• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Wow I go away for a weekend and this topic is 6 pages long.

I wish I had as much time to research all this as you guys seem to have. So far I only got to mess with this on my lunch break and I was only able to get the trapbox out once. I'll keep messing with it to see if I can actually add anything to the discovery.

Edit: Question. By chance LonelyNess (or anyone else) did you happen to test the glitch on something that was not an opponent?

VilNess

Smash Champion
Yeah this thread exploded ^_^
Yeah why not Matunas, I´m sure if you have you can find some special details.
Like Me and Matta were pretty excited about this and now my Matta plays Ness too, He has got lotsa advanced things down just because he has played against my Ness like 1000 times :p
We probably even forgot to mention something.
Oh yeah. Homerunbat and trap-box rule!

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
Can you far away grab ppl when they are off the stage? This could make Ness an even better team player to save ppl.

Ive just now been able to do this sort of regularly. I realized that they have to walk into it. This is still great. It might be hard to pull off in a real match though.

VilNess

Smash Champion
No you can´t grab people off the stage... unless you set up a trap in yoshi64 in the one could very far away. or similiar but it´s impossible in FD for example

Who Am I???

Smash Ace
O ok. Well poop. Ive been getting better and better at this everytime I mess around with it.

The way they rearranged the rooms has messed me up so bad...... I was going into Melee trnys when I thought I was going into Clan Grounds.....

dan smith

Smash Champion
Your enemy dosen't HAVE to walk into it....you can pop them up if they are at high %s. That is the technique VilNess was talking about.

VilNess: If you just charge it as an obstacle it is fairly annoying and lays Trap-Boxes on an opponent of any % easily.

It also drops the box where you stand...giving you more time to get away from the trap and choose an attack to trip it with.

Yeah...you can't leave traps in the air WAI. I am sure there is an exception though...the ships on Corneria? Maybe...

Mantuas: Why test it on something other than an NME? It is very easy to pull of with practice.

If you are asking for the sake of experimentation...I tried the tentacles on Brinstar...

I think I may have gotten the first Trap-Box Phantom Bair in the HISTORY OF TIME. It was sucky.

Xaron Fisk: Hahaha...

Xaron Fisk

Smash Journeyman
Hey, im pretty sure i managed to lay a trapbox with downsmash as well, but i havent been able to duplicate it. can someone confirm this?

Glide

Smash Ace
Hmm; if it does work on non-opponents (eg, shyguys) then it would be pretty nifty. I suppose we'd have to test though; however difficult it would be to test that.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
well...it works on teammates^_^

I do wanna know one thing tho.....Dan....did u say that u can make Ness teleport to the trapbox rather than the trapbox go to him?!?!?!?

dan smith

Smash Champion
I actually haven't talked about this, LonelyNess mentioned it.

I have done it ONCE. I don't know how.

Xaron Fisk: I have tried the DownSmash on several occasions to make sure it dosen't work. I think you must have dropped a Trap-Box with the UpSmash...forgotten/lost it...and then used the DownSmash.

I don't think it's possible. I will go do some Shyguys tests right now!

EDIT: MAN! Testing on those Shyguys was annoying...

Ok, you can't glitch the Shyguys...and even if you could it would be useless. They come too rarely and in sporatic patterns. The platforms you have to stand on to use them are too small, it's hard not to auto-smash.

Crush, Spin, and Brick Blocks are all impossible too.

Tentacle = impossible.

Guns on Corneria = impossible.

The only thing I could glitch with were the Buttons on Peach's Castle...and they were very easy to use!

The only things I didn't test: Ice Blocks on Infinite Mountain and the Racecars on both F-Zero stages. They would have taken too much effort.

Enjoy laying Trap-Boxes on Buttons!

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
I have quite an interesting discovery!

I like this discovery very much....if you do this to sum1 u have the right to say "OMG PWND!" to them every time u see them

I found there is a way to stall the trapbox damage at least with pk thunder2

first u set the trapbox....then u jump off the arena so you are still close to the ledge....then use pk thunder and hit yourself and sweetspot the ledge...

the opponent gets hit by the pkthunder2...as soon as u jump off the ledge^_^

matta-from-subid

Smash Apprentice
How does that work?
I mean, should the opponent be in the death-line as you PKthunder2 or when you jump? or in neither or in both?
what happens if you fall from the ledge or do somthing else?

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
The only thing I could glitch with were the Buttons on Peach's Castle...and they were very easy to use!
Thanks Dan.

Wow the possibility of being able to teleport yourself to a trapbox. Ness wouldn't have "bad" recovery any more.

Well I finally am able to do the glitch almost every time I try it. Once I learned the exact way to perform it it became pretty easy. As for the teleport thing I've only thought of a few ways it might be possible and even those are pretty far fetched. Back to practice.

Edit: Either Dan or LonelyNess what type of situation were you in when you teleported? Stage? Move you did?

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
yeah that would be a perfect use for the teleport. if only i could figure out what i did to make it work..im glad you got it once dan...that means we're closer to figuring out more.

Im having trouble getting the pk flash to work again..but i've done it before so i know its possible...

everything else im trying to work into my game...but the yoyo is quite slow and its hard to pull of even outta a DD.

dan smith

Smash Champion
When it happened to me...it was like.

Have you ever seen the glitch where Ganon gets sent straight to the ground by Kirby's spike?

It would be hard to use as a recovery...you would have to think far enough ahead of lay a Trap-Box before you get knocked off...even then it could be tripped before you can Teleport.

The only theory I have (which is probably far wrong) as far as Teleporting goes is that it has to do with Grab. Doesen't that make sense? Since Grabbing somebody with a Trap-Box teleports them to you...it seems this could be reversed.I didn't teleport thaat far and I really didn't think much of it until LonelyNess mentioned the same had happened to him.

I am the worst at tripping the Trap-Box with Grabs...I rarely get that one. Hmmm...I will get better though. (while trying to Teleport)

Simna: You and your PK Missile tricks. That sounds interesting...I am at school now...but when I get home I will try it.

EDIT: I always thought Ness should be able to Teleport.

Should we call it Teleport Beta?

Matunas

I'm a monster!
BRoomer
NNID
Matunas
Well with recovery I wasn't so much thinking that you would purposely set it up for that reason. Just if you happen to have set it up and were knocked off the stage.

My possible theories.

1. Something to do with grab as Dan said.

2. The hitbox hitting some sort of wall that wont allow it to pass so you are taken there. Ex: You are falling off the edge of FD and it tries to get to you when you do Dair. As if here was somekind of barrier in the level itself that will not allow it to pass.

3. Some kind of use of PK Thunder. My first thought was that since this attack is so unique it might somehow be linked to the teleport situation. Since the attack hits at such a distance you could hit your opponent and it would bring you towards that area.

4. Something to do with the upsmash, since that what causes the occurance in the first place.

Just theories. Wish I had actually seen it. Might give me a better idea of what happened. As of right now it is kind of hard to visualize. Going to work on it as soon as I get home.

dan smith

Smash Champion
If grab is the answer...recovery is a no no. (obviously)

Ok h3y...this brings something up, what you said about the UpSmash, has anyone tried using the UpSmash to trip the Trap-Box? I tried...but I couldn't tell if I was actually doing it or if I was messing up.

My bro thinks that if you can trip the Trap with UpSmash it might lay abother Trap-Box. I seriously doubt this...but I thought I would mention it. (I kinda thought it was a funny idea)

My brother has a very loose grasp on how it works by the way...so he's not exactly an expert.

Not that...anybody really is yet.

Glide

Smash Ace
My problem is that the yo-yo glitch lacks setups =( I have difficulties spacing that stuff just right against my friends. I did manage to pull of a sweet-arse Double KO the other night though. Nobody saw the bat coming.

Myst Walker

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this is some pretty impressive stuff guys =p. I've been fiddling around with the yoyo these past few days after reading up on all of this, and I must say, it really could add an entire new field of play to my ness =).

It's a shame I don't have more time to try and get some sort of mastery down to use this in a real matchup, I'm hoping to money match Captian Jack to a ness ditto tommorow and this could have really been an awesome trick to help me have some sort of edge against his insanity haha.

Still, I have 3 days before the big tournament day itself, maybe I'll have come some way by then. Wonderful stuff still guys =p

Nessbounder, your list helps heaps! Just curious though, do you have any idea of the exact % from which ness himself sets off the glitch? I'm trying to get an exact number for ness team battles and ditto's.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
wow.

Wow, what can I say? This is awesome stuff. Myst and I will try to implement this glitch into our current Ness strats.

YEHS! A glitch that actually works on PAL!!!

Great stuff NESSBOUNDER. And kudos to Simna for the Ness vid showcasing the glitch.

ANTX

Smash Ace
100th post!

i will give dan smith $10 if he can yoyo glitch someone in the next tournament.

any glitch will work, but i flying hitbox would be cooler.

JRI3102

Smash Apprentice
can you be a little more specific i am trying to do it and i dont see any sign that i go it. i can hit a DK once with the up B but then i cant get the rest could you explain what happens. Basically i followed the instruction on only hitting him once but then i cant hit them from accross the stage

or if there is a vid where i can see it maybe that will help..

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um... Don't you mean up-A you might not be fully charging it right. And make sure that Dk is directly under you when you release.

N64

Smash Champion
ANTX: I just Yo-yo glitched N64 (whose account I am currently on) it was a weak Fair trip though.

"Nessbounder, your list helps heaps!"

What list are they talking about?

I haven't been checking the boards too much lately.

JRI3102: Just charge the UpSmash and let a walking DK run into it during training mode. If the number of hits indicator on the right shows "1" you should have dropped a Trap-Box. Let him walk into it...just to make sure it's there. Get good at dropping them before practicing timing attacks to trip the trap with.

Tell me if that dosen't work...

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
teleport and flash

hey guys, i did it again...

the flash is weird because i got it to work on the first day...and then it wouldn't work after that...but today i did it again...think it has something to do with ness releasing the flash right before he get punched...last frame of the flash are automatic so the flash still goes off... and im not 100% positive on this working since i only did it once today....i would try it again but i got my cube taken up.

i was working on seeting traps off of the buttons on peach's castle. When my mom walked in.(you guys aren't going to believe this) but i wasnt supposed to be playing ssbm i got grounded from it....so i dropped my controller.

im not sure which buttons hit the ground...but ness teleported through the tower/wall on peaches castle...

I couldnt go back and figure out what i did cause im in trouble...and now i can't go to dan smith's tourny in kansas...

Bad luck eh?:(

dan smith

Smash Champion
Why does Antx always say "I'd hit it"???

That story is awesome Lonely, I haven't experimented with the glitch lately as much as I have just practiced the stuff we already know.

I will look into the teleport thing more. Peaches castle is where I will try it too.

It sucks that you got grounded...and I didn't know that you were going to go to my tournament. You should come to the next one, if the grounding really does last that long.

I miss VilNess.

Glide

Smash Ace
ANTX is my official one-stop shop for random one-liners.

I'd hit it
>_>

dan smith

Smash Champion
They tend to kill the flow of threads.

The thread will be going along, people talking, and then ANTX says something...and nobody can respond.

It's actually against the rules. Feel free to report any of the hundreds of one liners he drops on this or any board to the SWF Mods.

:rolleyes:

Glide

Smash Ace
I just have one word to say to that:

Barbeque.

OMGWTF!?

Anyway....
Yes. Yo-yo glitch = teh awesome. Seems like the key is just to learn the spacing though; it's sad, but since Marth is my main, I always space too far away. It's perfect range for a tipper, but not for the glitch =(

dan smith

Smash Champion
Counter intuitive. It's a shame when things work out like that, it creates big problems. I am very bad at playing multiple character in rapid succesion for this reason.

The only way to get around it would be practicing getting the range right with the Yo-yo and then...your Tippers might get thrown off.

There is no easy way...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I like to play a very slippery and evasive Ness. So it goes without saying that I love the yo-yo glitch/memory loop to bits.

Dodge attack, up smash, mind game. I did this to my friend who plays DK and he was like "WHOA! HOW DID YOU JUST GRAB ME!!?@?"

My friend plays a surprisingly nimble and evasive DK. Our matches last for ages. I wish I could make vids...-_-; He plays one psycho ape. (Forces me into the offensive. It's not fair!)

I'm one of those Nesses who likes to fake agression and then dodge and punish. And the Yo-yo glitch is best used to punish lag.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nessbounder: How are you even capable of doing that trick when in competetion. I can barely even do it on a comp. Don't you have to get the opponent at the right damage to walk into the yo-yo at the exact right time?

Dansmith: did you every get to test the invisible PK flash. I swear I wasn't BSing that. I cant reproduce it but my friend does it alot its wierd.

matta-from-subid

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Varuna
Nessbounder: How are you even capable of doing that trick when in competetion. I can barely even do it on a comp. Don't you have to get the opponent at the right damage to walk into the yo-yo at the exact right time?
It is almost as easy as upsmash with up and A, but youll have to load it for a little while. My bro has done it many times to me, but that is when i was not concentrating.

Just be in the right spot. Not too near so it will not hit twice or too far when it will not hit at all. It is the lenght of the yoyo's string that is a good distance. Practise that with standing CPU:s.

LonelyNess

Smash Cadet
Well, i play my bro. almost everyday...which makes it hard to surprise him with anything. He plays a pretty decent fox, and we split the wins about half and half. And he plays a pretty intresting counter glitch stratgey:

Whenever i use my up smash he dash attacks me. It sounds pretty simple but its ingenious. If I jump out the way then he cancels out the hit box. If i shild he keeps on running through me...and takes the hitbox...which only does 4 damage at most, and it pretty hard to combo fast fallers off of. If i shield grab or attck then the box is gone anyway... Its gotton to the point where whenever i use my up smash he rushes to cancel out the box...which is nice because its predictable, but has taken away my practice glitching a human player, which is harder than glitching a cpu because it is.

anyway i think we should take dan smith's advice and start coming up with ideas and posting stratagies on the static glitch...incase the they do hit you...

maybe nair out of a shield?

i dont really have a point to my story except that im sad about my glitch being countered. I also went to a small local tournament.. and i glitched twice and noone even noticed... i grabed someone from the other side of the screen...i dont know how you canb not notice that...
I also lost every single match i played...depressing...but no worries...i'll get my melee spirit back and win mlg houston.

dan smith

Smash Champion
I have faith in your Lonely. Everybody has their off days...

It is suprising how some people can see something amazing and not realise. I glitched my friend and he didn't really think anything of it.

"What's so special? Oh...you can't always hit me from across the stage?"

Your brothers development is interesting.

Static Glitch = PK Thundering yourself straight down into the ground so you have static around you. (Incase I confused anybody...)

Top Bottom