• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is hope for playable western-made third-party characters

Quillion

Smash Hero
Western Characters I truly hope make the leap:

-Crash Bandicoot (Activision)
-Spyro the Dragon (Activision)
-Rayman (Ubisoft)
-Ezio (Ubisoft)
-Steve (Microsoft)
-Master Chief (Microsoft)
-Vaultboy (Bethesda)
-Scorpion (NetherRealm)

Looser definition:
-Sora (Disney)
-Lara Croft (Square Enix)
That's a good list. Especially since we know that Microsoft characters are eligible, our horizons for western guests have grown.

Here's something I wonder: would GTA protagonists work in a similar manner to DQ Hero? I don't really see the GTA protagonists as unique ability-wise, and GTA is one of the biggest franchises right now.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Now that Banjo-Kazooie are in, the only Western-made characters I want are Steve...and the Creeper if possible, but mostly Steve; also Sans & Papyrus. Conker would be cool, though.

Otherwise I just want Nintendo characters, though Tails and Shadow would be cool, and the Slime and Black Mage seem cool too.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
So it looks like the Fighter's Pass character directly following Banjo is a Japan-made character. One who got overshadowed by a freaking Mii costume at that.

Kinda makes me worried for the future of west-made characters if they will be a rare deal. And what other companies can they even draw from if they're still focusing on Japanese characters? The only one I can name off the top of my head is ArcSys.

D

Deleted member

I strongly believe that Doomguy and Crash Bandicoot could equally happen for the DLC that is to come, including fighter 5 and the non-pass DLC.

Doh I also expected surprising reveals at the level of SNK to potentially happen again.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
A new fighters pass means Chief has a third chance in Ultimate.

Really hoping this is the one. With Banjo & Kazooie in the game that means Nintendo already has good relations with Microsoft.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So not only do we get Cuphead, another indie title coming with a song, but we get Assassin's Creed, a AAA western franchise, albeit both as Mii Costumes.

I think this is a sign that more western characters could be in the next Smash, but Banjo aside, won't have a chance this game.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Dragonborn and Scorpion are really the last third party I support and I feel great about it. I just want to move on from this.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
It's probably been said before, but Sakurai seems too comfortable with Japanese content that he's not willing to move beyond that.

It also means that Nintendo's own Non-Japanese properties suffer because of it, like Gumshoe and Startropics.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I strongly believe we are at the least going to get Crash before the DLC is all wrapped up and maybe, just MAYBE Rayman if we are lucky.

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
I still am feeling Steve and Crash.

After some recent Bethesda talks, it seems like Slayer may be out. They said they had no knowledge of him being in, though they could be lying.

Regardless, it seems foolish to not go for these 3. Crash was up there with Sonic and Mario and would make for the perfect last console mascot rival character. Steve is from the highest selling game of all time, a true global phenomenon. It is clear that Nintendo and Microsoft started their public friendship with Minecraft, so why not end it with Minecraft. Minecraft is huge in all territories and would be so unique with building and survival mechanics implemented. With Sakurai already loving the series, I feel Minecraft has to happen at some point.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I think there's a few intersecting issues for why there's very little presence of Western characters in Smash that don't just come down to dev bias.

- The most popular Western video games are first person shooters which don't typically have iconic characters (Halo a key exception) and licensed sports games. While there are smaller IPs by western develops with recognizable characters, they are definitely more limited.
- Third party company support from Western devs on Nintendo platforms has been minimal until the past few years, with the exception of Ubisoft. Bethesda and Blizzard hadn't put games on Nintendo platforms for years until the Switch, and EA is still giving the Switch the cold shoulder.
You got doomguy and Duke Nukem

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still am feeling Steve and Crash.

After some recent Bethesda talks, it seems like Slayer may be out. They said they had no knowledge of him being in, though they could be lying.

Regardless, it seems foolish to not go for these 3. Crash was up there with Sonic and Mario and would make for the perfect last console mascot rival character. Steve is from the highest selling game of all time, a true global phenomenon. It is clear that Nintendo and Microsoft started their public friendship with Minecraft, so why not end it with Minecraft. Minecraft is huge in all territories and would be so unique with building and survival mechanics implemented. With Sakurai already loving the series, I feel Minecraft has to happen at some point.
That is true but I feel like Master Chief would have more of a impact if he get's announced especially if he is Ultimate's last newcomer. The Xbox mascot being in Smash alongside Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, ect? That certainly would be HUGE and I feel like Chief is the only other character left besides Sora that would break the Internet in a big way in terms of gaming characters getting into Smash. Though I prefer Chief, I wouldn't mind if Steve makes it in over him since I already got Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's probably been said before, but Sakurai seems too comfortable with Japanese content that he's not willing to move beyond that.

It also means that Nintendo's own Non-Japanese properties suffer because of it, like Gumshoe and Startropics.
I think it moreso has to do with the language barrier than conformity. Wasn't this a bit of a problem with getting Banjo?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it moreso has to do with the language barrier than conformity. Wasn't this a bit of a problem with getting Banjo?
I don't know about now, but back during Melee it was. There was suppose to be Rare trophies in Melee including a Banjo & Kazooie trophy but due to the language barrier and Rare being all the way on the other side of the world in Britain they weren't able to secure the rights for the trophies in time.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With the success of the N. Sane Trilogy and CTR Nitro-Fueled, it seems like Crash has been in the best spot for Smash that he's been in years (especially what with Crash 4 coming out in October).
However, Crash 4 is not coming to the Switch.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm happy Steve made it, it helps the possibility of more western reps, but I'm not impressed, really.

Khao

Smash Lord
I find it ironic that our first two western guests are both from a direct competitor to Nintendo, the same one at that.
Also neither of them was created by said competitor, but rather purchased well after they found success.

It sends a pretty clear message, if you want your characters in Smash, make sure to sell them to Microsoft.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Western-made third-party characters, huh? These are the ones I wouldn't mind seeing in Smash.

Crash Bandicoot
Cuphead
Doomguy
Fortnite character (4 males + 4 females) - Jonesy / Ramirez / Carlos / Banshee / Hector / Rio / Mansu / Emmy
Lara Croft
Rayman
Scorpion and Sub-Zero (my most-wanted third-party characters)
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Sims (because why not?)
Spyro
Tetris
World of Warcraft character - maybe the dwarf in this box art?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Also neither of them was created by said competitor, but rather purchased well after they found success.

It sends a pretty clear message, if you want your characters in Smash, make sure to sell them to Microsoft.
Now that I think about it, does this mean Dragonborn or ES6 MC will be in?

Quillion

Smash Hero
It seems Activision is the frontrunner when it comes to western characters in Smash at this point. Not only is there Crash and Spyro, but they've got Tracer since recent pups aren't off the table.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
crash is one my last remaining wants other then the announcement of pass 3 at this years e3

UserKev

Smash Champion
Its frustrating because Western third parties have way more to offer. Japanese third parties are getting stale.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Western third-party characters I'd love to see in smash?

1. Shantae
2. Shovel Knight
3. Kratos
4. Doom Slayer
5. Scorpion (not this game though; i think there's enough new fighting game characters)
6. Crash Bandicoot
7. Spyro
8. Ratchet and Clank
9. Jak and Daxter
10. Sly Cooper
11. master chief
12. Commander Shephard
13. Rayman
14. Vault boy
15. The Sims (might as well since they already threw Minecraft into the mix)

there's a lot of iconic western characters that have been overlooked. Not surprising considering the minds behind smash are based in Japan.

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
What’s really crazy is how I don’t really want western characters in the game, but Joker’s reveal has set up an ungodly standard for the character choices that it almost seems possible for Steve and Tracer to show up.
Nice

UserKev

Smash Champion
How so? Japanese companies have started to innovate in good ways since mid-8th gen. If anything, western companies are just pumping out cookie-cutter open world games lately.
I meant in terms of legacy. Look at Blackwolf's list for summary. Crash Bandicoot, Scorpion, Rayman, Conker, etc are way more fresher than I bet what fighter pass 11 will bring.

Top Bottom