• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wrestling Thread

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So Wrestlemania is about 7 hours away. Who here is excited? Personally, I'm only excited because I have a friend coming over to watch it and critique it with me. Anyone else?

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I'm quite satisfied with the outcome of this Wrestlemania. I just don't get the outcome of the Battle Royal or Sting vs HHH. I mean, I guess I get the outcome of Sting vs HHH, since HHH buries people better than anyone else. Somewhat predictable all-around, but it was a satisfying Mania.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It makes sense considering WCW has been beating by WWF. Vince and Trips just want to rub their egos on beating Sting, to where I thought the match went horrible because of the randomness from DX and NWO (except seeing HBK back)

But I am not surprised that Rollins cashed in, but DAMN that was an incredible way to end WrestleMania

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'll admit, I fan-girled when nWo and DX came out onto the ring. Actually, my friend and I both fan-girled. The ladder match was awesome, but it felt really short compared to other ladder matches. Randy Orton vs. Rollins was really awesome, and that counter at the end of the match made my friend's jaw drop, and me completely in shock at the awesomeness. Cena vs. Rusev was forgettable, and I'm pretty upset that Cena didn't turn heel or anything to get the win, which pissed me off even more, since now that Rusev is defeated, there's a chance he'll be cast aside into obscurity a la Ryback. Taker vs. Wyatt was actually quite slow, and nowhere near as good as I had hoped. Taker won, which is nice, but the fact is that with Taker's streak having been F5'd last year, there's hardly a point for him to continue. The main event was actually looking to be somewhat (and I stress the word, "somewhat") of a squash match, but then Reigns started picking up steam and stuff, but then Rollins came in and cashed in, winning the championship title. I have to say that I'm bummed Lesnar lost his title, but am glad Reigns didn't win it at all.

Overall, it wasn't a bad Wrestlemania. Not the best by any means, but it was pretty good. Oh, and I didn't bother talking about the Divas match, because those matches are almost always forgettable.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I was left with a really good impression of Rusev. He worked a bunch of squash matches throughout his career, so I could never say that he was good enough to be a serious character in the long run. However Rusev did play his role as a power wrestler and ground-based wrestler well. He also did something unexpected and that was delivering a flying headbutt halfway across the ring. I'm betting he and Daniel Bryan will be feuding for the IC title.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
The match wasn't boring, if that's what you're asking.
No, I mean did it end as every Cena match seems to these days (ie: he suddenly gets a second wind and does the Five Moves of Doom to snatch a win out of nowhere)?

At least he didn't get a World title this time, because that's another trend for Cena I've gotten sick of; winning the World title at a big-name even like Wrestlemania or the Royal Rumble. :p

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I still think his RKO at Wrestlemania 21 was the best. Taker should have lost then and there. It would have put Orton beyond the top.

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I also didn't see Triple H VS Sting, but from what I've heard Sting got burried. Not surprising considering the McMahon ego, but still... :p
Well, I've thought about this for a while... but why should Sting have won? He held out from the WWE for 14 years, fearing he'd be mistreated. He opted out of his contract after WCW was purchased, essentially telling WWE, "No, I don't want to be part of your company." He did indy shows for a while before joining TNA, which eventually became a "competitor" of the WWE. So now WWE is pitted against Sting twice. So now Sting comes here to WWE, 14 years after resisting the WWE out of ill-concocted fears. You look at stars like Goldberg, Booker T and Rey Mysterio and realize they were part of WCW and became world champions in WWE. So Sting's fears were somewhat irrational.

WWE doesn't owe him anything. He isn't entitled to a Wrestlemania victory just because he's Sting.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Well, I've thought about this for a while... but why should Sting have won? He held out from the WWE for 14 years, fearing he'd be mistreated. He opted out of his contract after WCW was purchased, essentially telling WWE, "No, I don't want to be part of your company." He did indy shows for a while before joining TNA, which eventually became a "competitor" of the WWE. So now WWE is pitted against Sting twice. So now Sting comes here to WWE, 14 years after resisting the WWE out of ill-concocted fears. You look at stars like Goldberg, Booker T and Rey Mysterio and realize they were part of WCW and became world champions in WWE. So Sting's fears were somewhat irrational.

WWE doesn't owe him anything. He isn't entitled to a Wrestlemania victory just because he's Sting.
I'm not saying he deserved a win, of course; I'm just saying that I'm in no way surprised at what the McMahons did with him. :p

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
I'm not saying he deserved a win, of course; I'm just saying that I'm in no way surprised at what the McMahons did with him. :p
I gotcha. Yeah, did you read about what Vince said about Sting? If not, I'll just tell you. He said in a post-Mania phone conference that he brought Sting back from obscurity. What a load of crap.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I gotcha. Yeah, did you read about what Vince said about Sting? If not, I'll just tell you. He said in a post-Mania phone conference that he brought Sting back from obscurity. What a load of crap.
Yeah, McMahon's always been like that; I mean, he hired Ultimo Dragon merely because he wanted more high-fliers like Rey without looking at Ultimo Dragon's fighting style.

And let's not forget that he had to approve the Katie Vick angle, as well... :p

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
Lets change things up for a second. I have a question to ask... which character was better? Kerwin White or Simon Dean? If you don't know about one or either of them, I will tell you a little bit about them.

Simon Dean
Had the gimmick of an informercial fitness instructor. He would constantly fat shame people and push his product on shows. What was neat was how they did the vignette for Simon Dean before RAW would return from commercial breaks. He came out on a scooter. Would occasionally use his products to cheat and steal wins.

Kerwin White
Had the gimmick of a sophisticated white American. He implied that he was a positive role model for people in an era when everyone had a negative influence on people. He was caricatured as a racist and valued white people over anyone else. He came out in a golf cart.

I thought Kerwin White's gimmick was definitely more edgy, since he basically race-baited the audience. Simon Dean's gimmick however was played perfectly. He had the voice, the mannerisms and the attitude of a fat-shaming fitness instructor. It's a tough call.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Lets change things up for a second. I have a question to ask... which character was better? Kerwin White or Simon Dean? If you don't know about one or either of them, I will tell you a little bit about them.

Simon Dean
Had the gimmick of an informercial fitness instructor. He would constantly fat shame people and push his product on shows. What was neat was how they did the vignette for Simon Dean before RAW would return from commercial breaks. He came out on a scooter. Would occasionally use his products to cheat and steal wins.

Kerwin White
Had the gimmick of a sophisticated white American. He implied that he was a positive role model for people in an era when everyone had a negative influence on people. He was caricatured as a racist and valued white people over anyone else. He came out in a golf cart.

I thought Kerwin White's gimmick was definitely more edgy, since he basically race-baited the audience. Simon Dean's gimmick however was played perfectly. He had the voice, the mannerisms and the attitude of a fat-shaming fitness instructor. It's a tough call.
Definitely Simon Dean. If you're gonna do cheesy, and do cheesy right, then I'm automatically a fan. I have a bit of a soft spot for Bo Dallas for that same reason, among other cheese balls.

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
What do you mean pal? Of course he saved Sting from obscurity. WCW was a sinking sink. The Monday Night Wars were totally in the hands of WWE. I mean, it said so in the doc on the WWE Network.

Top Bottom