• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Hmmm, I'd go this route:

- Male Nord
- Female Imperial
- Male Dunmer
- Female Khajiit
- Male Argonian
- Female Redguard
- Male Orsimer
- Female Altmer
I was thinking the same! I feel bad for Bosmer, but since Bretons are visually identical (for the most part) to Imperials there's no sense in putting in both.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
If Dovahkiin went the Bowser Jr. route and had a different race as each one of it's alts, with 4 male and 4 female, which 8 out of the 10 default would you use and which would be male and female? Male Nord as the default posterboy is the only obvious choice
I'd love to see 8 completely different characters. It'd be fun to reference different playstyles and guilds, e.g. a Breton mage like Mirabelle Ervine, a Bosmer thief like Niruin, an Imperial legionnaire, a Thalmor justicar, a stronghold Orc, etc... But that's a lot, and I doubt they'd go for that. Mainly since they'd want to get loads of use out of that helmet. Most likely they'd stick with a male and a female version, and then have them change colors from there. Still, there's loads of fun you could have with race choices.

I don't know if they'd go for Khajiit or Argonians, mainly because of the tails. Yeah, they could just not give them hitboxes, but it does seem like a bit more trouble than it's worth.

I did put in a concept earlier with a set of recolors. You can't get away from the Nords, so I made two each as a Nord...though admittedly you could call them Imperial or Breton if you wanted. I made the other two females into Altmer and Dunmer, and the other males into a Redguard and an Orc. But yeah, it's tough to do any recoloring to the helmet without making it look fundamentally wrong. I think the female versions turned out way better since I used a different armor base.

1: Default
2: They'll probably go for a 1:1 female Dovahkiin like Robin, but I chose Lydia just because she's so well known in the game.
3: Black armor, red hair. I was thinking of Brynjolf with this one
4: Stormcloak colors. Basically a female Ralof
5: Redguard, but I was stumped for the armor. I knew I wanted to go Imperial red/gold somewhere, so it ended up here.
6: Gotta have the Thalmor in. And with her hair down, they won't need a new mesh for the ears.
7: Orc. ...fine, I'll admit I'm cheating by hoping there's a slight mesh edit for the Orc since he needs his proper teeth.
8: Dunmer, and I was considering the DB colors for this one.

Either way, I just really want to have an Orc as well... I always went Bosmer since I started Morrowind, but I've been on a huge Orc kick since Skyrim. And of course my ESO main is a Skyrim Orc.

Now if they not only put Dovahkiin into Smash, but also made him an Orc recolor... Well, apologies to the current Smash cast, since I would rarely ever play any of them again...

I guess that leads to another discussion topic: What character do you usually use?

I've always gone Bosmer stealth, light armor, sword and board but mostly bow, little to no magic, since the days of Morrowind. Lately though, I've wanted to go hardcore barbarian...it just usually turns back into stealth sniper halfway through Bleak Falls Barrow. I actually need to play again, and when I do, I'm 100% rolling an Orc dragonborn, sword or axe and shield. And a bow - old habits die hard.

I'm personally replaying the game on VR. I figured Skyrim VR would give me a fresh experience of playing Skyrim even if I played the regular game before.
Ah, Skyrim VR... I don't have a PS, so I never got a chance, but it sounds like something right up my alley. I also never played the Switch version - the Zelda gear is tempting, but I need my mods. Still, I remember seeing the commercial for portable Skyrim with my mouth hanging open - "Nintendo wouldn't put that game on a Ninty console!?" But being able to aim with motion controls? The next XBox better have that...that's the reason I hate FPS games, and I can't play Fallout without VATS.

I support Dragonborn. From what Fatman has said, it is quite likely that FP5 might just be Dovahkiin. Again, it is just him speculating based on info he heard, but Dragonborn would still align with the cacomallow leak. What gives Dragonborn the edge over Doom Slayer is that Skyrim is more popular in Japan. Plus The Elder Scrolls is also important to the industry, as it helped popularized the open world genre.

Just imagining Dragonborn shouting someone off the stage is hilarious. I've spent quite a bit of time with Skyrim on the PS3 first then Switch. I love the game for its atmosphere, world, music, and the complete freedom it provides. btw it is amazing that the Switch can run games as big and beautiful as games like Skyrim and The Witcher 3. As a kid, I never imagined games like those being on a portable system.

And a side note. In the game Totally Accurate Battle Simulator, there is a unit called shouter which has the same helmet as Dovahkiin and all they do is shout and push back people. It's hilarious. Now let me stop here before I go even more off topic.
Ahh, don't tease me like that! I hate to follow leaks since I get myself hyped up and then get massively disappointed.

Nothing against Doomguy personally, but I can't see getting more than one Bethesda character, and I've only got one choice for who I want. I do hope we get Miis from other franchises - I notice the Mii costumes released so far have tended to stick to the franchise the character's in, but Skyrim really doesn't have any outfits that memorable beyond the iconic (yet low armor rating). Then again, Terry brought a costume and spirits from Samurai Showdown and a few other franchises which crossover with King of Fighters, and there were a bunch of SSB4 costumes from standalone franchises. They could easily bring other Beth properties as Miis; I think Vault Boy would make a great Mii costume, since he's already got the right proportions for a Brawler, maybe a gunner if they wanted to give him a laser pistol. I really hope that - assuming Dovahkiin's coming - they do bring that along as well.

But yeah, I would love to see a Dovahkiin Fus Ro Dah-ing enemies off the top of Final Destination, and the Nordic designs are probably my favorite motifs ever - It's gonna be a bit of a let down going to TES6 since we won't have the Nordic designs anymore.

I'm still expecting the leaks mean Doomguy, so I'm trying to prepare for the worst (but oh how I want it to be Dovahkiin). Then again, the silence lately has gone on a bit too long, and I'm really curious to hear. There are no big announcements coming up after the Game Awards (ESO is doing an event to announce ESO Skyrim officially on the 16th of January, but I can't see them putting any Nintendo announcements with an online game unavailable on Nintendo...but it would fit nicely...). It really feels like they'll drop a character on us, and possibly even do a reveal event for the next character after that, but that could happen whenever.

All I know is I won't be able to watch. This is how it was with Ridley: there were rumors, even though it seemed horrifically unlikely since Sakurai himself said he was too big. I just remember being so tense and nervous about whether or not I would be ecstatic or despondent. I couldn't watch E3 because of that. I had to wait until it ended, and then peek here to get the official answer before I watched; I couldn't suffer through an hour of nerve wracking. K.Rool was different - he came out of nowhere for me, and I was only expecting one character, Simon, because of Nintendo leaking it on the website. I was already set with that, so seeing K.Rool finish it up was nothing short of magical.

And that was for two characters who were high on my list because I felt they fit and I wanted the community to be happy. For the one character I want for myself...? I don't know if I can handle the tension.

That reminds me - I remember when Simon was hinted that I felt very 'meh' since I don't know the series...but then I started getting hyped picturing him going dungeon delving with the Dragonborn through some draugr- or vampire-infested ruins. Needless to say that I warmed up to Simon considerably after that. I'd love to see a team of e.g. Dovahkiin, Simon, and Link go up against Dracula, Ganon, or Rathalos. Oh man this would be epic...

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Not one of my top most-wanteds but I'd be happy to see Dragonborn in. Whiterun was my favourite town that I spent a ton of time in when I first got the game, I'd be so happy if that was a stage.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I did put in a concept earlier with a set of recolors. You can't get away from the Nords, so I made two each as a Nord...though admittedly you could call them Imperial or Breton if you wanted. I made the other two females into Altmer and Dunmer, and the other males into a Redguard and an Orc. But yeah, it's tough to do any recoloring to the helmet without making it look fundamentally wrong. I think the female versions turned out way better since I used a different armor base.

1: Default
2: They'll probably go for a 1:1 female Dovahkiin like Robin, but I chose Lydia just because she's so well known in the game.
3: Black armor, red hair. I was thinking of Brynjolf with this one
4: Stormcloak colors. Basically a female Ralof
5: Redguard, but I was stumped for the armor. I knew I wanted to go Imperial red/gold somewhere, so it ended up here.
6: Gotta have the Thalmor in. And with her hair down, they won't need a new mesh for the ears.
7: Orc. ...fine, I'll admit I'm cheating by hoping there's a slight mesh edit for the Orc since he needs his proper teeth.
8: Dunmer, and I was considering the DB colors for this one.

Either way, I just really want to have an Orc as well... I always went Bosmer since I started Morrowind, but I've been on a huge Orc kick since Skyrim. And of course my ESO main is a Skyrim Orc.

Now if they not only put Dovahkiin into Smash, but also made him an Orc recolor... Well, apologies to the current Smash cast, since I would rarely ever play any of them again...

I guess that leads to another discussion topic: What character do you usually use?
I always just used the default character since I always wanted to just get straight to the game. Orcs look potentially badass but I really want to feel human on my playthrough since I most likely couldn't pass up wifing some NPC in the game. If I were to choose a different race, I really want to play as a snow elf. I have a itch for races that look more human and then I can just go werewolf if I want a temporary change.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, it's almost time for me to get ready for the annual tradition of blowing things up to celebrate the new year.

This has been an interesting rollercoaster for the past few weeks. Dovahkiin went from a ridiculous suggestion to somewhat plausible in a matter of days, and people are actually talking about him...unfortunately they're just not doing so here.

I'm really nervous about our guy's chances. There's plenty of arguments supporting both him and Doomguy, but these forums sometime feel like Doomguy central so there's not much support for the underdog around here. I've been (against my better judgement) lurking in the Geno thread since that's actually where most of the talking is - why don't they bring some of that discussion here? - and I notice that it's not looking as good as it did yesterday even.

We'll probably be getting a direct within the next week or two, so here's hoping that Todd Howard will manage to port Skyrim to something else. Man those memes will be hysterical... I hope we will get to see them.

Happy new year all! Crossing my fingers that this is the year we'll get to see Kirby learn how to use the Thu'um!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Twitter isn't any better but Reddit seems to be more open minded to Dragonborn. I'm as happy as you are to see Dragonborn as a serious consideration, and hopefully 2020 will grant our wishes! We gotta start posting in the general and Geno threads to advocate bringing the discussion here, we need the activity!

Cheers to 2020, and may Todd grant us a nice surprise in the coming months!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
, so here's hoping that Todd Howard will manage to port Skyrim to something else.
Skyrim will be announced for the following platforms:
  • Stadia
  • Xbox Series X and PS5
  • New 3DS
  • PS Vita
  • Game Boy Color
  • Atari 2600
  • Android and iPhone
  • iRefrigerator
  • PS1
  • iToaster
  • Game & Watch
  • Sega Game Gear
  • Neo Geo
  • Arcades
  • PS3 and Xbox 360 Classic Edition
  • And the dvd player in your SUV

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Though to be completely honest people really do exaggerate Skyrim's ports. It's really just Original, Special Edition, and Switch (based on Special edition). Plus Special Edition brought a lot of great things to the table!

We got:

- Great graphical improvements right out of the box! On par with many ENB mods.
- Separate save lists for each character (though all of the files are still in the same folder)
- 64-bit engine, allowing for greater NPC processing and modding capacity, for mods like the Beyond Skyrim series and Immersive Battles. Also much more stable!
- Mods on consoles
- All DLC for free.

Last edited:

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
If they got in, would they be called Dragonborn or Dovahkiin? Would there be a difference between Japan and the US?

Actually, does Japan even have a different name for the main character?

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I think in every language Skyrim is translated into, the player character is always referred to as "Dragonborn" in the vernacular. While I don't know this next fact for sure, I THINK the Dragon language translation (no matter what the game language is) is always "Dovahkiin". Fun Fact: The Japanese spelling of "Dragonborn" is ドラゴンボーン. Which the 100% reliable and never wrong Google Translate tells me is "dragon bone" lol.

In terms of which one would be used for Smash, I think it could go either way. Being called "Dovahkiin" would make it easier to translate because you'd just have to use the one word and you're done (assuming I'm correct about the Dovahkiin thing in the first place lmao). On the other hand, casuals who don't know Skyrim might not know what a Dovahkiin is, but Dragonborn would certaintly get the point across clearer to them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can totally see Dovahkiin being used since Dragonborn sounds too basic. Dovahkiin actually sounds special and unique.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Aw man, I really need to go back and play Skyrim again. Just did a quest in ESO going through a Nord crypt and got massive flashbacks to Bleak Falls Barrow, and now I'm all excited about playing Skyrim all over again.

I can totally see Dovahkiin being used since Dragonborn sounds too basic. Dovahkiin actually sounds special and unique.
Completely agree here. "Dragonborn" does give off a bit of a "Ugh, why did they put this generic character in!!!??!?" vibe like :ultvillager::ulthero:, and that's an argument we don't need. Dovahkiin sounds more unique...and I bet it didn't get translated for other languages so there's that as well.

Though to be completely honest people really do exaggerate Skyrim's ports. It's really just Original, Special Edition, and Switch (based on Special edition). Plus Special Edition brought a lot of great things to the table!
Don't forget the Very Special Edition port to Alexa :rotfl:

Never tried it, but the UESP has a page on it, and it's great to read some of the messages. There's a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor there. Like the fact that you can get a Nuka-cola as a quest reward, and the description is "This must be some sort of mistake."

But seriously, people really do exaggerate how much it's been rereleased. Heck, how many times have we seen Pokémon R/B/Y or Assassin's Creed II? Not that porting is a bad thing - we have loads of people on this site practically begging for ports of games, even simple ports of recent WiiU releases. And yeah, Skyrim's been ported over and over since it's good, and it's selling every time, so it's not like it's unwanted. Even as big a TES fan as me didn't end up getting the Switch port... but I do have the XBox and PC versions of the standard and special editions. (I love Bethesda, but I need the Unofficial Patches...)

I did get the Skyrim Switch clear case though. I don't usually use the case on the console since I keep my Switch docked, but the Joy-con covers look ridiculously awesome on the grey cons so they stay on permanently.

I do think the memes are hysterical though, and if they do put Dovahkiin in Smash, you know that'll cause a ****ton of memes. Probably only Waluigi would give more memes.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
But seriously, people really do exaggerate how much it's been rereleased.
Agreed! I guess part of it is because of the negative reputation Bethesda has these days, but people really take it too far.
What doesn't help is that our competition, Doom, is considered BELOVED for all of the ports it receives. There's a ton of double standards and it's honestly upsetting.

Though I do love the Alexa version's tongue and cheek humor! You'd think they would've just made the joke trailer but they really put in the work to make it real! xD

(I love Bethesda, but I need the Unofficial Patches...)
Now try the Beyond Skyrim: Bruma mod (available on both), you're gonna have a great time!

Speaking of Fallout, I started Fallout 4 recently and I found a magazine that adds to the kinds of tattoos you can add to your character. Said magazine has a Dovahkiin tattoo on the front, so I'm gonna try and find a place to add it!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I guess I'm the only one who actually really likes the name Dragonborn? I actually think it sounds bada**. It's sounds like someone who was born to fight dragons.

Now I want to bring up something. People have brought up the fact that they would be upset if Dovahkiin got in before Doom Slayer. While I want Doom Slayer more, I can totally understand why Dragonborn would be chosen first. First, Skyrim is more popular in Japan than FPS games in general. Second, The Elder Scrolls is a really big franchise, dating back to the 90s. It has helped popularize the open world genre and is very popular with a huge amount of hype happening before the last couple games released, especially Skyrim. Dovahkiin has close to, if not, as much merit as Doom Slayer for being a potential fighter.

I'm not trying to stir the pot. Again, I would love to see Doom Slayer, but it seems like some people underestimate how big of an inclusion Dragonborn would be.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Beyond Skyrim released a new mod today, titled Wares of Tamriel! A little sneak peek release, it adds a ship to Dawnstar that carries goods from Cyrodiil, Morrowind, Elsweyr, etc that will be featured in their full province projects. More options for armor, weapons, and more for your playthroughs, so be sure to check it out! It's out on PC now and will be on Xbox One soon!

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
This waiting is really getting to me, especially from me lurking in the Geno thread and getting updates there. No big leaks or rumors, just speculation and a lot of anxiety. It's really rough to see one day people all on board and making great arguments for the Dragonborn, then the next there are a load of great arguments for why Dovahkiin is just leakerbait the same way Steve from Minecraft was to cover for Doomguy.

Doesn't help at all that a lot more people on this site support Doomguy, so it's a bit disheartening to see so many people look at a list with Dovahkiin and say "Ugh, I hope that's wrong!"

God I want to see Dovahkiin in Smash so much. This is bigger to me than Ridley and K.Rool combined, especially now that it's actually plausible.

Speaking of Fallout, I started Fallout 4 recently and I found a magazine that adds to the kinds of tattoos you can add to your character. Said magazine has a Dovahkiin tattoo on the front, so I'm gonna try and find a place to add it!
You would think, but no. That one gives an unrelated tattoo from a cut magazine. Honestly the way those were dealt with was pretty bad, but I think there's at least one mod that adds some of the missing ones in.

Aaand that's another game on my backlog to replay. I know Fallout 4 had its problems with the dialogue, but it was still pretty fun. Funny that Fallout isn't really brought up in the context of Bethesda properties for Smash as much as Dovahkiin/Doomguy though - not that we need more competition. Then again, I can't imagine it goes over well in Japan based on the playstyle of an FPS and WRPG combined with atomic weapon themes and a heavy dose of Americana.

Vault Boy would make a perfect Mii costume though, just saying. Right proportions and comic-ness.

Now I want to bring up something. People have brought up the fact that they would be upset if Dovahkiin got in before Doom Slayer. While I want Doom Slayer more, I can totally understand why Dragonborn would be chosen first. First, Skyrim is more popular in Japan than FPS games in general. Second, The Elder Scrolls is a really big franchise, dating back to the 90s. It has helped popularize the open world genre and is very popular with a huge amount of hype happening before the last couple games released, especially Skyrim. Dovahkiin has close to, if not, as much merit as Doom Slayer for being a potential fighter.
I will say that I don't have anything against Doomguy as a character. I don't know the game and I royally suck at FPSs (VATS is the only reason I can play Fallout), so there's nothing really there for me. What bothers me about him is one simple thing: I can't see Bethesda, a Western game studio, getting more than one character. At least in the mear future. And if we're only getting one, I don't like anyone who could be getting in the way.

Now if we could get both, I'd be fine. As long as I get my Dragonborn.

Dovahkiin and Doomguy pretty well have competing points, all good ones, on why they should be in the game.

Doom is pretty well heralded as the father of FPS games, got its start on PC but went to the SNES (among other consoles), and has a long history as its been around since the early 90s. It's also got a new game coming out pretty soon. There's plenty they could use to get a moveset based around heavy artillery, which we only have so far in Snake/Samus's kits, unless you want to count Bayo/Joker's guns. It definitely sets him apart from the characters we've got in DLC so far. But Japan is stereotypically not that into FPSs, and Doom's really heavy on the gore, so there's a bit of separating you'd need to do to get him to fit Smash. Also the satanic imagery could start to cause issues with certain groups as well, but Castlevania and Bayo to an extent did already go there. Also his closed helmet - I know that a lot of players in Japan were concerned about Ridley since he 'couldn't show emotion well,' so that may also be something.

The Elder Scrolls has been around since Arena in '94, but people mostly know it from TES:III Morrowind in 2002 and onward. Each one of the games since Morrowind won multiple GotY awards and pretty well brought open-world games into the mainstream. However, each has a customizable character, so there are very few faces shared between games. It also has been exclusive to PC (and then XBox, and finally PS as well) until Skyrim got ported to Switch in 2017 (when it was literally the second game shown off after Breath of the Wild, a game whose designers did admit to making references to). Dovahkiin would likely be another swordsman, so moveset potential could be an issue, but Dovahkiin is known to have a signature move and headgear, both of which really help to mesh it with the world of Smash. Skyrim's well known worldwide, and is even the first Western game to get a 40/40 on Famitsu, and there was even a Zelda gear crossover in the Switch port. But again, this is all about only one game from over 8 years ago, and Dovahkiin's not returning to the series anytime soon; the closest we have is the generic Nord Hero in Elder Scrolls Online (not on Nintendo) with the new Skyrim chapter they're annoucing in 10 days, and they're releasing a Dovahkiin costume in case you want to dress up your character...you just don't have Fus Ro Dah.

I can easily see both being a Mii costume while the other gets playable. I know a lot more about Dovahkiin, but I will say that a Dovahkiin without his shouts is really just a dude in a costume, so it would feel inadequate...but I'm sure a Doomguy fan would say the same about a Doomguy Mii gunner missing certain things. I'll also say that Doomguy is unique compared to the DLC so far, while Dovahkiin also does overlap slightly with some characters we have - Hero is also a swordsman, and I was considering the shouts would also do the three-stage thing as well. Even Joker's got a knife. Now Dovahkiin has other weapon choices, but most of the concept art shows him with the sword or sword and shield...except the main art which gives him a sword and dagger - we don't have a dual-wielder in Smash save for the Pits when they break the bow, so that could make him more unique. Then again, there's also the thought that Doomguy could also be facing competition from Master Chief as a green power-armored super soldier from an FPS, while Dovahkiin is pretty well only fighting the coveted Bethesda slot.

I'd hope that, if Nintendo went to Bethesda, that Beth Soft would favor their homegrown hero over a property they acquired. But Microsoft's first thing in Smash was not a Microsoft property, it was Rare...then again Microsoft makes consoles and may want to keep their exclusives while Beth doesn't have that hangup - Sega's first character was the character that defined Sega as well...

...man I'm nervous...and when I'm nervous, I tend to write a lot. :urg: I bet we're getting an answer in the next week or two, and I'm just praying it'll be the Dragonborn.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'd hope that, if Nintendo went to Bethesda, that Beth Soft would favor their homegrown hero over a property they acquired. But Microsoft's first thing in Smash was not a Microsoft property, it was Rare...then again Microsoft makes consoles and may want to keep their exclusives while Beth doesn't have that hangup - Sega's first character was the character that defined Sega as well...
I'm nervous, too!

and a lot of people (especially a lot of Doom supporters) use that point against Dragonborn, when in reality it is very likely that Banjo is the exception, rather than the rule. Banjo-Kazooie was first party for part of his history and has been requested for years. Microsoft likely saw that and would've seen the backlash if they had added Master Chief first. Doom doesn't have that advantage.

Furthermore I do think Bethesda would go with their homegrown hero! Apparently the Zelda stuff in the Switch port was an idea from Todd Howard himself, showing that he has an interest in Nintendo. So if Sakurai or Nintendo executives came to Bethesda to negotiate, Todd would definitely want to be there. his word in the company is as big as Pete Hines'.

EDIT: I just realized something! The announcement for the ESO Skyrim chapter is in 10 days, which is a Wednesday. Nintendo Directs are typically on Wednesdays. It could mean something!

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
EDIT: I just realized something! The announcement for the ESO Skyrim chapter is in 10 days, which is a Wednesday. Nintendo Directs are typically on Wednesdays. It could mean something!
It's on the 16th, so a Thursday. I think we've had directs on Thursdays before, but I doubt they'd both have the announcements at the same time anyway.

I've really tried not to go here. It's always looked like grasping at straws when other people have made similar arguments for their characters, and I don't think the current DLC had much of a connection to current releases.

...but...

The ESO in-game Crown store has a bunch of customization options that rotate around, so on the 16th (the day they're announcing ESO Skyrim officially), they're also putting a few things back in the shop for the weekend, like the costume from their generic Nord warrior and dragon-themed lootboxes (which could give dragon priest outfits. Oh, and this:

I highly doubt that a Dovahkiin for Smash announcement will overlap with something for ESO since ESO isn't on Switch, but it would be nice if there was a connection here. Seriously, imagine that guy in Smash, shouting people off a cliff...

The first DLC they'll announce officially will probably just be a pair of dungeons, and the Skyrim stuff will release sometime in May/June timeframe. But in my dreamworld, Ninty'll announce Dovahkiin in Smash, and ESO adds one dungeon where they really reference a bunch of fights you could have for the bosses, like one where you fight three women in pink/yellow/blue dresses (:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina:), or one where you face a green Daedroth and a purple Grievous Twilight (:ultkrool::ultridley:), or a large Orc with a greatsword (:ultganondorf:). And at the end, a red dragon as the final boss...

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I know they tend to go for more action packed music tracks, but I'm hoping desperately that The Streets of Whiterun makes it in somehow as DLC music if Dragonborn gets in
Aw man, now I really need to go back and play Skyrim again...

I still remember release day. I ordered the super collector's edition with the Alduin statue, and I took off that day (I was in grad school then). Only time I've ever taken off specifically to play a video game. Sat down, popped the game in my XBox and went to play...

...and the screen faded in to everyone standing around outside of the cart, and I couldn't do anything but look around. Lol, first thing it did it glitched out.

Anyway, reset it, and then it started properly, and I was completely drawn in. I made my Bosmer guy, followed Ralof through Helgen, and continued through Riverwood to Whiterun. And I just remember taking my time as I walked along, so night fell as I got close to the city. And then the northern lights came out...so beautiful, I had to stop and take a picture.
IMG_0071.JPG
It was the first time I ever had to stop in the middle of a game to just appreciate the beauty of the environment.

You know, on the topic of music... I've been listening to the :ultbanjokazooie: songs on YouTube (I'm gonna get them soon...and if we get what we're hoping for, I'm going to throw all of my money at the screen and get all of the DLC). It did make me start to think about songs on Skyrim's stage. It's easy to go grab a bunch of Jeremy Soule's amazing music, but a lot of BK's got remixes as well... Then again, Joker got a lot of direct ports and Hero's are pretty well all gamerips.

So would we get remixes of Skyrim music? Or even Soule remixing one of his own songs?

I can see the Skyrim main theme and dragon battles working directly, but if they wanted to put in something like Whiterun, it might need a more uptempo remix. I'd love to know what they could do to it... And also if they would go into Morrowind/Oblivion/ESO as well (Morrowind's main theme is also a bit on the mellow side)

D

Deleted member

Played but never finished The Elder Scrolls: V Skyrim Still amazing game would be happy too see Dragonborn in.

You have my support.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I imagine the Dragonborn receiving a trailer similar to Cloud (though a full CGI recreating the intro scene with Ridley as the Helgen Dragon would be hilarious).
Music for Time Reference:
- Black Screen <starts playing the main theme>
- "Nintendo presents" appears on screen similar to the Bethesda Logo <0:08>
- "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" Logo <0:13>
- "X" <0:18>
- Skyrim logo appears <0:23>
- Skyrim map fades into the scene <0:28>
- Dragonborn appears with Splash Screen <0:35>
- Cuts to the Gameplay portion

And then see just how much time it would take for people to discover who it is.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
papa.PNG

Apparently a snippet of my Custom Fighter's Pass image featuring our boy appeared in PapaGenos' latest video. I was not expecting this!

Original image for reference:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hello all! Coming in to say good luck on your character! With everything going on, it really seems like Dragonborn/Dovahkiin is coming to Smash.

I have never played Skyrim (How!? IDK), but I have several friends who would flip over their inclusion. If I wanted to play it, what would be the best platform to play? Note: I do not have a PC. I do have a PS4 and Switch.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. I've been lurking in this thread as a guest for months now. Honestly, never really intended to come out from lurking, but I'm optimistic about our chances and want to be able to share the moment with you all should he actually make it in, so I finally decided to make an account so I could be here. A few things I would like to talk about that I've had floating around in my head.

The Name
Super 50/50 on this one. Dragonborn or Dovahkiin, both would be just fine. But honestly, if I were choosing, I would go for Dragonborn. I agree, it's a bit more generic, but when you think about it, very few NPCs actually call you Dovahkiin barring the Greybeards. It's always, "You're the Dragonborn" or, "Thank you, Dragonborn". Dovahkiin is certainly more unique, and I think Bethesda usually calls him Dovahkiin in social media posts, but ultimately, who knows. But the real reason I'd prefer Dragonborn? His splash screen could be The Dragonborn Comes!

The Stage
So many options, and yet so few? Obviously the dream would be a traveling stage where you can see all of Skyrim like Yggdrasil's Altar, but I think that's a bit unrealistic. So barring that, I think it would be High Hrothgar, Throat of the World, or my personal pick, Sovngarde. I think Sovngarde is a very good choice, albeit a bit spoiler-y, but Sakurai has proven he doesn't much care about that. You could have the beautiful sky, the eerie statues, Alduin flying around, maybe even as a stage hazard, maybe cameos from famous Nord heroes (and hopefully other races if they feel like being lenient with the lore). The one problem I have with Sovngarde though--it's not Skyrim proper. I want to see the actual province of Skyrim in Ultimate.

The Alts
I actually had the same list in mind as Wunderwaft did. Male Nord, Female Imperial, Male Dunmer, Female Altmer, Male Orsimer, Female Redguard, Male Argonian, Female Khajiit. Ideally they'd all have different armor sets, but that may be going overboard. No matter what, I'm fortunate enough that I don't have to worry about my preferred race getting in. Ever since Robin was introduced in Smash 4, I've started playing as the "default" avatar in games with customizable avatar. Fortunately, that means male Nord for Skyrim. (Pre-Smash 4 Robin me would be sad at the lack of a male Khajiit option, though).

The Rest
As for music, expect we'd get a decent amount of remixes--if Sakurai thinks Banjo-Kazooie music isn't well suited for battle, I can't imagine a large part of Skyrim's music would be unless they went purely with combat themes, which would be--other than dragon battle themes--fairly disappointing. I think we've heard those enough. Hopefully we can get some songs from the older games too.

Spirits I'm not even going to try to guess, because there's so many you could choose, even if it was exclusively Skyrim content.

Whatever they go with for his name, I really hope the crowd chant is, "Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin" looped. Because that's just perfect.

Oblivion was the very first non-Nintendo game I played that I absolutely fell in love with. I've put thousands of hours into Skyrim at this point, and I know that's going to continue, especially as more content comes out basically every day. At this point, I'm more excited for the Beyond Skyrim series than I am for ES6. Skyrim is such an important game to me, despite its flaws. Dragonborn was my second most wanted before Banjo-Kazooie since Ultimate was announced. To think there's a chance I might get both... man. I remember at E3 2018, when Bethesda announced the joke Alexa port of Skyrim, Todd announced it by saying something like, "We've had Skyrim in a lot of places, but this next one is our favorite yet", and I think my heart skipped about 20 beats because I genuinely thought it was going to be a Smash announcement. I've never given up hope since, and I'm really trying not to get overconfident about it, but man, his chances just feel so good. I really wish I could calm myself, and prepare for disappointment, but... well, where's the fun in that?

"Our Hero, our Hero, claims a warrior's heart.
I tell you, I tell you, The Dragonborn comes!"

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Hello all! Coming in to say good luck on your character! With everything going on, it really seems like Dragonborn/Dovahkiin is coming to Smash.

I have never played Skyrim (How!? IDK), but I have several friends who would flip over their inclusion. If I wanted to play it, what would be the best platform to play? Note: I do not have a PC. I do have a PS4 and Switch.
If you don't have a PC then Switch is my recommended choice. PS4 is good but it doesn't have the portability factor of the Switch. Performance wise the Switch runs great and has a steady frame rate. On the other hand, the Switch version is overpriced at $60 while the PS4 version is much cheaper. Both choices are great so weigh up the pros and cons for yourself and see which one you like the most.

zumaddy

Smash Ace

Keep in mind, the Switch version is a little glitchy. For me, this was a good thing (I have several videos on my Switch of all the silly stuff I've encountered), but it might not be for you.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
excited for the Beyond Skyrim
Another Beyond Skyrim fan! Did you see the Wares of Tamriel mod they released a few days ago?

Keep in mind, the Switch version is a little glitchy. For me, this was a good thing (I have several videos on my Switch of all the silly stuff I've encountered), but it might not be for you.
It can be at times but not much moreso than the original game. The only particularly notable bug was in Swindler's Den when the screen randomly turned velvet red and messy, with the game crashing shortly afterwards. I also had the sneak eye get stuck on my character permanently (even when not sneaking) and had to reinstall the game.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Another Beyond Skyrim fan! Did you see the Wares of Tamriel mod they released a few days ago?
I did, very excited! It'll unfortunately be a while until I'm able to try it, since I'm playing on Xbox right now and my mod space is absolutely capped, (there's only a 5GB limit on there). Currently saving up for a decent PC (which will undoubtedly become a dedicated Skyrim machine), especially because there's a decent chance Atmora and Roscrea could be coming out this year.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I did, very excited! It'll unfortunately be a while until I'm able to try it, since I'm playing on Xbox right now and my mod space is absolutely capped, (there's only a 5GB limit on there). Currently saving up for a decent PC (which will undoubtedly become a dedicated Skyrim machine), especially because there's a decent chance Atmora and Roscrea could be coming out this year.
Are you on the Discord server?
And nice! I recently swapped my secondary 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD specifically for Beyond Skyrim! Super hopeful that we get a release this year! We could even get The New North if we're lucky. Either way I think this is the year.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Whoa, new people! Welcome to the thread! Hope we all have a reason to celebrate together soon!

Depends on what you like, really. The Switch version is portable (which is a huge plus), and has the motion-control aiming (which every console should put in now), but no mod support. PS4 had limited mod support - Sony's not letting them put in outside assets - outside of the Creation Club mods [insert paid mods vs. DLC debate here], but it's all around a more powerful console...but it is an 8 year old game.

It's really up to you which you prefer. You want it on the go with some nice Zelda goodies, or do you want bonus DLCs?

Speaking of, I never officially got a chance to try the Survival mode Creation, and that's 100% the kind of way I need to play RPGs. Ugh, another reason I need to go back to this. I already have enough on my backlog!

His splash screen could be The Dragonborn Comes!
Okay, that would be epic. I don't know how I didn't think of that; it's perfect.

Ever since Robin was introduced in Smash 4, I've started playing as the "default" avatar in games with customizable avatar. Fortunately, that means male Nord for Skyrim.
You know, with thinks like the Zelda games, I've always been in the habit of naming him 'Link' since that's his canon name. I did run the Special Edition when it first came out with a default just to get all of the achievements - my real character will have mods and be a goody goody so no DB for me, but I wanted to get the internet points for everything - it did make me like playing as a Nord. Strange, since I usually try not to play humans.

Otherwise though... I love customizing my characters. Which usually bites me hard in the *** since, once I finally figure out what I want the character to look like, then I can't start the game until I've thought up a lore-friendly name and a backstory for them as well. That was actually one of the interesting parts of Dragon Age: Inquisition - I could pick a character to play, but they went and made backstories for all possible race/class combos so I didn't need to make one up.

Now with Skyrim, I really really want to play again, but I have to figure out what my Orc is doing in Darkwater Crossing and how he gets mixed up in the ambush that captured Ulfric. And then I have to decide who I want to escape Helgen with, even though I've pretty well decided that I'm staying tf out of the civil war.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
my real character will have mods and be a goody goody so no DB for me
I thought I was the only one who liked playing a goody goody character, glad to see I'm not alone! I don't get peoples' obsession for defaulting to evil factions like the Dark Brotherhood or the Volkihar Vampires.

Which mods are you gonna run?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I thought I was the only one who liked playing a goody goody character, glad to see I'm not alone! I don't get peoples' obsession for defaulting to evil factions like the Dark Brotherhood or the Volkihar Vampires.
Oh yeah. I always need to consider what quests I do want to undergo, and if it'll fit with my character. Sometimes I take this 'RP' thing a bit too far...

I've really never been into the assassins anyway, but I did like the thieves guild back with Morrowind/Oblivion so I still have that desire to do that as well, especially since Brynjolf has the best voice acting. Fortunately, I already know how I can get my goody-goody character to end up as a Nightingale: Bryn basically blackmails you into starting his quest in exchange for the info on where Esbern is, so if I want to find Esbern, I have to end up getting involved with him.

It's another thing to see how I'm gonna explain my character getting involved in the College when he doesn't do magic, but I think I can wait with that until I need to get the Elder Scroll, and then use a shout to get in.

Now the vampires are interesting. Never really got into that - I prefer werewolves to be honest - but even with Serana you have to either get infected or soul trapped to enter the soul cairn, so I can still have some fun with vampirism for a bit before I cure it and go back to the Companions.

Which mods are you gonna run?
Usually not too many. I do like playing the game with as few mods as possible.

My big ones are a font replacer (I can't stand the ultra-modern default, while there are some great more fantasy ones) and the unofficial patch. Otherwise, it's mostly texture replacers - I can't play without a texture replacer to put the gold detailing back on the Ebony armor, and I need the unique book covers.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
end up as a Nightingale
The Skyrim, Thieves' Guild questline was great, but the forced Nightingale pact was my main complaint about it.

Usually not too many. I do like playing the game with as few mods as possible.
Same! I get attached to my characters so I wouldn't want to lose one to random save corruption or crashing down the line.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Kinda sucks seeing how many people say they genuinely don’t want Dragonborn. I guess that would be one downside of him getting in, he’s probably be pretty controversial and get a lot of undue hate.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Kinda sucks seeing how many people say they genuinely don’t want Dragonborn. I guess that would be one downside of him getting in, he’s probably be pretty controversial and get a lot of undue hate.
I wouldn't take it personally, considering the vocal minority of Smash fans hate any DLC characters on the principle that it's not their most wanted. Whoever is FP5 will get it hard considering they're "taking one of the last slots from my most wanted". Just remember the people screaming "LITERAL WHO?!" about Terry and Hero.

Besides some of those hating will come around. People who wouldn't shut up about Incineroar being the worst addition ever were pleasantly surprised by his funny animations, people who were 'literal who' about Hero enjoyed his spell list etc.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
True, but then he'd be in, so I'd be happy with it...

I feel like no matter who is FP5, they're going to get a lot of hate. Dovahkiin's biggest issue is that he's competition for Doomguy, who has a much larger fanbase around here, so there'll definitely be blowback. All we can do is rise above it though. Anyway, it probably won't be any worse than Bayo or Corrin in Sm4sh - they were the last characters so they were the death of everyone's dreams, and on top of that, Bayo was broken high-tier and Nintendo clearly exaggerated calling her #1 on the ballot (there's evidence she started development right after the ballot opened), and Corrin was just another example of the Fire Emblem oversaturation.

If Dovahkiin gets in, the Doomguy fans (and anyone who doesn't like gritty Western characters) will grumble, but I don't think anyone can deny the legacy and importance Skyrim has had, even to Nintendo itself: BotW's devs have admitted to taking cues from Skyrim, Skyrim was the first Western game to get 40/40 on Famitsu (so it is acceptable to a Japanese audience as well), and it was the second game shown for the Switch, even before Mario. And really, the other thing a lot of people have against Skyrim is it's Bethesda, and they've been sticking their foot in their mouth a bit (a lot) lately. They just don't want to 'reward' a company with such scummy practices (but don't mind Bethesda when Doomguy is the topic, or will also support getting more Squeenix music from the composer who is much worse than 'a bit scummy'). Oh and the "One-shot!" "Avatar character!" "Not Nintendo-based!" arguments as well, as if all of the characters in Smash also follow those.

And then people will move on to speculating the next characters, so it'll blow over.

This past month has been hellish though. I have a tendency to get really invested in things really fast, and I'm caught hard here. Dovahkiin is my #1 all time most wanted character, as unlikely as he is. As much as I try to keep myself from getting my hopes up, I'm going back and forth between getting really hyped that he could make it and then really bummed just thinking about him not making it. This sucks. I'm always nervous checking here to see if this will be the day that someone leaked the next character, and will that make me happy or not...

Worst part is the fact that it's actually somewhat plausible now. Back when Ultimate released, Dovahkiin was absolutely a pipe dream with nobody really giving him the time of day.
Now, depending on which rumors you choose to follow, a lot of characters were disconfirmed by the big leaker names, meanwhile the name Dovahkiin has actually started to crop up a few times outside of this thread. It's one of the reasons I'm lurking on the Geno thread so much lately, since Fatmanonice is putting him down as his pick for FP5, saying that three of his four contacts agree it's a Bethesda character. He's given lots of reasoning as to why he's picking Dovahkiin - sure, it's all speculation and patterns, which Sakurai is not obliged to follow in the slightest - but everything just makes too much sense to ignore.
It's actually a lot harder for me now since, now that there are rumors, it's possible to get hopeful (and that can lead to disappointment too easily). I already know I won't be able to watch the next direct; I'm gonna have to come in afterwards to see if we're celebrating before I go to check out any trailers.

Here's hoping there's a lot of good news for us ahead!

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
It's not hard to see at all that Dragonborn is often overlooked by speculators for Smash DLC. Skyrim has been completely, utterly, 100%, down to the bone, nothing left milked DRY with its many ports, remasters, re-releases, DLC, merchandise, and literally anything else under the sun. And like what CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica has said, Bethesda has REALLY been dropping the ball recently (either by sheer incompetence, complacency, arrogance, stupidity, or any combination of these), and can't go a solid month nowadays without some sort of controversy. Plus the fact that he looks nothing more than another sword fighter at first glance to people outside of the Skyrim fandom.

While none of these points are good to dismiss the idea of the character entirely, I think it is important to recognize fan demand and desires. In general, most of the newcomers for Ultimate have been hotly requested characters. Inkling was a popular and creative new character from a fresh (heh) new Nintendo IP. Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo-Kazooie were insanely requested by their dedicated fanbase for many years prior to their inclusion. Heck, the whole concept of "Everyone is Here!" directly stems from fan desire to see their favorite cut characters make a return.

Not to be negative, but I fear that Dragonborn's chances aren't that high because they're not as requested as often as, say, Doomguy (at least on internet message boards/websites specifically dedicated to Smash Bros). Of course, this doesn't mean that this is the precedent, and I won't deny that the rumors have me a bit excited. But for me personally, I'd rather not get my hopes up in case that things don't go the way I want it to, so then if it turns out that it does happen, I will be completely ecstatic.

Like many people here, Dragonborn is my most wanted newcomer to Ultimate (heck, I wrote 80 pages of ideas for them in Smash lmao). That being said, I'm not getting my hopes up. But by god, do I want it SO BADLY.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Holy ****, the next character trailer is inbound. Jan 16th, 9 am EST.

I’m too nervous to watch. It’ll obviously start with the trailer, but I don’t know if I can even watch the trailer. The tension is overwhelming.

Funny... when they didn’t announce it, I was really curious if we would get it. Now, I’m just scared to see and kinda want to stay a bit longer in the ‘it’s possible’ limbo.

We can all make the claims about them trying to match a reveal with Elder Scrolls - the Smash character drops at 9am for 35 minutes, and then at 10 we’ll get the Dragonborn costume in the ESO crown store, finishing with the official ESO: Skyrim reveal that evening at 5, but... It really sounds like a Skyrim fan’s wet dream, but I don’t think Nintendo has matched up reveals too much before, and especially not for third parties. Not gonna lie, it would be absolutely glorious if that went down though.

Pick your favorite deity and start praying if you haven’t already. Things have never looked as good as they do now, but nothing’s confirmed.

Talos guide you all. And please guide Dovahkiin to Smash!

Top Bottom