• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The WiiShop is closing!

How do you feel about the WiiShop closing?

• Total voters

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
That's right, the Wii's WiiShop is closing entirely, and any ability to purchase games ends sometime in March. This means that soon enough, no one will be able to purchase games from the WiiShop or add points to their account.

Let's post some of our favorite games so we can buy some great titles before that opportunity is lost. Be sure to put the title of the game along with a brief description of why it's worth buying. Also, add the system it is on if you remember.

Paper Mario (64) — definitely one of the best games out there. Great storyline, partners, and is super fun to play again and again. Probably one of my favorite games of all time. A must-download if you haven't already.

Mario Party 2 (64) — fun game to play with friends! The minigames are pretty unique and I'd say it's a lot better and original than the Mario Party titles nowadays.

Pokémon Snap (64) — not a game with the most depth I'd say, but something about getting just the right pictures of your favorite Pokémon to put in your Album is really nice. If you have spare points, this one's a good one.

Super Mario 64 (64)
— obviously a classic. Lots of content, up to four files, and has a ton of replayability value. Definitely worth downloading onto your Wii while you still can.

Bomberman Blast (Wii) — this game is surprisingly fun to play with friends. I wasn't expecting much from it but it's actually a lot better than I thought it would have been. It's considered to be one of the better Bomberman games.

Smash Bros. (64) — duh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've never purchased anything from the WiiShop before nor do I plan to, though buying some of the DLC for Smash 4 was a happy, first-time experience to me. You see, the games I've come to love (original Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Mario Party 2, etc.) I'm used to playing on their console of origin. And they did not have Mario Party 3 in the shop, which I think is unfortunate since that installment appealed to me more than the two Mario Parties before it.

Sayonara :kirby:

The Smash Nerd II.0.

Smash Journeyman
User was warned for this post
Nintendo Wi-Fi died. So it was time anyway.

PS: I have some of the games on my emulations

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
The fact that the Wii Shop held out for so long is honestly kind of amazing. Only thing I'm salty about is that they never ported Mario Party 3 to the VC, I love Mario Party 2 but I want to play the original Waluigi Party so badly lol.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm definitely going to get games while I can, especially co-op ones. I've got a decently large list of games that I'm hoping to get, with River City Ransom and Gunstar Heroes at the top of it. (also, games that aren't available digitally on the Wii U, like Final Fantasy VI and Pokemon Puzzle League)

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'm sort of bummed about it, like, symbolically, even though I don't use it anymore

It had a good run

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I'm gonna download 5-7 more games. Probably in February, honestly. Maybe January.

:144:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just got Adventures of Lolo 2 and Pokemon Puzzle League, so I think I'm good as far as games that are only on the Wii Shop Channel. I might get Earthworm Jim 1 and 2, and maybe a handful of others, but I feel like I can stop now and be satisfied.

At least the Shop Channel closing has gotten me to branch out. While I was considering games like Strider, I doubt I would have picked up Splatterhouse or Ice Hockey without that added motivation.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure if this counts as a double post considering that it's over three months later, but there's one week left until the Wii Shop Channel closes. I intend to make my last purchase some time this week (I have 400 points left, so I'll add 2000 and get three SNES or Genesis games - possibly the Donkey Kong Country trilogy).

Is anybody looking for last-minute recommendations?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ah, I finished my Wii Shop Channel shopping with 0 Wii Points left. I now have 300 games in my Wii.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Ah, I finished my Wii Shop Channel shopping with 0 Wii Points left. I now have 300 games in my Wii.
Three hundred?! Wow, I thought I had a lot with about thirty two.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Three hundred?! Wow, I thought I had a lot with about thirty two.
Oh yes. 300 games total.

61 NES games
54 SNES games
21 N64 games
6 Master System games
50 Genesis games
30 TurboGrafx-16 games
43 Neo Geo games
4 Virtual Console Arcade games
30 WiiWare games

Edit: My favorite consoles are SNES and Neo Geo. I guess I must have missed one game somewhere. Must be one of those games that was removed from the Wii Shop Channel a long time ago.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh yes. 300 games total.

61 NES games
54 SNES games
21 N64 games
6 Master System games
50 Genesis games
30 TurboGrafx-16 games
43 Neo Geo games
4 Virtual Console Arcade games
30 WiiWare games
I'm curious about the Wii Ware games in particular - which ones did you get? I think the only ones that I got were Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (all five episodes) and Mega Man 9. The Konami Rebirth games and LostWinds were tempting, but I found out that you could get LostWinds on Steam, and I'm not good at Castlevania, Gradius, or Contra.

EDIT: I also got Doc Louis's Punch-Out, though I'm not sure if that counts.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm curious about the Wii Ware games in particular - which ones did you get? I think the only ones that I got were Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (all five episodes) and Mega Man 9. The Konami Rebirth games and LostWinds were tempting, but I found out that you could get LostWinds on Steam, and I'm not good at Castlevania, Gradius, or Contra.
These are the 30 WiiWare games I have in my Wii (in alphabetical order):

1. And Yet It Moves
  2. Art of Balance
  3. Bit.Trip Runner
  4. Blaster Master Overdrive
  5. Bubble Bobble Plus
  6. Bust-A-Move Plus
  7. Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth
  8. Cave Story
  9. Contra Rebirth
  10. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
  11. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
  12. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King
  13. Fluidity
  14. Gradius Rebirth
  15. La-Mulana
  16. LostWinds
  17. LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
  18. Mega Man 9
  19. Mega Man 10
  20. Mr. Driller W
  21. Muscle March
  22. NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
  23. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
  24. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Justice for All
  25. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
  26. Pokémon Rumble
  27. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I
  28. Swords & Soldiers
  29. Toki Tori
  30. World of Goo

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Well, for anyone who wants to know, the WiiWare games were archived. That's all I'm allowed to share. Just know that the games are not lost to history, so future game devs will know what these games played like.

ZeusExMachina

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
is there a way to get more wii points to buy stuff before it shuts down, can I purchase points, or is there nothing I can do?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
is there a way to get more wii points to buy stuff before it shuts down, can I purchase points, or is there nothing I can do?
Nothing that you can do, unfortunately - the ability to add Wii Points was removed last March. It seems weird to keep the shop channel open for nearly a year after that, but I guess it gives people to redownload games that they had downloaded previously.

If you have less than five hundred points left, I'd recommend looking for DLC for the Wii Ware games that you have (if any). I'm pretty sure that the Mega Man 9 DLC was only about 100 or 200 points each, so being able to play as Proto Man or getting a few challenge stages is better than letting those points go to waste.

link2702

Smash Champion
Hey I’m wondering if anyone can help me/answer a question.

I got a wii a few days ago from goodwill that i was gonna just use for spare parts. When i booted it up though I noticed it hadn’t been formatted, and the original owner still had data on it, so I figured I’d see if any points were left or if I could redownload anything.

Only problem is it gives the dreaded system files are corrupted message after a short while. It works in maintenance mode, but you can’t access the wii shop there. I’m just curious if there’s any points left on it. Also does formatting the system get rid of any points? Cuz I did attempt that to see if it would fix it(...it didn’t, and made it a headache to try and resetup, as i had to quickly rush through the setup menu before the message hit)

Worse case scenario is it just becomes a spare parts console like I originally intended, but if there is anything left on it, I might as well try to get it off before the deadline.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am really going to miss the Wii Virtual Console. It came at a time when I starting to really get into retro gaming. When in debuted in December 2006, it was surreal to be able to buy games from the comfort of my bedroom. It was through the Wii Shop Channel that I discovered fantastic titles like Castlevania Rondo of Blood (my third favorite game for the franchise as a whole), Sin & Punishment, Gunstar Heroes, Monster World IV, Streets of Rage 2, Wave Race 64, and many other titles I bought that I still need to finish. I discovered much of the Sega Genesis's and Turbografx's library through the Wii's Virtual Console. There were also many great NES, SNES, and 64 titles I played for the first time through it as well. Lately, I really appreciate the fact that you can use the NES and SNES Classic Edition Controllers for the Wii Virtual Console titles, which really gives you an authentic control experience for NES and SNES titles.

WiiWare had some fun experiences to be had as well. Dr. Mario Online Rx and Excitebike World Rally are the two stand outs (probably the only two games I played extensively online). I also really enjoyed Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth as well as the Phoenix Wright ports.

There is still another week left for the Wii Shop Channel. For 12 years it brought me many great retro game experiences, There are still quite a few games I have bought for it that I need to play through as well. When the service closes next week, I will have more to say on the fun and memorable experiences I had with the Wii Shop Channel.

Top Bottom