• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I have learnt recently with Puff

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I just thought I'd share this. I don't really get gradual increases in skill (cause I'm already really good at x, y and z, the things that hold me back the most are mistakes I don't realize I'm making), so it always feels good when I reach the next plateau in my Brawl game. Thought this might help get people creative with their own playstyles and ****

-I don't always need to have a hitbox out protecting me, the threat of a hitbox often does a better job
-down smash isn't as bad as I thought. Simply because it is her fastest smash and hits low, which isn't a place people usually worry about against Puff
-Have different playstyles and goals in match-ups, instead of just playing Jigglypuff w/ match-up specific gimmicks (for a while I was playing on the ground too often against Diddy, for example)
-Some characters can combo me, so stop DI'ing in in the air against Pikachu/ROB/etc...
-Stop air dodging to the ground, it is bad
-Puff's ground-game (dash-dancing and fox-trotting) mixed in with her air game makes baiting a lot easier in her harder match-ups (DK, Snake, G&W, etc...)
-Stop assuming that aerials will actually be safe on shield when I go deep
-Usmash is great to make reads with, especially near the ledge (it covers a lot of ledge options in some MUs, if you predict correctly)
-Look for situations where rollout can't be punished and use it (near the ledge where it will knock them off if they shield, in the air sometimes, etc...) and don't be afraid to use it only half-charged
-Pound's shield-damage allows for bursts of intelligent aggression after it is shielded, even if punished (as long as the punish isn't hard)
-Rest is amazing and I should use it more when I see long-lasting hitboxes like sex kicks, or when I know I can hit with it out of shield
-Using Pound to stay in the air longer is often a better alternative to using a jump, when it is safe
-Mix up the timing of ledge-hop aerials or I will get predicted and punished
-Don't feel like I have to recklessly approach, just because I don't have the stock lead
-Jab's speed sometimes makes it my most useful option, never forget about it in a pinch
-Likewise for ftilt
-Stop fishing for up tilt, it is too slow and lacks synergy with her playstyle to be used like that
-Nair's speed makes it work in situations where none of her other aerials do, spot these situations better
-Spot dodge and roll more, I've gone from overusing them to never using them

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Uair's hitbox lasts pretty long, good for sweeping under platforms.

Dash grab and boost pivot grab cover a surprising distance

Options out of dair get better at higher percent, but don't try too much until after 50%.

No need to switch directions in midair too much, utilizing air speed is important too.

Rising nair after fair so nice as a gtho move

Don't be afraid to be aggressive far offstage.

I agree with landing with air dodge is surprisingly worse than it appears.

:phone:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Agree with all of that.

-I never use boost grabs, and I should.
-The not changing directions thing is interesting, I'll keep that in mind next time I play
-Rising nair after fair is amazing :D

I still don't think DACUS is very good.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
The more I play the better nair seems to me. It's great out of shield and acts as a good GTFO move when sweetspotted. Additionally, its duration can beat spotdodges, and its sourspot can combo into utilt and grab.

scrub_nugget

Smash Apprentice
My name is scrub, mr. G&W sent me this for you guys on Facebook.

"@grim DACUS is a great option IMO, if nothing else its nice for getting from point A to point B in a hurry. I've found that opponents, when they don't expect it, can easily be combo'd out of the Usmash.

And yeah Nair is sexy.
But this thread had some nice stuff grim, was worth reading."

Also an update: GnW quit, but he has a thread he made for you guys that seems pretty cool.
I'm gonna post it for him later.

scrub_nugget

Smash Apprentice
This ones from me because I like to use puff a little:

I love rest. If you practice it enough you can hit aerial rests all the time. Not to mention the Dair to rest combo.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
While we're adding little tidbits about playing the Puffster well:

People exaggerate how much of a problem her slow fall speed is in terms of getting back down to the stage. With her horizontal airspeed, you can easily just float off to the side and then float back in, and very few characters(MK) are able to safely threaten you in that position. Another method is to simply fastfall dair; it has a nice hitbox and outprioritizes a lot of enemy moves. Just make sure you start early enough so you don't get stuck with all of the landing lag it has.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
While we're adding little tidbits about playing the Puffster well:
Oh I didn't know I was a playable character :D

People exaggerate how much of a problem her slow fall speed is in terms of getting back down to the stage. With her horizontal airspeed, you can easily just float off to the side and then float back in, and very few characters(MK) are able to safely threaten you in that position. Another method is to simply fastfall dair; it has a nice hitbox and outprioritizes a lot of enemy moves. Just make sure you start early enough so you don't get stuck with all of the landing lag it has.
I agree with this. So many times have I gotten away by juking my opponent out with left and right jumps and pounds. If they guess wrong even once you can get to the ground safely.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
If rest were so good then we would see a lot more jigglypuff players. But the move is so unreliable and has high risk with questionable rewards.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Having a 1 frame attack that kills at around 70% on most characters is pretty good imo.

I can bet there are people who could really utlize Rest to its fullest, they just don't play Jigglypuff because she's bottom tier or they don't play brawl in general.

Sure, there aren't combos into rest like there were in Melee, but reads are still very much there.

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Not to burst your bubble, but rest is frame 2, I believe. Also, don't forget those 27 frames of invincibility.

Another thing: I often find that when I knock people to the ground at low percents with bair or nair, they land in the position required for jab locking. I need to take advantage of this more.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Not to burst your bubble, but rest is frame 2, I believe. Also, don't forget those 27 frames of invincibility.

Another thing: I often find that when I knock people to the ground at low percents with bair or nair, they land in the position required for jab locking. I need to take advantage of this more.
You're probably right. But I don't think a single frame difference matters that much, especially since Jigglys invincible during those frames anyways.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You don't need to do a full jab lock, just using one jab to reset and charge a F/Usmash is fine.

-always try to hit with the latest part of pound, it's much more safe and can lead to very good traps ( <3 late pound to grab at low percent)
-rollout beats out like 90% of the ledge options in the game
-most of the time you don't want charge rollout more than one second, as it's the time it takes to get to full speed
-don't be afraid to DI/SDI towards the ledge and even offstage
-use dacus to get your opponent from below when he SHs
-Nair autocancels as soon as the hitbox disappears, srsly Nair is broken

the melon!!!!!

Smash Lord
WilkesBarre-Scranton, PA/State College, PA
3DS FC
0963-1716-1141
I agree with teluoborg with using the late part of the pound, nothing funnier than doing a good old fashioned KillaOR rest to a heavy character (too bad it doesn't work late enough to kill XD, but it's still flashy as hell).

I should actually practice with brawl puff more, I've been doing only melee/projectm this past month :awesome:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
-Go for guaranteed punishes instead of hard, risky ones. You never know when you'll get your next chance to deal damage, with a low tier.
-Perfectly spaced aerials are safe from out of shield retaliation, but predictable timing can get them spot-dodged and punished.
-Stop doing bad pounds! Its slow and gets punished if not perfectly spaced.
-Air dodge approach is always bad without strong momentum and/or a cross-up
-Frame traps and combos don't always work, keep percentage and match-up in mind
-Nair out of shield for its speed, instead of bair/fair out of shield for their reward

IhaveSonar

Smash Journeyman
Utilize dair>followup combos to their fullest extent. Read your opponent's habitual response and punish accordingly.

If they're scared of drill resting and always try to shield? Grab.
If they're scared of grabs and immediately spotdodge? Charge an fsmash or just delay the grab.
If they're... say, MK, and try to spam dsmash after the drill? Shieldgrab.

Top Bottom