• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theytah's Mod School!

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah

Ever wanted to know how to do customize your own content, but don't know where to start?
Having issues with your build that you can't quite figure out?

Then this thread is for you!

I made this thread because I wanted to help share knowledge about smash modding, and with Project M, customization interest is at an all time high. However when I started making mods, it was really hard to find out info on how to do something, be it customizing models, learning texture formats, and other misc stuff that generally confused me.

Here's how it works:
If you have a question that you'd like answered, just post it here and I'll answer it! I'm also going to be making a modding FAQ and putting useful videos/tools etc. on this OP to help educate everyone on how to do certain things. I'll also post on here when I stream myself in the process of making a mod, which I do quite often. Hopefully with this thread, a lot more people will have the resources and knowledge to make their own content!

Useful Videos:
Character, Stage, and Sound Modding

How to make in-game previews for your mods!

How to make custom looped BRSTM song files!

How to replace the intro screen in PM

How to make custom soundpack files with SuperSawndz

How to combine models in brawlbox

How to resize characters in brawlbox

Shader/Material Guide Part 1

Texture Format Guide

Importing/exporting guide

How to change the color of fox/falco's shine

How to use Vertex Color/Alpha

How to make renders

Importing and exporting for 3ds: from scratch to brawlbox

Rigging in 3ds max

Useful Programs and Files:
Programs:
Brawlbox 0.71 (General modding)
3DS Max (Modeling, make a student account and get a free 3 year license)
Audacity (Sound editor)
GIMP (Pretty much photoshop, but free, less powerful obviously)
Adobe Suite (Links to student plans which are a lot cheaper, and you get the whole suite)
SuperSawndz With included .brsar (Sound effect/voice modding)
Dolphin Emulator (Runs Wii/Gamecube games on your computer)
Winimage (For editing virtual SD cards to be used by dolphin)
Brawl Managers (Reccomended versions because the newer ones are janky)
Winebottler (To run .exe files on a mac)
SSSEditor (To edit the order of stages or add new ones)

Files:
Custom Build Folder (Stock PM 3.02 with missing files filled in)
Gecko 1931 (For running the PM on dolphin via the SD card method)
sd.raw (Pre Made PM virtual SD card for dolphin)
Stage Template PSD (For download previews on Brawl Vault)
Character Template PSD (For download previews on Brawl Vault)
CSP/BP/Stock PS Actions (To make ingame previews for characters)
Pink Final Destination stage (For use with the character image scripts)

Modpack Alpha: A huge resource file I made which contains a lot of the above files all in one.

Other Guides and Info:

What you need:
BRSTM manager
a BRSTM file that is the volume you want
the song you want to make into a brstm (you need to remake it if the volume is too high/low)
Audacity
open the song you want to make into a brstm in audacity
go to effect and choose nomalize
after satisfied, go to amplify
play the song that has the good volume with the brstm manager
change the amplitude in audacity and preview it until it about matches the volume of the wanted song
save your song as a WAV file, 22050 sampling (change this at the bottom of audacity)
drag the new wav file into the manager
loop it (see my video on looping if you need)
good to go, you have a fixed up BRSTM!

Note that this only happens every time you import, imported models also lose all custom material settings.

1. open the program
2. when prompted navigate to your project M folder or the root of your sd card
3. navigate to your codes folder in the SD's root and choose the RSBE01
4. navigate to projectm\pf\system and select common5.pac
The program will open and list your stages on each tab, which are as follows:
Stage/Icon Pairs: Shows all stages with their image and file name. this tab shows how the stages are used in the game with the key at the top.
SSS #1: Shows all the stages in order for the first page of the select screen, listing them from left to right on the top, middle, and bottom row.
SSS #2: Same thing as above, but for the second page.
Preview #1: Shows what the first select page looks like ingame. There's a number thing at the top that shows how many stages are listed.
Preview #2: Same as above for the second page.
My music #1: Shows a preview of the first page of "my music" which is in the menu. Also has the counter.
My Music #2: same thing for the second page.

You can change the order of the stages with the up and down arrows on the SSS tabs. I wouldnt touch the ID clickers though. You can also swap stage with the name slider on the Stage/Icon Pairs tab.

You can also add and delete stages with the buttons at the bottom of the program.

Here's a link to the readme.txt that the creator of the program made.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Are you familiar with PSA? I'm currently undertaking a project to give all sword characters infinite sword glow and trail and I need some help. I've successfully completed Marth and Ike, but I'm having difficulty with Metaknight, Link, Toon Link, and Roy.

Last edited:

Patt Anderson

PMPE Architect
Thank you for making this! I'll be sure to reference this if anyone asks me questions.

You're a boon to this community. Hats off to you sir!

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Are you familiar with PSA? I'm currently undertaking a project to give all sword characters infinite sword glow and trail and I need some help. I've successfully completed Marth and Ike, but I'm having difficulty with Metaknight, Link, Toon Link, and Roy.
I have no idea how to do PSAs at the moment, but when I learn I'll report back :)

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Would you happen to know how to move stages around in the stage select in Project M? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with SSSEditor (included in the Brawl managers), but I have no idea how to use it...

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Would you happen to know how to move stages around in the stage select in Project M? I'm pretty sure it has something to do with SSSEditor (included in the Brawl managers), but I have no idea how to use it...
I believe that either the SSSeditor OR the stage manager can move those, not positive, ill check now and edit my message when i find out :)

Edit, figured out some details:
Stage editor cant swap order, but here's how to use the SSSeditor
1. open the program

Stage/Icon Pairs: Shows all stages with their image and file name. this tab shows how the stages are used in the game with the key at the top.
SSS #1: Shows all the stages in order for the first page of the select screen, listing them from left to right on the top, middle, and bottom row.
Preview #1: Shows what the first select page looks like ingame. There's a number thing at the top that shows how many stages are listed.
My music #1: Shows a preview of the first page of "my music" which is in the menu. Also has the counter.

You can change the order of the stages with the up and down arrows on the SSS tabs. I wouldnt touch the ID clickers though. You can also swap stage with the name slider on the Stage/Icon Pairs tab.

You can also add and delete stages with the buttons at the bottom of the program.

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I believe that either the SSSeditor OR the stage manager can move those, not positive, ill check now and edit my message when i find out :)

Edit, figured out some details:
Stage editor cant swap order, but here's how to use the SSSeditor
1. open the program

Is there any certain way I'm supposed to save things?

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Thanks for these. Very well done.

Could you possibly post or link to a tutorial on how to normalize/amplify BRSTMs that are too quiet?
What you need:
BRSTM manager
a BRSTM file that is the volume you want
the song you want to make into a brstm (you need to remake it if the volume is too high/low)
Audacity
open the song you want to make into a brstm in audacity
go to effect and choose nomalize
after satisfied, go to amplify
play the song that has the good volume with the brstm manager
change the amplitude in audacity and preview it until it about matches the volume of the wanted song
save your song as a WAV file, 22050 sampling (change this at the bottom of audacity)
drag the new wav file into the manager
loop it (see my video on looping if you need)
good to go, you have a fixed up BRSTM!

Juken

Smash Ace
Okay, I've got 2 questions that I've been dying to have answered:
1. I was wondering how to edit the FitCharacter files to change what line the characters say for their taunts. I want to make Falco's down taunt say "had enough already?" I know it's possible because I downloaded a mod for Falco that changed his taunt line to that, but it would mess up when I installed it for P:M because it had Falco's brawl moveset in the files as well.

2. Recently, I've gotten this error in 3 situations
- In the main menu when it loads up a "how to play" video
- In training mode, once I select a stage
- In classic mode, when I battle a "team" battle with the army of a specific characters, like "team wario." It happens after the screen that shows who you'll be up against.

Here's a picture of the error:

Galen The Wise

Smash Apprentice
Very noobish question: can I change costumes just by replacing pac and psc files? Or do I also need to replace them as well in the brawl manager? I have some requests to make a build with a whole plethora of particular costumes so I'm just trying to make this less tedious.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Umm... What do I save it as? I click "file" and "save as" and it gives me the option between .gct file format and .txt file format...
It will auto save

Very noobish question: can I change costumes just by replacing pac and psc files? Or do I also need to replace them as well in the brawl manager? I have some requests to make a build with a whole plethora of particular costumes so I'm just trying to make this less tedious.
You can just replace them in the actual files, the manager just makes it easy. This isn't a reuqest thread though.

Last edited:

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Okay, I've got 2 questions that I've been dying to have answered:
1. I was wondering how to edit the FitCharacter files to change what line the characters say for their taunts. I want to make Falco's down taunt say "had enough already?" I know it's possible because I downloaded a mod for Falco that changed his taunt line to that, but it would mess up when I installed it for P:M because it had Falco's brawl moveset in the files as well.

2. Recently, I've gotten this error in 3 situations
- In the main menu when it loads up a "how to play" video
- In training mode, once I select a stage
- In classic mode, when I battle a "team" battle with the army of a specific characters, like "team wario." It happens after the screen that shows who you'll be up against.

Here's a picture of the error:
To replace the lines that they say, you can just replace the current taunt with that new line in sawnds, but I dont know how to edit the PSA for him.
In dolphin, click emulation, and uncheck "read-only mode"

Juken

Smash Ace
It seems to be checked by default, and I can't click it unless the game is running. Then when I click it with the game running, both the game and Dolphin crash.

edit: it seems to have not crashed this time, but it's still giving me the error, even with read-only unchecked.

Last edited:

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
It seems to be checked by default, and I can't click it unless the game is running. Then when I click it with the game running, both the game and Dolphin crash.

edit: it seems to have not crashed this time, but it's still giving me the error, even with read-only unchecked.
Try a different build of dolphin? I haven't had this error before but I dont know, also try adding a memory card or safe file.

Chillmkrzz

Smash Rookie
hi, im kinda new on smashboards but i had download some of your hacks, they are awesome btw, well i have a question, how do you edit fox's shine colors? for example, to make it look like the rainbow shine below
2illkcm.png

AlbobDS

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-8300-2610
So i'm currently working on a build and i was curious, do you know if its possible to change the default rate at how often songs play on a stage? Its a net play centered build, and since its netplay you cant make a save file, so i cant just change it in game. Any and all help is appreciated :D

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
So i'm currently working on a build and i was curious, do you know if its possible to change the default rate at how often songs play on a stage? Its a net play centered build, and since its netplay you cant make a save file, so i cant just change it in game. Any and all help is appreciated :D
not really, besides editing core files the only way would be to do it manually.

Ardent

Smash Advocate
These guides are wonderful! Building my first pack all weekend long! :3 But one question, is there a method to removing character slots? Like all the extra Dr Mario Skins for example.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey the theytah is there a way to modify a stage to have less polygons without making it look bad? (optimally trying to make skyloft run at full speed on weaker computers). What makes a stage laggy? Textures in the background? Textures on the stage itself? Both? Something else? How can I make it less laggy? Replace the background or modify the stage? How would I go about this? Thanks for your help on behalf of not just me but for everyone.

Last edited:

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Is there a reason you do 22050? I've always done 32000 for a couple years now whenever I make custom BRSTMs since the first guide I read stated to do this. What are the differences between sample rates besides just decreasing the file size. I find some at random points, most at 32000, some at 44000 (I think this is the standard), and this is the first time I've heard of 22050.

Just curious is all, never had any problems except for one Temple of Time track that would always go out of wack after a couple months and would require me to defrag my SD card.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
These guides are wonderful! Building my first pack all weekend long! :3 But one question, is there a method to removing character slots? Like all the extra Dr Mario Skins for example.
You could use Cbliss, however I dont dwell with that anymore so I'd be little help, I suggest the Cbliss tool on brawlvault.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
Is there a reason you do 22050? I've always done 32000 for a couple years now whenever I make custom BRSTMs since the first guide I read stated to do this. What are the differences between sample rates besides just decreasing the file size. I find some at random points, most at 32000, some at 44000 (I think this is the standard), and this is the first time I've heard of 22050.

Just curious is all, never had any problems except for one Temple of Time track that would always go out of wack after a couple months and would require me to defrag my SD card.
I bounce back and fourth between 22050 and 32000, for electronic songs and ones with higher BPM, 32000 is best for full quality, however for simpler/slower songs, 22050 is the perfect balance between quality and filesize. The overall sample rate controls how much data is output from the sound's wave information, aka the overall quality output of the sound file.

Also, with how compressed sound mod files (sawnds) need to be to not cause corruption, 22050 is almost mandatory, if not lower, in terms of quality.

Last edited:

Nezha the Scout

Eyyyyyy
TheytahK, you need an assistant to help out answering questions? This is an amazing thing you did, it will help many many people.

I have a ton of free time on my hands. I can help out with stage and character issues.

Ryztiq

Smash Hoo Hah
NNID
Theytah
TheytahK, you need an assistant to help out answering questions? This is an amazing thing you did, it will help many many people.

I have a ton of free time on my hands. I can help out with stage and character issues.
I may correct you a tiny bit, but feel free! :p

Top Bottom