• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yo-kai Watch Mascot! (Jibanyan For Smash!) (Under New Management!)

D

Deleted member

Jibanyan for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Support Thread.
Who is Jibanyan?

Jibanyan is a Yo-Kai (or Spirit) from the Level 5 franchise, Yo-Kai Watch. The franchise, originally conceived for the PlayStation 3 console, was ported onto the Nintendo 3DS console.

(Under Construction)

Last edited by a moderator:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm a long time viewer and who after seeing the Switch Announcement decided to join.

I would love for Jibanyan for Smash. He would fit perfectly (No, I'm not going to go for the obvious pun). He has such potential for a great move set.

Anyone else agree that there is still hope for Jibanyan for Smash?

Edit: Yo-kai Watch 4 has just been announced for the Switch! This may increase Jibanyan's chances to appear in Smash Bros! (at least for DLC:grin:)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I would love to have Yokai Watch representation and Jibanyan is perfect. There was a similar topic here, but it proposed the idea of Nate fighting with various Yokai instead of just JIbanyan.

Also, I would recommend having a template for a better OP. Stuff like who Jibanyan is, why he would fit Smash, and maybe a moveset (though that's pretty optional).

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'd rather Jibayan be on his own like Pikachu. I wouldn't mind Nate being playable like Pokemon Trainer at some point. If we got Nate I'd say Komasan and Whisper should be the ones with him.

Imagine Pikachu vs Jibanyan! I really think that would be awesome.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd rather Jibayan be on his own like Pikachu. I wouldn't mind Nate being playable like Pokemon Trainer at some point. If we got Nate I'd say Komasan and Whisper should be the ones with him.

Imagine Pikachu vs Jibanyan! I really think that would be awesome.
Indeed, that would be a fight worth seeing in Smash.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I still support Jibanyan.

Since he will play a major role in the 2020 Japanese Olympics and the anime/games are still going strong, now is the time for the Bakeneko Yokai to have his chance to be in Smash.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I still support Jibanyan.

Since he will play a major role in the 2020 Japanese Olympics and the anime/games are still going strong, now is the time for the Bakeneko Yokai to have his chance to be in Smash.
Really? The 2020 Olympics? I didn't even know that. That's really cool!

I'm not good with concepts for move sets but, I'd like him to use the Inspirit ability somehow. Also Paws of Fury could be his Final Smash but, I'd like something a bigger be used. What about his other Soultimates?

I've seen people say that Jibanyan should use Whisper in his move set but, I'd rather him and Whisper kept separate.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I hope that bringing this back isn't an issue.

Jibanyan is getting high up in the Nominations so, I'm hoping to see more Yo-kai Watch fans! :grin:

Let's hope that Jibanyan gets into Smash!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I had a thought that Jibanyan could use the Pin in combat.

For those that don't remember the Pin is used to target a particular Yo-kai. This can be used with the Inspirit ability. Imagine for a moment that Jibanyan throws a Pin at an opponent which allows the Inspirit ability to be used on the target . The Pin could act as a guarantee hit with just about any ranged ability like Jibanyan's fire attacks or Inspirit.

Inspirit on an enemy can act as a slowing or even sleeping effect. (In Yo-kai Watch Jibanyan's Inspirit effect causes enemies to "loaf") If Jibanyan Inspirits himself he can get a buff.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to have a Yo-Kai rep for SSB! Americans might not care much about it, but it's still pretty big in Japan, which should help its chances.

Should Jibanyan be playable, being pretty much the series mascot, I feel like he might need the help of a few other Yo-kai. He could have either Whisper as a two-in-one team or several different Yo-kai that pop in an out of visibility for certain attacks.

If he's teamed up with just Whisper, their Final Smash could be fusing into Buchinyan and pummeling an opponent with the Flurry of Fury. If he has a bunch of Yo-kai helping out, his Final Smash could be dragging one or more opponents into the Terror Time dimension, where Gargaros clobbers them.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'd rather it just be Jibanyan. Whisper in my opinion would take away too much focus on Jibanyan. It's not like Pikachu has to share.

At best I'd have Whisper be something like a recovery move or a quick one move summon.

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather it just be Jibanyan. Whisper in my opinion would take away too much focus on Jibanyan. It's not like Pikachu has to share.

At best I'd have Whisper be something like a recovery move or a quick one move summon.
A Whisper recovery might work. I'm just playing with the idea of him being teamed up with others because I have a hard time coming up with a moveset otherwise.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While I can't think of a full moveset or what buttons do what moves I have a few ideas.

Basic punches, kicks, scratches, tail whips, headbutts, bites, etc. would likely be his basic attacks.

For Specials; Fire skills, Pin, Inspirit Enemy, Inspirit Self, and maybe Whisper as a Recovery.

Final Smash: Soultimate

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, looking at other threads I realize that my opening post isn't very creative. If anyone wants to take over and add some nice pictures and all the fan fair that Jibanyan deserves let me know.

D

Deleted member

I'll try to add my information about potential moves and whatnot, but I will be focusing on Classic Jibanyan instead of Shadowside Jibanyan because he's much more familiar to the masses.

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
If he's teamed up with just Whisper, their Final Smash could be fusing into Buchinyan and pummeling an opponent with the Flurry of Fury. If he has a bunch of Yo-kai helping out, his Final Smash could be dragging one or more opponents into the Terror Time dimension, where Gargaros clobbers them.
Thats a great idea :D

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'll try to add my information about potential moves and whatnot, but I will be focusing on Classic Jibanyan instead of Shadowside Jibanyan because he's much more familiar to the masses.
Classic Jibanyan fits the style of Smash Bros. better anyway.

I hope we see the first trailer for Yo-kai Watch 4 at E3!

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
Classic Jibanyan fits the style of Smash Bros. better anyway.

I hope we see the first trailer for Yo-kai Watch 4 at E3!
That and going by when Sakurai likely decided on the roster (possibly mid-2016, from what I've been gathering), there's very little chance he would've known about Shadowside Jibanyan in time for this game.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I hate that they're trying to turn Yo-kai Watch darker. It doesn't need to be.

Edit: I really hope Yo-kai Watch 4 isn't the darker version. If it is I'm not buying it. Edit: It appears to be called Shadow Side. Which means they are going darker.....:mad::(

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Thank you! I didn't know anyone was left to support poor Jibanyan. He really deserves to be in Smash!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I hate that they're trying to turn Yo-kai Watch darker. It doesn't need to be.

Edit: I really hope Yo-kai Watch 4 isn't the darker version. If it is I'm not buying it. Edit: It appears to be called Shadow Side. Which means they are going darker.....:mad::(
Sadly, that's the case of them wanting to try something different for more sales. Given the sales drop and negative fan reaction to the movie in Japan, I hope this doesn't backfire and kill the franchise.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
My hope is that if this "darker version" flops they will bring Yo-kai Watch 1 to the Switch before they'd think to can the franchise.

D

Deleted member

Sadly, that's the case of them wanting to try something different for more sales. Given the sales drop and negative fan reaction to the movie in Japan, I hope this doesn't backfire and kill the franchise.
This could be a New Coke situation where the backlash of Shadowside causes them to about face and bring back Classic.

I get the concern, but I feel oversaturation was why popularity declined, not because it was too "light" and not aging properly. It's a 6 year old franchise.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I somewhat agree. I think they also didn't take time to really figure out how Yokai should be designed. Just turning anything they could into a creature and calling that a "Yokai". Not to mention way too many Cat Yokai to imitate the success of Jibanyan. A few were fine but they went way over board.

The first Yokai Watch should have been the one to bring to the Switch. Right now they seem to be in a panic throwing anything and everything at the wall hoping it will stick. At least that's how this "Shadowside" looks to me. A sign of desperation. They need to calm down, look at what worked and improve it.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I can't tell you how much I hate the Shadowside redesigns. They need to keep that nonsense as far away from Yokai Watch as possible!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I can't tell you how much I hate the Shadowside redesigns. They need to keep that nonsense as far away from Yokai Watch as possible!
On the bright side, a new yokai Watch film was just announced and it seems to be going back to the goofy designs that we all know and love.

I guess Level-5 had acted fast in response to the negative reception of the Shadowcide movie and game.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is the picture I've been seeing around the internet concerning Yokai Watch's current popularity in Japan

I'm not sure how true it exactly is. But it's been getting around

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Considering Bomberman, there is the likelihood that Jibanyan could be an Assist Trophy in the game, utilizing Paws of Fury.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I thought anime/ manga character threads weren't allowed?

The Manga came out in 2012 and the game released in 2013.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
On the bright side, a new yokai Watch film was just announced and it seems to be going back to the goofy designs that we all know and love.

I guess Level-5 had acted fast in response to the negative reception of the Shadowcide movie and game.
I don't think there was a game based on Shadowside besides the upcoming YW4. Just the movie and anime of what I've found.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
The manga came out to promote the upcoming video game. He is a video game character.
Yokai watch was created with the purpose and intent to be a multi-media franchise (manga, anime, video game, toy, etc)
It was never just specifically only a video game.
However, the manga did exist before the game.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Pokemon could also be considered a multi media franchise as well. I don't think Jibanyan is in the same vein as Goku. More the same vein as Pikachu.

D

Deleted member

Hello Yo-Kai Watch fans, been plying a lot of Yo-Kai Watch lately, the original at least. My love for the series has come roaring back, and I adore it as much as ever, charm, hilarity, and fun. It may not ever be as big in the west as Japan, but it rocks, don't know his chances but Jibnyan has my support as always!

Top Bottom