• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yoshi Nerf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

NOTE: Any comments toward me will not be tolerated.

As I hope we are all aware of, Yoshi is both an extremely underrated and extremely effortless character. Personally, in my huge list of nerfs that need to happen, Yoshi is one of the few characters where almost every aspect of the character is included. Here is a list of nerfs I would give him (and that need to happen) to prevent any more toxicity and needless disconnect bans.
-----------------------

1) His start-up.

Too many parts of Yoshi's kit come out no later than frame 14 (the speed of his forward smash). The up smash in particular is infuriatingly busted for the same reason as that of Fox: it comes out too fast (frame 11) for how deadly it is. This is even worse because of Egg Lay, which is frame 19 and hard to react to, and its ability to give Yoshi a guaranteed up smash. Both Yoshi and Fox can use this move for free 80% of the time and it's ridiculous.

Nair is a frame 3 move (a top tier combo breaker) that basically guarantees up smashes, even if the opponent floor techs. Basically all of Yoshi's moves have high speed and power, which is the main reason he needs heavy nerfing, especially because of the unearned reward.
------------------------

2) His disadvantage state.

Yoshi's air mobility is not as broken as Jigglypuff's, but it's still really good. Too good, as it makes him difficult to edgeguard, let alone hit. This, combined with his super armored double jump, means he cannot be KO'd unless the player gets too greedy, or he whiffs an attack (which, thankfully, don't have god-tier end lag).

Egg Lay is also a busted combo breaker. Although it's frame 19, characters who aren't blessed with a suburb combo game are too easily caught by this, which leads to the nonsense above. The armor is fine, but the evasiveness needs to be toned down.
-------------------------

3) His aerials.

Yoshi is a slightly slower, slightly less effective version of Fox in terms of ground speed and combo game. In the air, he's a less effective Jigglypuff. He's less likely to carry you from the center of a stage to the blast zone (which gives him less invincible matchups), but his aerials are still problematic.

• Nair, as said earlier, is a frame 3 combo breaker that guarantees too much.
  • Fair is a frame 16 spike with a large spike hitbox. Anything faster than frame 21-22 is hard to react to.
  • Bair is a nasty 3-hit disjoint that has practically no end lag (same for his Nair) and sets up juggles, which most of the cast can't escape from.
  • Up air is frame 5, combos into itself, and also puts the player in an unfavorable position. Thankfully, because Yoshi is floaty, he cannot abuse it to the extent that Fox can with his Up air.
  • Dair is scary outside of whiff. On hit, you eat a lot of damage and potentially get semi-spiked to where you can't floor tech. On shield, it does decent shield damage and has high potential for a shield poke.
Except for Up air, all of these aerials need to be less reliable.

All of the above makes him too good and are practically unbeatable for characters with inferior mobility/slower attacks.

D

Deleted member

This thread has been wasted on trolling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This thread has been locked as the OP and other posts content in this thread was going down a bad route regardless of the first post being excessive in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom