• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yo-kai Watch Mascot! (Jibanyan For Smash!) (Under New Management!)

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I have no doubt. I just wish they'd let it go. A few were fine but now they are overboard.

On another note: How would you feel if Robonyan was an Echo and Sailornyan was a alt?

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Smash has enough Pokémon, I feel it's time to let another "mon" series share the spotlight and Jibanyan's really perfect for that. The dude's charming and there's so much personality packed into his fat little body. He's also just really cute.

A Smash inclusion would also allow me to get more mileage out of the several images I have of him.
tumblr_pgacvujgd31vzmjryo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ogn7cjGxgR1te1xnqo1_500.gif

jibanyan-79720.jpg

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Glad others still support him! I honestly still haven't even finished the first game (too many other games taking up my time) but I really like it and him!

My favorites are Venoct, Komasan, and Jibanyan.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I don't know how much it matters here, but people are using Yo-kai Watch 4 as an excuse to bash on Game Freak, and we should probably address that before we end up in a Waluigi situation.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I don't know how much it matters here, but people are using Yo-kai Watch 4 as an excuse to bash on Game Freak, and we should probably address that before we end up in a Waluigi situation.
Wait what?

Honestly, I wish both fandoms can really stop attacking each other. Both are different and can coexist easily.

I'm a fan of both and plan to get Pokemon Sword and Yokai Watch 4.

On a side note, how many of you plan to get Yokai Watch 3? I have the bad feeling it will flop since most recent 3DS games had been bombing lately. This is bad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wait what?

Honestly, I wish both fandoms can really stop attacking each other. Both are different and can coexist easily.

I'm a fan of both and plan to get Pokemon Sword and Yokai Watch 4.

On a side note, how many of you plan to get Yokai Watch 3? I have the bad feeling it will flop since most recent 3DS games had been bombing lately. This is bad.
i got it played it loved it

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay so looking at gameplay for Yokai watch 4 I noticed that the human characters can fight alongside the Yokai, like giving a punch.

So what if instead of Jibanyan we end up getting Nate as a Playable character (with Katie probably as an alt like characters like Corrin, Robin and Pokemon Trainer having both genders) and all his specials are him summoning different Yokai to do different attacks?

That sounds like a Concept I could see the Smash team going with.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay so looking at gameplay for Yokai watch 4 I noticed that the human characters can fight alongside the Yokai, like giving a punch.

So what if instead of Jibanyan we end up getting Nate as a Playable character (with Katie probably as an alt like characters like Corrin, Robin and Pokemon Trainer having both genders) and all his specials are him summoning different Yokai to do different attacks?

come see my support thread about that very idea

Ornl

Smash Ace
Jibanyan is for me an excellent choice on paper, I support him.
But I continue to observe how to stand out :
- a RPG red cat who is an ex-man and has a link with summoning (Jibanyan),
- a RPG red cat with the physical posture of a man and a link with summoning (Incineroar),
- a RPG man whose color of the graphic theme is red, whose animal totem is the cat, and has a link with the summoning (Joker).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
- a RPG red cat with the physical posture of a man and a link with summoning (Incineroar),
- a RPG man whose color of the graphic theme is red, whose animal totem is the cat, and has a link with the summoning (Joker).
what do you mean ex-man?

Ornl

Smash Ace
This is an error induced by a bad machine translation for a very long time ago ><

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I think that Jibanyan would stand out just fine. He's got a unique design and Smash doesn't really have any playable ghosts, let alone dead cats. Also he's very expressive with a lot of character to boot (though this is much more prevalent in the show), which is something that would help differentiate him from the likes of Pikachu.

I... really don't like this idea as much. Nate's great and all but I think playing as Jibanyan and focusing on what he can do would be most appropriate. He is one of the titular Yo-kai after all. It'd be nice to see Nate in a win screen though. Whisper could even appear in a taunt.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Now this is a team I can get behind. I can see him getting alone with Joker and Incineroar well.

And I will have to agree with Looma as well. Nate fighting sounds interesting one paper, but can he take heavy hits from a non-human? That's my concern as well.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support Jibanyan :)

You will be missed Reggie

For their minimal efforts, Nintendo did well with their advertising of Yokai Watch.

we have characters who die in one hit in their games, also yes he can
Fair enough.

It's possible, although at the same time Jibanyan can really stand on his own. It's all up to Level 5 and Sakurai either way.

Last edited:

Looma

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the problem is that Nate can't take a hit, but more that he's less interesting than Jibanyan ability wise. For comparison, I'd say it sounds a bit like actually playing as the Pokémon Trainer than his Pokémon. It could work sure, but a playable Yo-kai would be way more fun imo. Jibanyan and his fellow nyans definitely have more than enough to fill a moveset with.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Pokemon Trainer and Nate should ever throw punches as if they themselves are fighters. Pokemon Trainer is right how they should be. The Pokemon and Jibanyan/Yokai should be the ones fighting imo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think the problem is that Nate can't take a hit, but more that he's less interesting than Jibanyan ability wise. For comparison, I'd say it sounds a bit like actually playing as the Pokémon Trainer than his Pokémon. It could work sure, but a playable Yo-kai would be way more fun imo. Jibanyan and his fellow nyans definitely have more than enough to fill a moveset with.
difference is that nate is the main character of the franchise where as pokemon doesnt have one you have a different one in just about every game yet nate remains, where as if the pokemon trainer were to be directly playble the end result would be like the villager nate wouldnt be as he has several things at his disposal which would help as any one playing three will discover

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hey did you all hear? after shdowside finished they brought back the original anime carrying it on back to the old format and style of humour

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That's good to read. I prefer the original.
yeah it put me in a good mood too

theyve kept the arks instead of the medals from what ive read but instead of turning them into shadowside forms it has random effects on the yo-kai what with them going back to the more humourus tone

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so ive got support thread for nate the main human character and we have here the support thread for jibnyan, people i give you the halfway, human jibanyan

edit: oops, sorry i genuinely didnt realise i was double posting, sorry

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
so ive got support thread for nate the main human character and we have here the support thread for jibnyan, people i give you the halfway, human jibanyan

edit: oops, sorry i genuinely didnt realise i was double posting, sorry
That Jybanyan kamen rider looks awesome and I want a figure of him

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, do you guys think we'll get any Level-5 reps? If you do, do you think Jibanyan is likely? I'm asking since we now know 3 of the 5 characters in the pass.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So, do you guys think we'll get any Level-5 reps? If you do, do you think Jibanyan is likely? I'm asking since we now know 3 of the 5 characters in the pass.
theres not really anyway of knowing, i think both yo-kai watch and professor layton have the popularity to warrant it

Last edited:

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
What are his chances realistically? i think Yokai would fit perfectly in Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
What are his chances realistically? i think Yokai would fit perfectly in Smash.
Considering the DLC so far has been big fan requests and since the smash ballot happened during the height of Yokai watch's popularity I would guess there would be a good chance for it.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So Yokai Watch 4's sales were less than stellar.

I hope this doesn't mean the end of Yokai Watch.

Sure there been many reports of the march and popularity dying after 2, but this may sound very grim for Jibanyan.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So Yokai Watch 4's sales were less than stellar.

I hope this doesn't mean the end of Yokai Watch.

Sure there been many reports of the march and popularity dying after 2, but this may sound very grim for Jibanyan.
it would be such a shame if that was true, but the current version of anime is still on going and the next movie is still to come out so weve still got time for new life to be breathed into the franchise

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This just in: Yo-kai Watch 4 is confirmed to be recieving an English release at some point. However, it seems to be early in development, as the trailer they showed at Anime Expo was in Japanese with English subtitles.

Top Bottom