• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

These Cameos are Killing Me! A Rash/Battletoads support thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
f0588cef-2a61-4619-9a66-fe003f70f61f.png

Group 5.jpg

Introduction
The Battletoads franchise was developed in 1991 by RARE in order to rival the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These games cover a wide variety of genres within the same game, with each stage playing differently from the last. The franchise even got a one episode cartoon. While the series has been dormant since the days of the SNES, it has been kept in people's minds thanks to memes and stories of its insane difficulty. This generation, the series has been getting a bit of a resurgence from appearing as guests in Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct to the announcement of a new game at this year's E3.

Who are the Battletoads?

The backstory for the Battletoads is actually very similar to the anime/light novel Sword Art Online. The toads began as human computer technicians and game testers. After they began having suspicions that their boss Silas Volkimore was up to no good, they decided to investigate the office at night and discovered that one of the games they had been testing had been tampered with and were sucked into the game world. There they meet Professor T. Bird who becomes their mentor and trains them to fight the evil Dark Queen.

The Battletoads have the ability to transform their bodies into a variety of different objects such as growing ram horns to headbutt, turning their fist into a giant hammer, and even transforming their entire bodies into a wrecking ball. In addition to this, they can also pilot vehicles such as speeder bikes, jet packs, and hover crafts.

Why should they be considered for Smash Bros.?

Battletoads and RARE have a lot of history with Nintendo. While Banjo-Kazooie may be the face of Rare in the N64 era, Battletoads was among their most iconic games of the NES and SNES eras. They also have a ton of potential to have a very unique moveset. While Banjo-Kazooie is most likely the first pick if RARE was to get a character, I believe the Battletoads are strong contenders for a potential second rep for the company.

Potential Moveset

Warning: This uses a lot of GIFs to show off the attacks.
Gimmick:
In their games, the Battletoads transform their limbs when they are about to inflict the finishing blow to an enemy. To represent this in Smash, one potential idea is to power up their attacks when the opponent is at 100% damage or higher. This would be visually represented by having their limbs transform. If this wouldn't work, just having their limbs always transform for attacks can also work.

Weak Attacks:
A Combo — Kiss My Fist
The Battletoad attacks with two regular punches followed by a big punch where his fist grows.

Kiss My Fist.gif

Forward Tilt — BT Big Hammer
The Battletoad attacks by swinging both hands left then right. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, the attack will be replaced by a giant hammer.
BT Big Hammer (Battlemaniacs).gif

Up Tilt
A short uppercut

Down Tilt — Ball n’ Chain
The Battletoad delivers a leg sweep. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, this attack becomes stronger and his foot is replaced by a spiked ball and chain.
Ball n' Chain.gif

Running A — Charge n’ Barge

The Battletoad delivers a running head butt to his opponent. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, this attack becomes stronger and the Battletoad has ram horns appear on his head.
Charge n' Barge (Battlemaniacs).gif

Smash Attacks:
Forward Smash — Big Bad Boot
The Battletoad punts his opponent. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, this attack becomes stronger and the Battletoad’s foot turns into a big boot and he jumps in the air a bit.
Big Bad Boot.gif

Up Smash — Stone Fist
The Battletoad delivers a fierce uppercut. Normally, his hand just grows bigger (like many of Mario’s attacks), but if the opponent is at 100% or higher, this attack becomes stronger and his fist turns to stone.

Stone Fist.gif

Down Smash
The Battletoad clasps his hands together (like Donkey Kong’s Aerial Forward A) and smashes his opponent into the ground (like Donkey Kong’s Forward B).
Ground Pound (Double Dragon).gif

Specials:
Neutral B — Walker Leg
The Battletoad takes out a walker leg. After striking with this a few times, it leads to a command grab where they lift their opponent up and can choose to either smack them forward or toss them backward.
Weapon Swing.gif

Forward B — Speeder Bike
This could work exactly like Wario’s motorcycle, except they would be using their speeder bikes from the Turbo Tunnel stages.

Up B — Rope
The Battletoad swings his arm like Donkey Kong’s windup punch and throws a rope upwards and attaches to any surface that he uses to swing like Spiderman. If you press B while swinging, he can turn into a wrecking ball and attack the opponent. This can be used as a tether recovery.
Rope Jump.gif

Down B — Drilla Killa
The Battletoad launches forward with an drill, using animation like Metaknight’s Forward B. When using it in the air, it would travel diagonally downwards like Falcon Kick.

Grabs:

Grab
The Battletoads have a tether grab with their tongue similar to Yoshi. Unlike Yoshi, the toads don’t swallow their opponents and only drags them closer like Link’s hookshot. Like the hookshot, the toads can also use their tongues as another tether recovery.

Pummel
The Battletoad kicks their opponent in the gut.

Forward Throw
The Battletoads pick up and carry their opponent similar to DK and can toss them in several directions.
Throw Forward.gif

Back Throw
The Battletoad grabs their opponent’s head and smashes them back and forth into the ground.
Throw Pummel Slam.gif

Up Throw

A simple toss upwards

Down Throw
The Battletoads jump in the air and slam their opponent down similar to DK's throw.
Throw Down.gif

Aerial Attacks:
Neutral A
The Battletoad attacks with his arms outstretched and hitting enemies on both sides.
T Punch.gif

Forward A — Anvil Swipe
Something very similar to Gandondorf's. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, this attack becomes stronger and his hand is replaced by an anvil.
Anvil Swipe (Arcade).gif

Back A — Flying Battleaxe
This attack would look a lot like Fox's. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, the move becomes stronger and his foot could become an axe.

Up A — Soarin’ Saw Blade
The base attack would be a standard somersault kick like Ganondorf. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, the move becomes stronger and his feet are replaced by a Buzz Saw.

Down A — Wun Tun Stomp
The Battletoad stomps down with one foot similar to DK but it causes the Battletoad to drop down like Toon Link’s Aerial Down A. If the opponent is at 100% or higher, this attack becomes stronger and the battletoad’s foot is replaced by a huge weight.

Final Smash
This could play pretty much exactly like Pikachu’s Final Smash. The Battletoad could turn into a spiked wrecking ball instead of an electric one. Afterwards, all of the Battletoad’s attacks can be their fully powered up versions for a little while.

Music:
The Battletoads games have a great selection of awesome music to choose from. Here are just a few examples:

Battletoads & Double Dragon - Title Theme
Battletoads & Double Dragon - Stage 1 Theme
Battletoads & Double Dragon - Dark Queen
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Dark Queen
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Ragnarok Canyon
Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - Turbo Tunnel

Mods:

This is a video of the Rash mod I made back in Brawl for Captain Falcon

Rash

Hopefully there are people out there who are as big a fans of these guys as I am and if not, maybe this thread can help show people how much they can offer to the game. I know it's a long shot but the toads would make Smash TOADally awesome!

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
LOL I've never seen that dance before. That's awesome! I personally prefer the looks from Battlemaniacs or the arcade game but Killer Instinct is good too. it's nice to see there's at least some interest in seeing the toads back.

I think all three toads could share a moveset similar to Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids. The only issue is that they vary in size, but I don't think it would be that weird to all make them the same size for the purposes of being alt outfits.

Since I've never made one of these support threads before, I'm not sure how adding supporters works. Should I add you guys to the support list or would you have to specifically say "add me to the supporters" for me to do that?

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think their size difference would factor too much. I mean all the koopalings vary in size and they made that work. You should only add supporters when they specifically ask for it. Do not put me on the support list. As much as I love Battletoads I'm not a fan of Rare anymore.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
LOL I've never seen that dance before. That's awesome! I personally prefer the looks from Battlemaniacs or the arcade game but Killer Instinct is good too. it's nice to see there's at least some interest in seeing the toads back.

I think all three toads could share a moveset similar to Bowser Jr. and the Koopa Kids. The only issue is that they vary in size, but I don't think it would be that weird to all make them the same size for the purposes of being alt outfits.

Since I've never made one of these support threads before, I'm not sure how adding supporters works. Should I add you guys to the support list or would you have to specifically say "add me to the supporters" for me to do that?
I think you can make the other 'Toads work. The rig/skeleton and hitboxes would be kept the same with the models having a minor variation. I could see Rash being the base, Pimple being a bit bulkier (but not enough to have to chance the rig/hitboxes) and Zits being a bit thinner (with the same consideration as was for Pimple). The could have their differing accessories (ie Rash's sunglasses) and color pallets to make them visually different.

KI really nailed it with Rash's personality and moveset, it's almost eirie how much your posted set shares so much with it. A lot of what you have listed, he does in the game; Axe Foot, Big Boot. Wrecking Ball. Rams Horns, Spike Ball, it's all there. He even uses the speeder bike as an attack that either works as a huge projectile or he can hop on and ride into foes. One of the coolest features, however, has to be that the hits from his Ultra Combo are litterally set to the beat of the pause song.

Also, did you know that the 'Toads made a guest appearance in Shovel Knight? 'Ol "Butt Butt" even has to go through the Turbo tunnel.

Anyway, please add me to the list.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright I added you to the list. They really did do a great job with the moveset in KI. My only issue is they went a bit too realistic for their design rather than their smoother, more cartoony look in Battlemaniacs and the arcade but I totally understand why they did. Rash fits a lot better with the rest of the KI characters this way so I have no issues with it. I did see that they were guests in Shovel Knight, which is really awesome to see. I had pretty much given up on the Battletoads ever showing up again before this gen.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Alright I added you to the list. They really did do a great job with the moveset in KI. My only issue is they went a bit too realistic for their design rather than their smoother, more cartoony look in Battlemaniacs and the arcade but I totally understand why they did. Rash fits a lot better with the rest of the KI characters this way so I have no issues with it. I did see that they were guests in Shovel Knight, which is really awesome to see. I had pretty much given up on the Battletoads ever showing up again before this gen.
I'm honestly surprised it took this long for a new game. The hardcore difficulty and co-op gameplay sounded like a perfect fit for the Xbox.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Glad to have you on the team! I kind of assumed most people haven't played the series since the last game was released in the early to mid 90's on the SNES. The games were really fun but extremely difficult and short so most people that have played have probably never beaten them anyways (myself included).

I just hope the new game is actually good. I'm a bit worried they're going to mess up their designs since the toads have been pretty inconsistent in appearance over the years.

Last edited:

Thewafflemaker2000

Smash Apprentice
I think the battle toads would definitely fit in well in super smash bros and be thier own unique fighters with thier morphing attacks. They should be most definitely be a high candidate for the next retro character like simon, mega man, duck hunt, pacman etc, its a total shock i dont see much support for these guys

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I know it's been a long time since I posted this thread. I just wanted to see if there is any more support for these guys these days now that we already got Banjo and the toads had their new game released.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm here to support! I don't want the reboot, Shovel Knight and Killer Instinct to be the only chances they have for a modern apperance.
Glad to have you on board! Yeah, I definitely prefer have their Battletoads in Battlemaniacs or arcade game designs. I wasn't as big of a fan of their look in the reboot but I'm glad it exists regardless. It would be great to see them in more things from here on.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I slurpport!

The toadally toadacious trio for Smash would be a great addition.

Before Steve got revealed, I was a big supporter of them.

Just this morning I was thinking how magnificent it would be if we get a trailer for Battletoads, and just when we get the

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate x Battletoads

Screens they both squeeze to the left, and another one is added.

Super Smah Bros x Battletoads x Double Dragon

And then the second trailer begins.

Anywho, shape shifting limbs, long tongues, and brutal combat skills, is all I look forward in the toads.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m happy there is at least some interest in these guys this time. They have awesome designs that would toadally stand out from the rest of the cast and have a ton of moveset potential.

The roads have been my brother’s favorite video game characters since we were kids and it would mean so much to him for them to finally make it in after all these years. I feel like now is their best chance of getting in.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I could have sworn there was a completely different Battletoads thread, but oh well. Let's go with this one.

I'm all for them.

Just please don't use the new designs.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I could have sworn there was a completely different Battletoads thread, but oh well. Let's go with this one.

I'm all for them.

Just please don't use the new designs.
Yeah, there is another Battletoads thread in the directory. That one was made in August 2018 but mine was July 2018 so mine was posted first. I'm not sure why that one is on the directory and mine isn't. I totally agree that I want their classic SNES designs if they get in. I have confidence that Sakurai would go with their classic look if chosen.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I support your green web toed friends
Thank you very much 😀. Now that Ryu Hyabusa’s chances have been thrown into question in recent days, that may leave an opening for a different NES or other retro rep. I think the Battletoads are actually a strong contender for a potential NES rep at this point. The only NES character I feel is more likely other than Hyabusa is Bill Rizer from Contra. Bill would be awesome to have too so I wouldn’t complain either way but I feel that the Toads’ moveset would be a better fit for Smash than Bill’s.

I’ve also recently started playing Killer Instinct and I feel they represented Rash’s moveset perfectly. I think that would be a great base to work from translating him and the rest of the Toads to Smash.

On another note, it looks like someone else made a Battletoads thread a couple months after I did and that one is in the database where mine isn’t. I think this may be leading to some confusion and causing people not to support these guys when they otherwise might have. I’m not sure if the other thread creator is still an active member of Smashboards so I have no idea how to resolve this issue.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
TKOWL did a moveset commission for Rash.
That's pretty cool. It definitely has a lot of similarities to the moveset I thought up. I think this would be awesome in Smash and it's so expressive. The main thing I would do differently is having an alt of the other Toads instead of just having them show up in the final smash. Pimple would have to be scaled down to fit but I don't think that it would be much and issue considering Smash is already inconsistent with character scaling.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's pretty cool. It definitely has a lot of similarities to the moveset I thought up. I think this would be awesome in Smash and it's so expressive. The main thing I would do differently is having an alt of the other Toads instead of just having them show up in the final smash. Pimple would have to be scaled down to fit but I don't think that it would be much and issue considering Smash is already inconsistent with character scaling.
I mean, some characters wouldn't work at all if they were up to scale, so I can let it slide. :ultolimar:

Besides, the Toads looked more similar in their earlier games anyway, so. I also think the other Toads should be alts, there'd be no other sensical way to include them otherwise.

Thank you very much 😀. Now that Ryu Hyabusa’s chances have been thrown into question in recent days, that may leave an opening for a different NES or other retro rep. I think the Battletoads are actually a strong contender for a potential NES rep at this point. The only NES character I feel is more likely other than Hyabusa is Bill Rizer from Contra. Bill would be awesome to have too so I wouldn’t complain either way but I feel that the Toads’ moveset would be a better fit for Smash than Bill’s.

I’ve also recently started playing Killer Instinct and I feel they represented Rash’s moveset perfectly. I think that would be a great base to work from translating him and the rest of the Toads to Smash.
It's interesting that you mention Bill, since he was spotted on a supposed leak list of character suggestions that has thus far gotten most of the characters on it represented in the game in some form and/or replaced with a substitute. (:ultpyra::ultmythra::ultkazuya:) However, I don't expect the Toads to get in this time since Microsoft has their bases covered for now, I think. At least the foot (read as: giant boot)'s in the door.

That said, it does help that Sak pays attention to fighting games if he needs source material to yank from, if only a few moves so that his movesets can still stand apart from other people's takes on them for various appearances.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
In a perfect world, we would already have the Battletoads, Fulgore, and Joanna Dark. Hopefully they’ll get their chance another day.

I just thought I’d bring this up, but the creator of the Battletoads and modern DK has a YouTube channel along with David Wise (the composer for Battletoads and DKC). They’re working on a project together loosely based on the Battletoads called Salamandos. They currently have volume one of a short comic.

Here is a fun music video showing it off:

Last edited:
Top Bottom