• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Talos guide you, too! We'll all be praying, and hopefully by Thursday evening we'll all be celebrating in Dragonsreach with bottles of Honningbrew Mead and a vat of Surilie Brothers Wine!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
...do rituals work?

IMG_0815.jpg

I'm hoping we have some good news coming, but I'm seriously starting to worry. This really does feel like our last shot since Skyrim is - let's face it - over 8 years old at this point. The fact that it's plausible and people are starting to throw the name around just makes it that much worse if things don't go our way.

My biggest fear right now is Doomguy. Again, nothing against the character, but we still have yet to see any one company get two characters for DLC... and Bethesda isn't exactly a company rivalling Capcom in terms of how many characters they offer and how hotly they're requested. The Mii costume leak really favors Doomguy, and now that everyone is analyzing pixels...well, it does look better for Doom than it does for us.

Again, if we did get both, I'd be fine with it. But even then, I feel that if Dovahkiin got in first, Doom has the history and fanbase to make a case for addition. If Doomguy's first, I don't think that'll work both ways.

January 16th could really be a Elder Scrolls fan's dream if all of the announcements work out right. But nothing's guaranteed...

Good luck all!

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Let the Elder Scrolls foretell the coming of the Dragonborn!

Any (presumably) last minute concepts for Dragonborn in Smash (moveset, stage, spirits, etc.)?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Semi-supporter here wishing the diehards good luck! I think Dragonborn has quite a good chance.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Any (presumably) last minute concepts for Dragonborn in Smash (moveset, stage, spirits, etc.)?
That he's in? That's really about it, to be honest.

Yeah, I'd hope that he comes with a male and female version and each has a few races to choose from; that one of the males is an Orc since I've favored them recently; that Unrelenting Force is the neutral special so Kirby can steal it; that we get some awesome songs like the Dragon battle songs and the main theme; that the stage has a day/night cycle and shows the northern lights periodically; etc...

But realistically, I just want him in. This past month has been such an emotional rollercoster - I've been so hyped about possibility and so bummed that it may not happen lately, and I'm really remembering why I walked away from Smash for a while. May have to do the same again soon. Dovahkiin's pretty well my only wanted character left who hasn't been assist trophied/mii costumed/spirited already, so...

I had to stop looking in the other threads already, and I think it's time for me to pop off of Smashboards. I'll be back tomorrow for the aftermath, and then I'll go from there.

But at least this has gotten me pumped to play Skyrim one more time. I've been stalled out on ESO since I keep checking the boards incessantly, so I guess I'll soon have an excuse to go back to ESO and find out about where they're going, or I'll be playing Smash pretty well nonstop. Hopefully the latter, but we'll see.

My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Regarding the pixel theory, I really don't believe that it points to Doom Slayer at all. I took another good observation of the picture and noticed that greenish (and blueish) splotches were all over him if you zoom in, and most of them aren't on the edge. This is most visible with his jacket and hair, and is just a result of lighting and image compression. I checked the whole outline and only found brown on his arm and a bit of light grey on his head. No Doom Slayer armor tones to speak of.

Our ancestors are smiling on us, and I don't think the Doombros can say the same.

Example images, with saturated versions to make it easier to see:

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Our ancestors are smiling on us, and I don't think the Doombros can say the same.
I hope you’re right, at this point all my optimism from a few days ago is gone lol. With the comment from Zippo (which could be false, but who knows), and now it seems like Fatman is already preparing as if he knows his prediction for Dragonborn is wrong.

I’ll never stop being hopeful, but at this point my expectations have been severely tempered. I always felt FP5 would be Dragonborn’s last shot, cause future DLC would be late enough to see the sudden surge of demand for Doomguy and make him the hypothetical Bethesda rep.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I hope you’re right, at this point all my optimism from a few days ago is gone lol. With the comment from Zippo (which could be false, but who knows), and now it seems like Fatman is already preparing as if he knows his prediction for Dragonborn is wrong.

I’ll never stop being hopeful, but at this point my expectations have been severely tempered. I always felt FP5 would be Dragonborn’s last shot, cause future DLC would be late enough to see the sudden surge of demand for Doomguy and make him the hypothetical Bethesda rep.
Yeah, I was trying not to get too hyped before, but it was hard to keep everything under control. But pretty well since the announcement, I've just been depressed as if we already got the bad news. There's a reason I hate watching any kuind of competition - I try and try not to get invested, but I can't help getting swept up and I can't control my anxiety well...I've been having problems sleeping for the past two weeks just due to the tension, and now this looks like it'll be a massive letdown. Smash speculation is really not healthy for me, and I'm definitely going to be leaving for a while after this.

I originally really excited for more DLC since I figured it was more chances, but this past month has really made me think that FP5 is it for our chances. There's really been no major campaign for Dovahkiin, so it's unlikely Nintendo would consider it if they hadn't chosen it already. Besides, no company's ever gotten more than one DLC character in the same game yet. Maybe if Dovahkiin got in first, the fanbase for Doomguy could carry him in as well and we could get both. But If Doomguy gets in first, I don't think there's enough of a pull for us. Skyrim's older than Sm4sh, to be fair, and people really aren't pulling for it.

There are way too many similarities between Steve/Banjo and Dovahkiin/Doomguy for comfort, so it's very easy to see that the same thing could be happening. And most people would be thrilled by that, so good for them. Me? I've now seen every single character I wanted shot down as assist trophies/spirits/mii costumes already, and I'm personally not excited about any of the DLC so far except potentially BK, so I'm about done playing the Smash speculation game. I've got plenty to do with ESO, and this thread for the last month has really gotten me wanting to boot up Skyrim again, so it looks like I'm gonna be taking a long break.

I think right now I'm thinking it's probably a 90% chance it'll be Doomguy, mainly since that's the worst outcome for us. The Cacodemon thing really points to Doom more than anything else, and I think someone said that one of the developers was hinting at a reveal that Nintendo fans would like. Otherwise, I'd probably say it's about 5% Dante, and the rest divided between Lloyd, KOS-MOS, and Arle...not that I really know any of them either.

I suppose the only possible way we could still get out on top even if Doomguy is in would be if Bethesda was super nice and helpful, and they gave us a two-for-the-price-of-one pack with both of them. Or if Doomguy is fully in under idSoftware as a trademark, which could possibly lead to another character from Bethesda proper if they decide on that for later DLC...even with as little a fanbase as we have. But those scenarios are both so unlikely they make most of the straw-grasping theories around here look sane.

I'm still wishing, but I've been preparing for the worst. You remember that scene in the Winter Soldier where the helicarrier is going down and Cap fully doesn't expect to make it out? That's where I am right now... except I doubt there'll be someone to come by at the end.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah, I was trying not to get too hyped before, but it was hard to keep everything under control. But pretty well since the announcement, I've just been depressed as if we already got the bad news. There's a reason I hate watching any kuind of competition - I try and try not to get invested, but I can't help getting swept up and I can't control my anxiety well...I've been having problems sleeping for the past two weeks just due to the tension, and now this looks like it'll be a massive letdown. Smash speculation is really not healthy for me, and I'm definitely going to be leaving for a while after this.

I originally really excited for more DLC since I figured it was more chances, but this past month has really made me think that FP5 is it for our chances. There's really been no major campaign for Dovahkiin, so it's unlikely Nintendo would consider it if they hadn't chosen it already. Besides, no company's ever gotten more than one DLC character in the same game yet. Maybe if Dovahkiin got in first, the fanbase for Doomguy could carry him in as well and we could get both. But If Doomguy gets in first, I don't think there's enough of a pull for us. Skyrim's older than Sm4sh, to be fair, and people really aren't pulling for it.

There are way too many similarities between Steve/Banjo and Dovahkiin/Doomguy for comfort, so it's very easy to see that the same thing could be happening. And most people would be thrilled by that, so good for them. Me? I've now seen every single character I wanted shot down as assist trophies/spirits/mii costumes already, and I'm personally not excited about any of the DLC so far except potentially BK, so I'm about done playing the Smash speculation game. I've got plenty to do with ESO, and this thread for the last month has really gotten me wanting to boot up Skyrim again, so it looks like I'm gonna be taking a long break.

I think right now I'm thinking it's probably a 90% chance it'll be Doomguy, mainly since that's the worst outcome for us. The Cacodemon thing really points to Doom more than anything else, and I think someone said that one of the developers was hinting at a reveal that Nintendo fans would like. Otherwise, I'd probably say it's about 5% Dante, and the rest divided between Lloyd, KOS-MOS, and Arle...not that I really know any of them either.

I suppose the only possible way we could still get out on top even if Doomguy is in would be if Bethesda was super nice and helpful, and they gave us a two-for-the-price-of-one pack with both of them. Or if Doomguy is fully in under idSoftware as a trademark, which could possibly lead to another character from Bethesda proper if they decide on that for later DLC...even with as little a fanbase as we have. But those scenarios are both so unlikely they make most of the straw-grasping theories around here look sane.

I'm still wishing, but I've been preparing for the worst. You remember that scene in the Winter Soldier where the helicarrier is going down and Cap fully doesn't expect to make it out? That's where I am right now... except I doubt there'll be someone to come by at the end.

I agree that we shouldn't expect the best, but we also shouldn't let the Doomguy hype get us down. Just because Sakurai mentioned John Carmack in the past doesn't mean it'll be Doomguy, and FP5 was picked before his hype had even started. Furthermore, the recent developer comment was Pete Hines simply saying "Ask the Smash Ultimate Dev team" in response to a question about Doom representation in Smash. Key word is representation. For all we know CacoMallow could be real and the Cacodemon hat could still come with Dragonborn, and that could be the representation he's referring to. A vague response to Doom getting any kind of representation doesn't mean a character.

Though I know how you feel, I've been super stressed out ever since the presentation announcement and the Zippo comment, but we still have nothing for certain on FP5. Plus a lot of people still consider Dragonborn a viable speculation option even after all of this, the optimism from a few days ago has died down but we should keep our heads up and not let the Demon Slayer stand in the way of the Dragon Slayer.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I agree that we shouldn't expect the best, but we also shouldn't let the Doomguy hype get us down. Just because Sakurai mentioned John Carmack in the past doesn't mean it'll be Doomguy, and FP5 was picked before his hype had even started. Furthermore, the recent developer comment was Pete Hines simply saying "Ask the Smash Ultimate Dev team" in response to a question about Doom representation in Smash. Key word is representation. For all we know CacoMallow could be real and the Cacodemon hat could still come with Dragonborn, and that could be the representation he's referring to. A vague response to Doom getting any kind of representation doesn't mean a character.

Though I know how you feel, I've been super stressed out ever since the presentation announcement and the Zippo comment, but we still have nothing for certain on FP5. Plus a lot of people still consider Dragonborn a viable speculation option even after all of this, the optimism from a few days ago has died down but we should keep our heads up and not let the Demon Slayer stand in the way of the Dragon Slayer.
Honestly, at this point, I think the timeline I’m worried about is: Cacomallow is fake, FP5 is just not a Bethesda character, a Bethesda character is in the works for later but was chosen after they saw the surge of demand for Doom Slayer.

I think it all comes down to timing. I think if a Bethesda character was chosen for the fighters pass, especially if Nintendo really did choose the lineup, it would be Dragonborn over Doom Slayer for a plethora of reasons, but if a Bethesda character was not planned early on, and we assume that Sakurai wants to satisfy fan demand with the rest of the DLC, it’s pretty obvious who he would pick.

But that’s just my theory, and I hope to Talos it’s wrong.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Honestly, at this point, I think the timeline I’m worried about is: Cacomallow is fake, FP5 is just not a Bethesda character, a Bethesda character is in the works for later but was chosen after they saw the surge of demand for Doom Slayer.

I think it all comes down to timing. I think if a Bethesda character was chosen for the fighters pass, especially if Nintendo really did choose the lineup, it would be Dragonborn over Doom Slayer for a plethora of reasons, but if a Bethesda character was not planned early on, and we assume that Sakurai wants to satisfy fan demand with the rest of the DLC, it’s pretty obvious who he would pick.

I'm sure Akatosh will bless us with a good timeline! But I agree, we have to hope.

And if we succeed, we're hiring Renod Even-Toned for the victory celebration

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

There's just so much that is up to chance at this point, and it's freaking me out.

If FP5 were a non-Bethesda character, we might still have a chance, but the Doomguy demand has been loud and clear...in the West. If FP5 is Doomguy, we're done for. Both Dovahkiin and Doomguy have great reasons for getting in, but both have reasons they wouldn't.

I'm team real for Cacodemon, but that looks more like a costume that'd come with Doomguy. Now there could be a chance that it could come with Dovahkiin as a 'Bethesda celebration,' probably with a Doomguy Mii and maybe a Vault Boy Mii, depending on what they made and how well they think those characters would be received - let's face it, Skyrim doesn't really have any obvious Mii costumes that could come with it... there are no iconic cute little enemies (I can't see too many people excited to wear a skeever hat), the armors are all relatively generic so nothing special there beyond the Dragonborn's armor ("Oh I hope they have the Steel Plate armor!"), and there really aren't any major characters with iconic outfits either. There's a chance, but it's a lot more straightforward to say "Here's cacodemon with Doomguy-the-character. Skyrim gets nothing."

And if we succeed, we're hiring Renod Even-Toned for the victory celebration
It'd be nice, because right now it sounds like Lurbuk's hosting the party...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
...in the West.
That's something people keep forgetting. Doom has little to no presence or demand in Japan, while Japan likes the Elder Scrolls (and Avatar characters, which Dragonborn is). People have translated Japanese comments about Doom Slayer and there's a lot of dismissive or reluctant comments about him. H***, someone even called him Green Samus. Nintendo considers their home market first and I don't see them choosing a character that wouldn't do well in Japan.

There's also the fact that most of the yet-to-return mii costumes are armored sword wielders from (mostly) open world RPGs. A perfect group for Dragonborn.

Also unless something changed, it seems that Sabi and Vergeben's Doomguy deconfirmations still stand.

Last edited:

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
As far as I know, Verge is still pretty credible when it comes to Smash. Aside from the Minecraft content coming to Smash, which VERY arguably still has time to make it into the game, everything he has predicted has come true.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, he's been wrong about other games in the past. So he is not infalliable by any means, no matter how right about Smash he's been. The huge deconfirmation list he posted (and since retracted from) has enough in it to make me question if it's right. If he is right, that would be absolutely insane. If he's wrong, I won't be surprised.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
He reposted the list about an hour ago, and is committing to it while also adding a deconfirmation for KOS-MOS. Things could be looking hopeful for us after all!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm not taking much stock in leakers right now - how can you know who it's not if you don't know who it is... especially at this point. And that Zippo comment about it being someone who's closely associated with Nintendo is really making me think Prof. Layton as well, but again, I don't know Zippo, and that is a vague enough statement that may have been retracted? Who knows.

I've stopped checking the general thread ages ago, so all I have now are my hopes and fears.

But it's off to work for me anyway, so I'll have to check any updates later. I know GoT isn't Skyrim (but close enough), so I guess now we just need to listen to the Three Eyed Raven: "The past is already written. The ink is dry." At this point, the character is done, and likely releasing soon, whether we're going to be celebrating or not. We'll find out in a half hour. And I'll be back later today to stop by, and then I can see if I'll be taking a break or not. Besides, at 5pm, we'll be hearing about Skyrim for ESO, so at least there'll be something I can discuss then.

So in my tradition of posting Avengers memes...

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I suppose we live on to fight another day.

I’m still of the mind that it’s now too late for Dragonborn, but I’m at least moderately optimistic, and I’d be very happy if he was even just a Mii costume—I’ve been playing as a Dragonborn Mii in the Black Knight’s armor for months now. I do think it’s interesting that Bethesda clearly was not chosen for the initial DLC lineup, despite their support for the Switch.

As for Byleth... I’m not mad in the slightest. I loved Three Houses, and was hoping Byleth would happen eventually. Can’t believe it happened this early on though, and it honestly makes me even more upset that Rex got scammed lol.

I probably won’t be here as much for the next few months... I think I want to take a step back from speculation and insiders and all that. I get way too invested, and it’s pretty clear that these insiders don’t know what in Oblivion is actually happening at Sakurai HQ.

In the words of Chrom...
“I suppose I’ll get my chance... another day.”

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I guess this is why you shouldn't put too much stock into leakers and rumours. All this talk of a third party from a small list of not-deconfirmed companies ended up going kaput. Happy about Byleth though.

I don't know what this means for Dragonborn, but I'd still be happy to see them in.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I probably won’t be here as much for the next few months... I think I want to take a step back from speculation and insiders and all that.
Same, I'm going to greatly reduce my involvement around here outside of threads like this and Rate Their Chances. It's just too stressful.

That and I'm already sick of people bragging about Three Houses... (no offense to anyone who likes it of course. But some people are just being super obnoxious). I do think that FE is overrepresented and I don't like the precedent that every new game is basically guaranteed a character, but I'm happy to see fellow Dragonbros with smiles on their faces.
(Also I've been playing xenoblade 2 on and off lately, and while I think the gameplay isn't my cup of tea, I do agree that Rex got completely scammed. Ultimate coming so soon after 4 was what really hurt Rex.)

Also the last real indication of Bethesda and Smash was early 2018 and that would've been FP1 territory, so this worries me. Though at the same time it also hurts Doom Slayer, so it's not like we lost much ground in the end.

But looking to the positives, we live to fight another day, red legions. No deconfirmations to worry about aside from a potential confirmation that Spirits do indeed deconfirm (which would block Geno and possibly CacoMallow in the process). Plus the armored open world RPG costumes that could come with Dragonborn like Lloyd, Gil, and Monster Hunter are still nowhere to be found.

For now, let's take a seat and relax in the Winking Skeever with a bottle of mead. Speculation is stressful and we need a break.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
But looking to the positives, we live to fight another day, red legions. No deconfirmations to worry about aside from a potential confirmation that Spirits do indeed deconfirm (which would block Geno and possibly CacoMallow in the process). Plus the armored open world RPG costumes that could come with Dragonborn like Lloyd, Gil, and Monster Hunter are still nowhere to be found.
Did Sakurai mention something about spirits during the presentation? I might have missed it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Quick Question. Never got into skyrim, and meh at this as a fighter, but, think if they do get in, they would have different Genders and species as alts? Lizard and Cat girl options maybe?

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Quick Question. Never got into skyrim, and meh at this as a fighter, but, think if they do get in, they would have different Genders and species as alts? Lizard and Cat girl options maybe?
Best case scenario, yes. However since that might cause problems with the character, it might leave out the less-humanoid looking races to avoid model problems. I think the elves could still get in though.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Best case scenario, yes. However since that might cause problems with the character, it might leave out the less-humanoid looking races to avoid model problems. I think the elves could still get in though.
perhaps, but it would be cool to have such a huge variation of character designs.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The t
The tails wouldn't require much extra rigging and aside from Morrowind, they're always depicted with human postures. So I doubt it'd be an issue.

KahunaLagoona DX

Smash Cadet
Not jumping in for support for a character, more just wanting to support the series. I'd kinda like a stage and some music, or at the very least music so I could have something to fit for a custom stage. I want to make Throat of the World but I suck with the Stage builder.

(I mean, I have 25 characters I plan to playthrough on PC alone, barring Switch, PS4, PS3 releases as well...)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Well, that was... unexpected.

I guess it could have gone worse for us. Congratulations to the people who got someone they wanted!

I was pretty well figuring that this would be the last time I let myself get wrapped up in speculation. I get anxious about things way too easily, and if the DLC is already chosen, it's not like we'll influence anything. Besides, the only thing that's certain about Sakurai is that he loves to break his own patterns.

To be honest, I'm not overly hyped about any of the DLC so far except maybe, possibly Banjo-Kazooie. I'm not interested in JRPGs, and now 3/5 of the DLC are all from JRPGs. I've also been turned off from Fire Emblem since the Sm4sh era as well - it's an occupational hazard of being a Zelda fan, seeing that Zelda's got now two fewer characters (and two fewer unique characters) than Fire Emblem...and two of the Zelda characters even have movesets that are not entirely pulled from canon sources either. Even just giving Ganondorf his own victory theme would have helped, but instead Corrin and the Awakening crew all got unique ones...

Ah well, I guess I'll choose when and if I want to buy any of them.

I suppose we live on to fight another day.

I’m still of the mind that it’s now too late for Dragonborn, but I’m at least moderately optimistic, and I’d be very happy if he was even just a Mii costume—I’ve been playing as a Dragonborn Mii in the Black Knight’s armor for months now. I do think it’s interesting that Bethesda clearly was not chosen for the initial DLC lineup, despite their support for the Switch.
I think I'm also going to be taking a hiatus. I found that I handled Terry's announcement well - considering I wasn't following anything at the time and it just popped one day. I guess that's the best tactic to take here. I suppose I'll be back at E3 when we get the next character or two announced. I'll still hope for the best, but I'm not going to check here obsessively.

It seems like a Mii costume may be the best we can get at this point. I'll take it, but it really won't feel right without being able to use the shouts or seeing Kirby with the helmet. But Skyrim is now over 8 years old, so it's looking less likely every day.

I wonder if maybe they shuffled their release schedule around when more DLC got approved, and maybe Byleth was supposed to come later... I guess it's not important.

As for me, every character I could have possibly wanted except Dovahkiin is now stuck as a Spirit or Mii. Assassin's creed was pretty well next on my list as the "I'd be happy, but not sad if they missed out," and now that one's a costume as well. Man, I know how to pick them...

Well, for anyone who's interested: ESO did announce Western Skyrim as the next chapter, and it's got a storyline revolving around the Vampire Lords, featuring Solitude and Blackreach. The chapter is out in June... and I think there's an arrow-in-the-knee emote with the collector's edition.

I'll pop back every so often, but I'm mostly going to be back in Tamriel for a while. Stay strong, Dovahbros. We'll meet again in Sovngarde.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Well that was not what I was hoping for. Even as a Fire Emblem fan, I'm pretty whelmed. I wish they had gone for one of the house leaders over Byleth, or even the PT trainer style with the three of them like everybody's been saying. But alas, not the case. I'm not as upset as most people seem to be, but I still think it could have gone better.

Anyway, as for Dragonborn, I will admit the rumors/speculation flowing around him these past couple of weeks got me pretty excited, and it's sad to see them seemingly not being true today. But if you'll allow be to take a glass half full viewpoint: there's 6 additional character slots left to be filled (technically 5 because let's face it, one is going to a Gen 8 Pokémon). There's still plenty of opportunities for one of those to be Dragonborn.

Keep in mind that we still have the confirmation that talks between Nintendo and Bethesda regarding Smash Bros have in some way happened. Phil Spencer had posted on Twitter his support for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash years before they were revealed, and Cuphead's creators had said they desperately wanted their character in Smash. Look what happened to those two! Bethesda's got a leg up on those by confirming these talks (presumably in a business-sense) of their character in Smash with Nintendo.

Not to mention that the Cacomallow leak still hasn't been undoubtedly proven wrong as of yet, although this could go either way between Dragonborn and Doomguy.

So I think it still is VERY possible for a playable Bethesda rep (which I personally hope is Dragonborn) to join the fight. I should mention that is IS still possible that this can't happen or ending up with just a Mii Costume. So keep your expectations in check, but have faith, and pray to the Nine Divines that there's still a chance!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Considering the rumors that 5 and 6 were switched, and Sabi saying that Cacomallow wasn't #5, the next slot could honestly be out big chance! The next pass will probably open with a heavy hitter like the first one, and I think that if the swap theory is true, then any rules for #5 originally may swap over to #6. Fatman is still saying that Dragonborn could be coming, so hopefully next month we'll get some answers!

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I'm not putting too much stock into Fatman, but I still think Dragonborn has a good chance. Skyrim getting revealed alongside the Switch in its first trailer will hopefully count for something.

Speaking of, does anyone know if Sakurai's played any Elder Scrolls games?

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of, does anyone know if Sakurai's played any Elder Scrolls games?
Given how many games the man plays, I’d be shocked if he hadn’t. I know for a fact he’s played Fallout 3, during the Smash 4 DLC cycle he complimented FO3’s DLC as a good bang for your buck. Apparently he streamed Fallout 4 at one point, but I haven’t dug enough into that to find proof.

Wouldn’t that just be it? We get a Bethesda character and it’s a Fallout character over Dragonborn or Doom Slayer... Sakurai bias strikes again lol

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Given how many games the man plays, I’d be shocked if he hadn’t. I know for a fact he’s played Fallout 3, during the Smash 4 DLC cycle he complimented FO3’s DLC as a good bang for your buck. Apparently he streamed Fallout 4 at one point, but I haven’t dug enough into that to find proof.

Wouldn’t that just be it? We get a Bethesda character and it’s a Fallout character over Dragonborn or Doom Slayer... Sakurai bias strikes again lol
It does show that he has an interest in Bethesda Game Studios' games, and honestly what you presented there is much more significant than the Doombros' one-off mention of John Carmack.

While it'd be a bad result for our purposes, it'd at least be amusing if Vault Boy was the first post-pass character since his fighter number would be 76. xP

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
My apologies for the double post, but today I learned that apparently Byleth's weapon switching (I was too annoyed to pay attention to the moveset analysis in full) is just he/she using different weapons for each of his/her specials and stuff (such as one move being Edelgard's Axe, one being Claude's Bow, etc), rather than being a true dedicated weapon switch.

So this mechanic is open for use, a Down B weapon switch that grants the user a specific weapon type for their normal moves.

What better character to utilize this than the Dragonborn?

He could switch between four different styles for his A and pummel moves: One handed with a shield (could be Sword, Mace, or Axe based on alt chosen), Two Handed (Greatsword, Battleaxe, Warhammer, depending on alt), Bow (with crossbow for Smash attacks) and Magic (stronger spells for Smash attacks, and all A moves have elemental properties). An icon would appear next to the shout meter to denote the currently equipped playstyle, each icon matching the corrosponding icons on Skyrim's perk trees (One Handed, Two Handed, Archery/Marksman, and Destruction) A bigger version of each icon would appear over Dragonborn's head when the switching function is activated, like Shulk's Monado Arts. Shouts still remain the specials but the different weapon types would have different properties. It would result in a character you can customize yourself tailored to different playstyles, and would make for an interesting and faithful representation of The Elder Scrolls and the kinds of characters you can create. It would be a great selling point for an avatar character and firmly represents a major element of the Elder Scrolls series that many people love it for.

I know this would make him a bit complex with two gimmicks and all, but it'd make him a versatile character that would also stand out to a significant degree. People often call him "slower, heavier Hero", and a mechanic like this would show people that there's a lot more to the character.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Update! I got Skyrim on PS4 and am enjoying it quite a bit. I have the complete version (with the 3 DLC) and I encountered a vampire. Needless to say, my guy has drastically changed from what I was gonna do haha.

I heard there is a way to get cured so I might do that.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Update! I got Skyrim on PS4 and am enjoying it quite a bit. I have the complete version (with the 3 DLC) and I encountered a vampire. Needless to say, my guy has drastically changed from what I was gonna do haha.

I heard there is a way to get cured so I might do that.
I'm glad you're having lots of fun!

And if you haven't fully transformed into a vampire you can just use a potion of Cure Disease. If you're stage 4 and have transformed, then there's a quest you have to do to remove it.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Food for thought:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/21/doom...ew-chess-arcade-shooter-12095644/?ito=cbshare

This interview concerning Doom Eternal mentions Smash:
For reference I’ve included the relevant bit:

GC: What about the rumours of Doom Slayer being in Smash Bros.? [This was a couple of days before the Byleth announcement – GC] Do you think it could ever happen? MS: I don’t know. We’ve asked them. GC: You asked them? MS: Yeah. GC: Well, that’s how Solid Snake got in it. Would they discount it just because of the gore and violence though? MS: I dunno. You would honestly have to ask them. We’ve never been approached and said, ‘Hey can Doomguy be in Smash Bros.?’ But we’re open-minded if they wanna ask. But we hear it all the time [from fans]. Who would say no? [laughs] GC: But you did ask them? MS: We’ve had… I don’t even know who talked to who, but we’ve bantered with them. We have a great relationship with them through bringing Doom 2016 to Switch and that kind of stuff. So we have great people over there but it’s one of those things where it’s like, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool?’ But it’s never gone anywhere serious, so we’ll see.

With this, I think we have a potential deconfirm but I’ll let you all handle this one.

By the way I apologize if someone already posted this.
Could be good news for us, Dovahbros! Possible Doom Slayer deconfirmation!

Last edited:

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Could be good news for us, Dovahbros! Possible Doom Slayer deconfirmation!
Could be usual NDA talks, although how much he elaborates makes me think he’s being genuine. If it is true, good news for us DovahBros but I feel for DoomBros. Cacomallow still hasn’t been disproven, so that’s circumstantial evidence that might lead us to a playable Dovahkiin. But after the Assassin’s Creed mii costume, I’m worried that may set a precedent for Western 3rd party characters from here on out.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Could be usual NDA talks, although how much he elaborates makes me think he’s being genuine. If it is true, good news for us DovahBros but I feel for DoomBros. Cacomallow still hasn’t been disproven, so that’s circumstantial evidence that might lead us to a playable Dovahkiin. But after the Assassin’s Creed mii costume, I’m worried that may set a precedent for Western 3rd party characters from here on out.
I know, though it's the elaborateness and in depthness that really makes it genuine, like you mentioned. If they were under NDA they'd probably wanna end the subject as soon as possible to avoid accidentally revealing anything.

And I know, though it's Ubisoft, they really don't seem to have the best luck with Smash. Though I'm surprised they didn't receive more, considering the big success of Mario + Rabbids. Either way I wouldn't look at one instance as a pattern, let's wait a couple more Mii Costume cycles and see how it turns out.

Top Bottom