• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

They nerfed the pigeon...

NGW

Smash Cadet
And it was already worse than it was last game :/

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You could get dumb chains into itself at the right distances before this patch, that's probably why it was nerfed.

Brush up on those can skills cuz you can now get them out pretty fast.

Salty dog

Smash Rookie
U wot m8? I labbed out fthrow, can, frisbee, frisbee, upair last week and it did 70 dmg. Frisbee was dhds best kill confirm set up (something he desperatly needed from 4 as gunmen was random). Now gunmen are garbage, frisbee is worse probably on 4 level, and can set ups are hard af to confirm into kills. Im gonna say it, dhd is now low tier, play pacman for a set up based character

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
After doing the pigeon loop in this 2.0 patch myself, I can most certainly say that it kinda still exists. It's just a whole lot tighter to combo it into itself. Imo, Duck Hunt didn't even need the nerf, to begin with, but unfortunately, he got it anyways...

Last edited:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Can you RAR bair it for kill confirms, real question
Hmm... Idk, I haven't tested that out. But I'm positive a more competent Duck Hunt player than myself will find out that million dollar question before I do.

Last edited:

NGW

Smash Cadet
U wot m8? I labbed out fthrow, can, frisbee, frisbee, upair last week and it did 70 dmg. Frisbee was dhds best kill confirm set up (something he desperatly needed from 4 as gunmen was random). Now gunmen are garbage, frisbee is worse probably on 4 level, and can set ups are hard af to confirm into kills. Im gonna say it, dhd is now low tier, play pacman for a set up based character
Maybe I just hadn't gotten used to the changes, but I was able to get way mlre out of it in 4, it was super spammable.

Salty dog

Smash Rookie
Maybe I just hadn't gotten used to the changes, but I was able to get way mlre out of it in 4, it was super spammable.
Spamming that move always leads to a punish. Has like 40 frames of recovery on it. Ultimate ones way better cause you can rar bair it or just up air. In 4 if they DI away they are set free

GUARD

Smash Journeyman
What hurt Duck Hunt here are 2 things...
1st is that you can't side-B to side-B nearly as well. In fact, don't even try it on light/medium weight characters as you'll most likely miss and get punished. The 2nd is that at higher % it's a lot harder to get a down-air/up-air/and sometimes even back-air kill confirms if your opponent DI away from you. Why? .....well more lag after side-B and less hitstun.

I don't like this patch as the side-B was already very punishable if you miss against good players. That being said, Duck hunt is still solid. Love that character! He just takes even more skill than he already did to play.

EDIT: This nerf hurt Duck Hunt a lot more than I hoped. At higher % it's almost impossible to kill confirm with side-B and his combo potential at low % is slightly harder. Duck Hunt takes too much effort now compared to a lot of other characters. I hope they change him up again in a future patch and for the better.

Last edited:

Charu

Smash Cadet
Not gonna lie. This nerf really, uh... well it just stinks in general. I had just gotten use to using Clay Pigeon effectively and then to be handed a nerf made me question why they bothered to buff it in the base game in the first place if they're just gonna revert it back to Smash 4 values.

I got pretty frustrated with it that I almost just went and gave up on Duck Hunt in general. But after a week of stirring in anger at the nerf and playing every other secondary I had but Duck Hunt, I decided to give Duck Hunt another go, I'd just play without ever going for Clay Pigeon like in Smash 4. He's... still alright. Acting out of Trick Shot is definitely an improvement for overall movement options. Now though it feels like you can't really follow up anything. Clay Pigeon was the answer since we could no longer short-hop N-air. Now that it's gone, approach options are just about non-viable. All we got left is a whole bunch of mind games "keep away" games.

Top Bottom