• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social There are three of us now?! Good thing we are the true Link.

Iridium

Smash Hero
The main change for Link I hear (from the official thread on it) in the patch was the invisible bomb glitch being removed. Yes, it was a thing, somehow...

Not certain this patch really affected more than the trivial stuff and bugs.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
So how the hell do you do a turn around f tilt? It was my favorite kill option other than fair and jab canceled spin attack

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I'm unlocking a bunch of characters EXCEPT for the ones I want lol I'm very eager to try out Ganon. Hes looking real good in this game.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I'm unlocking a bunch of characters EXCEPT for the ones I want lol I'm very eager to try out Ganon. Hes looking real good in this game.
Dude's more beastly than before, I can tell you that. He feels slightly quicker in each way to me, but that's just my opinion. I know a guy who could probably confirm though.

ahem...
Lozjam Lozjam FROM THE GREAT DEPTHS OR DARKNESS, I SUMMON THEE TO ANSWER AND CONFIRM THESE THINGS!
Also hiya buddy!

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Everyone got a run speed boost and everyones jump is 3 frames so Ganon can be pretty fast.

Also good luck summoning Lozjam, it's been awhile

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Dude's more beastly than before, I can tell you that. He feels slightly quicker in each way to me, but that's just my opinion. I know a guy who could probably confirm though.

ahem...
Lozjam Lozjam FROM THE GREAT DEPTHS OR DARKNESS, I SUMMON THEE TO ANSWER AND CONFIRM THESE THINGS!
Also hiya buddy!
Ah, this takes me back to the Smash 4 days... (AKA the Scrub saga)

Zelkam

Resident Wizard
Switch FC
1068-8431-0431
Trying to figure that out. Lag is...less for me, but still laggy. May be my connection, but I've got fast internet.
Here's a tip that I found on the internet. Go to you Switch setting and select Internet > Internet Settings > Select the connection you're using > Change Settings > and then find MTU. It'll most like be set at 1400, and if it is, change it to 1500. My brother and I tried this and our matches went from a slideshow to almost no lag at all.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Here's a tip that I found on the internet. Go to you Switch setting and select Internet > Internet Settings > Select the connection you're using > Change Settings > and then find MTU. It'll most like be set at 1400, and if it is, change it to 1500. My brother and I tried this and our matches went from a slideshow to almost no lag at all.
Actually did that. Found out my router has been cutting my net speed in half for the last week. Faulty hardware. Sucks. Replacing it, and hopefully enjoying less lag in the future.

Also hopefully means we can get to do some friendlies.

Sanjuro

Smash Rookie
Placed 4th (out of 18) at a local tornament today, didn’t think I’d make it that far. I’m really digging Ultimate’s take on Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Placed 4th (out of 18) at a local tornament today, didn’t think I’d make it that far. I’m really digging Ultimate’s take on Link.
Good work :)

I haven't bought an online subscription yet. Fighting lv9 CPUs is helping me a lot atm because they actually know how to parry and airdodge properly. I keep trying to play like SSB4 (and so do most videos I've seen). We need to adjust to the times.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Good work :)

I haven't bought an online subscription yet. Fighting lv9 CPUs is helping me a lot atm because they actually know how to parry and airdodge properly. I keep trying to play like SSB4 (and so do most videos I've seen). We need to adjust to the times.
Yeah dude, I slept on those Lvl9 CPU's and got my ass handed to me.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yeah dude, I slept on those Lvl9 CPU's and got my *** handed to me.
I going through each character and playing until I beat them 2x in a row. Some are hard at first but they get easier with practice.

If Villager pockets Link's bomb Link cannot pull a second, I tested it.

Lozjam

Smash Champion

ahem...
Also hiya buddy!
I demand a sacrifice of 7 maidens. Bonus points if one of those seven maidens includes Zelda. Then, perhaps, you shall find the answers you seek.
Everyone got a run speed boost and everyones jump is 3 frames so Ganon can be pretty fast.

Also good luck summoning Lozjam, it's been awhile
9 hours from now. Lobby match.

I await you.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I unlocked Ganon this morning. Very first kill was a nicely timed F-smash at 45%. This guy is an absolute monster. These small fast characters seem to struggle to kill me. They land all these hits on me to rack up percent and I come right back and even it out in about 2 or 3 hits. So far, I've lived till upwards of 240%!

He seems so much better than he has been since Brawl too. He still runs like molasses and hes got a sort of linear recovery still but his attacks feel so fast now, his smashes are godly and he tanks hits like they're nothing.

I think I might keep at him. I needed a heavy in my arsenal. It was either him or Bowser.
Young link is the true link
Can we just all agree that Toon Link is the abomination?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Arena Code: 2XMQM
Password: 333

Edit:
So it appears that no one is up to the challenge yet.

Ta ta my Linky boys.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
I demand a sacrifice of 7 maidens. Bonus points if one of those seven maidens includes Zelda. Then, perhaps, you shall find the answers you seek.

9 hours from now. Lobby match.

I await you.
Okay, found the *******

Even found a guy who'll do the sacrificing for ya for a fair price. seems trustworthy.

Arena Code: 2XMQM
Password: 333

Edit:
So it appears that no one is up to the challenge yet.

Ta ta my Linky boys.
Dang, was out with the fiance most of the day. Would love to jump a few rounds for good old times sometime this week man!

AdventCross

Smash Rookie
Hey just wanted to introduce myself to the S.U. Link Boards, I'm Cross, former Ike player from the Brawl era (previous account being Frznsaber, but I can't seem to log-in for whatever reason), I've been on hiatus for quite some time due to college.

I'm new to playing Link, possibly picking him up as my main. I'm looking forward to playing with you all.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Okay, found the *******

Even found a guy who'll do the sacrificing for ya for a fair price. seems trustworthy.

Dang, was out with the fiance most of the day. Would love to jump a few rounds for good old times sometime this week man!
Ganondorf is very much within his full glory and magnificence within this game. It makes sense, considering we are about 500 years younger.

Ganondorf is actually semi viable within this game; Still has some tough matchups that need real care and attention. However, the fact that Ganondorf can reliably kill at 70% completely makes up for his weak side .

Ganondorf is highly gimpable, but one wrong read you can kick your stock goodbye. Don’t be surprised if you are up by 2 stocks and you still lose. If you cannot gimp him, he easily lives.

All of Ganondorfs moves either easily combo to 30%, or just straight up do 20%. So, basically. 3 strikes and you’re out. You need to work on killing Ganondorf as fast as possible and make sure he doesn’t even breath on you. If he gets momentum, you lose your stock.

Now, the characters I notice are a complete wack, are the FE Sword Wielders. It doesn’t help that Ganon Mains are pretty dismantled with Ultimate. I cannot seem to find good strategies for those guys. Also the Castlevania folk as well. Their range, speed, and priority are things I just cannot poke a hole through. And simon’s projectiles wall me out. Lightweights are no long a huge problem.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Honestly, I didn't expect Link's 0% sword beam to be as useful as it actually is.

Especially good for long range pressure when paired with the boomerang since that now gives opponents three things to think about being the boomerang's first hit, the hit as it returns and the sword beam. And even moreso if you angle the boomberang and also if the bomb is present as well, like if it's sitting on a platform just above to cover jumps. Heck I managed to get some really interesting stuff happening when I throw a bomb, follow up with a boomerang, sword beam then detonate the bombs if the opponent is still vulnerable.

Another thing is that it makes his first hit of fsmash slightly safer since if the opponent is spaced just out of range of the sword the sword beam will still connect, and can still lead into his second hit if the opponent is close enough.

Of course the only down side being he can only use it when at 0%, so while it does make for some good early pressure at the beginning of stocks it doesn't last.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Zero keeps saying we're high tier boys. I know his word isn't law and it's still early but I'm seeing a lot of people put us there too. Feels really good to be able to say it regardless.

By the way, if you guys haven't yet, check out Salem's Link. He's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Zero keeps saying we're high tier boys. I know his word isn't law and it's still early but I'm seeing a lot of people put us there too. Feels really good to be able to say it regardless.

By the way, if you guys haven't yet, check out Salem's Link. He's ridiculous.
Lol agreed, Salem's Link is crazy, he's already pushing to remote bomb shenanigans to another level. He also said the same about Link being high tier, he even went farther and said there's a possibility he could be top tier. It's still very early to make a definitive tier list imo but it sure looks good for Link so far, at least competitively. I can't wait to see how Salem will do in future tournaments and if he'll stick with Link as a main.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Link mains in previous smash games. Sakurai don't like Link. I want to play with my favorite characters as a viable option. Ultimate Link, day 1, MUH ZONING T_T even tho he gets pros praise for the first time and personally I hope he will remain a viable character.

But for the moment it's still too early to say. More patches will be coming and the meta game of Link's new options, match ups and the entire game is still in it's infancy stages. Who knows what crazy stuff the community will discover about the game. How the dlc's character could shake up the entire tier list (plz let it not be the second coming of Bayo)

I do understand that some of you would have preferred Link to receive the Young Link "treatment". We played for years out of love for the character to the point that we adapted to it but still... I think we should welcome these new changes. I had the chance to try the game for a while and I understand how off putting it must feel.

I skipped the Wii U, so the last smash I had plenty of experience is project M... imagine my shock at the First hit of the F-Smash and how the Dair now works, and the bombs and grabs was so strange but at the same time it was exciting and scary to see how these things even tho Link still feels like Link, makes him feel much different at the same time, kinda like BotW was to the series if you think about it.

It gonna be hard to transition after so much time, but I suggest that people keep an open mind and altern with Y-Link while adapting to the new one.

And if we are lucky, we will see plenty of high level players playing Link. Regardless, it can't be worst than freaking brawl.... oh god.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I suggest that people keep an open mind and altern with Y-Link while adapting to the new one.

And if we are lucky, we will see plenty of high level players playing Link. Regardless, it can't be worst than freaking brawl.... oh god.
I agree with this. I personally alternate between the two Links (Toon Link doesn't count.) while having a few backups. They compliment each other surprisingly well actually!

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Still getting used to the lack of Zair and his bombs. I find the delayed detonation really hard to get used to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Young link is the true link
>true Link
>no Master Sword

It’s Toon Link boys.

Also, it’s indeed way harder facing Ganondorf in this game. I as Diddy never struggled against him, now I feel he’s almost moving as fast as me. Quite scary indeed.

Last edited:
>true Link
>no Master Sword

It’s Toon Link boys.
Lol we really need to change the thread title i'd be down for ''This is getting out of hand! Now there are 3 of them''.

All Links are the true Link even if Toon Link is a walking meme... :p
Also, it’s indeed way harder facing Ganondorf in this game. I as Diddy never struggled against him, now I feel he’s almost moving as fast as me. Quite scary indeed.
From what i've seen so far, the speed and range buffs are significant but he's still pretty vulnerable to combos and his recovery is pretty much unchanged (i.e. very bad). So throwing him offstage and doing some basic edgeguarding should do the trick. But yeah, you can't really mess up against him or the punish is likely to result in you losing a stock...

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
Ganondorf's increased speed has led him to being a real punisher. Before he was all reads and waiting people out, but now he can move in a bit more and two, three hits and a stock's gone even from 0%.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Only thing that's missing in Ganon's kit is a decent recovery. I think that's one of the primary things that could potentially hold him back from being placed in a higher tier in high level play.

Ganon can take big hits no problem, but put him up against a decent edge guard offstage and he's in big trouble. He doesn't have the air mobility, recovery, or the means to defend himself against an edge guard. I think once people get more comfortable with their characters, we'll see this being his biggest downfall. Ironically, I think characters like Link are among his biggest weaknesses.

But dammit if he isn't one of the scariest characters and biggest punishers in the game. He can definitely be a dominant force on the stage.

Last edited:
Only thing that's missing in Ganon's kit is a decent recovery. I think that's one of the primary things that could potentially hold him back from being placed in a higher tier in high level play.
Give him a floating mechanic like Peach, Sakurai you coward! :p ... with his iconic laugh too plz...
It would probably be broken AF but eh, it's just fun to think about.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I've been practicing parrying in training mode and it's hard. If anyone wants to play sometime I bought an online subscription.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Rizen Rizen Can you test if this combo really works?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks interesting.

Edit: Huh, missed the note at the bottom. It could still be tested, at least.

Last edited:

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight

Looks interesting.

I'm gonna borrow that tweet and post that on the Link metagame thread if you don't mind me.

Rizen

Smash Legend

Looks interesting.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1073008416082149376
Salem's thing works; it's just like Nair>arrow lock but with a bomb throw.

2nd combo: Essentially he's doing 2 simple actions, catching a bomb with an aerial and Bair1 combo, and acting like he invented something fancy. The only thing to judge is if Bair 1 combos into Nair and according to his training mode it did. At that % he'd be better off combing Bair 1 into upB or Usmash :/

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman

Looks interesting.

Right off the bat, it's not true. At that range thrown, Pikachu can spotdodge, jump, roll, jab, etc. to avoid the grab. Even if he was standing right next to him Pikachu can easily avoid it. After the throw, Pikachu can DI down and tech to avoid the bomb explosion. After the first BAir, Pikachu can avoid the second BAir by jumping or airdodging.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1073008416082149376
Salem's thing works; it's just like Nair>arrow lock but with a bomb throw.

2nd combo: Essentially he's doing 2 simple actions, catching a bomb with an aerial and Bair1 combo, and acting like he invented something fancy. The only thing to judge is if Bair 1 combos into Nair and according to his training mode it did. At that % he'd be better off combing Bair 1 into upB or Usmash :/
The training mode combo counter still sucks, but in this case it's accurate. Like you implied, nothing amazing, but may be helpful. I would be more concerned about the setup.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
The only thing to judge is if Bair 1 combos into Nair and according to his training mode it did. At that % he'd be better off combing Bair 1 into upB or Usmash :/
It's definitely a cool looking way to take a stock, but I agree. It's far easier and more effective to do just this. It's like that with a lot of the flashy bomb hit combos. You're really only getting an extra ~1% out of a bomb-hit confirm, while the rest of it seems dependent on perfect factors.

By the way, if you guys are playing Link, try to avoid Isabelle... she can hold onto your bomb for the entire match with no chance of you getting it back unless she shows mercy. Likely the same with Villager too.

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely a cool looking way to take a stock, but I agree. It's far easier and more effective to do just this. It's like that with a lot of the flashy bomb hit combos. You're really only getting an extra ~1% out of a bomb-hit confirm, while the rest of it seems dependent on perfect factors.

By the way, if you guys are playing Link, try to avoid Isabelle... she can hold onto your bomb for the entire match with no chance of you getting it back unless she shows mercy. Likely the same with Villager too.
This isn't entirely true. If you take a stock, she loses the bomb and you can pull again. That being said, it's rather easy for her to pocket the bomb again so be careful on ones bomb usage. Bombs shouldn't be essential to one's play.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman

I don't think that we shouldn't worry about villager too much even with out our bombs. Link already had a good matchup against him in 4. Not sure about Isabelle though.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
This isn't entirely true. If you take a stock, she loses the bomb and you can pull again. That being said, it's rather easy for her to pocket the bomb again so be careful on ones bomb usage. Bombs shouldn't be essential to one's play.
Oh yeah, I should have clarified that. Still, it can definitely mess with any sort of set up you have planned.

Top Bottom