• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wind-Waking Princess, Toon Zelda for Smash Ultimate

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I will support anyone who was in the Forbidden Seven. I believe in second chances.

KoalaNut

Smash Rookie
Support. But I do think she could be more than an echo character like some people I've talked to think she would be. I think she could behave similar to Brawl Sheik, but with Toon Zelda and Tetra. I liked Brawl Sheik with the character switching mechanic with Zelda and Sheik and I think that same playstyle could be captured with Toon Zelda. Then again, there are two major cons to this, Relevancy and the return of Pokemon Trainer. Toon Zelda and Tetra haven't been relevant in a while, and one of Sakurai's four requirements to be in smash is relevancy. Another thing being we already have a character that has a switching mechanic in the form of Pokemon Trainer's return, but then again Pokemon Trainer was introduced in Brawl where the Zelda/Sheik hybrid was introduced so it doesn't really seem farfetched.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Support. But I do think she could be more than an echo character like some people I've talked to think she would be. I think she could behave similar to Brawl Sheik, but with Toon Zelda and Tetra. I liked Brawl Sheik with the character switching mechanic with Zelda and Sheik and I think that same playstyle could be captured with Toon Zelda. Then again, there are two major cons to this, Relevancy and the return of Pokemon Trainer. Toon Zelda and Tetra haven't been relevant in a while, and one of Sakurai's four requirements to be in smash is relevancy. Another thing being we already have a character that has a switching mechanic in the form of Pokemon Trainer's return, but then again Pokemon Trainer was introduced in Brawl where the Zelda/Sheik hybrid was introduced so it doesn't really seem farfetched.
To be fair, Toon Zelda did receive her own amiibo not too long ago, and Link got her Phantom armor as a costume in Breath of the Wild (if that counts) not to mention she was a DLC character for Hyrule Warriors Legends and one of the characters used to advertise the New 3DS. She's still fairly relevant and well promoted.

I don't think she'd be anything like Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy as far as echoes go though as her proportions would require some alterations from Zelda. Sakurai stated that the reason he removed any kick based attacks from Toon Link's moveset was due to the fact that his legs where to short to do much with outside of a Judo styled backthrow. I'd imagine the same would apply for Toon Zelda as well, and since Zelda had a lot more kick based attacks compared to Link, that would already put Toon Zelda into the semi clone category. (Not to mention the difference in speed, weight and strength etc.)

As for her special moves, I don't know if they would be too different from Zelda's, though I can see them try and make the Phantom Slash a bit more accurate for Toon Zelda. Due to her being shorter than Zelda, she could very well put herself directly into the Phantom for a short moment and then cancel it as soon as she no longer needs it. It would probably make for a decent additional recovery option at the very least.

Last edited:

KoalaNut

Smash Rookie
To be fair, Toon Zelda did receive her own amiibo not too long ago, and Link got her Phantom armor as a costume in Breath of the Wild (if that counts) not to mention she was a DLC character for Hyrule Warriors Legends and one of the characters used to advertise the New 3DS. She's still fairly relevant and well promoted.

I don't think she'd be anything like Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy as far as echoes go though as her proportions would require some alterations from Zelda. Sakurai stated that the reason he removed any kick based attacks from Toon Link's moveset was due to the fact that his legs where to short to do much with outside of a Judo styled backthrow. I'd imagine the same would apply for Toon Zelda as well, and since Zelda had a lot more kick based attacks compared to Link, that would already put Toon Zelda into the semi clone category. (Not to mention the difference in speed, weight and strength etc.)

As for her special moves, I don't know if they would be too different from Zelda's, though I can see them try and make the Phantom Slash a bit more accurate for Toon Zelda. Due to her being shorter than Zelda, she could very well put herself directly into the Phantom for a short moment and then cancel it as soon as she no longer needs it. It would probably make for a decent additional recovery option at the very least.
I don't think she'd be an echo fighter of Zelda, like I said. I think she could be more than that, like the Tetra combo I mentioned. Just like Toon Link isn't an echo of Link, Toon Zelda should follow the same principle.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
If we get Tetra then I'd want Toon Zelda to go along with her, one is not without the other so I do support!

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
This thread is for her to be playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, right?
Yes, that was the idea. However since the game has a small number of newcomers, I don't expect to become playable anymore. Oh well, I'm happy with what I've seen of it regardless.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes, that was the idea. However since the game has a small number of newcomers, I don't expect to become playable anymore. Oh well, I'm happy with what I've seen of it regardless.
I mean, I suppose there is a possibility that Sakurai might want to revive some old planned characters that he wanted to include in the past along with past veterans. So we could potentially see the likes of Dixie Kong, the Rythm Heaven character and Toon Zelda be given a second chance for Smash Ultimate.

Just replace Toon Sheik with Tetra and we're cool.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'll admit that without a new Zelda moveset based on BotW, or really any change to most of her moves, I'm less excited for a potential Toon Zelda (aside from potentially being more viable form of my main), but I am still all on board for Tetra. Does she have her own thread or is this for both?

Edit: I also think that with Zelda and Ganondorf taking on the looks and art styles of different games it's less likely for a new Zelda to double down on a look that's already represented.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'll admit that without a new Zelda moveset based on BotW, or really any change to most of her moves, I'm less excited for a potential Toon Zelda (aside from potentially being more viable form of my main), but I am still all on board for Tetra. Does she have her own thread or is this for both?

Edit: I also think that with Zelda and Ganondorf taking on the looks and art styles of different games it's less likely for a new Zelda to double down on a look that's already represented.
I mean, we have Young Link and Ganondorf based off Ocarina of Time and Link and Sheik based off Breath of the Wild so that isn't entirely true. Plus Toon Zelda in terms of character, voice and personality would probably be based more off her Spirit Tracks incarnation as that seems to be the one Nintendo seems to favor for her these days.

And yes, Tetra has her own thread, check the character support thread directory.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I mean, we have Young Link and Ganondorf based off Ocarina of Time and Link and Sheik based off Breath of the Wild
it's less likely for a new Zelda

new
Also YL doesn't have any other design unless they were to change him to his ALttP/ALBW design and count that as YL, which it kinda isn't and doesn't solve the issue of doubling up. Shiek also only has one canonical design which is OoT, which also double's up. They could have kept them as TP but it wouldn't make sense for them to represent a game they weren't actually a part of.

Though that's fair if Spirit Tracks has much change, I don't have much to reference about it since my DS broke sometime around 2008...although it doesn't change my point much since Tink's design is pretty much for that whole series of games.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They could have given Young Link the Sword, shield and weaponry from Majora's Mask in order to separate the two. Sheik for whatever reason has the Sheikah armor set from Breath of the Wild rather than reverting back to her canonical Ocarina of Time design, though that would put the Ocarina cast up to three, but then we'd be back as to why not give Young Link the Majora's Mask weaponry.

Eitherway, I don't think Sakurai cares too much about having every single Zelda character represent completely different games, otherwise he would have done a little better job with that. I do appreciate that they aren't completely slaving themselves to a single game again as they where doing in the past. With Toon Link being the only exception.

As for wether Toon Link represents all of the Toon games or just Wind Waker, It's a bit hard to tell, considering the fact that conductor Link gets replaced regardless of which Link is fighting there.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Eitherway, I don't think Sakurai cares too much about having every single Zelda character represent completely different games, otherwise he would have done a little better job with that. I do appreciate that they aren't completely slaving themselves to a single game again as they where doing in the past. With Toon Link being the only exception.
I'm not saying that they are, but that adding a clone who only represents one character in a different art style is a completely different matter if they've been spreading out their representation. Even if she's not a clone she's still based on being 'Zelda from WW/PH/ST' when they didn't even change Tink to be more accurate to those games when they added a 3rd Link that plays just like him.

She just seems *very* unlikely to me at this point as much as I think she'd be alright.

Last edited:

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
You know that i have a few ideas of what Toon Zelda can use like for her final smash as for sheik or zelda they took out there final smash from when they had the bow of light so why not give it to Toon Zelda and from hyrule warriors her phantom look could be taken from that so people won't get confused from zelda' s down Special and i thank it will work out well

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know that i have a few ideas of what Toon Zelda can use like for her final smash as for sheik or zelda they took out there final smash from when they had the bow of light so why not give it to Toon Zelda and from hyrule warriors her phantom look could be taken from that so people won't get confused from zelda' s down Special and i thank it will work out well
Toon Zelda was the first to use Light Arrows in the Zelda games (Yes OoT Zelda gave you the light arrows but she never used it herself) And It's still most commonly used by her during final battles. So I can see her inheriting that move for a Final Smash now that Zelda no longer has it, yes.

I know echo's are the new cool and hip thing, but if Sakurai is still interested in incorporating a semi-clone or two. I think he should revisit Toon Zelda and Dixie Kong again from the Brawl days for just that as I feel like he can do a bit more with them. (Plus he reincorporated Battle Damage and Ditto so he's certainly looking back at some old idea's again that he couldn't incorporate in the past)

Last edited:

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
Yes and as Toon Zelda can use light arrows she can also use phantom attack' s to her advantage as for Dixie Kong she can be a clone of Diddy Kong but with different technique Style

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah, actually thinking about it now, if Toon Zelda does inherit the light arrow for her Final Smash. It would make a nice compliment if she was drawn next to Toon Link on the site banner as he's drawing his Bow and Arrow too. Of course, not that the site banner means anything but yeah.

Last edited:

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
Also it is highly possible that Toon Zelda and Dixie Kong will make it to smash because as Sakura is trying to put every fighter in the game and at the end of his character announcement he said that he will have more fighter' s announce later on in the game

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, I always found it interesting how Nintendo tends to lowkey promote Toon Zelda from time to time. First it was her appearance in the Nintendo Starlette's Streetpass puzzle despite there being another Zelda there, then her being included in the New 3DS advert among other Nintendo characters. Then she also got her own Nendoroid figure and amiibo too. (Not to mention her appearance in Hyrule Warriors) Plus her Phantom armour in Breath of the Wild.

She may not be as heavily promoted as the likes of Ashley or Isabelle, but Its an interesting thing to note regardless. Last I heard she was pretty popular in Japan, so maybe that's why?

Last edited:

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
Count me in as a supporter, Windwaker is my favorite Zelda of all time any new rep from it is welcomed, I always thought they could change her neutral b to Toon Links neutral b and make it look like a light arrow.

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
i just had another grate idea as we want Toon Zelda then making her an semi clone to Zelda why not have Hilda as a clone of Zelda every fighter has there own Dark and Light clone and some even have three or two versions of them self's and as people think that she has a color of Hilda she dose not her hair is completely different and her hair is gray plus her final smash could be similar to dark pit's just a bit different and her attacks can be like Zelda's But a bit darker.:ultzelda:

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
I feel like the LoZ characters could do well being the "transform" subgroup of the roster - of which Toon Zelda/Tetra could be no different:

Tetra
  • B: Charges up musket, which fires a shotgun like blast of water in a short cone around it. Holding charge allows Tetra to aim while making her stationary. At max charge, blast can be used to jump if aimed downward. Can charge in the air.
  • Side B: The prow of her ship appears and she ride the front of it for a short distance. Using this in the air has the ship prow fall out in front of her, and Tetra not really move.
  • Up B: Load herself into a cannon, quickly choose a direction in a 90 degree upwards facing arc, and fires off a moment later. Not unlike Diddy Kong's backpack, but no charge time, less arc control, and somewhat middling range.
  • Down B: Transform
Toon Zelda
  • B: Charges Bow of Light, which has 3 levels. Much like the musket, stationary while charging but can aim. Level 1 has an arc, level 2 has no arc, and level 3 bounces off up to 2 surfaces. Higher level, longer ending lag.
  • Side B: Does a short hop as she gets into Phantom Armor and rolls forward. Phantom Armor lasts for 25%, takes 0.85x as much damage, adds damage to Toon Zeldas A moves, but makes her slower in attacks/movement, and heavier. If already in armor, no hop/lag.
  • Up B: Much like Normal Zelda, teleports, but teleports into/refreshes Phantom Armor if B button is held.

Last edited:

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
Than the cannon as her up B why not the swiping slashes that the mii sword fighter has and she can use her water pistol and pirate sword as her up B and the cannon can be like Luigi' s side B as a side blast to get on stage or for attacks

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
i just had another grate idea as we want Toon Zelda then making her an semi clone to Zelda why not have Hilda as a clone of Zelda every fighter has there own Dark and Light clone and some even have three or two versions of them self's and as people think that she has a color of Hilda she dose not her hair is completely different and her hair is gray plus her final smash could be similar to dark pit's just a bit different and her attacks can be like Zelda's But a bit darker.:ultzelda:
Hilda as an echo of Zelda could be interesting. Although given the echoes have been fan requests (minus Richter maybe) so I don't think it'll happen given Hilda wasn't really requested.

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
I feel like the LoZ characters could do well being the "transform" subgroup of the roster - of which Toon Zelda/Tetra could be no different:

Tetra
  • B: Charges up musket, which fires a shotgun like blast of water in a short cone around it. Holding charge allows Tetra to aim while making her stationary. At max charge, blast can be used to jump if aimed downward. Can charge in the air.
  • Side B: The prow of her ship appears and she ride the front of it for a short distance. Using this in the air has the ship prow fall out in front of her, and Tetra not really move.
  • Up B: Load herself into a cannon, quickly choose a direction in a 90 degree upwards facing arc, and fires off a moment later. Not unlike Diddy Kong's backpack, but no charge time, less arc control, and somewhat middling range.
Toon Zelda
  • B: Charges Bow of Light, which has 3 levels. Much like the musket, stationary while charging but can aim. Level 1 has an arc, level 2 has no arc, and level 3 bounces off up to 2 surfaces. Higher level, longer ending lag.
  • Side B: Does a short hop as she gets into Phantom Armor and rolls forward. Phantom Armor lasts for 25%, takes 0.85x as much damage, adds damage to Toon Zeldas A moves, but makes her slower in attacks/movement, and heavier. If already in armor, no hop/lag.
  • Up B: Much like Normal Zelda, teleports, but teleports into/refreshes Phantom Armor if B button is held.
I never really thought about Sakurai having them transform into each other given Zelda and Sheik are still sperate (though they have different designs from different games) would be neat to see another transforming character. I like your ideas for the specials too.

Jakisthe

Smash Cadet
Than the cannon as her up B why not the swiping slashes that the mii sword fighter has and she can use her water pistol and pirate sword as her up B and the cannon can be like Luigi' s side B as a side blast to get on stage or for attacks
Hmm - I didn't want her Up B to be a sword uppercut; I feel like those are super common, whereas Diddy's move - an accelerating rocketing arc move with an explosion on launch - is comparatively less common. I also wanted to have her use her ship in some way, but make her somewhat stronger on the ground while still allowing for a relatively unique projectile - diagonally down - in the air.

I never really thought about Sakurai having them transform into each other given Zelda and Sheik are still sperate (though they have different designs from different games) would be neat to see another transforming character. I like your ideas for the specials too.
Oh sure - the Zelda characters are *ripe* for it. If I had my pick, the roster would be:
Link
Masked Link (with all 3 masks)
Zelda w/ Shiek Transform (although maybe keep separate?)
Tetra w/ Toon Zelda Transform
Ganondorf w/ timed-but-otherwise-irreversible Ganon transform

That would give the whole depth of transform character archetypes and make sense given all the history of those characters, Alas, here we are, with 3 Links, Zelda, Shiek, and a Falcon clone...

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
Please do not post multiple times in a row. Edit your messages instead.

Characters that should be in super smash bros ultimate

I tried to get hilda,dixie kong,and Toon Zelda's but the only one I got was one of the characters that should be in Smash witch is Vaati

Link Warrior Gamer

Smash Rookie
Characters that should be in super smash bros ultimate

hilda,dixie kong,Toon Zelda,and vatti characters that should be in Smash ultimate

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, with Isabelle confirming that semi clones are still a thing. I'd say Toon Zelda is in a better position now as a potential character for Smash Ultimate.

I'd like to see her revealed along with the confirmation of Toon Link having the conductors outfit as an alt.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Toon Zelda in the phantom would make a perfect Ganondorf Echo. The moveset fits her better than it does ganondorf!

NukeA6

Smash Master
If I'm supporting Hilda, I really should support this one too. Add me to the list. Except there's no support list. Oh well, just know that I will support any form of Zelda. Smash Bros Brawl and Skyward Sword made that happen.

Last edited:

ShadowKoopa

Smash Rookie
Well, with Isabelle confirming that semi clones are still a thing. I'd say Toon Zelda is in a better position now as a potential character for Smash Ultimate.

I'd like to see her revealed along with the confirmation of Toon Link having the conductors outfit as an alt.
I still don't think she'd be likely even knowing semi-clones can still be a thing personally. I'm basically 99% confident she won't be in.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I still don't think she'd be likely even knowing semi-clones can still be a thing personally. I'm basically 99% confident she won't be in.
Eh I guess it remains to be seen if we get at least one or two more semi clones along too.
I still think she has a better shot than Hilda though as far as a potential Zelda clone go though as she did have some support and promotion from Nintendo far before we knew of Zelda's new design. Plus was previously planned in at least Brawl.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's criminal that Toon Zelda isn't already in the game. I want my Toon Zelda amiibo to have a greater use than giving be shields in BotW. I hope she gets in and I support this thread!

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
You might hate me but to see toon Zelda I would want her in her ghost look. Be more interesting tbh her floating around as a ghost

Tetra should be her own fighter. She’s good enough on her own.

Like I see toon Zelda and Sheik as their own individuals more so I do Zelda and Sheik.

Last edited:
Top Bottom