• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There is hope for Jigglypuff

aidethepally

Smash Rookie
Hallo.

It's been a long time since I've bothered putting anything up on the boards... I don't remember the password to my old account, nor the email attached to the account so I can't get a password sent to me... anyway.

I've been around since the original Smash, and was always an adamant DK player. I used to be active on the DK forums. When the Japanese version was released, I managed to get my hands on it, and within a few days I had discovered the Cargo to Stage Spike. To this day I'll argue that I was the first to discover stage spiking, at least the first to post anything about it on the forums.

Needless to say, I have an unsung reputation on these boards, not because of that one tech I discovered, but because I've managed to become a pretty good player with just about any and all of the characters in Brawl, thanks to the dedication and work put in by the Smashboards community. I think of this place as a give-and-take relationship. Give your opinions and strategies, but take the criticism. This comment brings me to point 1 of 2 in my article today:

1) STOP BICKERING.

I've noticed that some of you just can't stop tearing at each other's throats over silly little things. I think it's great Dina started another Guide while Alex is gone; she gave him credit where it was deserved, and she's right, it needed (and still needs) updated.

I even read in one of the threads that some of you were considering a "back room discussion?" Wow. Honestly, I didn't think there was any way we could hinder a character's development any more than arguing on the forums... looks like I was proven wrong with your, "back room" idea. It's bad, fyi. Just saying.

I am currently stationed in Hawaii (Air Force,) and loving it here. There is a great gaming community called, very simply, Smash Bros Hawaii. I recently learned of their existence, and attended a tournament just a few days ago. Of course, I used DK, and was better than about half of the people there. I knew a lot about the characters, such as MetaKnight's rapeage and the, "Don't get grabbed" rule for the Ice Climbers. I knew my techs. I had everything pretty much perfected. Problem was, so did they. Yes, a MetaKnight won the tournament, but before the games ended, I played some practice games for a few hours.

Now, I should mention that I have practiced with just about every character fairly thoroughly. I scour the threads here for new techniques and tricks, and then put them to use whenever I get the chance (I normally pick "random," so if it comes up, it comes up.) At this point I had used Jigglypuff enough to do drill resting, spacing pretty well, etc.

So I'm at this tournament, and I just lost my second match, about to practice for a few hours, when Jigglypuff comes up as my character. It was a free for all, four player match... and I *****. One of the members even commented that I played the toughest Jiggly he's ever played against. So, I just kept using Jiggly instead of Random.

Soon, we were doing one-on-ones to see who could beat my Jigglypuff. The finalists were still in the competition, so I didn't get a chance to play them, but I did successfully beat every single person there with their mains, vs my Jiggly. There were approximately 20 people there, so I beat about 16 people.

Which brings me to point 2 of 2.

2) JIGGLYPUFF DOES NOT SUCK.

The key is not knowing how to play your own character. I am fully convinced that I was able to beat those higher-end players because I knew what strategies they were going to use.

Think of it like a game of Texas Hold'em. A professional vs a professional is a tough matchup, because produde1 reads produde2's bet from a professional standpoint. Produde2 has gone all-in. What does produde1 think? Well, obviously, produde2 must have a good hand, and based on him going all-in, produde1 SHOULD be able to deduce the different possible hands produde2 has.

But what if he's bluffing? What if he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING? This is always a possibility, because produde2 is hiding his poker face well.

You're probably lost on the analogy, so let me simplify it by changing the scenario slightly. Now, it's produde1 playing against a complete noob. This noob has no idea how to bet. He isn't entirely sure what he's got in his hand is a good thing or a bad thing, but he goes all-in anyway.

NOW, produde1 is in a pickle. He can't read the noob. Sure, he could deduce what kind of a hand the noob could possibly have, having gone all in, but the noob doesn't know what he's doing! The noob could have the best hand in the game, and not know it, or vice versa. How does a professional poker player play against a noob?

THIS is how I play Brawl. No, I don't pretend to be a noob, don't get that idea. I just pretend that the other player is a professional at their character (because at tournaments, most of the time, they are.) I pretend that they know the best combo's for their mains, and they plan on using them. Not only do I know their combo's, but it's likely I've played against a Jigglypuff before as their mains, so I know THEY know Jiggly's weak spots. I simply avoid giving them those weak spots.

You know what I did when someone fought me with a professional Game and Watch? I rolled. Over and over and over. Bairs can't touch rolls. As soon as G&W was in the air, I was on the ground. That's right, I played a ground game against him. He did NOT see it coming. Why? Because he assumed I was produde2. He assumed I would never do anything drastic, like going all-in on a nothing hand. One stock later, he thought he had me figured out, and stopped Bairing so much. A G&W that hardly Bairs = win for Jigglypuff. A second stock later, he was scratching his head. By the time he figured out what I was doing, he realized, there WASN'T figuring out what I was doing. One stock I'm bluffing, another stock I'm showing a straight flush.

I did this to EVERY PLAYER. And it was easy, because I knew every character's weaknesses and combination vs Jiggly. I just never gave them the opportunity. Oh sure, some games came close... I played a real nasty Yoshi, his Bair and never-ending shield and egg bombs were difficult to beat. If it wasn't for my expertise in Yoshi's best grabbing techniques (and thusly knowing how to punish him for trying it,) I would have been slaughtered.

Am I making any sense? The game isn't about the characters anymore, it's about figuring out the player. See what move he uses often his first stock, but DON'T ASSUME HE'LL KEEP THE SAME STYLE. He will adapt quickly to your spacing.

I am by NO MEANS A PROFESSIONAL JIGGLYPUFF PLAYER. I've seen some videos on YouTube by you guys, and you all have the metagame Jiggly figured out. My suggestion to you is to learn the noob stuff all over again. Make your opponent adapt to a professional fighting style for one stock, then give him a whole 'nother strategy/combo the next. Example, don't use Fair at all one stock, but stale the crap out of it the second to set up other combos.

And if this doesn't convince you... just think, what would YOU do? What would you do if you were playing your secondary (for example, MetaKnight,) and the Jiggly you were fighting spent most of her first stock Fairing you? You'd probably think this player didn't have much of an idea about stales, and you'd try to punish her for the Fairs. Suddenly, she's not Fairing anymore; you thought you could just shield the Fair and attack, but now she's fast fall Nairing and grabbing you!

Some will argue that you should incorporate all of these into your game at once. If you can do that, that's great. But I will argue that learning all of the great Jigglypuff tricks will not save you against a G&W. You have to adapt to what HE is going to do to YOU, and punish accordingly.

Long story short... learn all of the character's strengths. Learn what the professional Link's and DDD's are being taught to use and not use, and expect them to use those strategies. Then, build on it. The Jigglypuff metagame is done, we've learned everything we can about her. Now we just need to beat all of the other character's best metagaming techniques.

That's all I have for now. I'll hopefully be putting up videos of my Jigglypuff in the future, whenever there are more tournaments.

By the way- I am officially a Jigglypuff main.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I agree with everything you wrote. Well said. I'm still updating and working on the new Jigglypuff guide, it's just im in my senior year of getting my bachelors plus I have a guy in my life so it's been rather time consuming.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Wow, awesome post. I really like what you put here.

One thing, though. Isn't the strategy you put here kinda general? Don't get me wrong, I think it's an excellent strategy. I love how it harnesses the unreadability of a n00b. But shouldn't everyone do this? I'm not sure how it applies specifically to Jiggs?

However, if you meant it like this or not, this is what I got out of it:

When playing a match, if you have a matchup advantage over your opponent, you should be looking at how to punish your opponent. Since you have the advantage, there must be some aspect of the matchup that would make it fairly easy to attack your opponent. You can take advantage of these tools to beat your opponent.

but when the matchup is not in your favor, you should be focusing on how your opponent will be punishing YOU. You should change up your style to keep your opponent guessing, you should assume he knows all the weaknesses of your character, and play in the way outlined in your post.

Therefore, since Jigglypuff has only one matchup that can be argued to be in her favor, a Jigglypuff player should adopt this strategy.

aidethepally

Smash Rookie
Thank you, Jiggernaut, for summarizing the beat of a post in a way I couldn't.

"Therefore, since Jigglypuff has only one matchup that can be argued to be in her favor, a Jigglypuff should adopt this strategy."

This strategy is, ladies and gentleman, is to focus on your opponents and how they plan to punish you. "You should change up your style to keep your opponent guessing, you should assume he knows all the weaknesses of your character."

Such a strategy works because chars like Metaknight can't use it.

LOOOOOOOONG story short: Look at the Matchup board for each other character and see what pros are training to gimp on you using what. Don't give them that opportunity. It's funny to watch them try and develop other techniques, ones that Jiggles can punish hardcore.

GeneralWoodman

Smash Lord
if produde 1 is a roll spammer, then the mindset of produde2 is quickly changed to scrubdude vs produde. if all you do is roll, then all the game and watch will do is smash. And plz name these produdes you have been playing :)
this seems like something that should be put in a user blog. you put no specific strategy regarding jigglypuff and reasoning is similar to that of Yugi from Yu-Gi-Oh with the heart of the cards bull ****. Characters will outclass characters and players will outclass players. If you want to influence people or inform people, plz include more specific details on these ppl, ATs and strategies. And lol @ dodge rolling, after playing basic brawl for hours on end, im extremely confident that scrub tactics will be over shadowed in competitive play.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
im comparison to everyone else, jiggs kinda does suck. but it smash, so even the sucky can pull one out now and then

Top Bottom