• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Another E3 comes and goes, and yet the Dragonborn hasn't come. We do have a chance at our 11/11/11 CP11/10th anniversary gambit, but at this point things aren't looking too good...

Then again, there is a theory that, because COVID threw Smash off schedule, that the "Banjo" of this E3 was delayed, so we could very well still be in this! If anything, this proved that the Vault Boy mii costume isn't an obstacle anymore!

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
After E3 my expectations dropped, so honestly I wasn't expecting us to get anything. So this Mii costume actually came as a pleasant surprise!
Granted I wish we had gotten the Deluxe instead of Shantae, but it isn't a huge deal. This will put us in a better position next time around!

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Sorry you guys didn't make it. I never really cared for a playable Dragonborn but I'm disappointed his costume isn't coming with the elder scrolls theme.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
...welp, there goes my most wanted character. This Mii Fighter Costume round was an absolute bloodbath, holy ****. And that extra comment from Sakurai on how all of those ones were wanted as playable. Oof, that really stung...

It was fun while it lasted everybody. Even if we didn't get what we wanted in the end, thanks for keeping the hype alive! At least the Mii Costume looks cool.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
...welp, there goes my most wanted character. This Mii Fighter Costume round was an absolute bloodbath, holy ****. And that extra comment from Sakurai on how all of those ones were wanted as playable. Oof, that really stung...

It was fun while it lasted everybody. Even if we didn't get what we wanted in the end, thanks for keeping the hype alive! At least the Mii Costume looks cool.
At least Sakurai recognizes the demand for him, if what he said applied to all of the Mii fighters. Even if we don't have him now, we could be looking at a bright future!

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
While this thread obviously wants Dragonborn, I was still surprised to learn that they were apparently a popular request. I don't see them often in online polls, if ever, so this is new to me.
Makes me wonder if the Dovahkiin actually had a sizable Japanese following. I know that a few Western characters, such as Crash, are actually pretty popular over there. And Skyrim is among the three Western games to ever receive a perfect Famitsu score, so it’s clearly quite beloved over there.

It would be awesome if this was actually a request from Nintendo, or even a personal desire for Sakurai. Big open world RPGs like Fallout and Elder Scrolls seem right up his alley.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Makes me wonder if the Dovahkiin actually had a sizable Japanese following. I know that a few Western characters, such as Crash, are actually pretty popular over there. And Skyrim is among the three Western games to ever receive a perfect Famitsu score, so it’s clearly quite beloved over there.

It would be awesome if this was actually a request from Nintendo, or even a personal desire for Sakurai. Big open world RPGs like Fallout and Elder Scrolls seem right up his alley.
Yeah I guess it'd make sense if there was quite a number of fan requests for Dovahkiin over from Japan, and that we just never actually saw or heard any of it (silent majority ballot votes maybe? Skyrim was released 10 years ago after all, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of japanese fans voting Dovahkiin a few years later). I did feel that people had been seriously sleeping on Dovahkiin as a Smash candidate, but maybe that will change for next Smash Bros.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion

Indeed! The Elder Scrolls (and even Fallout despite its' nuclear themes) are surprisingly popular over in Japan! The community at large doesn't really pay much attention to Japanese speculation.

SAKURAI REFERENCES ARROW IN THE KNEE

Along with a nice anniversary tweet for Bethesda Softworks!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Skyrim has sold over 30 million copies world wide since 2016, and it's by far Bethesda's most successful game.

It doesn't surprise me that there might have been a decently large amount of (silent) requests for Dragonborn given how big the game is worldwide. I remember soon after Skyrim's reveal on Switch seeing a Japanese meme post on twitter saying that now that Skyrim is on Switch, the Whiterun Guard was a shoo-in for Smash. :b

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I’ve always wholeheartedly believed that the Dragonborn was the frontrunner for a Bethesda rep, and one of the biggest frontrunners for Western reps in general.

The way everyone rallied behind Doomguy as the obvious Bethesda rep was always really strange to me. While not as extreme, it kind of reminded me of Smash 4 when everyone supported Geno, while ignoring Cloud as the clear Square Enix mascot. Not only is Elder Scrolls an original Bethesda franchise, but it’s also way bigger than DOOM, with Skyrim alone selling more than the entire series, even after DOOM Eternal. I mean, DOOM is still a big deal to the FPS genre and Doomguy is still a big request, so it’s not like he’s without his merits. I just don’t see why he was always considered one of the big obvious third party picks, while Dragonborn was always an under the radar sleeper pick.

The biggest critique that I usually heard against Elder Scrolls in Smash was that the Dragonborn himself wasn’t iconic enough and is just a “generic avatar.” The same kind of criticism that you’d hear against Chosen Undead or Monster Hunter. However, I feel like the Mii costume kind of shows that the Dragonborn himself is iconic. While most players will make their Dragonborn look however they want, the classic Nord with an iron helmet, hide armor, and steel sword has become an incredibly iconic look and has been used in tons of promotional stuff. If he was just a generic, nonspecific avatar, then there would be no reason to have him as a Mii costume.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I’ve always wholeheartedly believed that the Dragonborn was the frontrunner for a Bethesda rep, and one of the biggest frontrunners for Western reps in general.

The way everyone rallied behind Doomguy as the obvious Bethesda rep was always really strange to me. While not as extreme, it kind of reminded me of Smash 4 when everyone supported Geno, while ignoring Cloud as the clear Square Enix mascot. Not only is Elder Scrolls an original Bethesda franchise, but it’s also way bigger than DOOM, with Skyrim alone selling more than the entire series, even after DOOM Eternal. I mean, DOOM is still a big deal to the FPS genre and Doomguy is still a big request, so it’s not like he’s without his merits. I just don’t see why he was always considered one of the big obvious third party picks, while Dragonborn was always an under the radar sleeper pick.

The biggest critique that I usually heard against Elder Scrolls in Smash was that the Dragonborn himself wasn’t iconic enough and is just a “generic avatar.” The same kind of criticism that you’d hear against Chosen Undead or Monster Hunter. However, I feel like the Mii costume kind of shows that the Dragonborn himself is iconic. While most players will make their Dragonborn look however they want, the classic Nord with an iron helmet, hide armor, and steel sword has become an incredibly iconic look and has been used in tons of promotional stuff. If he was just a generic, nonspecific avatar, then there would be no reason to have him as a Mii costume.
To clarify something, the Doom sales numbers might not be accurate. Doom (1993) was freeware for a long time. So a lot more people had that game than the sales numbers suggest.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
To clarify something, the Doom sales numbers might not be accurate. Doom (1993) was freeware for a long time. So a lot more people had that game than the sales numbers suggested.
That's totally fair, and it wouldn't surprise me if the game has sold much better than what's been recorded. I still doubt that it comes anywhere close to Skyrim's absolutely ludicrous 30 million copies.

I do hope that DOOM gets some acknowledgement in Smash though. Having Elders Scrolls, Fallout, and DOOM featured in Ultimate would be awesome. Though I'm honestly just so happy that we have the Dovahkiin Mii. I actually quite enjoy playing as the Miis, and while he doesn't look as good as Vault Boy, it's still one of the better looking Mii costumes and easily my favorite Swordfighter costume so far. I'm honestly pumped for the costume to drop.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
To clarify something, the Doom sales numbers might not be accurate. Doom (1993) was freeware for a long time. So a lot more people had that game than the sales numbers suggested.
The same can be said for so many games. For starter, we don't know Japanese sales number for Halo on Steam. In many cases, we are surprised by certain popularity that we assumed to be absent. Undertale is more famous than sales indicates.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
This was always a dumb argument, the Dragonborn is super recognizable, as is Steve.

Also as an aside, I wish all fanbases were like this one, yes it would have been cool if we got a full character, but it's still really cool to have something.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
It's unfortunate that the Dragonborn ran right into an imperial ambush while trying to cross the border.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Assuming if Dragonborn was confirmed playable, what is a 2nd rep from the Elder Scrolls series would you have liked to see? What is an Assist Trophy would you have liked?

For my picks, I would have loved Serana as a 2nd Elder Scrolls rep. She'd heavily rely on projectiles and range attacks similar to Robin and Richter. For an assist, a Dragon Priest, Lydia or Draugr Deathlord would be neat.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If I were going for a second rep I'd probably choose Sheogorath myself! He's have a lot of personality, I'd LOVE to see some hilarious Wabbajack antics, and and he also acts as a double-rep, the newest incarnation being what the Grand Champion of Cyrodiil (Oblivion's protagonist) became! Someone like Neloth would also be super fun, being both another mage character and representing Morrowind, alongside the Dragonborn DLC.

As for an assist, Martin Septim appearing and becoming the Avatar of Akatosh would be incredible, though he'd end up sharing a lot of real estate with Rathalos.

Last edited:

DynoStretch

Smash Cadet
For my picks, I would have loved Serana as a 2nd Elder Scrolls rep. She'd heavily rely on projectiles and range attacks similar to Robin and Richter.
Excellent taste you got there.

As for an AT, I'd say Miraak from the other DLC expansion 'Dragonborn'. He'd use his staff to spread tentacles across the battlefield that can restrain and poison the opponents.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised that they didn't use the default Male Nord look of the Dragonborn when showcasing the Mii Costume. So I went ahead and made my own version of it! Not sure why the long hair option I used to make the Mii isn't showing up on the fighter model, but I'm glad that I'm able to play as the Dragonborn (even if it's a Mii) in Smash!

IMG_5386.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG
IMG_5392.JPG

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Assuming if Dragonborn was confirmed playable, what is a 2nd rep from the Elder Scrolls series would you have liked to see? What is an Assist Trophy would you have liked?

For my picks, I would have loved Serana as a 2nd Elder Scrolls rep. She'd heavily rely on projectiles and range attacks similar to Robin and Richter. For an assist, a Dragon Priest, Lydia or Draugr Deathlord would be neat.
I was just thinking about this. I also feel that Serana is a pretty good choice. She’s easily Skyrim’s most well-developed character and having a Vampire with ice and blood magic would be pretty awesome. The Nerevarine would be cool if they went for something outside of Skyrim. Morrowind is often considered the game that really put Elder Scrolls on the map and was a huge step in the Western RPG genre.

While TES VI is still a good 4-6 years away, we do have some good reason to believe that it will be taking place in either High Hock or Hammerfell with the latter seeming more likely. Honestly, either one could give us a cool protagonist and an awesome Smash character, but I’d personally take a Redguard dual-wielding scimitars in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom