• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yo-kai Watch Mascot! (Jibanyan For Smash!) (Under New Management!)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
The change in gameplay and scenery saw a huge decrease in sales for YW3. Busters 2 had a ton of bugs and glitches and ended up doing a fraction of what the original did. I would love to play both in English, but I’d much rather see the series become successful so it can continue.

I’m also going to be shipping at least one copy of YW4 Japanese. The series desperately needs our support and I’m sure I’ll have fun at least exploring even if I can’t understand the game.
This.

It's a shame how the series is going downhill and 4 looks like a return to the series' form. Here's to hoping it sells so much better than 3 in Japan.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Isn't Yokai Watch 4 the "Shadowside" game? I wouldn't call that returning to form personally. I think going dark is out of place. I want them to stay with made the first Yokai Watch great.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Isn't Yokai Watch 4 the "Shadowside" game? I wouldn't call that returning to form personally. I think going dark is out of place. I want them to stay with made the first Yokai Watch great.
4 looks to be a combination of all eras. The classic era, Shadowside, and the one for the upcoming film.

I don't mind this direction as long as it doesn't lose the trademark charm and really expand the gameplay.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Someone should create a move set and a list of supporters for the OP.
Moveset, I think I can at least iron out the Specials, taunts, and Final Smash. The problem with Jibanyan is that I don't know what his smash attacks, tilts, grabs, and other technical moves would be.

SPECIAL MOVES:
*Standard: Inspirit
Yo-Kai have the ability to possess, or "inspirit", anything that they can come into contact with and in this version, this allows Jibanyan to utilize a fire-based attack that can be compounded with repeat usage on the same target for a stacking effect. This is often forgotten.
*Forward: Paws of Fury
The iconic move that Jibanyan has used in every game, for both drama and comedic relief, involves his rapid-firing his arms at the opponent. Like Inspirit, it can do compound damage if multiple hits land. During this, Jibanyan would be aerial, and is vulnerable to counterattack if there's another fighter in the stage.
*Up (Recovery): Furry Uppercut
Similar to Ryu's Shoryuken, and based off of one of his special moves from Blasters, Jibanyan utilizes an aerial fist attack that deals average damage, but is better served as his recovery move.
*Down: Nyext!
One of Jibanyan's alternate Soultimate moves from Yo-Kai Watch 2, he takes on a goofy pose, and should he be hit while performing this, a random effect happens to the person who touches him.
Final Smash: Charge, Nyan!
A two-step Final Smash that involves a connection and the execution. Jibanyan will jump at opponents in a path and any that touch him will be sent to the special scene in which multiple Nyans, and this could even include Shadowside Jibanyan & Nekomata as cameos, running towards the victims in a stampede effect. This is meant to highlight the close to three dozen Nyan characters that are in the series. Note that not every Nyan would have their own unique trophy and would be resigned to the Final Smash trophy.

And here's the current list (try not to sneeze).

1.ZealousGamer (topic creator)
2.Yomi's Biggest Fan
3.Aussie
4.Pizza Robo
5.Coofle DeDoofle
6.JDogindy
7.smashkirby
8.CommanderZaktan
9.Kremling Man
10.Lord-Zero
11.SEGAGameBoy
12.Eternium
13.Graizen

If possible, I'd like to become the thread manager, because as somebody said on Page 1, Jibanyan needs a better argument. I mean, the only other character I made a thread for was Goose (as in Untitled Goose Game Goose), but if you look at that, you'll notice I put in a lot of effort into the layout of that, and that's a character I'm lobbying for as an Assist Trophy. Funnily enough, one of the earlier Jibanyan threads during Smash 4 had a decent structure, and I intend on trying my best to put that together.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm not sure what the process is to turn over a thread but if you want it let me know.

As for the Final Smash? Not digging "Charge, Nyan!" I'd also like the "pin" be added to the movelist as it could either increase the damage done to opponents with the pin stuck to them or increase Jibanyan's range. I also think the "Inspirit" works better as a buff for himself and debuff (slow move/attack or sleep effect) on opponents.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'm not sure what the process is to turn over a thread but if you want it let me know.

As for the Final Smash? Not digging "Charge, Nyan!" I'd also like the "pin" be added to the movelist as it could either increase the damage done to opponents with the pin stuck to them or increase Jibanyan's range. I also think the "Inspirit" works better as a buff for himself and debuff (slow move/attack or sleep effect) on opponents.
How it goes is that you would have to DM an admin like Cyn Cyn and let her know who would you like to be the new thread owner or have that person interested do it themselves.

That's what I remember as far as thread ownership changing.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Moveset, I think I can at least iron out the Specials, taunts, and Final Smash. The problem with Jibanyan is that I don't know what his smash attacks, tilts, grabs, and other technical moves would be.

SPECIAL MOVES:
*Standard: Inspirit
Yo-Kai have the ability to possess, or "inspirit", anything that they can come into contact with and in this version, this allows Jibanyan to utilize a fire-based attack that can be compounded with repeat usage on the same target for a stacking effect. This is often forgotten.
*Forward: Paws of Fury
The iconic move that Jibanyan has used in every game, for both drama and comedic relief, involves his rapid-firing his arms at the opponent. Like Inspirit, it can do compound damage if multiple hits land. During this, Jibanyan would be aerial, and is vulnerable to counterattack if there's another fighter in the stage.
*Up (Recovery): Furry Uppercut
Similar to Ryu's Shoryuken, and based off of one of his special moves from Blasters, Jibanyan utilizes an aerial fist attack that deals average damage, but is better served as his recovery move.
*Down: Nyext!
One of Jibanyan's alternate Soultimate moves from Yo-Kai Watch 2, he takes on a goofy pose, and should he be hit while performing this, a random effect happens to the person who touches him.
Final Smash: Charge, Nyan!
A two-step Final Smash that involves a connection and the execution. Jibanyan will jump at opponents in a path and any that touch him will be sent to the special scene in which multiple Nyans, and this could even include Shadowside Jibanyan & Nekomata as cameos, running towards the victims in a stampede effect. This is meant to highlight the close to three dozen Nyan characters that are in the series. Note that not every Nyan would have their own unique trophy and would be resigned to the Final Smash trophy.

And here's the current list (try not to sneeze).

1.ZealousGamer (topic creator)
2.Yomi's Biggest Fan
3.Aussie
4.Pizza Robo
5.Coofle DeDoofle
6.JDogindy
7.smashkirby
8.CommanderZaktan
9.KeybladeSmasher
10.Kremling Man
11.Lord-Zero
12.SEGAGameBoy
13.Eternium
14.Graizen

If possible, I'd like to become the thread manager, because as somebody said on Page 1, Jibanyan needs a better argument. I mean, the only other character I made a thread for was Goose (as in Untitled Goose Game Goose), but if you look at that, you'll notice I put in a lot of effort into the layout of that, and that's a character I'm lobbying for as an Assist Trophy. Funnily enough, one of the earlier Jibanyan threads during Smash 4 had a decent structure, and I intend on trying my best to put that together.
I have never said I support Jibanyan for Smash.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yokai Watch is one of the top grossing media franchises of all time. It would not be odd to me for Jibanyan to get in the game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
D

Deleted member

https://smashboards.com/threads/highest-grossing-media-franchises-of-all-time.458292/

To put it into perspective, Yokai-Watch as a franchise has made an estimated 3.45 billion dollars, whereas Zelda has made roughly 3.24 billion.

Though, expect this to change when we get Zelda in more media, whether it be a movie, the theme park, or whichever else.
To counter argue this statement, there's sustainability. While Zelda hasn't made as much money, it's largely been able to sustain itself through ups and downs. Yo-Kai Watch right now is reaching a low point after riding high for 4 years, and whether or not they are able to rebound from this is dependent upon what Level 5 does for the franchise. We don't have the future sight, so time will tell if Yo-Kai Watch can sustain itself or if it's a fad.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To counter argue this statement, there's sustainability. While Zelda hasn't made as much money, it's largely been able to sustain itself through ups and downs. Yo-Kai Watch right now is reaching a low point after riding high for 4 years, and whether or not they are able to rebound from this is dependent upon what Level 5 does for the franchise. We don't have the future sight, so time will tell if Yo-Kai Watch can sustain itself or if it's a fad.
I think the TV show alone shows it is here to stay. It may stay as a Japanese niche, but I do see your point. I'm not claiming Zelda is less of a draw, or more for that matter. Just showing the numbers. It really helps to have other forms of media on your side.
Which again, I expect to change once Nintendo Land opens, and the Mario movie comes out.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
This is the picture I've been seeing around the internet concerning Yokai Watch's current popularity in Japan

I'm not sure how true it exactly is. But it's been getting around
My local store was selling yokai watch merch at SEVENTY FIVE Percent off. I just had to buy one of em, and it's gummies. The gummies were stale and made me sick. Shame. I want a cat in smash for once. One that's adorable. So Incineroar wouldn't count

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Lets say yokai watch got in Smash but now it kinda fell into a niche state would they still keep the content or would they have to cut it in place for something else?

D

Deleted member

If they developed it, I don't see why they would remove it just because there was a dip in popularity. They spent time and resources into building the asset.

Anyway, I'm still working on updating the front page, but I got school and other real life things to attend to.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Lets say yokai watch got in Smash but now it kinda fell into a niche state would they still keep the content or would they have to cut it in place for something else?
They would still keep them. So who knows, they could be more popular in Smash and help the franchise.

Eternium

Smash Rookie
There are many franchises already in Smash that are considerably less successful and less popular than Yokai Watch. Yokai Watch has shipped around 15 Million games worldwide. That would put it above some franchises like Metroid, Bayonetta, Earthbound, etc.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
There are many franchises already in Smash that are considerably less successful and less popular than Yokai Watch. Yokai Watch has shipped around 15 Million games worldwide. That would put it above some franchises like Metroid, Bayonetta, Earthbound, etc.
Youre right. Before Smash and maybe Bayo2, it was Yokai watch niche. However it was owned by Sega and Nintendo so it didn't really matter. Bayo's 2nd party I believe. There's nothing that says unpopular and smaller franchises can be in smash yet.

Last edited:

Eternium

Smash Rookie
Youre right. Before Smash and maybe Bayo2, it was Yokai watch niche. However it was owned by Sega and Nintendo so it didn't really matter. Bayo's 2nd party I believe. There's nothing that says unpopular and smaller franchises can be in smash yet.
Keep in mind that Nintendo distributes the Yokai Watch games outside of Japan. On top of that, Yokai Watch actually has impressive sales and popularity overall - over 13M copies sold directly to consumers and 15M shipped, putting it above Star Fox, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, etc. Sure the popularity is waning, but its multimedia numbers are humongous and as a franchise, it still has very formidable numbers.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that Nintendo distributes the Yokai Watch games outside of Japan. On top of that, Yokai Watch actually has impressive sales and popularity overall - over 13M copies sold directly to consumers and 15M shipped, putting it above Star Fox, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, etc. Sure the popularity is waning, but its multimedia numbers are humongous and as a franchise, it still has very formidable numbers.
13m? More than FE? Im sold... however popularity is thr big issue. If development in 2016 is true his chance could be around a 40

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
As far as I'm aware; Jibanyan hasn't been deconfirmed. He could have a chance as DLC with a little push. Not as many characters as competition now.

Judd

Smash Rookie
Personally, I expect Yo-kai Watch content in the form of a boss and assist, much like Monster Hunter.
You surely have a good taste, Tom Nook and Jibanyan are my most desired newcomers.

I believe that Yo-kai Watch has sold enough copies to warrant a character and it's about time we get a playable cat into Smash! (Incineroar doesn't count he doesn't behave and attack like a cat). Plus, Jibanyan is super cute. Really hope Jibanyan and Komasan will find their way into Smash within the next games

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You surely have a good taste, Tom Nook and Jibanyan are my most desired newcomers.

I believe that Yo-kai Watch has sold enough copies to warrant a character and it's about time we get a playable cat into Smash! (Incineroar doesn't count he doesn't behave and attack like a cat). Plus, Jibanyan is super cute. Really hope Jibanyan and Komasan will find their way into Smash within the next games
you could argue that jibanyan doesnt act like a cat what with the fighting trucks

D

Deleted member

Right now I got a feeling that Nate, Whisper, and Jibanyan are going to be Spirits.

Worst case; this is the most we get.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Well, Sakurai said that the DLC characters are Nintendo's picks (???) which means Jibanyan has like a 40% chance for me. Nintendo really loves to try to push this... uhh franchise up and it's strange how such a dedicated company like Level 5 doesn't have a character in Smash at all. He gets a 40 because Professor Layton exists.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
They really went overboard on the Jibanyan clones. A few would have been fine (the fusions, Robonyan and even Sailornyan are fine) but why fruit and gems?!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Mind if I become a supporter? I've been a Yo-kai Watch fan for a while now, even though I haven't kept up with the series. Also, does anyone know where I can find a subbed version of Shadowside (the show, anyway)? The darker tone has gotten me curious about it.

D

Deleted member

Mind if I become a supporter? I've been a Yo-kai Watch fan for a while now, even though I haven't kept up with the series. Also, does anyone know where I can find a subbed version of Shadowside (the show, anyway)? The darker tone has gotten me curious about it.
Sure. I'll hook you up. Sorry I haven't done a good enough job with the upkeep as I originally promised; school life took over the past few months, not to mention legal proceedings.

As for the subs? I can't think of anything legal, sorry. I don't do any illegal sub anime.

Top Bottom