• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Smash is famously (or infamously in some cases) a showcase and a small sampler of great and influential games, as well as a place to feature and promote the latest. Considering how much Bethesda has been putting into the Switch lately; between Skyrim, Wolfenstein, Doom, and even Fallout (even if it is Shelter); it'd be a shame not to bring a fighter aboard for Smash, and encourage this partnership further. What better way to invite players who haven't yet had the chance/desire to look into Bethesda's gaming handiwork, now/soon to be available on Switch, than to feature their most iconic franchise yet in arguably gaming's greatest crossover battler? Plus, Todd Howard seems like the kind of guy who would be totally on board for Smash.

(Heck, at this rate, with Fallout Shelter on its way, Fallout representation could even be a thing. It's a highly unlikely thing, yes, but still a thing.)

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
At this point, Dovahkiin and K.Rool are realistically my only two most wanted characters. If both of them get in...

I guess that'd be a bad thing for Nintendo since I'd never need to buy another Smash game again ever.

Also, since I never posted it here - my writeup in the RTC thread on any possible Skyrim representation. I know that getting Dovahkiin playable is a pipe dream, but at this point he'd hype me to the point that I'd never play another game.

Dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!

Appropriate music necessary:

Chance: 10% (1% for playable, up to 10% for other representation)
Want: 100%

Ok, so for all of my feelings that I’m not a huge fan of third parties in Smash, there is one that I would unabashedly celebrate. I completely admit that I'm a total hypocrite on this one.

However, I know that Dovahkiin becoming playable doesn’t have a snowball's chance. But that's not the only way something could get representation...

Skyrim's actually an older game now - first released in 2011 and since then rereleased on literally everything that could run it. True, it has its flaws and is starting to show its age a bit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it was an amazing game and made an immense impact. Bethesda, for me at least, is the name in open-world RPGs since you can lose yourself so easily, and they're great to come back to over and over again (that reminds me, I need to go back and play Morrowind again).

Normally, despite being a groundbreaking game in the first place, I wouldn't bat my eyes at it in Smash...then the Switch was announced. Of course the announcement trailer showed off Breath of the Wild - everyone knew that BotW was going to be the game that sold Switches. And then...Skyrim? Nintendo's got a Bethesda RPG on it's new console? And it's portable? A Nintendo console is powerful enough for that!? Kinda says something when the second game ever shown off on the Switch behind Breath of the Wild is the archetypal Western RPG. Think about it: Skyrim was shown off before Mario.

Beyond that, I feel Skyrim was influential on Breath of the Wild itself. The two games were compared frequently, and there's a lot of BotW that feels more 'Western RPG' than 'Traditional Zelda.' Sure, each is its own game, but I really did get a 'Skyrim' vibe playing through BotW. I'm willing to bet that the devs did enjoy parts of the game. And, that did end up going both ways as well - Skyrim's Switch release has a few unique features, including BotW-style chests containing a full set of Link's gear (Master Sword, Hylian Shield, and the Champions Tunic), and the new option to make a Wood Elf with blue eyes. Ostensibly so you could play as Link and add 'Dragonborn' to his already impressive array of titles.

As to representation of Skyrim in Smash, though...there's very little precedent. Honestly, I never even considered it until some YouTuber commented "Dovahkiin for Smash!" on the announcement trailer. Sakurai has never put a Western character in as playable, and Dovahkiin also suffers a bit of empty avatar that Robin had - he is a blank character to be filled in by the player, but there is a definite canon look and feel for him. I tried to play the default male Nord Barbarian once, and ended up as a stealth archer again by the first dungeon. Still, I prefer his default look and feel. He'd make a cool barbarian archetype - his concept art has him dual wielding a sword and dagger which would be awesome for normals, but he's also got the potential for a bunch of other weapons if that's too boring - I've got a full moveset using all of his weapons and a few other things in the playable Dovahkiin thread, which I've copied here if anyone's interested. Also, no matter which set of normals, the specials would be great Dragon Shouts:
As Skyrim allows for full character customization and full choice on armor (and their associated questlines), it would be most interesting for the various costumes to reference each in some way. The various costumes could be:

· The default Dragonborn in his iconic outfit, as shown in the wallpaper.
· A female in steel armor, like Lydia
· A male in Stormcloak gear, like Ralof
· A female in Imperial armor, like Legate Rikke
· A male Thieves Guild member, like Brynjolf
· A female Dark Brotherhood assassin, like Astrid
· A male Greybeard, like the one on the loading screen
· A female College of Winterhold mage, like the loading screen

Different costumes could also change the race of the player, giving Redguard Alik’r Warriors, High Elf Thalmor, or Orcs. The looks of fan-favorite styles like Aela or Serana (yes, those two are fan favorites for a reason) could also be used.

To avoid being too similar to a standard sword style in Smash already, Dovahkiin could use hammerspace to pull out different weapons for attacks. For the default, a longsword and a dagger in the off hand would be default, but the off hand could switch out for a staff, a shield, or any other weapon as needed.

Dovahkiin can crawl (uses sneaking animation)

Neutral: a simple sword slash, followed by a dagger thrust.
Ftilt: Equips a shield and does a shield bash.
Utilt: A simple uppercut without a weapon.
Dtilt: Stabs low with dagger.
Dash: Equips a battleaxe and makes a large vertical swipe
Fsmash: Equips a bow and shoots forward. Arrows are affected by gravity, but not to the extent of an uncharged Link bow.
Usmash: Forms an ice rune on the ground, which explodes and launches foes upward.
Dsmash: Equips a battleaxe and sweeps the ground.
Nair: Holds sword and dagger out and spins.
Fair: Swings sword in front.
Bair: Equips a shield and bashes behind.
Uair: Equips a staff and sends a fire blast upwards, like Zelda’s Uair.
Dair: Equips a bow and fires straight down.
Grab: Grabs the enemy with free left hand.
Pummel: Hilt strike with sword.
Fthrow: Kicks enemy to ground, then equips a bow and shoots arrows at him, like Green Arrow’s throw in Injustice 2.
Bthrow: Equips a staff and uses Telekinesis to hoist enemy and throw behind.
Uthrow: Elbows enemy away, then equips a battleaxe and launches enemy upwards.
Dthrow: Turns enemy around and stabs with a dagger, and allows him to fall (similar to Snake’s throw). No knockback, but high damage.

The specials are all based around Shouts in the game

NSpecial: Unrelenting Force – level changes depending on length button is held. Level 1 staggers enemies, level 2 has slight damage and knockback, level 3 has impressive knockback. There is a recharge timer for this.
SSpecial: Fire Breath – Blasts a quick burst of fire forward.
USpecial: Dragon Aspect – An ethereal draconic suit appears around Dovahkiin, and he jets upward on his wings, causing damage and knockback as he flies. After a short upward flight, the armor disappears and he goes into free fall.
DSpecial: Ice Form – Makes a blizzard in a small radius around the Dovahkiin which freezes enemies.

Final Smash: Bend Will – Dovahkiin calls a dragon and mounts. The dragon flies off, and then loops around to cover the screen in a jet of fire, similar to Game of Thrones’ Loot Train Attack.

But there's something I can't ignore: Rayman. He got a trophy in the game despite having no playable representation at all. I think it'd honestly be cool to see loads of trophies to show off third-parties important to Nintendo even without playable representation (and as we mentioned a few days ago, some third-parties would make great stages instead of characters like Minecraft), so this would be awesome. I threw together some quick mockups of trophies that would look incredible.

Or, what about Akira, Jacky, Heihachi, Lloyd, Dragon Hunter, Gil...all Mii Costumes from unrepresented franchises. Again, these are mostly Eastern, but it would be cool enough to stuff a Mii Swordfighter in the iconic armor like the Xbox avatar here. I'd play the heck out of that Mii then.

There's also the option of representation based on music (that awesome soundtrack!), and I'd love to see the Draugr running (well, shuffling) around Smash Run.

I'd love to see any kind of representation for Skyrim really. Of course I'd die of excitement if he were playable, but even so I'd rather him be DLC in the first place. Still not a fan of overstocking the vanilla roster with third parties, and I realize that he doesn't 'fit' in smash thematically to a lot of people so I'd like that as an option. However for me that would be a day one purchase and I would have loads of fun with it.

And just imagine of Dovahkiin and Ridley are both confirmed...? Every dragon needs a hunter! Truly epic Smashfests! Or imagine this: Found on Google...

[Squeaky Kirby voice] FUS RO DAH!

---

I'll abstain on the music thing - I'm a bit sidetracked by Skyrim and have to go start playing that again (and this post is long enough)

Prediction for Lara: 9.9%
Nom: Transformations x5
...that reminds me - I did want to eventually plan a moveset where he mostly stuck to the dual-wielding. Maybe I'll be back with that...after I finish being unimaginably hyped by Ultimate already.

Playcube

Smash Cadet
Hey Smash Fans I Got One Question.

Do you Want to See J'zargo as an Assist Trophy or Not?

He Would do When Summoned he says "J'zargo Knows that you need some Help"or "Ahhh J'zargo Feels Like he just Woke up From a Nap"

What Would He Do?

He Would use his Scroll of Flame Cloak Spells using 7% For each Hit,Summon a Flame Atronach,Frost Atronach, or Use healing hand which heals the player who would summon him.

This is Just an Idea.

So What are Your Guys Thoughts

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I don't know if I could see J'zargo as an assist. He's popular, sure, but the College never seemed like one of the more popular questlines, and J'zargo didn't do more than act high and mighty and give you a spell which blew yourself up. If we got an assist from Skyrim, I'd expect someone who's a bit more well known as a leader of a guild , a major antagonist, or in a fanservicey way.

Probably best would be Aela, Miraak, Serana, Arngeir, or even a dragon like Paarthurnax.

Speaking of - awesome new idea:

Pyrosphere was a royal ****show with Stage Hazardley, and with him being promoted the stage can't exactly return easily. So instead of tossing the concept, we'll just cannabalize it.

New Stage: Throat of the World or High Hrothgar

A castle set atop a snowy peak, or the word wall at the summit. Every so often, high winds will push the fighters around a bit. And sometimes, Alduin will fly down and fight as a stage boss just like Roidley did on Pyrosphere. Just like that, you can also attack Alduin and defeat him for a point. He can either join forces with the best fighter for a bit like Roidley did, or explode into his skeleton on defeat like the other bosses for heavy knockback.

Oh man, I really want Dovahkiin in Smash...

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I could see J'zargo as an assist. He's popular, sure, but the College never seemed like one of the more popular questlines, and J'zargo didn't do more than act high and mighty and give you a spell which blew yourself up. If we got an assist from Skyrim, I'd expect someone who's a bit more well known as a leader of a guild , a major antagonist, or in a fanservicey way.

Probably best would be Aela, Miraak, Serana, Arngeir, or even a dragon like Paarthurnax.

Speaking of - awesome new idea:

Pyrosphere was a royal ****show with Stage Hazardley, and with him being promoted the stage can't exactly return easily. So instead of tossing the concept, we'll just cannabalize it.

New Stage: Throat of the World or High Hrothgar

A castle set atop a snowy peak, or the word wall at the summit. Every so often, high winds will push the fighters around a bit. And sometimes, Alduin will fly down and fight as a stage boss just like Roidley did on Pyrosphere. Just like that, you can also attack Alduin and defeat him for a point. He can either join forces with the best fighter for a bit like Roidley did, or explode into his skeleton on defeat like the other bosses for heavy knockback.

Oh man, I really want Dovahkiin in Smash...
Good Point of J'zargo not being an Assist.Why Not Astrid Instead?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Good Point of J'zargo not being an Assist.Why Not Astrid Instead?
I could easily see that too. Astrid's definitely popular. She could do something like Weavile or Zoroark.

What I would like to see though would be Dovahkiin taking different looks based on costumes. His standard is pretty minimalist, so I wouldn't expect the brown leather to be able to change color too much - look at the color differences Ganondorf had in the last few games.

Instead, I'd like Dovahkiin's alternate costumes to basically take the looks from alternate characters. It'd be a good way to reference the fact that in Skyrim you can choose to be anyone in any guild. I originally made a moveset assuming he could switch out weapon types as well, but I do favor the longsword/dagger combo in the wallpaper art exclusively. Specials would be good as shouts, and it'd be fun if they each got a charging/timeout mechanic like Robin's Thunder tome.

For alternate costumes, I'd choose looks based on:
  • Default character art
  • Female in Steel armor (Lydia)
  • Male in Thieves Guild armor (Brynjolf)
  • Female in Dark Brotherhood armor (Astrid)
  • Male Stormcloak (Ralof)
  • Female Imperial (Rikke)
Or, we could even have various races like the Redguard Alik'r Warroirs, Orc barbarians, or Greybears from the loading screens, or even other characters like Breton mages (Mirabelle), Thalmor (Elenwen), or a character in Blades armor.

For voices, there are several good ones in Skyrim. My favorite would be Robin Atkin Downes (Brynjolf) for the men, and Cindy Robinson (Astrid) sounds good for the females. However the generic voices from Michael Gough (Falk/Ralof/Balgruuf) or Colleen Delany (Lydia/Arcadia/Sorine) are also great.

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I could easily see that too. Astrid's definitely popular. She could do something like Weavile or Zoroark.

What I would like to see though would be Dovahkiin taking different looks based on costumes. His standard is pretty minimalist, so I wouldn't expect the brown leather to be able to change color too much - look at the color differences Ganondorf had in the last few games.

Instead, I'd like Dovahkiin's alternate costumes to basically take the looks from alternate characters. It'd be a good way to reference the fact that in Skyrim you can choose to be anyone in any guild. I originally made a moveset assuming he could switch out weapon types as well, but I do favor the longsword/dagger combo in the wallpaper art exclusively. Specials would be good as shouts, and it'd be fun if they each got a charging/timeout mechanic like Robin's Thunder tome.

For alternate costumes, I'd choose looks based on:
  • Default character art
  • Female in Steel armor (Lydia)
  • Male in Thieves Guild armor (Brynjolf)
  • Female in Dark Brotherhood armor (Astrid)
  • Male Stormcloak (Ralof)
  • Female Imperial (Rikke)
Or, we could even have various races like the Redguard Alik'r Warroirs, Orc barbarians, or Greybears from the loading screens, or even other characters like Breton mages (Mirabelle), Thalmor (Elenwen), or a character in Blades armor.

For voices, there are several good ones in Skyrim. My favorite would be Robin Atkin Downes (Brynjolf) for the men, and Cindy Robinson (Astrid) sounds good for the females. However the generic voices from Michael Gough (Falk/Ralof/Balgruuf) or Colleen Delany (Lydia/Arcadia/Sorine) are also great.
We Could have Bandits and Other Monsters as Enemies in SSB5 and Alduin as a Subspace Emissary Boss

Last edited:

Nerscylla

Smash Rookie
A silly question, but what is the competition for the spot as a western third-party character?
I see DragonBorn
Solaire/Chosen Undead
DoomGuy(Unlikely)
Thats all I can think of, but can someone help list them out for me?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
A silly question, but what is the competition for the spot as a western third-party character?
I see DragonBorn
Solaire/Chosen Undead
DoomGuy(Unlikely)
Thats all I can think of, but can someone help list them out for me?
Dovahkiin actually seems pretty low on the list, unfortunately.

The most requested/likely Western 3rd parties I see around are:
  • Rayman (Ubisoft), based on the random trophy he got in the last game
  • Banjo-Kazooie (Formerly Rare, now Microsoft), since they were big names in the N64 era around the time of DK64, which went away once Rare got bought out
  • Steve (Minecraft, now Microsoft) for being a worldwide phenomenon. For me, though, I'd see a stage much more likely than the PC since the game is all about what you can make
  • Shovel Knight and Shantae (Indie)
I think Dovahkiin also gets hurt a bit since requests for him didn't really crop up until after the Skyrim port was announced, which was WAY after the ballot. Honestly the two Bethesda guys and Solaire are all suffereing from this while the others aren't

Still, Smash has never had a western 3rd party character. Sakurai likes to have creative control but be accurate to the character, so there may be a lot of language barriers in addition to legal barriers. Add to that that a lot of these characters are "Hello, [INSERT NAME HERE]" player characters, and things are not good for most of them outside of BK and Rayman.

I think Dovahkiin's best chances would be if Skyrim really impressed Sakurai and the Japanese. Breath of the Wild definitely did feel like a Bethesda-esque RPG, and they definitely did talk to each other to put some Zelda stuff in the Skyrim port. The Shouts would make for a really fun playstyle, but with few requests...it's not looking good. I can still dream though.

We Could have Bandits and Other Monsters as Enemies in SSB5 and Alduin as a Subspace Emissary Boss
Alduin would make a great boss. I dunno if we'll be getting SSE back, but I think a new Smash Run is logical, and I'd love to see the Draugr in there. They look so good in Skyrim, and they're pretty iconic enemies in their own right.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Sorry for the double post - it’s been a while and I’ve been thinking of how I’d implement a playable Dovahkiin.

The various art most commonly shows him with a sword/dagger combo or a sword/shield combo. We don’t really have a dual wielder in the cast, and the various Links are the only one with shields but they don’t use them offensively. Thus, I decided to stick with those to base a moveset on.

Dovahkiin will have his shield on his back, and both weapons equipped. Like in Skyrim, it’s easiest if the off-hand dagger just disappears if necessary or if he picks up an item. He can also sheathe the sword for any moves or items that need both hands.

Based on the customization possible, I made costumes for several race/gender choices. There are two models (male and female) which act the same way, similar to Robin’s two options.
Possible costumes:
Dovahkiin Colors.png

Male 1: default Nord. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Female 1: takes Lydia’s appearance. I debated on Aela, but Lydia is one of the better known characters and she’s more armored.
Male 2: takes after Brynjolf. Red hair, green eyes.
Female 2: blonde hair, blue eyes. I used Stormcloak colors for her.
Male 3: Redguard, black hair, brown eyes. I went with an imperial color scheme, but took Tullius’ gold armor since all the other men had grey. Not that the Redguards would support the empire by Skyrim, but eh...
Female 3: Altmer. I took a gold Elven recolor for the armor, and gave it some Thalmor black touches.
Male 4: Orc. This model will have a slight difference from the other male models to get the correct teeth. Armor is darker like the Orcish armor in game.
Female 4: Dunmer. I tried a Dark Brotherhood motif for the armor here.

While I hesitate to call it a ‘gimmick,’ Dovahkiin’s specials rely on recharging shouts. Each shout has three charge levels (uncharged, from just tapping the button; half charge from holding for a bit; and full charge from olding longer). Uncharged shouts can be used anytime and do not add to the recharge timer. Charged shouts can only be used when not in cooldown, but will go into a cooldown phase after use. Naturally the more a move is charged, the more powerful it is.

Cooldown is shown as a bar on the UI. Like in Skyrim, the bar will glow in cooldown, and will fade when done. To improve visibility, the entire bar will be filled.
Dovahkiin Icon.png

Neutral​
Skyrim’s standard attack: Two sword swipes from right to left, then left to right.​
Ftilt​
Lunges and stabs with the dagger.​
Utilt​
Sword swipe above him. Similar to the first swipe of Link’s uSmash.​
Dtilt​
A dagger swipe while crouching (Skyrim’s Off-hand attack while in Sneak mode).​
Dash​
Does a spinning attack (Skyrim’s Sword/Dagger Power Attack). 3 hits:​
- Quick dagger slash to the left.​
- Heavy sword swipe to the left, turning him.​
- Heavy dagger backhand.​
FSmash​
Powerful shield bash (Skyrim’s Power Bash). Charges while holding the shield in front of him. Does great knockback and gives armor for the duration. Punishable.​
USmash​
Stabs the air with his sword while shouting. Small windbox effect around him.​
DSmash​
Plants the sword in the ground similar to the Talos statues. Lots of end lag.​
Nair​
Spins around with sword and dagger out.​
Fair​
Heavy slash in front of him with his sword.​
Bair​
Tosses dagger and catches it in a reverse grip, then stabs behind him.​
Uair​
Slashes both blades above him in a cross pattern.​
Dair​
Equips shield and falls to a three-point landing. Small ground tremor.​
Grab​
Empties left hand and grabs enemy by the collar. Sheathes sword on successful grab.​
Pummel​
Punches enemy in the face with his right hand.​
Fthrow​
Tackles enemy to the ground and slams shield into their chest, similar to the Captain America/Iron Man fight in Civil War. High damage but no knockback. Natural combo into dSmash.​
Bthrow​
Grabs enemy with right hand and shoves them behind him. Meanwhile, equips shield in the left. Tosses shield at dazed enemy, and it bounces back to him.​
Uthrow​
Uppercuts enemy, and then grabs dazed enemy by the feet and throws them upwards.​
Dthrow​
Pulls enemy in and turns them around. Stabs them in the neck with dagger. Similar to Taki’s throw from the Soul Calibur series. Enemy collapses at his feet. High damage, no knockback.​
Floor​
Slashes both blades on either side​
Edge​
Pulls himself up with his left while slashing vertically with his sword​

Standard B​
Unrelenting Force:​
Fus – Similar size to Lucas’ PSI Magnet. Does minimal damage and trips opponents in range.​
Fus Ro – Makes a projectile which will launch enemies and do damage. Damage and knockback decrease as distance from Dovahkiin increases. Projectile moves slightly over ½ length of Final Destination. Medium recharge time.​
Fus Ro Dah – Projectile travels ¾ of Final Destination. Stronger damage/knockback, but will decay over distance. Also includes a small hitbox directly in front of his mouth which is a OHKO. Extremely long recharge. Kirby’s copy does not have the OHKO hitbox, but also has a slightly shorter recharge.​
Up B​
Dragon Aspect:​
Mul – A small windbox boosts him slightly. Gives barely any height, similar to Robin’s tomeless Elwind or SoPo’s Belay​
Mul Qah – Gains spectral Dragon armor and windbox gives a major boost similar to Wario’s Corkscrew or Lillte Mac’s uppercut. Spectral horns act as a hitbox. Low recharge time.​
Mul Qah Diiv – Spectral armor now includes wings. Higher recovery, which can be angled, and then goes into a glide for a few seconds like Peach’s Parasol. Getting hit or timing it out puts him in free fall. Medium recharge time.​
Side B​
Fire Breath:​
Yol – A quick blast of fire like Mario’s custom Fast Fireball.​
Yol Toor – A stronger fireball, like Bowser’s custom Fire Shot. Low recharge time.​
Yol Toor Shul – A strong fireball that explodes like a Smart Bomb on contact. Leaves a fire on stage for a time. High recharge time.​
Down B​
Ice Form:​
Iiz – A nondamaging windbox on either side, similar to Mario’s custom Gust Cape, but hits both sides of him.​
Iiz Slen – Adds ice damage to the windboxes. Similar to Ice Climbers’ Blizzard. Low recharge time.​
Iiz Slen Nus – Large ice storm similar to Suicune’s Blizzard. High recharge time.​
Final Smash​
Bend Will:​
Shouts “Gol Hah Dov” to force a dragon to land, then climbs aboard and it flies off. It hovers in the background while the player shoots a jet of fire similar to Lucario’s Final Smash Aura Storm.​

I also came up with some other possible animations for the Dragonborn:
Appearance​
Dismounts from a horse, and then unsheathes his sword and dagger.​
Idle 1​
Stretches shoulders and flexes blades menacingly. Similar to idle animations for bandits in Skyrim.​
Idle 2​
Sheathes dagger, adjusts helmet/hair, and then pulls dagger back out.​
Taunt 1​
Pulls out a war horn with his left hand, shouts “Victory or Sovngarde!” and blasts.​
Taunt 2​
Pulls out a tankard with his left hand and toasts the enemy (“For Skyrim!”) before downing it. 1/10 chance that he will pull a jug of milk instead.​
Taunt 3​
Equips his shield and smacks the shield twice with his sword. Similar to one of the bandit idle animations, or Wonder Woman’s entrance in Injustice
Victory 1​
Camera zooms around as if it were a dragon as Dovahkiin looks up at it. Name appears right as camera flies in close and he shouts.​
Victory 2​
Dovahkiin kneels in prayer and seems to be absorbing a soul. Name appears as he looks up and opens his eyes.​
Victory 3​
Dovahkiin flies in on Paarthurnax. He dismounts and name appears as he looks heroically outward.​
Phew...that was a lot. Please let me know what you think!

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting The Elder Scrolls Online for my PS4. I support!

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dragonborn would have a extraordinary move set with his dragon shouts but I can't think of his Final Smash other than Dragon Slayer? The dragon shouts should be his Natural B you can charge to more powerful.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
You know, in my head I was originally against the idea of Dovahkiin getting in for some strange reason, but the more I thought about it, the more I came to like the idea of him being in, I originally thought he would look to out of place, but then I remembered Snake's in the game and he's realistic and I think he actually fits in quite nice, so who's to say Dovahkiin can't? I support!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I wanna ask here:

Sakurai made Monado Jump and Monado Speed for Shulk, right?

What’re the chances that Sakurai would make an original Dragon Shout for Smash Bros (Whether it be in a Final Smash or something.)?

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So I wanna ask here:

What’re the chances that Sakurai would make an original Dragon Shout for Smash Bros (Whether it be in a Final Smash or something.)?
Interesting thought. There is certainly enough to use for a moveset in the current ones, but some liberties need to be taken.

The neutral special should undeniably be Unrelenting Force. It's the most iconic shout and was memed to death within hours of Skyrim's first reveal. That's the one Kirby needs to copy.

For the rest though...there's a wide assortment. The biggest issue would be finding something that could act as a recovery since there are very few 'jump' shouts. Really, the Dragon Aspect idea I had for my moveset is borrowed from a mod - the base game doesn't give ethereal wings. I'd decided on a Fire Breath side special since that does seem to be a pretty common dragon power and you get it from Paarthurnax (among others). Down special could also be any number of things, like a higher knockback for a time (Elemental Fury? Marked for Death?) or a speed/power tradeoff (Whirlwind Sprint). Final Smash is also completely up for grabs as well.

Still, even if we did get a custom shout, I'd hope they look up and use some proper words dragon words. Or even ask Bethesda's crew how to say "Smash" in Dragon :laugh:
seriously, if they went and did that and included a shout that Bethesda confirmed translated to "Super Final Smash," that would be the most awesome crossover content ever

K.K. Slider

Smash Rookie
Sorry for the double post - it’s been a while and I’ve been thinking of how I’d implement a playable Dovahkiin.

The various art most commonly shows him with a sword/dagger combo or a sword/shield combo. We don’t really have a dual wielder in the cast, and the various Links are the only one with shields but they don’t use them offensively. Thus, I decided to stick with those to base a moveset on.

Dovahkiin will have his shield on his back, and both weapons equipped. Like in Skyrim, it’s easiest if the off-hand dagger just disappears if necessary or if he picks up an item. He can also sheathe the sword for any moves or items that need both hands.

Based on the customization possible, I made costumes for several race/gender choices. There are two models (male and female) which act the same way, similar to Robin’s two options.
Possible costumes:
View attachment 153410
Male 1: default Nord. Blond hair, blue eyes.
Female 1: takes Lydia’s appearance. I debated on Aela, but Lydia is one of the better known characters and she’s more armored.
Male 2: takes after Brynjolf. Red hair, green eyes.
Female 2: blonde hair, blue eyes. I used Stormcloak colors for her.
Male 3: Redguard, black hair, brown eyes. I went with an imperial color scheme, but took Tullius’ gold armor since all the other men had grey. Not that the Redguards would support the empire by Skyrim, but eh...
Female 3: Altmer. I took a gold Elven recolor for the armor, and gave it some Thalmor black touches.
Male 4: Orc. This model will have a slight difference from the other male models to get the correct teeth. Armor is darker like the Orcish armor in game.
Female 4: Dunmer. I tried a Dark Brotherhood motif for the armor here.

While I hesitate to call it a ‘gimmick,’ Dovahkiin’s specials rely on recharging shouts. Each shout has three charge levels (uncharged, from just tapping the button; half charge from holding for a bit; and full charge from olding longer). Uncharged shouts can be used anytime and do not add to the recharge timer. Charged shouts can only be used when not in cooldown, but will go into a cooldown phase after use. Naturally the more a move is charged, the more powerful it is.

Cooldown is shown as a bar on the UI. Like in Skyrim, the bar will glow in cooldown, and will fade when done. To improve visibility, the entire bar will be filled.
View attachment 153455

Neutral​
Skyrim’s standard attack: Two sword swipes from right to left, then left to right.​
Ftilt​
Lunges and stabs with the dagger.​
Utilt​
Sword swipe above him. Similar to the first swipe of Link’s uSmash.​
Dtilt​
A dagger swipe while crouching (Skyrim’s Off-hand attack while in Sneak mode).​
Dash​
Does a spinning attack (Skyrim’s Sword/Dagger Power Attack). 3 hits:​
- Quick dagger slash to the left.​
- Heavy sword swipe to the left, turning him.​
- Heavy dagger backhand.​
FSmash​
Powerful shield bash (Skyrim’s Power Bash). Charges while holding the shield in front of him. Does great knockback and gives armor for the duration. Punishable.​
USmash​
Stabs the air with his sword while shouting. Small windbox effect around him.​
DSmash​
Plants the sword in the ground similar to the Talos statues. Lots of end lag.​
Nair​
Spins around with sword and dagger out.​
Fair​
Heavy slash in front of him with his sword.​
Bair​
Tosses dagger and catches it in a reverse grip, then stabs behind him.​
Uair​
Slashes both blades above him in a cross pattern.​
Dair​
Equips shield and falls to a three-point landing. Small ground tremor.​
Grab​
Empties left hand and grabs enemy by the collar. Sheathes sword on successful grab.​
Pummel​
Punches enemy in the face with his right hand.​
Fthrow​
Tackles enemy to the ground and slams shield into their chest, similar to the Captain America/Iron Man fight in Civil War. High damage but no knockback. Natural combo into dSmash.​
Bthrow​
Grabs enemy with right hand and shoves them behind him. Meanwhile, equips shield in the left. Tosses shield at dazed enemy, and it bounces back to him.​
Uthrow​
Uppercuts enemy, and then grabs dazed enemy by the feet and throws them upwards.​
Dthrow​
Pulls enemy in and turns them around. Stabs them in the neck with dagger. Similar to Taki’s throw from the Soul Calibur series. Enemy collapses at his feet. High damage, no knockback.​
Floor​
Slashes both blades on either side​
Edge​
Pulls himself up with his left while slashing vertically with his sword​

Standard B​
Unrelenting Force:​
Fus – Similar size to Lucas’ PSI Magnet. Does minimal damage and trips opponents in range.​
Fus Ro – Makes a projectile which will launch enemies and do damage. Damage and knockback decrease as distance from Dovahkiin increases. Projectile moves slightly over ½ length of Final Destination. Medium recharge time.​
Fus Ro Dah – Projectile travels ¾ of Final Destination. Stronger damage/knockback, but will decay over distance. Also includes a small hitbox directly in front of his mouth which is a OHKO. Extremely long recharge. Kirby’s copy does not have the OHKO hitbox, but also has a slightly shorter recharge.​
Up B​
Dragon Aspect:​
Mul – A small windbox boosts him slightly. Gives barely any height, similar to Robin’s tomeless Elwind or SoPo’s Belay​
Mul Qah – Gains spectral Dragon armor and windbox gives a major boost similar to Wario’s Corkscrew or Lillte Mac’s uppercut. Spectral horns act as a hitbox. Low recharge time.​
Mul Qah Diiv – Spectral armor now includes wings. Higher recovery, which can be angled, and then goes into a glide for a few seconds like Peach’s Parasol. Getting hit or timing it out puts him in free fall. Medium recharge time.​
Side B​
Fire Breath:​
Yol – A quick blast of fire like Mario’s custom Fast Fireball.​
Yol Toor – A stronger fireball, like Bowser’s custom Fire Shot. Low recharge time.​
Yol Toor Shul – A strong fireball that explodes like a Smart Bomb on contact. Leaves a fire on stage for a time. High recharge time.​
Down B​
Ice Form:​
Iiz – A nondamaging windbox on either side, similar to Mario’s custom Gust Cape, but hits both sides of him.​
Iiz Slen – Adds ice damage to the windboxes. Similar to Ice Climbers’ Blizzard. Low recharge time.​
Iiz Slen Nus – Large ice storm similar to Suicune’s Blizzard. High recharge time.​
Final Smash​
Bend Will:​
Shouts “Gol Hah Dov” to force a dragon to land, then climbs aboard and it flies off. It hovers in the background while the player shoots a jet of fire similar to Lucario’s Final Smash Aura Storm.​

I also came up with some other possible animations for the Dragonborn:
Appearance​
Dismounts from a horse, and then unsheathes his sword and dagger.​
Idle 1​
Stretches shoulders and flexes blades menacingly. Similar to idle animations for bandits in Skyrim.​
Idle 2​
Sheathes dagger, adjusts helmet/hair, and then pulls dagger back out.​
Taunt 1​
Pulls out a war horn with his left hand, shouts “Victory or Sovngarde!” and blasts.​
Taunt 2​
Pulls out a tankard with his left hand and toasts the enemy (“For Skyrim!”) before downing it. 1/10 chance that he will pull a jug of milk instead.​
Taunt 3​
Equips his shield and smacks the shield twice with his sword. Similar to one of the bandit idle animations, or Wonder Woman’s entrance in Injustice
Victory 1​
Camera zooms around as if it were a dragon as Dovahkiin looks up at it. Name appears right as camera flies in close and he shouts.​
Victory 2​
Dovahkiin kneels in prayer and seems to be absorbing a soul. Name appears as he looks up and opens his eyes.​
Victory 3​
Dovahkiin flies in on Paarthurnax. He dismounts and name appears as he looks heroically outward.​
Phew...that was a lot. Please let me know what you think!
Man I wish Sakurai looked at SmashBoards because this is absolutely sick. Like seriously, nice job dude.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So I wanna ask here:

Its possible, but I don't think it's necessary. The Dragonborn has enough shouts (Over 25) to implement into his moveset. Also, Unrelenting Force, or Fus-Ro-Dah is a mandatory shout for it is the most iconic of all shouts. So that's already one shout down.

For a Final Smash, there's a few cool shouts that exist that can create a bad ass final smash.

-Call Dragon (Summons Odahviing)
-Call of Valor (Summons Sovngarde Heroes)
-Storm Call (Summons a destructive storm)
-Summon Durnehviir (Summons Durnehviir- personally I don't like this one because he's a DLC shout)
-Meteor Storm (Alduin's signature shout. Could be an interesting reference.)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, guys, brain just hatched an idea:

Miraak as an Echo Fighter for Dovahkiin! They have similar powers, they can fight similarly and Miraak is a villain, which Smash is getting a few of recently with Ridley, Dark Samus and K. Rool!

Freecs

Smash Cadet
Dovahkiin is the only plausible character I can think of whose reveal would reach the same level of hype and attention as Cloud Strife’s reveal. If Nintendo wants to 1-up themselves with Ultimate, then an Elder Scrolls character is quite frankly their only option.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Big news! Bethesda's vice president of PR and marketing has confirmed that Bethesda has talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros. We only have that affirmation alone, no other elaboration. But still, this is exciting news for the Dragonborn (or Doomguy) to join the fight!
I'm wondering how this is going to play into things now...

'Bethesda content' could be literally anything, from a playable character all the way down to just regular trophies (which would still be amazing to see, but not as cool as a playable Dovahkiin), and for a few notable games as well. Or are they already starting to put out feelers ane do the legal dealings for DLC? Add to that the box theory (which I'm not currently buying, but it does have some merit), and there's a lot of potential here.
  • Playable Dovahkiin - obviously the dream. Skyrim was really well regarded, and is one of the few western games to make a 40/40 on Famitsu. I'd kill to see this happen
  • Playable Doomguy - another possibility since Doom is basically the progenitor of FPS's, and I think he's got a bit more popularity behind him. Still, I don't know how much they like FPS games in Japan.
  • Either as an assist - definitely could still work out, and we haven't yet seen a playable Western character. Would still be great to see.
  • Mii Costumes - Dovahkiin's a great costume for the swordfighter and Doom's armor for the gunner. Throw in Vault Boy for the brawler and you've got a full set of Bethesda Miis
  • Bosses - I can't really see Alduin as a boss since Rathalos exists and there'd be overlap, but we could get some Doom bosses. Dunno the games, but don't they have some big demons as bosses?
I'd really be cool with DLC character packs, so I'd buy something that gives Dovahkiin and Doomguy with their own stages. Honestly anything that gets me DovahKirby would be glorious.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
It would be so cool to see this guy, I whole-heartedly support him. Skyrim is one of my favorite games ever, and having it in Smash would be a dream come true.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
So after that last direct, I’m still curious about what exactly Bethesda and Nintendo talked about in that one interview.

Are there some spirits from Beth games we just didn’t see lost in the shuffle? Or (praying for this) is there a chance Dovahkiin could get one of those DLC slots?

Man, if they announced the dragonborn was coming for DLC, I would be hyped beyond belief. I’d love it if he came with a nice Skyrim stage with a day/night cycle (get those nice auroras in the background) and maybe even Alduin as a stage boss. Plus some of the awesome dragon battle songs like Watch the Skies or the background music in Sovngarde. And of course the main theme of Skyrim...maybe even throw in the main themes of Morrowind and Oblivion since they were also epic.

I wonder if DLC characters will cone with more spirits? It’d be cool to see Alduin or Paarthurnax spirits (I could totally see the Alduin spirit posessing Ridley).

Here’s hoping that we get a chance!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I said it in the general, but if we get a Bethesda rep, Dovahkiin seems the most likely. I'm not a Skyrim fan, but I'm a fan of the character and how they'd play. It'd be a huge icon, and with the talks it really feels like they MIGHT be one of the DLC. Plus, a cool stage and music to come with makes sense. Popularity, interesting moveset, and Skyrim on Switch was a BIG deal and still is. I could see it.

Both Dovahkiin and Doom Slayer have around the same odds I think, with Doom Slayer being slightly more deserving since he's been on more Nintendo consoles and is one of the grandfathers of the FPS genre.

I really want both since I think they're both franchises deserving of Smash representation third party wise and would make amazing Smash fighters.

Elder Scrolls is my favourite Bethesda franchise so I think I'd be a bit more happy if Dovahkiin got in since I have nostalgia for the series.

Please give us both Sakurai!

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Dragonborns and Doomguy? Great ideas! With the exception of aerial recoveries they are already ready to go for a fight.

Though I hope they are in Smash 7 not Ultimate. And that's only because they are big enough to be in the base roster.

Let's hope though!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just thought of some cool ideas for Skyrim Spirits Battles for if Dovahkiin makes it in:

1) The First Dragonborn
Fighter: Robin
Primary Spirit: Miraak
Effect of Spirit: Increased Special Damage.
Rules:
Stamina Battle (100 HP)
Stage: Dracula’s Castle (Closest thing I could find to Apocrypha)
Items Off
Robin starts with Bowser, Charizard and Ridley on his side. When Robin reaches critical levels, he will go to one of them and use Nosferatu on them, instantly KO’ing them and healing all damage. Robin can be defeated after he has drained all three other characters.
(References final battle against Miraak in Dragonborn questline.)

2) The World Eater
Fighter: Ridley
Primary Spirit: Alduin
Effect of Spirit: Increased damage to Specials used midair.
Rules:
Stamina Battle
Ridley is under the effects of the Super Mushroom.
Assist Trophy for the Moon will occasionally spawn.
Stage: Summit
Player starts with Mario on your side.
(Reference to battle against Alduin at the Throat of the World, with Mario representing Paarthurnax. The Moon Assist Trophy is meant to represent Alduin’ meteor Shout.)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
For some reason, I've been thinking that Dragonborn is actually a pretty serious contender for DLC and I'm not sure why so many people are sleeping on their chances. Nintendo seems to really like Skyrim considering that they heavily advertised the game alongside the Switch's reveal and also included some Zelda items in the port of that game. It was even the main influence for Breath of the Wild's development according to Aonuma, so I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't want to promote the game that led to the success of one of their biggest games of all times in recent years.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
For some reason, I've been thinking that Dragonborn is actually a pretty serious contender for DLC and I'm not sure why so many people are sleeping on their chances. Nintendo seems to really like Skyrim considering that they heavily advertised the game alongside the Switch's reveal and also included some Zelda items in the port of that game. It was even the main influence for Breath of the Wild's development according to Aonuma, so I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't want to promote the game that led to the success of one of their biggest games of all times in recent years.
I mentioned Dragonborn in the exact thread. I keep having this positive feeling about him. He's unpredictable.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
DLC is our last hope for Ultimate TES representation, and we have five chances for the Dragonborn to be included (Piranha Plant was confirmed to be separate from the 5 member season pass). The Dragonborn still has a good chance to get into this game as a playable character, and despite everyone who would rest on him, I still have faith myself that we'll be shouting down smash characters in the future.

Its gonna be a long, cold winter. So bundle up well, and no matter what, always be reasonable and understanding, no matter what happens. And may Talos guide us all into the Ultimate fight

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I want in on this support list. When it comes to modern video game icons that would be perfect in Smash I cannot think of any that would be more hype than Dovahkiin. Big hopes for DLC. It's funny, I think I like the character and moves and lore more than the game itself.

(Not that this is a hate post - I got some fun out of it, just, yknow, Dovahkiin in Smash is way cooler to me than Dovahkiin in Skyrim.)

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It's been a while, but I'm not giving up yet!

I'm actually really interested to see where the DLC for this game is going to end up going. Now that everything's being datamined, it still leaves the question open of whether or not Spirits will disconfirm characters, at least for round 1 of the DLC. If so, there really aren't too many options, and we're still waiting for news on why Bethesda talked to Nintendo about Smash.

There are definitely a lot of arguments against it, considering that Skyrim was a one off game, but I'm hoping the fact that TES is Bethesda's baby will get it in. Skyrim did well in Japan, and I believe that it did influence BotW in some way - I just haven't seen a source on that. With Nintendo choosing DLC, our best chance is that they want to reward Beth for supporting the Switch - remember that Skyrim was the second game shown off for the Switch after only BotW in the launch trailer, and they did make it seem like a big deal.

So in that theme, I've decided to consider some possibilities...

I'd love to see Dovahkiin added with a stage that has a day/night cycle where random nights will have an aurora in the sky. That happened my second night when I played Skyrim the first time, and I was awestruck. I'd also love to see a few notable songs: Dragonborn (Main Theme), One They Fear, Watch the Skies (both play during dragon battles), and the BGM in Sovngarde. It'd also be cool to bring back other TES music as well - they may not have been on Nintendo (Hey Beth, great idea to just port in Morrowind and/or Oblivion!), but the themes from Morrowind (Nerevar Rising) or Oblivion (Reign of the Septims) would also be beyond amazing. Can you imagine the awesomeness if they announced ports for those two as a segue into revealing a playable Dovahkiin?

And Classic mode! I'd imagined a Classic run for the Dovahkiin before:
  • Training with the Master - 1v1 vs. Link on Great Plateau
  • Dungeon Delving - 2v2 with Simon vs. Ganondorf and Robin on Castle Siege
  • Forest Ambush - 1v10 vs. Team Wolf on Gaur Plain
  • Blessing of Sovngarde - 1vMetal vs. Metal Palutena on Palutena’s Temple
  • Dragon Battle - FFA vs. Charizard, Corrin, Yoshi on Coliseum
  • Destroyer of Worlds - 1vGiant vs. Giant Ridley on Bridge of Eldin
And then this could all finish off with a fighta against Rathalos as the final boss!

And also, are we getting Spirits with DLC? I'd love to see some of the Spirit battles people have already mentioned in the thread! I wonder what other characters we could get. Bonus points if we can also look to other TES games - Azura? Mehrunes Dagon? Crassius Curio :laugh:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
And also, are we getting Spirits with DLC? I'd love to see some of the Spirit battles people have already mentioned in the thread! I wonder what other characters we could get. Bonus points if we can also look to other TES games - Azura? Mehrunes Dagon? Crassius Curio :laugh:
Earlier on this thread I thought of a Miraak Spirit Battle where you fight against Robin, Ridley, Charizard and Bowser. It would be a stamina match where every time Robin gets to critical levels of damage, he’d use Nosferatu on one of the latter three to fully replenish his health and instantly KO them.

Transform987

Smash Rookie
His recovery would have to him FusRoDahing himself upwards, making his helpless animation him rag dolling

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, but now I'm imagining a Giant for an Assist Trophy.
Now I’m just imagining the Fighters with rag doll physics in Smash Bros! I don’t know why, but just imagining their limbs being flailed around as they’re being juggled kind makes me smile a little.

Top Bottom