• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Does anyone know if the bomb need to have some momentum to enter Isabelle/Villager's pocket?

In other words, can an immobile item/object still be pocketed?

I would test it myself but i don't have the game yet and i have only little experience with Villager.

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
yes, she can pocket bombs that are sitting on the ground. She can just neutral B near stationary bombs, or just run over and pick it up like a normal item, then simply put it in her pocket with her neutral B once its in her hand. she can also pick it up using her bug catching net(her grab), or pick it up using her fishing pole(side B) from halfway across the stage, and the instant she hooks it the bomb can no longer be detonated.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Does anyone know if the bomb need to have some momentum to enter Isabelle/Villager's pocket?

In other words, can an immobile item/object still be pocketed?

I would test it myself but i don't have the game yet and i have only little experience with Villager.
Doesn't matter. She can pocket it stationary or moving. I mean the reality is, she can't do much with it as I don't think she can reasonably explode the bomb on you through her own means (I believe the rocket has fire properties but not certain). And even if she hits you with the bomb you're only going to take ~1%. The big thing is that she can remove your bomb from play completely until you kill her.

Last edited:
Don't forget the part where Link accidentally blows himself up with remote bombs. Every new player has to do that a few times.
:chuckle: I've died more than a few times by own remote bombs in BotW, i'm still trying to complete the game with 3 hearts only... bombs are killing me almost instantly (a stupid challenge i try to accomplish in every Zelda game... still unable to beat Thunderblight Ganon tho).

Btw are you getting a grip on the new Link? I'll buy the game (and the Switch) on Boxing Day so i'll finally get to try the new Link myself soon.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't forget the part where Link accidentally blows himself up with remote bombs. Every new player has to do that a few times.
Nah fam, I've seen this happen with EVERYONE.

1. Link stares at campfire
  2. "I wonder if that can hurt me"
  3. Walk on campfire
  4. Get burnt
  5. "Huh, neat."

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
:chuckle: I've died more than a few times by own remote bombs in BotW, i'm still trying to complete the game with 3 hearts only... bombs are killing me almost instantly (a stupid challenge i try to accomplish in every Zelda game... still unable to beat Thunderblight Ganon tho).

Btw are you getting a grip on the new Link? I'll buy the game (and the Switch) on Boxing Day so i'll finally get to try the new Link myself soon.
I dont think I could do those runs. I will say Master Mode made the game way more enjoyable overall though. I've been hearing that Skyward Sword is coming to switch which is awesome cuz I never got to play it.

Not who you asked but I like him more than I did at first. Mobility buffs helped him a TON. More focused on trap-based and sword spacing combat rather than zoning, and he's still a powerhouse. For projectiles, I've found that I've been more focused on using boomerang/arrows than bombs overall, where I'm just setting bombs down to dissuade movement options/cover platforms and play mind games with enemies. I use them a lot more at high percents as nukes since they can kill. His ground game is still kind of slow when it comes to starting frames but learning how to space can win you a lot of fights as his attacks have great range. He also has one of the fastest grabs in the game with d-throw combos so his OoS options just enhanced immensely. Aerials are still amazing. Despite being a bit difficult, bombs shenanigans are a lot of fun.

Idk, I personally think he should get some ground frame data buffs (mostly to his jab honestly) since he can't really spam like he used to (now that normal bombs are gone), and I do kind of miss those bombs, but I still think this is the best Link we've had. It's amazing how different you have to play just by changing a couple things about him.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
If I did a run like that, I probably wouldn't even be able to make it too far outside of the Great Plateau, lol.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
If I did a run like that, I probably wouldn't even be able to make it too far outside of the Great Plateau, lol.
Aye, I found Master Mode difficult enough, if fun. No need for anything worse than that.

I like the new Link, but playing handheld (I am visiting the family for Christmas) hasn't really allowed me to practise much. The controller set up really doesn't work for anything. Just a bit too awkward for my hands.

I feel his jab loses out more often than not if it comes to trading, which is wrecking me.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Yeah jab is too slow but it's got long range. I think other jabs are beatable as long as you're spaced properly. But I've never tried handheld. I feel like I couldn't deal with the awkwardness of the screen. The pro controller is very good once you get used to it. Only problem I had with it was consistent short hops but i think I'm coming along now.

Went up against a Cloud for the first time this morning... he doesnt seem as tough as I remember. Back in Smash4 I would get bodied by him. I feel like the bomb traps really messed his flow up. I wanna try him out for myself.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Yeah jab is too slow but it's got long range. I think other jabs are beatable as long as you're spaced properly. But I've never tried handheld. I feel like I couldn't deal with the awkwardness of the screen. The pro controller is very good once you get used to it. Only problem I had with it was consistent short hops but i think I'm coming along now.

Went up against a Cloud for the first time this morning... he doesnt seem as tough as I remember. Back in Smash4 I would get bodied by him. I feel like the bomb traps really messed his flow up. I wanna try him out for myself.
Aye. I use the pro controller at home, but going to switch over to the GC controller soon, although I do like the extra shoulder button.

Is there much difference betwern a wired pro and GC in terms lag?

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Aye. I use the pro controller at home, but going to switch over to the GC controller soon, although I do like the extra shoulder button.

Is there much difference betwern a wired pro and GC in terms lag?
More than likely placebo but I've personally felt that the Pro is more responsive. Only downside I've seen with the Pro honestly is the SH issue. Took me a while to get the hang of it.

I've been hearing that Skyward Sword is coming to switch which is awesome cuz I never got to play it.
It would be great, same for me i have yet to play it tho i've watched some 'let's play' videos out of curiosity. The aesthetics of the game are a little off, at least for me... but the game seems to offer some fun gameplay mechanics plus the lore is interesting imo. Do you remember if the Switch version is just a rumor or it has been confirmed?

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
It would be great, same for me i have yet to play it tho i've watched some 'let's play' videos out of curiosity. The aesthetics of the game are a little off, at least for me... but the game seems to offer some fun gameplay mechanics plus the lore is interesting imo. Do you remember if the Switch version is just a rumor or it has been confirmed?
Honestly, I forget lol I think it was just a rumor though. I wanna say they hinted at zelda games coming to the switch or something.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Aonuma said "I know what you’re waiting for – Skyward Sword for Switch. Right?” at a Nintendo event.

They then came out and denied having any plans for the port.

micahismyname

Smash Rookie
NNID
micahismyname
Haven't had the chance to play yet. Sorry if this has already been asked but are bombslides (aka Jump Cancel Throws, aka Jump Cancel Glide Toss) still a thing? That was a major part of my strategy in Sm4sh. I'll probably still play link if Ultimate regardless but it would really change my play style.
Bumping this question again because it never got answered. I assume no one's certain either way yet. But if no one has figured it out by now it's probably a no.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Started playing online for the first time. I had a sick Dair to Uair combo for a kill but I wasn't able to save the replay...my soul was crushed.

R O F L

Smash Ace
In the middle of playing BotW for my first time. Now I really wish they completely reworked Link to be like BotW Link. I would have really liked them to add his paraglider, other arrow types, and more heavily incorporate his shield.

They then came out and denied having any plans for the port.
What if we get Skyward Sword 2 :upsidedown:

In the middle of playing BotW for my first time. Now I really wish they completely reworked Link to be like BotW Link. I would have really liked them to add his paraglider, other arrow types, and more heavily incorporate his shield.
Paraglider is cool to imagine, maybe a sort of hovering mechanic like Peach or maybe more like gliding à la Brawl Meta Knight (might have been hard to balance with the rest of his moveset idk). At least he uses it in his entrance animation.

While this is some cool ideas, realistically, Link still needs to keep the majority of his moveset from the past Smash games intact or else he would be a completely different fighter, the new bombs and and grab is already a pretty big change (or just make a 4th Link at this point :p). But i like the idea, it's fun to imagine a concept like this.

You're enjoying BotW so far?

Started playing online for the first time. I had a sick Dair to Uair combo for a kill but I wasn't able to save the replay...my soul was crushed.
Too bad, is there an issue with saving replays online?

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348

What if we get Skyward Sword 2 :upsidedown:
Hahaha. I would like a SS 2.

A BotW Link basically becomes an almost Snake.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Too bad, is there an issue with saving replays online?
I forgot what button was for replays. That and the rematch window popping up immediately caught me off guard. Still not sure if / when the time to do all that is haha.

Enjoy it, BotW is fantastic. I bet if there customizable specials like Smash 4 there'd have been elemental arrows, and square bombs as options.

I'd like to see more Zelda sequels, starting with Twilight Princess.
This would be nice. A few days ago i saw someone bring up the idea of a BotW style of Zelda but in Termina instead of Hyrule, i thought it was pretty original. Revisiting Termina would be dope too imo.

A BotW Link basically becomes an almost Snake.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I mean, BotW is technically a sequel to all the timelines, so it is a sequel to TP and the rest.

I would love to see Midna again and Termina. I mean, every Zelda world really. They are all so well done.

Last edited:
I mean, BotW is technically a sequel to all the timelines, so it is a sequel to TP and the rest.

I would love to see Midna again and Termina. I mean, every Zelda world really. They are all so well done.
Agreed, but I think Rizen Rizen was talking about a 'direct' sequel like what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time or what Phantom Hourglass is to Wind Waker but nevermind, i'm not a Zelda timeline expert but i think you're right about BotW.

Hey btw, i finally bought Ultimate and a Switch on Boxing Day and i just want to say that everything in the Ganon bossfight looks absolutely great, now i really want a full remake of OoT ! I don't think it'll happen but eh... i can still dream.

Last edited:

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Agreed, but I think Rizen Rizen was talking about a 'direct' sequel like what Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of Time or what Phantom Hourglass is to Wind Waker but nevermind, i'm not a Zelda timeline expert but i think you're right about BotW.

Hey btw, i finally bought Ultimate and a Switch on Boxing Day and i just want to say that everything in the Ganon bossfight looks absolutely great, now i really want a full remake of OoT ! I don't think it'll happen but eh... i can still dream.
Oh, I know he was. Was just joking around.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I hope they use that cyber armed Link again someday. **** was cash money.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace

Dude, have you seen the Unreal Engine OoT lately? You need to if you haven't. It looks brilliant. In a way, it weirdly even looks just the way I remember it. They did an awesome job overhauling the aesthetics while completely keeping the magic.

Last edited:
Dude, have you seen the Unreal Engine OoT lately? You need to if you haven't. It looks brilliant. In a way, it weirdly even looks just the way I remember it. They did an awesome job overhauling the aesthetics while completely keeping the magic.
Right! I almost forgot about this guy, CryZENx (i'm guessing his work is what you saw) he has been working on his OoT project for years now. Seems like he's doing most of it alone. I just saw that he posted on demcember 26th, there's now a playable version of Kokiri village and Inside the Deku tree, very impressive sruff for a fan made project:
You can check everything on his youtube channel but here are the most epic pieces of his work imo:
He also did a tiny part (just a 'teaser') of A Link to the Past almost 3 years ago:

I know it's a pipe dream but i was thinking, since Nintendo remade the Kanto region/Gen I with Pokemon Let's Go maybe they're open to the idea of remaking old Zelda games... tho Pokemon is a whole other beast, something something most popular franchise in the world... but... c'mon Nintendo... please... :p

I hope they use that cyber armed Link again someday. **** was cash money.
Where..? Who...? Why...?

Is this a real thing?

Iridium

Smash Hero

More bomb recovery tips from a guy I haven't seen in a very long while.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Never been a fan of the unreal stuff. Very well done, but not very Zelda like in my mind. And unreal ages terribly.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Is it me or Link feels really tiring to play in Ultimate. Just the amount of thing you gotta pay attention, not only because of his bombs but the lag on the boomerang and is other attack to keep in mind the range at all time and think two step ahead to compensate for the lack of speed and end lag. But now the bombs requires a lot of strategy and quick thinking on top of that.

Still love Link but oof, it a real challenge for me so far.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wish there was a way to practice fighting bosses without having to go through Classic. I'm trying to beat Link's path at max difficulty but Ganon's a pain in the butt. He's the only boss who you have to hit his tail.

I wish there was a way to practice fighting bosses without having to go through Classic. I'm trying to beat Link's path at max difficulty but Ganon's a pain in the butt. He's the only boss who you have to hit his tail.
I was struggling to jump over him at first until i remembered about the directional air dodge, two jumps and one directional airdodge and you can get behind him real quick. Usually when you do this he can't attack you unless he's doing his crazy spin attack (his strongest move imo, i always shield this one, too hard to dodge). Then i usually pogo off his tail (d-air) and follow with one up-smash, rince and repeat.

Iirc you're allowed to die one time and the points you'll gain from beating Ganon will get you back at 9.9.

Top Bottom