• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Looks like it's (what was supposed to be) E3 week, Dragonbros, any kinds of announcements you're hoping for?

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Looks like it's (what was supposed to be) E3 week, Dragonbros, any kinds of announcements you're hoping for?
Chances are the Arms Fighter will be revealed and released, maybe a tease/reveal of the next one too.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Chances are the Arms Fighter will be revealed and released, maybe a tease/reveal of the next one too.
Pretty much what everyone's saying. It's going to be a very tense week. People are also suspecting Geno as #7, and if he comes with that Mallow hat we'll be in the best position we've ever been in.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm not really guessing anything. We'll probably hear that ARMS is dropping on the day of the presentation, which a lot of people are assuming will be on the 16th for multiple reasons. Seems like a good thought too. I wouldn't be surprised to get a tease of the next character though.

As for other news, I really hope that TES will get some news somewhere. ESO's had a new player boom recently, and the Greymoor storyline is supposed to go for the rest of the year. Now last year's Season of the Dragon announced the two remaining DLC titles and locations June 9 at their E3 conference, so it's likely that we'll get that info soon. Everyone on the ESO forums is pegging the Q4 DLC (releases Oct/Nov) as the Reach, but nobody knows about the new dungeons we'll get around August.

I could also do with another TESVI tease just to prove they're working on it as well.

But Beth's got Starfield or whatever that new IP is, and they definitely will want to promote that at the expense of everything else. Strange that nobody's really heard much about it...or that nobody really cares that much.

As for Nintendo stuff, I'd love to get a Morrowind/Oblivion remake for Switch, but that's hopeful to the point of delusion. It'd be great if the old Cacomallow stuff comes full-circle in a Dovahkiin playable with DOOM Miis, but that also seems really straw-graspy to me. I don't even know if a Geno reveal would make me think Dovahkiin was likely - I'd fear that's more putting Cacomallow as true and making Doomguy the character.

I just want to see Dovahkiin playable in Smash... Imagining him fighting with Link or Simon... or an awesome Skyrim stage...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'd fear that's more putting Cacomallow as true and making Doomguy the character.
Cacodemon is the mascot of the DOOM series, so it feels general enough to represent DOOM and wouldn't be out of place by itself (Mallow's a different story since it'd be odd for Mallow to be by himself without playable Geno or the return of Geno's Mii costume. ). Now if the hat were something super specific to DOOM, such as Cyberdemon, THEN I'd be worried. Same situation if, say, a mii costume of Piper Wright or Preston Garvey from Fallout 4 were leaked, since they're super specific to Fallout as opposed to Vault Boy who's more general. Either way, I don't think we should worry. idSoft doesn't have as big of a say in the company as Bethesda Game Studios.

If we go by Fatmanonice's "Rule of Two", we could very realistically get a set of Mii Costumes that goes like this:

Cacodemon Hat
Vault Boy Costume
Some kind of Elder Scrolls costume
Gil
Monster Hunter or Rathalos

Five Mii Costumes, just like the Pass #1 packs, and includes two returning 3rd party costumes that are still absent. Plus Rathalos (Dragon)'s resemblance to Skyrim's dragon design makes the costume a good fit for the pack. It also mirrors what we got with Terry's pack, three costumes from the company along with two returning third party costumes that fit the character they come with (armored fantasy characters, just like Terry's fighting game characters).

If anything, if CacoMallow is real, my only big worry is if Cacodemon shows up with the d*** ARMS rep instead, though who knows at this point.

Meanwhile, I still believe that metro's DOOM Eternal interview from January all but completely deconfirms Doom Slayer, it was simply too detailed and intricate, and would've definitely angered Nintendo if it were real. Furthermore, the Cacodemon hat is just a hat, no need to get the developers involved when Bethesda can just give the OK and send a few reference images. The only real reason to get the developers involved (and id's didn't, judging by "it didn't result in anything serious", implying that there was no involvement from them in any kind of meetings/negotiations) would be to make a full character.

Captain, I know you're in Team NDA in this case, but there's a way to make an NDA like that work in our favor. Maybe Marty Stratton was under an NDA, but a loose one. They've heard that something within Bethesda IS getting into Smash but are not allowed to say what it is, but are maybe allowed to say "it isn't us.".

I just wish someone would ask Todd Howard or another of Bethesda Game Studio's major developers so we can fit together the whole puzzle...

Also getting pretty bored of ARMS speculation at this point, but while it doesn't relate to us, which of the characters do you hope to see chosen for the rep? Hoping for an important dark horse like Max Brass or Helix myself.

CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica Also there's some Mii Costume leak some people are following that has an Arle Nadja costume listed, which is good for us in terms of our other characters. I know how much you want to see Tails and I really want to see a second Sonic rep myself (Tails, Eggman, or promoted Knuckles, maybe Vector even!), and if that list is true, it eliminates the character that's probably the biggest threat to them.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Cacodemon is the mascot of the DOOM series, so it feels general enough to represent DOOM and wouldn't be out of place by itself (Mallow's a different story since it'd be odd for Mallow to be by himself without playable Geno or the return of Geno's Mii costume. ). Now if the hat were something super specific to DOOM, such as Cyberdemon, THEN I'd be worried. Same situation if, say, a mii costume of Piper Wright or Preston Garvey from Fallout 4 were leaked, since they're super specific to Fallout as opposed to Vault Boy who's more general. Either way, I don't think we should worry. idSoft doesn't have as big of a say in the company as Bethesda Game Studios.

If we go by Fatmanonice's "Rule of Two", we could very realistically get a set of Mii Costumes that goes like this:

Cacodemon Hat
Vault Boy Costume
Some kind of Elder Scrolls costume
Gil
Monster Hunter or Rathalos

Five Mii Costumes, just like the Pass #1 packs, and includes two returning 3rd party costumes that are still absent. Plus Rathalos (Dragon)'s resemblance to Skyrim's dragon design makes the costume a good fit for the pack. It also mirrors what we got with Terry's pack, three costumes from the company along with two returning third party costumes that fit the character they come with (armored fantasy characters, just like Terry's fighting game characters).

If anything, if CacoMallow is real, my only big worry is if Cacodemon shows up with the d*** ARMS rep instead, though who knows at this point.

Meanwhile, I still believe that metro's DOOM Eternal interview from January all but completely deconfirms Doom Slayer, it was simply too detailed and intricate, and would've definitely angered Nintendo if it were real. Furthermore, the Cacodemon hat is just a hat, no need to get the developers involved when Bethesda can just give the OK and send a few reference images. The only real reason to get the developers involved (and id's didn't, judging by "it didn't result in anything serious", implying that there was no involvement from them in any kind of meetings/negotiations) would be to make a full character.

Captain, I know you're in Team NDA in this case, but there's a way to make an NDA like that work in our favor. Maybe Marty Stratton was under an NDA, but a loose one. They've heard that something within Bethesda IS getting into Smash but are not allowed to say what it is, but are maybe allowed to say "it isn't us.".

I just wish someone would ask Todd Howard or another of Bethesda Game Studio's major developers so we can fit together the whole puzzle...
Good points, I'm just hesitant about speculating too heavily on patterns like this. If anything Sakurai's shown, it's that our patterns and fanrules are not worth the paper they're printed on.

I did let myself get way too deep into Fatman's speculation in January, so I'm trying to really play it safe this round. He's definitely got some solid points, but we've seen that anything can happen. But I have to say: playable Dovahkiin with a Vault Boy Mii is pretty much a dream come true in every possible way. I would absolutely love to see that as the next pack.

It's just a bit disheartening in the general thread that Doomguy comes up so much despite being 'disconfirmed,' and he's still considered the best/only Bethesda character worth the speculation.

Another thing that's tangentially related if there's a Skyrim Mii costume involved: I know a lot of arguments for Doomguy are 'Skyrim can just get a Mii costume, there are so many!' but I really don't know any big costumes they could use that aren't the Dragonborn's outfit. Seriously, Daedric armor? Sheogorath's suit? Yeah there are a lot of armors, but not that many are really known; it's not like we got Mii costumes of the alternate armors from Zelda BotW. I would guess that, since they've probably heard everything by now, it may be likely that we'd get a Doomguy Mii costume as well - I'd guess that instead of the Elder Scrolls costume in your list.

Also getting pretty bored of ARMS speculation at this point, but while it doesn't relate to us, which of the characters do you hope to see chosen for the rep? Hoping for an important dark horse like Max Brass or Helix myself.
Honestly? I really want Springman. I don't know much about the series, but he's the face on the boxart. I still think the best possible circumstance would be him to come with a series of alts (Ribbon Girl, maybe even Min and Ninjara) to bring more faces into Smash and play off of the fact that the moveset will focus on their ARMS and not their individual special moves.

Brass could be cool though, not gonna lie.

Also there's some Mii Costume leak some people are following that has an Arle Nadja costume listed, which is good for us in terms of our other characters. I know how much you want to see Tails and I really want to see a second Sonic rep myself (Tails, Eggman, or promoted Knuckles, maybe Vector even!), and if that list is true, it eliminates the character that's probably the biggest threat to them.
Hadn't heard this one... but Nintendo's been reasonably tight lipped so I'll always start team grain-of-salt.

Still, Tails is a fun case. Yeah Dovahkiin is the character I most want to see in Smash, but Tails is my pick for #1 most deserving. It'd be too perfect to have Mario/Luigi vs. Sonic/Tails battles, especially if we're going to play up the nostalgia angle that a lot of people focus on since almost everyone with siblings either started playing with (S)NES or Genesis...and then someone got to be player 2.

I will say, there's another case of a competing character getting shoved in my face so much that slowly made me start to resent them where everyone's talking about Shadow as the 'only possible next Sonic pick.' Seems that the big characters I like are always being shoved aside because the major fanbase only has eyes for someone else....

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
Pretty much what everyone's saying. It's going to be a very tense week. People are also suspecting Geno as #7, and if he comes with that Mallow hat we'll be in the best position we've ever been in.
I for one do think Spirits are completely out of the picture, but I would be surprised if Seven Stars is given lip service via a Geno costume and Mallow hat.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
It's just a bit disheartening in the general thread that Doomguy comes up so much despite being 'disconfirmed,' and he's still considered the best/only Bethesda character worth the speculation.
Thankfully we at least fare a lot better in the Rate Their Chances thread (We've rated Dovahkiin twice during the past few months, where were you guys? D: ). Doom Slayer is listed as deconfirmed, and when we did a Bethesda-themed rating day, Doom Slayer got an average chance score of just above 1%, while Dragonborn got around 20%. Dragonborn also beat Doom Slayer's popularity average by 3%.

Also, regarding Shadow, I know how you feel. I guess he's the most popular choice since he's considered one of the "big three" assist trophies since Brawl that people want to see promoted.

Regarding Spring Man, I really don't want to see him get screwed over by Min Min, but at the same time I feel like they really dug themselves into a hole by making him an assist trophy. If he doesn't get chosen, people are upset that assist promotions are off the table, and they relegated their main character to an inescapable role. On the other hand, if he's promoted, people will be upset that the first (and possibly only) assist promotion was someone who was JUST added as an assist and promoted for marketing purposes, while long time assist trophies were passed over yet again. It's a very strange situation.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Thankfully we at least fare a lot better in the Rate Their Chances thread (We've rated Dovahkiin twice during the past few months, where were you guys? D: ). Doom Slayer is listed as deconfirmed, and when we did a Bethesda-themed rating day, Doom Slayer got an average chance score of just above 1%, while Dragonborn got around 20%. Dragonborn also beat Doom Slayer's popularity average by 3%.
Yeah, I haven't been to the RTC thread in ages. I used to play that big time, but now 95% of the days are characters I've never heard of before or rerates of the same perennial characters that people talk about as if anything changed for them. That or some fake leak will come out, and then that makes the chance and want scores for some character skyrocket, since 'want' tends to also mean "I 'want' to be right" more than "I want to see the character in Smash." I've seen that I can't predict anything coming, and it gets tiring hearing some people talking up their super niche character as a gaming icon rivalling Mario. After all, I think I've rated Dovahkiin at least three times in the past two years, and nothing's changed in my ratings - and they're also biased based on my favoritism and my pessimism.

I think the most intriguing thing about the ARMS debate is the idea that the character will break a major fanrule whoever it is. If it's anyone other than Springman, then that'd be the first time the mascot of a series isn't the first pick. If it's Min/Twintelle/Ribbons/Ninjara, it's also shooting down Spirits. And of course, Springman kills the 'Assists can't get promoted' rule. And of course, none of that implies that the rule will then become "all assists/spirits/non-mascots are fair game!" since ARMS may just be a special case in itself.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
A big summer sale has just started on the eShop, and Skyrim's one of the featured titles on the eShop front page! Worth picking up the Switch version if you haven't already!

Also good that we keep our discussions going. Increased activity and more consistant appearences on the first page will give us more attention.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Sheogorath Funko Pop and Nine Divines Shrine vinyls arrived today! Managed to get the shrines on a massive discount, and while their build quality isn't fantastic, they have a lot of detail for their price point. I also found it odd that they used the Skyrim box style for Sheogorath when he uses his design from Shivering Isles. Remind me to take a picture later!

How's everyone been?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Another topic, what's your favorite and least favorite shouts?

I prefer more balanced shouts and underdog shouts, Unrelenting Force, Ice Form, Dragonrend, Summon Durnehviir, Slow Time, Disarm.

Least favorite, I like Soul Tear, but its one of the more godly shouts and makes followers unneeded. Storm Call, Become Ethereal, Marked For Death and Dragon Aspect are really godly.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I love Dragon Aspect but I've really come to like the elemental breath shouts in my current playthrough. It's great to have a little magic for a non-mage Dragonborn character!
I also sometimes use Whirlwind Sprint to speed up travel, along with a surprising amount of Kyne's Peace on my Switch version. The Sabre Cats don't respawn by default since their respawn flags were left unchecked, so I like to preserve them!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Hey guys!

Still no news on any front, but I'm still around. Haven't been playing much Smash, but I have been having loads of fun with ESO. It's still just amazing to go around and look at the environment - I'd love to see what they could do with a Skyrim stage in Smash. There are so many good options, and I really don't know what I'd take.
Screenshot_20200609_004811.png

I'm such a bad Skyrim player though - I don't use the shouts much, and if I do it's either Unrelenting Force or Fire Breath.

Become Ethereal is pretty cool, and there's a mod that makes Dragon Aspect more awesome than it is by giving you wings (great up special, btw), but I keep my games pretty mod-free except for realism and texture things unless it's really cool like this.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm low key interested in using mods, but only mods that increases immersion. I would use the followers mod to make anyone my follower, make any house claimable and a respawn mod that uniquely repopulates locations with enemies that make sense to the location after once its been cleared.

Def stay away from them tho. I read into how much moding kills purity.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I'm low key interested in using mods, but only mods that increases immersion. I would use the followers mod to make anyone my follower, make any house claimable and a respawn mod that uniquely repopulates locations with enemies that make sense to the location after once its been cleared.

I am similarly interested in Skyrim mods, maybe some of the wackier ones would be fun to try like once, but not to actually play with.

I have definitely experienced the "ruined purity" aspect of mods with Minecraft. My creations and achievements feel less impressive when I am using mods, despite the fun they can provide. I imagine a similar feeling could happen with Skyrim mods.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I am similarly interested in Skyrim mods, maybe some of the wackier ones would be fun to try like once, but not to actually play with.

I have definitely experienced the "ruined purity" aspect of mods with Minecraft. My creations and achievements feel less impressive when I am using mods, despite the fun they can provide. I imagine a similar feeling could happen with Skyrim mods.
Skyrim mods is like, you can enter the creation club, but can never truly be done with it. Mods will literally make or break the game for you and turn druggy. If you want to save yourself, I would already have a list set, grab them and immediately close the tab.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I've also noticed it makes a lot of people very entitled! Every time I hear "literally unplayable without mods" I want to tear my hair out.

Either way, I usually keep my games either mod-free or very lightly modded myself! I always prefer adding content to the game instead of overhauling existing content. Here's the list of mods I'm currently running:

Climates of Tamriel
Wet and Cold
Holidays
Realistic Water Two
Birds of Skyrim
Shiny Creatures (self made mod that adds the shiny Pokemon mechanic to animals! Give it a try! )
Unofficial Patch
101 Bugs HD
Flora Overhaul (trees only)
Beyond Skyrim: Bruma
Beyond Skyrim: Wares of Tamriel

And the only mods I plan to add in the future are more mods from the Beyond Skyrim series. I like to keep my game lightly modded to preserve the original game, along with not having to spend hours troubleshooting! Along with not having to worry about the risk of save bloat, script overload, or save corruption.

Proceleon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Proceleon
3DS FC
2423-2553-2839
Switch FC
SW-6226-7752-8603
I did just have an idea for a Dragonborn Classic Route.
Dragonborn Route: Civil War
All Dragonborn's matches are based on factions in Skyrim, set in castle-based stages.
Round 1: :ultsamus::ultroy: | Princess Peach's Castle
Round 2: :ultdarksamus::ultike: | Castle Siege
Round 3: :ultlucina::ultrobin: | Arena Ferox
Round 4: :ultwolf::ultchrom: | Reset Bomb Forest
Round 5: :ultsheik::ultsnake: | Dracula's Castle
Round 6: :ultcorrin::ultridley: | Summit
Final Round: Rathalos (:ultsimon: & :ultrichter: as allies)

UserKev

Smash Champion
I've also noticed it makes a lot of people very entitled! Every time I hear "literally unplayable without mods" I want to tear my hair out.

Either way, I usually keep my games either mod-free or very lightly modded myself! I always prefer adding content to the game instead of overhauling existing content. Here's the list of mods I'm currently running:

Climates of Tamriel
Wet and Cold
Holidays
Realistic Water Two
Birds of Skyrim
Shiny Creatures (self made mod that adds the shiny Pokemon mechanic to animals! Give it a try! )
Unofficial Patch
101 Bugs HD
Flora Overhaul (trees only)
Beyond Skyrim: Bruma
Beyond Skyrim: Wares of Tamriel

And the only mods I plan to add in the future are more mods from the Beyond Skyrim series. I like to keep my game lightly modded to preserve the original game, along with not having to spend hours troubleshooting! Along with not having to worry about the risk of save bloat, script overload, or save corruption.
The shiny creatures mod is hilarious and brilliant. I wish they were more inline with Skyrim tho. I like the red Charous or whatever how you spell it. The bear should be white and the sabercat should be silver.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The bear should be white
But you have Snow Bears for that, they're already white! xD
I have considered making a similar mod using the same script that adds immersive but rare variants to animals, and the Silver Sabre Cat would be a good fit for it. Would make for a good mod for players roleplaying hunter characters!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
For me, the 'required mod' is the Unofficial Patch. Otherwise it's all texture replacers and the like. I have a nice one that puts gold trim on the Ebony gear to bring it in line with Morrowind/Oblivion, and I can't see it any other way.

That and a font replacer. I really don't like that default.

---

On another topic, how nervous are we about Monday's reveal?

After the Altaïr Mii costume, it's definitely plausible that Dovahkiin could go the same way, and there are a few people in the general thread already talking about that.

Double edged sword: great that we get some representation, but then that's where it ends.

Honestly, I'm hoping it doesn't happen. If we're gonna get Mii'd, I'd want it in the last pack as more of a consolation prize than anything else. I don't want the hope to end yet.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

After the Altaïr Mii costume, it's definitely plausible that Dovahkiin could go the same way, and there are a few people in the general thread already talking about that.

Double edged sword: great that we get some representation, but then that's where it ends.

Honestly, I'm hoping it doesn't happen. If we're gonna get Mii'd, I'd want it in the last pack as more of a consolation prize than anything else. I don't want the hope to end yet.
I've said it many times (and it will probably come back to bite me) but I really, really don't see Bethesda just getting Mii costumes. It's much different from Ubisoft, who are very close to Nintendo, have had content in Smash since 4, and already had content in Ultimate's base game. It'd be a lot simpler to get a little more from them than it would be to get Bethesda onboard, and I just don't see them going to that effort just for a couple Mii costumes. Ubisoft is still the one and only example of a company without a playable character getting a Mii costume, other than indies. People instantly latched onto it as a means to deconfirm characters, but I feel like Ubisoft will end up being the exception, not the rule.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
For me, the 'required mod' is the Unofficial Patch. Otherwise it's all texture replacers and the like. I have a nice one that puts gold trim on the Ebony gear to bring it in line with Morrowind/Oblivion, and I can't see it any other way.

That and a font replacer. I really don't like that default.

---

Best case scenario outside of a character, imo, is a mii costume with music. I would prefer that at the very least it would be included with a different Bethesda character, but I'll take what I can get.
On the bright side, a Mii costume, would be a good sign for future games and to a lesser extent DLC packs. On the negative side, it's very likely we wouldn't see Dovahkiin in Ultimate

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I'm mentally preparing myself for the ARMS fighter showcase. They always come with additional Mii Fighter costumes not related to the fighter. I still believe that the CacoMallow leak is legit, so I'm worried that means Bethesada characters themselves are out of the question for fighters.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Altair was a thing but I wouldn't worry yet about getting Mii'd, don't give up unless it happens. That said, the Mii Costume presentations are always very nerve-wracking.
Still, Nintendo wouldn't go to Bethesda for just Mii Costumes, considering that Western developers aren't as easy to negotiate with, they'd probably want to get as much as they could if they went to all of the trouble. I get being realistic, but let's not be pessimistic!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...but I'm so good at being pessimistic!

lol

Well, here's hoping we don't get our consolation prize too early; I wanna stay on the wild ride a bit longer. At least I'll have a Skyrim replay to look forward to next year - I have to replay it for the 10 year anniversary.

Sidenote though - have we heard anything from Bethesda at all recently? With E3 being cancelled, announcements aren't dropping in one place anymore and I don't have twitter so I haven't heard anything major. Mainly since last year's E3 announced the other two ESO DLCs for the year and that was early June, but we haven't heard anything concrete so far for this year. I'd expect we should get something soon since the next DLC with the two dungeons should be coming out in August or so.
Dream: it's because they made something that relates to Smash, so they need to hold it to let Nintendo announce Dovahkiin first :p

Oh, and I thought I'd give you guys some pics I took from ESO as well, since Skyrim is as beautiful as ever:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Well, if any of you ever find a skeleton in the pools outside Dragonsreach, it’s me. So long.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Looks like we got a Vault Boy costume, is it game over or is there more to come?

Either way it was an unexpected and fun surprise!

Well, if any of you ever find a skeleton in the pools outside Dragonsreach, it’s me. So long.
and yet the DOOM fans think this is GOOD for them...

Still, if they can hold onto hope, so can we. There's no need to be pessimistic! If we really want to be taken seriously as a contender, we can't let our support die to easily. If anything, this shows that there WERE negotiations with Bethesda (with with the Bethesda Game Studios side!), and we may end up getting more content down the line, so if anything, there's some positive energy from this, too!

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Looks like we got a Vault Boy costume, is it game over or is there more to come?

Either way it was an unexpected and fun surprise!

and yet the DOOM fans think this is GOOD for them...

Still, if they can hold onto hope, so can we. There's no need to be pessimistic! If we really want to be taken seriously as a contender, we can't let our support die to easily. If anything, this shows that there WERE negotiations with Bethesda (with with the Bethesda Game Studios side!), and we may end up getting more content down the line, so if anything, there's some positive energy from this, too!
All though it may not look the best now, there's no sense in giving up hope! There's plenty of potential Mii fighter costumes that could come with Dovahkiin

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I always thought Vault Boy would make a great Mii, but this is the same argument I had about why the Altaïr Mii was probably not good news for Rayman - why not bring out the Mii with the character from that company?

Ah well, I guess I'll stay in Tamriel for a while. Funny, but Smash is the one game series that I really don't go nuts about DLC since very little of it is to my taste.

Stay strong, Dovahbros, and I'll see you all in Tamriel.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If anything, people are MORE hopeful for Rayman due to no content from his games coming with the Byleth Ubisoft costumes. It could be the same case for us. H***, Dragonborn could even pull a Banjo and have completely unrelated costumes come with him.

Remember that costumes aren't always bound by company, either. Capcom's been spreading its' costumes throughout FP1, the aformantioned costume, Ubisoft costumes, and Cuphead. Microsoft owns the Cuphead IP, and remember that the Cuphead costume came with Byleth instead of Banjo!

One more thing to keep in mind is that this confirms that the negotiations for Bethesda were on the Bethesda Game Studios side, and with Doom deconfirmed by interview and Vault Boy out of the running, all of our competition is basically gone! Stay strong everyone, and wait it out until the end! We could be in for a surprise!

Also, CaptainAmerica, with spirits no longer decondirming, Tails is back on the table!!!

EDIT: Looks like Rate Their Chances is getting another fixed schedule, and with it, Dragonborn getting a rerate on the second day of said schedule!

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Microsoft owns the Cuphead IP, and remember that the Cuphead costume came with Byleth instead of Banjo!
I’m like 97% sure MDHR owns the IP. Microsoft has money in the actual game, and that’s why it’s exclusive to Xbox and they sort of needed permission from Microsoft to get it on the Switch. But I don’t know that Sakurai would have had to go to Microsoft for the costume, rather he only had to go to MDHR.

Regardless, I’m not going to fool myself into thinking this could somehow be a good thing. There’s just no reason to think they would announce a random Mii costume from a brand-new company and then follow it up with a character from the same company. Optimism is great, but at a certain point it just seems less optimistic and more delusional.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Regardless, I’m not going to fool myself into thinking this could somehow be a good thing. There’s just no reason to think they would announce a random Mii costume from a brand-new company and then follow it up with a character from the same company. Optimism is great, but at a certain point it just seems less optimistic and more delusional.
That's a fair point!
I'll still hold onto some hope (especially since things could've been shifted around due to corona), but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Either way, I'm sure we'll have more to look forward to in the future! We should keep our expectations in check but not give up entirely. This isn't a de-confirmation at all, even if it hurts! We only truly lose if we stop trying. We need to be persistent. That's how Doom support got as big as it was, and we need to do the same.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
You know what's funny though?

Out of Bethesda's big three properties, Fallout's the one that had the least on Nintendo consoles - they only released a small spinoff port of a mobile game (Shelter). I'm surprised that Fallout 4 never got ported the way Skyrim did, but I suppose it could be coming.

Also, isn't Sakurai on record saying he liked the series? I wonder what he thought of Skyrim. I bet he's played it.

But yeah, this really does feel like the end of the line. There's no reason to bring out a Vault Boy Mii now if another Bethesda character were in the pipeline. Smash DLC always has a way of disappointing me - the first wave kicked off by killing Tails, and now the second wave kicks off by tossing Bethesda under the bus.

Ah well, not like the chances were that big anyway... But now that pretty well every character I support is shot, I kinda don't care what happens with the DLC anymore. I'll probably pop in from time to time if there's any good Elder Scrolls news to share, but I'm probably gonna be off for a bit.

...and I do need to replay Fallout again. It's been a while.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Just had an interesting thought. Sakurai loves to play with numbers. What if Dragonborn were saved for FP11? It's reference 11/11/11, but would also be releasing in late 2021. What else is happening in late 2021? Skyrim's 10th anniversary, of course!

It does seem off for Bethesda to release a costume outside of a Bethesda character, but anything's possible in Smash speculation at this point! I'd wait and see how the next few fighters turn out before truly throwing in the towel. we don't want our support to die again! If the Doom fans don't think it's end of the line, we shouldn't either. Doom's support is only going up, this is NOT the time to be defeatist.

Last edited:

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I'm actually invigorated by Vault Boy's appearance! If both Doomguy is out of the running like that interview seems to imply and the CacoMallow leak is legitimate, then the DOOM content can be released alongside Dragonborn as a playable fighter. I'm not gonna let myself get too carried away, but I'm gonna look on the brighter side here. In that sense, the stars are aligning...

For those worried about Vault Boy possibly deconfirming our dragonboi since Bethesda has not gotten a Mii Costume until this point, and that Mii Costumes from a specific company are normally a packaged deal with a DLC fighter from their company, I get you. It is an important point to bring up. But it's not definitive proof. The only character that this rule can apply to is Joker, who came solely with Persona and Sonic costumes (all from SEGA). All the other characters got their Mii Fighter costumes from just their own series, or had no relation to them at all. Heck, if you discount Cuphead since it's technically owned by Studio MDHR, Banjo and Kazooie got NONE (and currently still don't have any) related to their series, Rare, or Microsoft whatsoever.

It's not over until Dragonborn themselves gets deconfirmed or, even better, confirmed. Of course, keep your expectations in check. But don't lose hope! Anything is possible and pray to the Nine Divines that it can happen!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm actually invigorated by Vault Boy's appearance! If both Doomguy is out of the running like that interview seems to imply and the CacoMallow leak is legitimate, then the DOOM content can be released alongside Dragonborn as a playable fighter. I'm not gonna let myself get too carried away, but I'm gonna look on the brighter side here. In that sense, the stars are aligning...

For those worried about Vault Boy possibly deconfirming our dragonboi since Bethesda has not gotten a Mii Costume until this point, and that Mii Costumes from a specific company are normally a packaged deal with a DLC fighter from their company, I get you. It is an important point to bring up. But it's not definitive proof. The only character that this rule can apply to is Joker, who came solely with Persona and Sonic costumes (all from SEGA). All the other characters got their Mii Fighter costumes from just their own series, or had no relation to them at all. Heck, if you discount Cuphead since it's technically owned by Studio MDHR, Banjo and Kazooie got NONE (and currently still don't have any) related to their series, Rare, or Microsoft whatsoever.

It's not over until Dragonborn themselves gets deconfirmed or, even better, confirmed. Of course, keep your expectations in check. But don't lose hope! Anything is possible and pray to the Nine Divines that it can happen!
Thank you for posting this, this is the kind of motivation we need! Like I said, we become bigger by continuing to push, not giving up!

and like I mentioned earlier, Vault Boy shows that they DID do negotiations with Bethesda Game Studios staff! Combine that with the Metro interview, and it shows that things are much brighter than they seem!

Plus The Elder Scrolls has plenty of Mii Costumes to choose from!

- Miraak Mask + Armor Mii Swordfighter
- Sheogorath Mii Gunner (based on his appearence from Shivering Isles, which recently got a Funko pop)
- Imperial Dragon Armor Mii Swordfighter (Based on the Hero of Kvatch)
- Bonemold Armor with Mohawk Mii Swordfighter (Based on the Nerevarine, sword would be Trueflame)

Plus General Tullius' armor, Ulfric Stormcloak's armor, and much more, they could easily make a costume pack!

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
A few thoughts I had while trying to be more hopeful for Dragonborn -

He could still be coming as a Mii costume. Perhaps they didn't want to release him alongside Vault Boy simply because Vault Boy's announcement would have overshadowed him. No matter what, a Dragonborn costume would be just a costume - like Altair, Heihachi, etc... Vault Boy (like Sans and Cuphead) is marketed more as a new 'character' because their Mii features are basically non-existent. So far, only these three have gotten the special trailers, and Dragonborn likely wouldn't, given that he would be just a costume. I doubt 'overshadowing' is really something that would matter to Bethesda, but hey, you never know. I know a Mii costume isn't something everybody would be thrilled about, but from the beginning I've said I personally would be over the moon to get a Mii costume - I just wanted him represented, you know?

Now, for the big IF -

Dragonborn could still be a character, and he has another 'Premium' costume coming with him... a certain mean, green, demon slaying machine. Doom Slayer could be a 'Premium' costume in the sense that his helmet could be opaque and completely cover the Mii head - and I would hope that they'd give us a kickass remix of E1M1 with him. We've never gotten more than one 'Premium' costume per wave, so perhaps that's why Vault Boy was moved to another wave. What this (unfortunately) doesn't explain is why they would move him to a set before the character announcement instead of after - and that's the biggest reason that makes me think we aren't getting a full-on Bethesda character. This has never happened with a company before - granted, the evidence is minimal - but I just don't see a reason why they would choose to do it that way... unless it's a really good example of subverting expectations.

So, those are my 'think positive' thoughts. I still honestly don't think we're getting anything else from Bethesda. I just have this nasty gut feeling that Mii costumes are complete Sakurai picks. (Remember how Iori got a costume after Sakurai praised his design? Or how Ninjara got a costume after Sakurai told us he was one of his potential ARMS picks?) We know Sakurai has played Fallout. Maybe he just doesn't care about TES or DOOM, and maybe Bethesda was just so happy to get anything that they didn't want to try to force anything on him. But I still wanted to try to be a little optimistic, even if I am still willing to bet 200 septims that we end the DLC with nothing to show for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom