you can to get people to make stances and get the ball rolling, or to look like you’re making content now to try and nab a good first impression, which is why when you asked me that I was like yo why are you trying to make me take a stance on effectively nothing? And even now I don’t get your intent
I think this actually makes me lean “dumb” rather than scum on DH.
Fry... his eyes narrowed.
Man what is this response.

If anything your question is worse now that you say you don't have strong opinions on malak/boomfrog. You thought it was just an rvs wagon but you were still trying to get wam to scumread people on the wagon?

And for all of this talk you're still not answering my question or really giving any feed back on a lot of the state of the game. I'll ask you a third and final time.
A star in the dark of night.
Let me be a little more specific here. I think Mala-as-scum would think that the townie reaction here to being put at L-2 would be to make some meaningful commentary on the wagon and the people that are on it. I don't think he'd freak out as scum, but I don't think he would just dismiss it entirely either.
Bird + Bird = fish?
this is so unlike your approach as my mate in vanilla mafia that I'm inclined to just gut townread you for now lmao
A bird behaves as a bird, therefore it is a fish?
fwiw Gorf is generally a more "heated" player so defensiveness from the slot is def to be expected and generally comes off null for me when reading gorf but him being this defensive so early definitely pings a bit for me, just want to provide some meta on one of the slots in this game that I actually have voluminous experience with
[Citation needed]
I'm really liking somitomi's "all-snark all-the-time" this game. I also get townie vibes from him.
Bird + Bird = fish?
Vote: Gorf we move
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Vote: Gorf

/Page 3

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
No no no. I’m saying you put me at the very top because I said I had a good grasp of your slot and it’s to mess with me subtly. I think you’re legitimately town reading me, but idk why I would be the top slot. You do have a lot of exposure to me as town though. Probably more than anyone in recent games sans Xivii, FF, and anyone else who was in all 3 recent games. But I think that’s it? I didn’t count Somi because they replaced out of Midnight.
Haha, fine. Yes exactly. You legitimately should be a few slots lower, but I put you at the top to mess with you. It's a little TMI indicative that you nailed it, but I don't think you would be so blatent about you knowing what I'm doing if you were scum. Guess I'm not as confusing as I thought. : /

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Relevant xkcd.
A wise dog learns from observing the blunders of the past.
Charlie...receiving the golden ticket.
Woof!

Chris Angel... sawing his assistant in half
:

LaserGuy (4) - jimbobmacdoodle, yoloswag, FrozenFlame, SDK

???

Malakandra (4) - LaserGuy (xkcd), Synchronicity (xkcd), FrozenFlame, BoomFrog (xkcd)

George Bush... speaking on weapons of mass destruction.

Cinderella... berated by the stepmother. Her daughters favored:
A fish escapes the net of the slumbering seamen.

Somitomi and Zen in Completely Vanilla. Somitomi and Zen in Midnight Ops. Somitomi and Zen Brooklyn 99.

A young pup, but old tricks.

A sandwich with no meat.

A fish in a hook.
An elephant being pushed through a barn door.
A bird behaves as a bird, therefore it must be a fish?

LaserGuy... in Midnight?
Sokath...his eyes uncovered.

✶​

Fry... his eyes narrowed.
A star in the dark of night.

Bird + Bird = fish?
A bird behaves as a bird, therefore it is a fish?

[Citation needed]
Bird + Bird = fish?
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

Vote: Gorf

/Page 3
.... I understand about half of this. Its almost like this was written by two people...

Chaco

Never Logs In
Haha, fine. Yes exactly. You legitimately should be a few slots lower, but I put you at the top to mess with you. It's a little TMI indicative that you nailed it, but I don't think you would be so blatent about you knowing what I'm doing if you were scum. Guess I'm not as confusing as I thought. : /
Maybe it’s just I have a good BoomFrog grasp lol

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let's spell it out then.

Scenario 1
Kary asks Pythag to choose between wagons.
Pythag does so.
We don't know at this point whether Kary would follow up on this because people are not obligated to react to everything immediately.
After a short time DH comes in and follows up instead of Kary.

Scenario 2
Sabrar poses a question to Gorf.
Gorf has a reply.
We don't know at this point whether Sabrar would follow up on this because people are not obligated to react to everything immediately.
After a short time FF comes in and follows up instead of Sabrar.

See how they are exactly the same?
the way you've framed it, they're exactly the same. problem is, you're glossing over a key difference. You're using the broad term "follow up" to create a basic equivalence that ignores the fact that ultimately, what I've been commenting on the whole time, is that it was the specific form of the follow up that caught my eye. the way I "followed up" on your question to gorf is not exactly the same way that DH followed up on Kary's demands toward Pythag. I think our disagreement here is essentially semantic though /shrug

You being proud comes from #90. I asked you not to butt in, you decided to meme.
I'm not sure I follow how you get from "you responded to my request for you to not but in with a meme picture" to "you are proud of butting in where you weren't wanted." again this is kind of a silly thing to argue about I think but like I get the feeling you think I'm trying to troll you or something which just isn't the case, I was just trying to be lighthearted and essentially say "hey man sorry you were too slow" with a meme of an old commercial I'm sure everyone's seen

And my point has nothing to do with how you presented that connection, it's about how singling out that connection in the first place is illogical.
unless you believe that mates never coordinate to pressure slots together in early game, illogical isn't the right word here. Is my suggestion that it COULD be mate coordination a weak one based on the available evidence? absolutely. but it's not illogical to just flag what I thought was possible evidence of coordination for people to look back at if one of the involved slots flips scum. you clearly don't think what I pointed out is worth material consideration which is fine and all but I don't really understand why you're coming at me over it other than you just being angry at me for tainting your gorf interation

Aren't you the same FrozenFlame who was 100% sure in Crossover that the mods wouldn't include toxic roles like Survivors and Bombs?
I mean that sounds like me, but I can't find the game here so this must've been a game we played offsite? It sounds like you're saying I was wrong about those things, can I get a link?

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Is there something impressive or noteworthy that I missed?
We have a 96 hour deadline, to get only about 12 posts in the first 12 hours wasn't exactly an action-packed start.
No, you didn't, I just genuinely didn't know what you found underwhelming. But then I usually have the opposite problem on D1, there's just too much stuff happening.
Okay, so DH is town because you don't like Gorf throwing shade on him, but Gorf... is also town? Am I missing something?
Cinderella... berated by the stepmother
I'm obviously having some kind of nervous breakdown. I'll just ride it out and see where it takes me, Zelda Fitzgerald style.
Could it be Somitomi and Bessie instead? I'll let you pick the game.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer

wait you think me skimming the rules is "very out of character" for me? you're remembering the hypervigilant obsessive FF from my highschool days bro

what's there to not understand about my position on gorf? I'm legitimately confused here, I have the simplest stance ever, he pinged even more defensive to me than the gorf baseline, so I'm down to pressure wagon him

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Okay, so DH is town because you don't like Gorf throwing shade on him, but Gorf... is also town? Am I missing something?
No I think I was actually.

This quote was sticking in my craw for the past hour or so.

#HBC | Dark Horse #HBC | Dark Horse I don’t think anybody thought of the malakandra wagon as a pressure wagon.

my vote on you was nothing but was my question following it nothing too?

I think you’re either dumb or scum, trying to reach in whatever sort of depths that you can to get people to make stances and get the ball rolling, or to look like you’re making content now to try and nab a good first impression, which is why when you asked me that I was like yo why are you trying to make me take a stance on effectively nothing? And even now I don’t get your intent
I see Besvii is beating me to the punch, but..

if Gorf is calling DH dumb or scum, He's also saying he's contributing without contributing, which would be scummy, not dummy.
But then gorf also backs off saying that he doesn't understand DH's intent, when he just gave examples of what the intent could be.

Now that's something I could understand putting a vote for.

somitomi somitomi do you think there's no way that DH v Gorf could have been TvT?

wait you think me skimming the rules is "very out of character" for me? you're remembering the hypervigilant obsessive FF from my highschool days bro
Aren't you like, currently a lawyer?

I guess I don't buy the 'defensive' read people are getting from gorf. That struck me as a lousy reason to find him scummy, but I wasn't considering pressure votes. I'll eat my humble pie here if I'm wrong about this, no questions asked.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Aren't you like, currently a lawyer?

I guess I don't buy the 'defensive' read people are getting from gorf. That struck me as a lousy reason to find him scummy, but I wasn't considering pressure votes. I'll eat my humble pie here if I'm wrong about this, no questions asked.
I am currently a lawyer and though I understand why that might make you think I'm hypervigilant about everything I read, the reality is quite the opposite. I spend all day pouring over long ****ing documents with ungodly amounts of legally relevant minutia, I don't want to spend hours upon hours in my offtime doing the exact same thing for things aren't nearly as consequential. when I was young and in school with tons of free time I had no outlet for that hypervigilance and anyone who's read my old games from like 10+ years ago would be able to tell that mafia was that outlet long ago. Also, back then, I wasn't a mafia veteran and learning the ins and outs of different rulesets was intellectually stimulating for me so due to my natural curiosity and desire to learn the limits of the game, I would've been reading every line of every ruleset with a fine tooth comb. At this point in my life I've played so much mafia I feel like I've "seen it all" and know what to expected out of standard rulesets, so I make a lot of assumptions, such as assuming that tie in plurality rules = no lynch, which is standard afaik

as for the gorf push, I'm a little concerned that you just moved from "I don't understand your position" to "I don't buy your rationale for your position." If you thought the reasoning was lousy, why not just say that first instead of this wishy washy "I don't get it" stance?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
as for the gorf push, I'm a little concerned that you just moved from "I don't understand your position" to "I don't buy your rationale for your position." If you thought the reasoning was lousy, why not just say that first instead of this wishy washy "I don't get it" stance?
Well, I didn't understand the people finding gorf defensive.
So that'd be why I didn't 'understand' your position, it's not that it was incomprehensible, I just didn't get pushing for that reason. I guess I didn't see it as a shift, but evidently I didn't make that clear.

As to your bird-lawyerings, I'll buy that response.

unvote

outside of the defensiveness from gorf, do you have any thoughts on what I just posted?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
if Gorf is calling DH dumb or scum, He's also saying he's contributing without contributing, which would be scummy, not dummy.
But then gorf also backs off saying that he doesn't understand DH's intent, when he just gave examples of what the intent could be.
im saying that he’s either dumb with how he’s tryna reach for ways to get the ball rolling (in reference to his questions to you and me on page one, plus his explanations for why he chose to ask us), or he’s scum tryna nab some brownie points. And still I’m not sure if i feel strongly either way

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
Pythag how does the gorf quote you brought up change the situation? Does it change anything or do you still view gorf and I as TvT?

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
On one hand I feel like somi’s been pretty light on meaningful content and despite what people have said earlier someone of her recent posts come off as very guarded to me. On the other hand I like the fact that she noticed this. Hmmmm

#HBC | Gorf

Gorf
Chaco
Frozen Flame
BoomFrog
Somitomi
LaserGuy
Pythag
Malakandra
Kary
Synchronicity (Xivii and Bessie Hydra)
Sabrar
Dark Horse
Wam

unvote

vote wam

#HBC | Gorf

i feel like wam’s been actively lurking behind other people’s opinions and doesn’t have any sort of initiative in his posts

Chaco have you seen malek react badly to pressure as scum? And no one has a good boomfrog read.

I agree with FF gorf looks defensive.
unvote

vote gorf
here is a vote showing support for my wagon, which is arguably the first wagon that had any sort of support at the time. Beyond this he’s had inconsequential content. So a vote for pressure,

Yeah as someone with a similar meta at one point I have used the same defence as scum several times. My vote is now serious.
which turns into a serious vote. i dont understand how to gauge wam’s stance on me after I clarify that I was kidding in my next post though because he has a habit of prodding something and just... losing interest in it in his next post

Sabrar why is not reading the rule alignment indicative?
again, inconsequential and doesn’t go anywhere

Chaco - Is going to go slowly mad

Sabrar - Real Sabrar. I'd been wondering where he'd gone. Nice to finally see him again.

Dark Horse - Aggressive interrogating. I don't agree with his questions but he's leaving a thick paper trail if scum. - likely town

Malakandra - Too cool. But he did like my post calling out Laser for the town read, which means Mala was also sus of the easy town read, so Mala is town.

LaserGuy - Ligit mala analysis, slightly townie

Gorf - Sarcasm shield is slightly townie

Somitomi - Fry with his eyes squinting

Kary - Holding their cards close. But eyes open.

Wam - Minimal content is suspicious, but I'm willing to wait a bit to see what's under the surface.

Synchronicity - Obviously scummy. Policy yeet D2.

Frozen Flame - Hasn't played town in so long he's forgotten how to.

Vote FrozenFlame
Vote Pythag
boom posts a readslist

Is there a way to sort by author? Have we had only 1 post from the hydra?

Boom I agree with others why chaco at the top?
now wam has reads. i don’t get why wam is still voting me when he agrees with booms assessment (slight town). The questions he asks seem to lack any real purpose and his pressure/reads are alongside somebody else. Strongest scum read to me

Top Bottom