• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yo-kai Watch Mascot! (Jibanyan For Smash!) (Under New Management!)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Got some good news to spark discussion.

yokai Watch's next season will be dubbed and released July 7th for Disney XD. Just when I feared that Disney was pulling the plug after poor sales of the media.

Also, this new interview with Level-5 was released regarding the future of the yokai Watch franchise. It's worth a good watch.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
From what I’ve heard, Yokai Watch is doing much better in Europe. I’m looking forward to the Switch game.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Judging by how big it was in Japan during 2015 (when the plans for Ultimate were first made) and how the US and Europe know about it now, I still think we have a good shot at some Yo-kai representation.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
We finally get a real trailer for Yo-kai Watch 4 for the Switch. It appears to be a mix of multiple generations plus the protagonists of the upcoming movie.

I am quite looking forward to this. And just when I thought Level-5 shot themselves in the foot with a Shadowside game. They haven't forgotten about their main audience after all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
At least it seems Level-5 and NoA hasn't completely given up on yokai Watch just yet.

As or Jibanyan in Smash, it's looking less likely unless his massive ballot support in Japan would be enough to save him.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Yo-Kai Watch for my 3DS. I support!

D

Deleted member

Never played it before. But, I'm planning on getting Yo-Kai Watch for my 3DS. I support!
I have the Japanese Red Cat Buster's and played it. It'll be cool to listen to English dialogue.

Here's a summary of the game; the "Blasters" are an organization devoted to protecting Yo-kai from Terror Time, except they aren't strong enough. Miss Blizzaria hires Sgt. Burly to whip them into fighting shape while they explore strange phenomenon that could affect the human world and the world of the Yo-kai.

It's largely an asset recycler but is plenty of fun. I'm just hoping the "White Rabbit" expansion is already included, as that added additional stories (including Fu2, who'll probably be renamed "Plain Nate" or something) and bosses.

Not exactly what I had hoped for, but it's something.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I have the Japanese Red Cat Buster's and played it. It'll be cool to listen to English dialogue.

Here's a summary of the game; the "Blasters" are an organization devoted to protecting Yo-kai from Terror Time, except they aren't strong enough. Miss Blizzaria hires Sgt. Burly to whip them into fighting shape while they explore strange phenomenon that could affect the human world and the world of the Yo-kai.

It's largely an asset recycler but is plenty of fun. I'm just hoping the "White Rabbit" expansion is already included, as that added additional stories (including Fu2, who'll probably be renamed "Plain Nate" or something) and bosses.

Not exactly what I had hoped for, but it's something.
So, do they have starters? Like Pokemon?

D

Deleted member

Your starting team is Jibanyan, Noway, Hidabat, and Sandmeh, who stay together in the plot regardless of who you use. As you progress, you can either befriend Yo-Kai using a rhythm mini game, or complete specific chapters. Rudy is an unlockable character

Eternium

Smash Rookie
This is my most wanted character for Smash. Level-5 have been dedicated to the 3DS with the series and pulled PS3 support just for Nintendo. Nintendo owes them big time, especially after butchering their game releases.

Eternium

Smash Rookie
Yokai Watch Blasters is like Pokemon Rumble.

The regular Yokai Watch games don’t have starters in the sense that you get to pick one of three creatures and you can only get them at the beginning. In Yokai Watch 1, you get Buhu and Cadin before you battle - two very basic, common Yokai. In Yokai Watch 2, you are given Jibanyan, earn Brushido and then pick between Manjimutt, Tattletell or Roughraff (the closest time the series ever gets to Nintendo’s starters).

Graizen

Smash Champion
UP, becouse i think Agumon AND Jibanyan can join together.

A trailer for Him battling Pikachu and Agumon would be rad!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While Jibanyan isn't as likely right now; I still say he is one of my most wanted to join Smash Bros Ultimate. Maybe he could be DLC? Hopefully we can push him forward.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

One of the things that could help Jibanyan is if they factored in him around 2015, which was presumably when Ultimate's development began. Like, that was the peak of Yo-Kai Watch's popularity, as the second movie was out, and there was plenty of buzz surrounding Yo-Kai Watch 3 (which in my opinion is the "true" sequel to the original game) as to where they would go with the franchise.

Had Jibanyan been considered later than that, the outlook would have been grimmer given the meteoric plunge of the franchise's popularity due to oversaturation and lack of foresight on Level 5's behalf.

It's because of this and seeing Shovel Knight that I feel like Jibanyan may get in as an Assist Trophy, which sucks, but at the same time, it'd still be awesome to see him use the Paws of Fury on monstrous opponents like Bowser and Ridley.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If Jibanyan could only get in by being an Assist Trophy I'd be sad... but I could live with that.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a fan of the franchise anymore and I think it's kinda niche but oh man is Nintendo's twitter pushing Blasters so much. Maybe to push a possible Jibanyan reveal in a direct soon?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I wouldn't mind a Jibanyan AT at all. I feel the ballot could help to some extent since this was back when the series was big.

But seeing him as a fighter would be exciting.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind a Jibanyan AT at all. I feel the ballot could help to some extent since this was back when the series was big.

But seeing him as a fighter would be exciting.

I'd rather a character since we have ZERO cats yet we have a dog, a bird, and (according to Verg) ANOTHER dog. It's depressing as someone who wants to play as a cute anime kitty.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I'd rather a character since we have ZERO cats yet we have a dog, a bird, and (according to Verg) ANOTHER dog. It's depressing as someone who wants to play as a cute anime kitty.
I feel you, we DO need our fat chocolate bar eating cat at his best.

Doing more than just his Soultimate and actually fighting Pikachu too.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I feel you, we DO need our fat chocolate bar eating cat at his best.

Doing more than just his Soultimate and actually fighting Pikachu too.
I see Jibanyan as more of a rival to Cloud or Simon. Jibanyan isn't anything like Pikachu that's for sure. At least if we're talking character and not buisiness wise.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I see Jibanyan as more of a rival to Cloud or Simon. Jibanyan isn't anything like Pikachu that's for sure. At least if we're talking character and not buisiness wise.
I am wondering, how is he more of a rival for Cloud or Simon.

Becuase they kill monsters like him?

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I am wondering, how is he more of a rival for Cloud or Simon.

Becuase they kill monsters like him?

A lot of bosses in FF games have the undead/ghosts (even bosses) b one shotted by using a pheonix down. It's likely Cloud would see Jibanyan as a threat (for being a ghost monster) and try to find the best way to defeat him.

Simon belmont buries the dead back in the coffins they came from. Nuff said

if anything, Pikachu wouldn't attack on sight. At least I'd think.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
A lot of bosses in FF games have the undead/ghosts be killed by using a pheonix down. It's likely Cloud would see Jibanyan as a threat (for being a ghost monster) and try to find the best way to defeat him.

Simon belmont buries the dead back in the coffins they came from. Nuff said
Ah. Poor Jibanyan better run when he cross paths with these two.

Especially Cloud.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah and Luigi and his vacuum. At least Cloud or Simon would have a good chance of not seeing him as evil but Luigi will be tormented to the point of killing Jibanyan... Or he won't know Jibanyan's a ghost. Jibanyan doesn't look anything like a boo afterall.

Last edited:

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon trainer mistakes Jibanyan as a Pokemon and gets Squirtle out.... Yeah.

Samus, Any pokemon - Mewtwo, Peach, Kirby, Rosalina and Ness (maybe) are the characters in mind that don't see JIbanyan as evil.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pokemon trainer mistakes Jibanyan as a Pokemon and gets Squirtle out.... Yeah.

Samus, Any pokemon - Mewtwo, Peach, Kirby, Rosalina and Ness (maybe) are the characters in mind that don't see JIbanyan as evil.
True.

I would laugh hard if the Pokeball fails to hurt him since well, he's a yokai and not a Pokemon.

And you are right that everyone else wouldn't see him as evil.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Pikachu really is Jibanyan's rival though.

I could really imagine Pokemon Trainer trying to catch Jibanyan which would be funny to see.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Pikachu really is Jibanyan's rival though.

I could really imagine Pokemon Trainer trying to catch Jibanyan which would be funny to see.
Exactly, there is no other fitting rival than Pikachu since Jibanyan's home series was the closest thing to a competitor to Pokemon in Japan. It was that big of a deal.

Unfortnately, that leads to detractors saying "Yokai Watch is a dumb Pokemon clone" and Jibanyan is a "uglier alternative to Pikachu".

Can't blame BluePikmin when he quit being a part of the Pokemon fandom.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Exactly, there is no other fitting rival than Pikachu since Jibanyan's home series was the closest thing to a competitor to Pokemon in Japan. It was that big of a deal.

Unfortnately, that leads to detractors saying "Yokai Watch is a dumb Pokemon clone" and Jibanyan is a "uglier alternative to Pikachu".

Can't blame BluePikmin when he quit being a part of the Pokemon fandom.

Thing is I don't see them canonically hating each other at all, and it will drive negative retraction if it happens anyways. I heard The Pokemon Co. is pretty salty about the likes of YKW and Digimon so I don't see their rivaly happening, or them appearing on the same screen for that matter. Jibanyan is a lazy goofball who doesn't care about what's around him unless he needs to fight. Pikachu was always loyal and would do anything to help their masters. Unless Pikachu ends up being caught by the trainer and he ends up being forced to fight Jibanyan then I don't see any other way they end up rivals. If anything Pikachu would be forced to hate Jibanyan to make his trainer happy.

jibanyan isn't really hatable. I don't see him having a rival. MOre of people who mistake him for a bad guy. The more serious ones like Snake, Samus, and Marth would probably consider him a burden if anything. Youd have to be a demon/ghost slayer like Simon/Cloud or a true villian to see him as a threat.

People who have been mistooken for bad guys can still happen in Spirits mode (if it's a thing). It's not like we didn't have such a thing before.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Rival doesn't mean they hate each other. Pokemon Trainer Red and Blue are rivals. Mario and Sonic are rivals. Pikachu most likely could end up fighting Jibayan because Jibanyan stepped on his tail or pulled his cheeks.

If Jibanyan had a trailer it could feature Pikachu and how they meet and fight. Neither shown to be superior and end with them possibly being friends.

On another note: While it hasn't been confirmed that the new mode is called "Spirit" You know what I'm thinking if it is? ;):p

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Rival doesn't mean they hate each other. Pokemon Trainer Red and Blue are rivals. Mario and Sonic are rivals. Pikachu most likely could end up fighting Jibayan because Jibanyan stepped on his tail or pulled his cheeks.

If Jibanyan had a trailer it could feature Pikachu and how they meet and fight. Neither shown to be superior and end with them possibly being friends.

On another note: While it hasn't been confirmed that the new mode is called "Spirit" You know what I'm thinking if it is? ;):p

That might be better on both sides of the fandom and the companies.

Spirits mode... Hmm... if everyone's just gonna flipping die in that mode but JIbanyan is a spirit. What if Jibanyan was the one that becomes the MVP of the entire mode and takes who he is as an advantage and saves everyone else end game (like Sonic in SSE)?

Eternium

Smash Rookie
Someone should create a move set and a list of supporters for the OP.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
In most recent news: There will be a Nintendo Direct tomorrow (3 pm pacific 6 pm eastern) focusing on both the 3DS and Switch.

Could we see Yo-kai Watch 3 announced for the west? Could it be possible (unlikely) that Jibanyan is announced for Smash Ultimate?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
In most recent news: There will be a Nintendo Direct tomorrow (3 pm pacific 6 pm eastern) focusing on both the 3DS and Switch.

Could we see Yo-kai Watch 3 announced for the west? Could it be possible (unlikely) that Jibanyan is announced for Smash Ultimate?
At this point, I want all 3 major games in the West.

3 being left out would be the biggest waste ever.

Eternium

Smash Rookie
At this point, I want all 3 major games in the West.

3 being left out would be the biggest waste ever.
YW3 and Busters 2 really hurt Yokai’s momentum in Japan. I wouldn’t be mad if they just skipped them and released YW4 for Switch some time in the middle of next year for the Switch. The 3DS is dead in the U.S. and Europe so there’s no point in releasing 3DS games if they want to breakthrough.

D

Deleted member

YW3 and Busters 2 really hurt Yokai’s momentum in Japan. I wouldn’t be mad if they just skipped them and released YW4 for Switch some time in the middle of next year for the Switch. The 3DS is dead in the U.S. and Europe so there’s no point in releasing 3DS games if they want to breakthrough.
I don't see how Yo-Kai Watch 3 hurt the series. Busters 2 felt unnecessary, but I do agree that since we are at the very end of the lifespan of the 3DS, it would be a lousy idea to release Yo-Kai Watch 3 in 2019 in the West.

I may import Yo-Kai Watch 4 if it means I can play the majority of the game based upon the hero of my choosing. Although the game would be set largely in Shadowside, I would expect chapters to take place in Classic as well as the upcoming Friends Forever eras.

Eternium

Smash Rookie
I don't see how Yo-Kai Watch 3 hurt the series. Busters 2 felt unnecessary, but I do agree that since we are at the very end of the lifespan of the 3DS, it would be a lousy idea to release Yo-Kai Watch 3 in 2019 in the West.

I may import Yo-Kai Watch 4 if it means I can play the majority of the game based upon the hero of my choosing. Although the game would be set largely in Shadowside, I would expect chapters to take place in Classic as well as the upcoming Friends Forever eras.
The change in gameplay and scenery saw a huge decrease in sales for YW3. Busters 2 had a ton of bugs and glitches and ended up doing a fraction of what the original did. I would love to play both in English, but I’d much rather see the series become successful so it can continue.

I’m also going to be shipping at least one copy of YW4 Japanese. The series desperately needs our support and I’m sure I’ll have fun at least exploring even if I can’t understand the game.

Top Bottom