• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is hope for playable western-made third-party characters

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
I meant in terms of legacy. Look at Blackwolf's list for summary. Crash Bandicoot, Scorpion, Rayman, Conker, etc are way more fresher than I bet what fighter pass 11 will bring.
To be fair, a lot of legacy western characters are animal platformer characters. I personally find the platform characters very boring. There is a reason why Scrimblo Bimblo is a meme. Scorpion sounds cool, but it would mean putting in another fighting game character, which has gotten quite stale.

UserKev

Smash Champion
To be fair, a lot of legacy western characters are animal platformer characters. I personally find the platform characters very boring. There is a reason why Scrimblo Bimblo is a meme. Scorpion sounds cool, but it would mean putting in another fighting game character, which has gotten quite stale.
All I'm saying is, give me a list summary of hype worthy Japanese third party characters for Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
List them anyway, dude. I really want to get your optimism.
This won't be a long list, but here we go. This list will also include potential echoes alongside the full characters as well as potential Assist Trophy promotions.

Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow, Yu Narukami, Jeanne, Terra Branford, Heihachi Mishima, Chun-Li, Alucard, Big Boss, Zero, Proto Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Haohmaru.

For newcomer franchises, the only ones I can think of are:

Lloyd Irving (Tales), Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear), Dante (Devil May Cry), Bomberman, 2B (Drakengard/Nier).

UserKev

Smash Champion
This won't be a long list, but here we go. This list will also include potential echoes alongside the full characters as well as potential Assist Trophy promotions.

Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Shadow, Yu Narukami, Jeanne, Terra Branford, Heihachi Mishima, Chun-Li, Alucard, Big Boss, Zero, Proto Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Haohmaru.

For newcomer franchises, the only ones I can think of are:

Lloyd Irving (Tales), Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear), Dante (Devil May Cry), Bomberman, 2B (Drakengard/Nier).
Fair list. Alucard has amazing hype. Knuckles is a personal S tier for me and Ms. Pac-Man would be interesting. Big Boss is overdo.

Looks like you missed Travis, who would be amazing hype in his own right. Also, why not Professor Layton? Seems he's underrated.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Everyone here seems to be pushing for Crash, which I agree with.

But knowing Activision, I have the feeling they might want to push for one of their newer kids, like Tracer.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Knowing Activision-Blizzard...

Activision-Blizzard: "ah, hello Sakurai! I take it you're scouting for potential Smash character ideas?"

Sakurai: nods

Activision-Blizzard: "omgomgomgyay. wait here i'll show you some of our highlights." bolts out the room; bolts back in with a bunch of figurines "This is Diablo from the Diablo series; he's one of our oldest and most-well-known characters to hardcore american gamers. We don't ship the game without his mug on the box. And he'd pair nicely with the whole Villain motif Smash Ultimate has going on! I mean, with Diablo 4's coming out at some point, his inclusion might make for good brand synergy..."

Sakurai: "eh..."

Activision-Blizzard: "No? too scary-looking? fair enough, moving on... Ah, Overwatch! of course! There's plenty of beloved kid-friendly characters from this, but we personally recommend the mascot, Tracer! She's got a cute british accent, old enough to be sexualized by the adult smash bros fans without giving the boys down at the FBI a migraine. Plus, she's even canonically a lesbian, which I hear is a demographic that'd take quite nicely to the Super Smash Bros portfolio!"

Tracer: "Cheers, luv! The cavalry's 'ere! ^w^"

Sakurai: "Yeah, Tracer could be a good pi--"

Mei, collecting dust out of the corner of the room, weakly: "f-free hong kong"

Sakurai: "HOLY **** WHAT IS THAT? 👀" rushes over to check out Mei

Activision-Blizzard, internally panicking: oh no, not this again!

Activision-Blizzard: "oh, th-that? that's n-nobody important, I assure you. just a m-minor character; probably not even recognizable to the average smash player--"

Sakurai, brushing the dust off of Mei: "There's not a lot of Ice-based attacks in Super Smash Brothers; only Ice Climbers specialize in this element! Is this scientist woman LGBT+ as well?"

Activision-Blizzard: "W-Well we haven't c-confirmed or deconfirmed a-anything, b-but fans sometimes headcanon her as--"

Mei, enthusiastically chirping with renewed strength but fumbling her words a bit: "Fried Honk Honk! ^w^"

Activision-Blizzard: deathglares at Mei from behind Sakurai's shoulder

Sakurai, : "'aven't the foggiest what that's from. That a Fortnite reference?"

Mei: mAkEs A fRoZeN ReFeReNcE

Sakurai: "A meme-spouting ice-shooting ecoscientist! I'll take your entire stock!" holds up a comically-large bucket full of money

Activision-Blizzard: resigned sigh "fine..." (we're gonna get an earful from Xi about this, aren't we?)

Tracer, whispering smugly in Acti-Blizz's ear: "lmao be grateful that Sakurai didn't ask you bootlickers about the Warcraft department"

Smash-cut to a sealed metal vault door plastered with Long-time nuclear waste warning messages. Elephant's Foot can be seen oozing out of large cracks in the metal doorway. A small, singular wooden office door plaque saying "World of Warcraft development department" identifies the contents of the vault, with "PERMANENTLY CONDEMNED FOR 40,000 YEARS BY UNANIMOUS DECREE OF THE UNITED NATIONS" stamped onto the plaque in blood red ink.

So yeah, perhaps Crash Bandicoot or an Overwatch character.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
League of Legends Worlds 2021 starts on October 5th. The same day as the Smash Direct. Would be an epic day for Ahri in Smash :D

CP11 = fighter __ = __ Ahri

Master Chief = Mii Gunner
Crash Bandicoot = Mii brawler
Hollow Knight = Mii Sword Fighter

Quillion

Smash Hero
End of the road guys.

Ironic how our only two western third-party characters are from one of Nintendo's direct competitors.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
it looks like _ Ahri _ was just too late make it in. _ :(

Alternatively__ Ahri __ could get shadow dropped without a Mr. Sakurai Presents. just like Joker. mostly wishful thinking though.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
During my day spent watching Sora reactions, I saw that there are a lot of people wanting a Mortal Kombat character.

I guess they're not aware that Mortal Kombat is apparently very unpopular in Japan. Yeah, we got a Doomguy costume, but I don't see him getting playable since Japan apparently isn't into conventional FPS games either.

UserKev

Smash Champion
During my day spent watching Sora reactions, I saw that there are a lot of people wanting a Mortal Kombat character.

I guess they're not aware that Mortal Kombat is apparently very unpopular in Japan. Yeah, we got a Doomguy costume, but I don't see him getting playable since Japan apparently isn't into conventional FPS games either.
Eh, Scorpion and Ridley will be parallels and the Western request is what will get him in. Support for Mortal Kombat representation has just about established, I'd put Scorpion in D-C tier in terms of likeliness. Scorpion will get in at some point depending on the sheer demand, but it will take a long time. Ed is already down so that makes Scorpion's chances a bit easier.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
When it comes to the western gaming market it focuses less on iconic characters and more on Character creation or generic realistic people!
Most iconic western chars are indies or in other media!

Quillion

Smash Hero
When it comes to the western gaming market it focuses less on iconic characters and more on Character creation or generic realistic people!
Most iconic western chars are indies or in other media!
Master Chief? Kratos? Crash Bandicoot? Doomguy?

Top Bottom