• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
It's not much, but I finally made Elite with Link and it really helped improve my playstyle working my way up. I have started using bomba more and better.

My main weak spot is edgeguarding.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Because my Life hit a bump on the road i haven't got myself a switch yet. but now that Ultimate has been out for two months, how does eveyone feel about the new BOTW Link compared to the OOT adult Link and TP Link

Last edited:

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Because my Life hit a bump on the road i haven't got myself a switch yet. but now that Ultimate has been out for two months, how does eveyone feel about the new BOTW Link compared to the OOT adult Link and TP Link
I like both link because of bomb. I think oot link has more natural movement setups and flow though.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
It took me a long time to get used to Link's new bomb and then to incorporate it into my play. I've started using it more and it is great for edgeguarding and for catching people off guard. I miss how oppressive the other bombs can be though.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I decided to main YL. Link feels too sluggish and I wanted a more technical character.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I decided to main YL. Link feels too sluggish and I wanted a more technical character.
He really is sluggish, but I feel like it is a reference to BotW where he is more sneaky/slow than in other games. Once I learnt to take my time with Link in this game, he clicked a lot more for me.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Uh, Link is actually faster in this game. In BotW, he wasn't slower than previous Links. They all move at the same speed, but in BotW you have more options to boost your running speed.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Uh, Link is actually faster in this game. In BotW, he wasn't slower than previous Links. They all move at the same speed, but in BotW you have more options to boost your running speed.
Compared to Tink and Yink, he is slower, that's what we mean, and as a heavy, his frame data isn't that great in general.

I wasn't actually talking about his run speed in BotW. I meant more how the game itself handles Link and the world around it. It is a slower game than any other 3D Zelda I feel. It is calmer.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Compared to other two, he is absolutely slower. I was making the comparison with his Smash 4 self.

I still think that his sluggishness being a reference to BotW is too much of a stretch though.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Link's frame data is slower than SSB4 but his mobility's faster, like all characters.
In taking a quick look at his stats, I can say that this is true. Several of his ground attacks have more startup and ending lag. Only the ending of his aerials are truly faster but then again this is something true for most of the veterans.

Your daily dose of epicness:
I like the new Link very much, it's true that he's a bit sluggish on the ground but his projectiles and fast aerials help balance it out.

The returning hitbox on the boomerang is quite useful. It helps to keep the pressure constant, it can also get you out of a grab or a combo sometimes.

I find the double arrow shot very situational (and a bit hard to pull off consistently) but throwing the picked up arrow can be a combo starter (plus it got the element of surprise since people tend to forget about it).

The new grab is really quick and a lot less punishable, can't say it's better but i don't think it's worse, it's just different imo.

I'm still in love with the new bombs, as i stated many times before, having a projectile with decent knockback really changes the way Link plays (compare the past OoT and TP Link). It's a very polyvalent tool, it's a bit like Snake's arsenal but all in one: it can put pressure like a grenade (since you can throw it around), it allows mind games and stage control like the C4 (since it's remotely detonated) and it can be used as a kill option like the Nikita (mostly offstage). Obviously, Snake's tools are way more efficient at their specific job since he must rely on them a lot more. Link, on the other hand, doesn't need the bomb to win but it's certainly useful.

He's definitely different from the previous versions so it's possible you won't like the changes, depends on what style of play you prefer i guess.

And btw, i hope things will get better for you.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hurt my wrists and wasn't able to play smash last week. I reeeeally don't want to get carpel tunnel syndrome and am resting them but it's boring. Anyone know some good Netflix comedies? I like things like Parks and Recreation, Cheers, Fraiser, etc.

ps
I have a theory 85% of Netflix is c***.

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
Next smash game is probs coming 2023 or 2024

So got to make noice about the first unique zelda newcomer since 2001 in 2020 and 2021 before the roster is picked

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
A friend of mine and I got into a debate trying to classify each character in the game as a pokemon type (or dual type). We were both stumped on Link. What pokemon type do you all think Link would be?

Rizen

Smash Legend
A friend of mine and I got into a debate trying to classify each character in the game as a pokemon type (or dual type). We were both stumped on Link. What pokemon type do you all think Link would be?
Steel* and something, maybe normal or fairy.
*He has a sword and shield.

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Earth fairy if OoT.

Flying normal in SS.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Been playing lots of Young Link and Adult Responsibilities Link, but I think I'm going to be solely playing Adult boi moving forward.

I love the remote bombs so much.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I was thinking about Link and Young Link and I now see that Young Link was the original Link and Link was only introduced in OoT. That means that Young Link is the true Link and Link is just an older version of Young Link.

micahismyname

Smash Rookie
NNID
micahismyname
I play adult link because I can't think hard enough for kill setups so I need the one with more knockback to casually get kills with my normal approaches.

Ylink and Tink feel great at the start of the match but I start to get a little frustrated when my opponent is at 300% and I still can't get a kill.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Young Link can kill by using combo's started by his projectiles. Though he is not good at killing IMO.

Last edited:
Ylink and Tink feel great at the start of the match but I start to get a little frustrated when my opponent is at 300% and I still can't get a kill.
I've been playing Toon Link recently, back throw is a good/easy to execute kill option. It kills around 150% at the ledge (roughly), it's pretty useful when you struggle to take your opponent's stock.

To my knowledge, you can also combo bomb into up-air/f-air for kill confirm but it's a bit tricky. I find Young Link fire arrows way more reliable for this kind of stuff.

Speaking of YLink, Rizen Rizen made a pretty sick 'guide' here: https://smashboards.com/threads/young-link-metagame-thread.467398/ if you're looking to get better at comboing and such, i definitely recommend checking it out.

I've been playing Toon Link recently, back throw is a good/easy to execute kill option. It kills around 150% at the ledge (roughly), it's pretty useful when you struggle to take your opponent's stock.

To my knowledge, you can also combo bomb into up-air/f-air for kill confirm but it's a bit tricky. I find Young Link fire arrows way more reliable for this kind of stuff.

Speaking of YLink, Rizen Rizen made a pretty sick 'guide' here: https://smashboards.com/threads/young-link-metagame-thread.467398/ if you're looking to get better at comboing and such, i definitely recommend checking it out.
The big thing with TL's bombs is that the trajectory changes a lot depending on percent and how close you are when you hit someone. If you're going for bomb -> f-air, you have to be careful because you could make the knockback go backwards as you rush in to jump. Boomerang -> bomb -> up-air is fairly reliable, though.

Grounded up-B is another good kill option if you know you're going to land it. It's TL's fastest kill move in terms of start-up (frame 6).

I do find it interesting that you find fire arrows more reliable. They only true combo into things at really specific percents, heights, and momentum. A lot of people just let it happen, but they could get out of it if they buffered air-dodge. Unless I'm missing something with the execution, which is entirely possible.

Boomerang -> bomb -> up-air is fairly reliable, though.
I didn't know about that, it should be very helpful, thx a lot.

Grounded up-B is another good kill option if you know you're going to land it. It's TL's fastest kill move in terms of start-up (frame 6).
I'm just starting to use it more, it's very good indeed. Works well as an out-of-shield option so far, also pretty good tech-chase tool to catch rolls.

I do find it interesting that you find fire arrows more reliable. They only true combo into things at really specific percents, heights, and momentum. A lot of people just let it happen, but they could get out of it if they buffered air-dodge. Unless I'm missing something with the execution, which is entirely possible.
I've only played a bit on Quickplay with YLink, so pretty casually, it's very possible that most of my opponents just 'let it happen' as you said, even if the combos weren't true. But yeah basically, i just find it easier to hit an opponent with the fire arrows*, more successful hits means more opportunities to 'fish' for a f-air/up-air (since i don't know all the specific percents, heights and momentums needed to initiate a true combo, i just shoot and try a f-air/up-air).

*I'm always surprised how fast they come out, one of the best projectiles in the game imo.

Last edited:
I've only played a bit on Quickplay with YLink, so pretty casually, it's very possible that most of my opponents just 'let it happen' as you said, even if the combos weren't true. But yeah basically, i just find it easier to hit an opponent with the fire arrows*, more successful hits means more opportunities to 'fish' for a f-air/up-air (since i don't know all the specific percents, heights and momentums needed to initiate a true combo, i just shoot and try a f-air/up-air).

*I'm always surprised how fast they come out, one of the best projectiles in the game imo.
Yeah, his arrows are really good, and they're probably even better online. I don't have any real online experience, so it's a little foreign to me.

I think I made it sound like they're easy to get out of, but it's actually pretty tight. I want to say there's something as short as a three frame window for some things, so they would have to anticipate and buffer the air dodge. And that potentially leaves them open for something else if they're wrong. Most people probably wouldn't even think to try, especially since the fire damage animation lasts longer than the hitstun. I spend a lot of time labbing, so some of that stuff that works better in practice than on paper confuses me more than it should.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm thinking of using Link as a secondary to my YL for MUs like Ness and Wario or to mix things up. YL is so technical he can be stressful to play. Secondaries are generally a good idea no matter what character(s) you use.

Marvel's Endgame movie was really good. If you like superhero movies at all I recommend it but you have to see Infinity War first.

Mario Maker 2 looks fun. I might get it primarily as a course designer.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Entered my first Ultimate tournament today, and managed to meet my goal - win a set xD then lost to a Ganon who made it to 3rd place.

Really gotta lab more of Link's combo game because I think that's where I'm weakest.

Rizen

Smash Legend
How do you guys approach with Link? I'm having a terrible time in MUs where I can't force approaches due to being out-zoned like Falco and Olimar. Link's really good when playing defensive but offensively he seems to have a lot of trouble.

How do you guys approach with Link? I'm having a terrible time in MUs where I can't force approaches due to being out-zoned like Falco and Olimar. Link's really good when playing defensive but offensively he seems to have a lot of trouble.
For me, it's a combination of things (obviously) but i use fast fall Nairs a lot. Fast fall nair into grab, jab, d-tilt etc. There's a few possibilities of true combos from Nair (i don't remember all of them but there's probably a video about it in the Meta thread).

I don't know much about move priority and stuff but in practice, Link's Nair seems to take priority over a bunch of attacks. From what i've seen, you can basically kick your way through almost anything.

Last edited:

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Nair and Boomerang are the best tools. Nair to grab or Nair to other aerials are what I try to use a lot.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
So how's everyone holding up against the onslaught of Banjos?

So how's everyone holding up against the onslaught of Banjos?
Personally i was struggling a bit at first but it got better as i learned the matchup. The side-b (wonderwing) is really dangerous especially when using projectiles, Banjo can basically tank through anything and reach Link while he's still in endlag (plus it can kill pretty early). So yeah, using projectiles at close/mid-range is always risky against Banjo.

Also, after a while, i realized that a lot of Banjo's attacks seem to have high priorities so it's better not to challenge them. I'm still wondering if it is because Kazooie is considered 'a weapon' for some attacks... (does she have a hurtbox?). Anyway, it feels like some attacks involving Kazooie are disjointed but i'm still not sure.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Personally i was struggling a bit at first but it got better as i learned the matchup. The side-b (wonderwing) is really dangerous especially when using projectiles, Banjo can basically tank through anything and reach Link while he's still in endlag (plus it can kill pretty early). So yeah, using projectiles at close/mid-range is always risky against Banjo.

Also, after a while, i realized that a lot of Banjo's attacks seem to have high priorities so it's better not to challenge them. I'm still wondering if it is because Kazooie is considered 'a weapon' for some attacks... (does she have a hurtbox?). Anyway, it feels like some attacks involving Kazooie are disjointed but i'm still not sure.
Yeah Kazooie counts as a disjoint except for during the running animation.

I've been playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 too much and have to give my wrists a break so I don't injure them. It's really addictive. I've also been going to smash bros things every tues and Thursday.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog

Yeah, Wonderwing is like a superior version of Flare Blitz - less visual signal (I think), fast, and invicible. Banjo+Kazooie hits hard and Surprisingly fast. In fact they're fairly fast and quick for a heavy it seems. I've learned a lot of Banjos seem to be a fan of trying to "surprise" us by WWing back onto stage to counter any edgeguarding we do. I just learned to shield and play safer unless they're out of gold feathers, which they like to burn through.
But no WW means a worse recovery for them.
I do think we can Juggle them pretty hard though from what I've seen.

I've learned a lot of Banjos seem to be a fan of trying to "surprise" us by WWing back onto stage to counter any edgeguarding we do.
I've also noticed that, makes it fairly easy to 'bait' them into using Wonderwing while recovering. Just chillin' on the ledge is usually enough of a bait.

I just learned to shield and play safer unless they're out of gold feathers, which they like to burn through.
There's also the riskier option of going for the grab but yeah, the timing is pretty strict with a standard grab, it's a bit hard to pull off. A tether grab would certainly be useful in this particular matchup (making :ultyounglink: or :ulttoonlink: good counterpick options against B&K imo).

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Long time, no see. I have some thoughts about Link I'd like to give at once, but I'll wait until some other time.

Most importantly, I can do bomb recoveries at the very least. Bomb loops might take a while, but I'm a lot more aware of the timing. After that, I just want to learn wavebounce Boomerang, given its useful applications when it comes to aerial follow-ups.

And n-air. Just using n-air. Especially with short hops, it's so good...

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I've also noticed that, makes it fairly easy to 'bait' them into using Wonderwing while recovering. Just chillin' on the ledge is usually enough of a bait.

There's also the riskier option of going for the grab but yeah, the timing is pretty strict with a standard grab, it's a bit hard to pull off. A tether grab would certainly be useful in this particular matchup (making :ultyounglink: or :ulttoonlink: good counterpick options against B&K imo).
Actually there's enough endlag to chase them down and grab them from behind as they wind down. Shielding or jumping over them - works either way.
Grab seems easier to do, but forward smash is more fun haha

Top Bottom