• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The WFTGD: How About Some Deep Breathing?

Funcrazyfish

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm new to these boards and thought I may as well introduce myself. I'm FunCrazyFish, and I've mained WFT since Smash 4's release. If you've heard of me, great, and if not, that's cool too. Anyway, I'm glad to finally show up here and join the discussion about my favorite character!

⑨ball

Smash Ace
So a few things:

First and foremost, no capture card yet, but a combination of good editting and the youtube upload feature should let me put out the tutorial sometime next month.

Second, still experimenting with changes to shield stun and discovered some very interesting things. Mainly that SHADFF bair and CQC zone SS might be things. They've always worked obviously, but playing with them a bit in training at 1/4 speed I haven't been able to punish certain spacings at all. Still need to move into the upper echleon of frame data and options to say for sure but it's looking good for sure considering we've got such a good airdodge.

Third, nothing too big considering how situational it might end up, but changes to DB in the buff patch WFT got opened up full ff nair>usmash kill combos on fast fallers. Soft nair is still the best combo setup in neutral due to consistency and ko options, but it doesn't hurt to know that if your fast falling opponent is in that 30-35 range you might be able to one shot them on a read. Might end up specifically useful against Fox and MK as they love using dash attack in neutral and don't have much to perturb us from going for the read every now and then.

edit: Also John12346 John12346 brought up the great idea of re-terming jab header into jab 1 header/ J1H. Makes sense. I was thinking about starting a thread that lists all of the terms for newer players and for organization's sake but wanted to see if most people felt like it was even needed.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I don't feel it's necessary. There is a global glossary and specific stuff can just be Q&A'd or FAQ'd.
:196:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
John12346 John12346 takes Nebulous Prime #11 with WFT and Luigi over MikeKirby's Kirby x MK duo.

Very smart to lead with Luigi so he had MK locked in on the counterpick.

Related things from the lab:

So I figured out why WFT crouch hurtbox seems so inconsistent. Seems obvious now that I say it but WFT's hurtbox has different sizes at different parts of her body. To keep it simple WFT's head is much lower than her butt, so while we can duck WAAAAY more character's grabs than initially thought (MK being one of them for example) it needs to be used while taking burst options and spacing into account so that a hitbox doesn't line up with the largest part of her crouching hurtbox. Alternatively, facing away from the opponent gives her much more leniency to avoid burst options. Seems like it could be particularly useful in the Fox and MK MUs since it really hinders their grab, forces them to dash attack deep, crouch canceling ruins combos(such as MK DA>uair which starts working around 18%) and can punish Fox for using it with uair and bair at early percents.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
So I was playing against the 2nd best Yoshi I know today and I have and no sleep so I was super tired when we started playing. I even practiced against a level 8 CPU before starting the matches to warm up and I lost, so I knew I was going to do terrible.

Then I won 2-0.

And he never got me to my last stock either game.
First match he went Doc and I felt like he threw the match but he said he didn't but who really knows. :/
Second match he went to Yoshi and I almost 3 stocked him but got fair'd offstage and took 40% on my second stock. Last kill was even the special angle Header spike (that nobody noticed of course because lol Wii Fit Trainer who actually plays her/him). I feel really good. And still very tired.
:happysheep:
Also I think my fear of fighting Yoshi is gone. :roll:

a dog

Smash Cadet
Saw an amazing Wii Fit Trainer today in FG randoms who used the tag "WIIFITGODS". I was totally blown away by their playstyle; definitely the first time I've ever seen WFT be intimidating and dominate from the ledge like that. Makes me kinda want to learn how to play this character now.

Anyway, don't know if that player uses these forums, but I figured I'd give a shout out to them regardless.

Last edited:

Mark The Page

Smash Apprentice
Are we still talking about follow-ups to the jab burying? I also main Villager so I've put a lot of thought into how to follow up a bury.

You don't know when the opponent is coming out. And neither do they. And when they do, they're probably going to do an aerial attack out of button mashing. Since they're above you, it'll obviously whiff. And you've got to catch them rising upward at some point in time.

I've never been able to land an up smash as they break free. Usually I go for the panic side tilt to catch them as fast as possible, though with Villager I always go u-air so I've started doing that with WFT as well. It deals a little less damage than her other options, but creates more distance than the reduced-knockback d-tilt and is much easier to land than the n-air. Then you get to charge, breathe, and launch the Header.

Also, fun mind game: a lot of people don't know that a cancelled and jabbed ball loses its hitbox fairly quickly. So they shield, but it's at this awkward slow speed that won't get shielded immediately but still doesn't give enough time to really do anything, and it moves up so they'd have to approach from way too high to be safe. Especially when my opponent is near the ledge, they figure they'll just keep the shield up, wait for the ball to pass, and then move in for the kill. There's an awkward standstill. We just watch the ball and wait. Then they drop the shield, rush me, and I let go of a charged SS.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Also, fun mind game: a lot of people don't know that a cancelled and jabbed ball loses its hitbox fairly quickly. So they shield, but it's at this awkward slow speed that won't get shielded immediately but still doesn't give enough time to really do anything, and it moves up so they'd have to approach from way too high to be safe. Especially when my opponent is near the ledge, they figure they'll just keep the shield up, wait for the ball to pass, and then move in for the kill. There's an awkward standstill. We just watch the ball and wait. Then they drop the shield, rush me, and I let go of a charged SS.
Keep in mind that hitting the ball with Jab 2 provides it with a constant hitbox, and only causes it to travel a tiny bit faster.
I detailed that here, if you want to check it out: http://smashboards.com/threads/lets...nd-advanced-techs.398859/page-2#post-20346768

Also I usually go for Dtilt on a Jab bury because it's the most damaging option. Most other available options are really inconsistent, and it's hard to turn down that big fat 21 damage.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Hey, outside of Up-Smash and Jab, what are the best setups with Nair?

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
Hey gang, pretty new to WFT, really enjoying her anti edge-guarding game and looking to pick up some fitness tips.

Is there like a dictionary/thread for all the acronym? (SS, CQC, J1H etc.)

And does anybody know why d-tilt sometimes hits the opponent behind you? I find it's much better for follow-ups at low %'s than when it hit's them forwards.

Champ Gold Champ Gold here's TKbreezy's Nair-Header off-stage which is pretty stylish.. (0.52)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6C_M-ahE2w

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Hey gang, pretty new to WFT, really enjoying her anti edge-guarding game and looking to pick up some fitness tips.

Is there like a dictionary/thread for all the acronym? (SS, CQC, J1H etc.)

And does anybody know why d-tilt sometimes hits the opponent behind you? I find it's much better for follow-ups at low %'s than when it hit's them forwards.

Champ Gold Champ Gold here's TKbreezy's Nair-Header off-stage which is pretty stylish.. (0.52)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6C_M-ahE2w
To answer your first question, your best bet is to check out this thread
http://smashboards.com/threads/exce...body-the-wft-compendium-index-and-faq.377562/
9Ball made it ages ago, and as the original post states many of the links could be out of date since Wii Fit Trainer got a huge buff in one of the updates quite a ways back, but it's a start. For the abbreviations you mentioned:

"SS" is just shorthand Sun Salutation, the neutral special (not to be confused with SS when seen on the Greninja boards, where it means something else entirely)
"CQC" is a general term that stands for Close Quarters Combat. This is a term that has been used since Super Smash Brothers Melee. Your best bet for finding terms like this is in the Smash dictionary, which is linked in the thread provided above.
"J1H" is a relatively newly coined term, referring to a specific trick shot with Header. By performing Header (side special) and canceling the move with air dodge, the soccer ball will remain, and drop in front of you. By performing a short hop, then starting header and immediately canceling it, then fast falling to the ground, you should land well before the ball touches the ground, giving you ample time to hit it with a different move (and thus launching it at a unique angle). "J1H" means hitting the ball with your Jab 1, which will launch the ball in a slow, bouncing arc forward that does not possess it's own hitbox, making it a decent fake out against opponents who don't know any better (and hitting the ball again will give it a hitbox, so chasing it with a dash attack can be useful as well). This is opposed to both "RJ1H" which hits with the back side of Jab 1 for a completely different angle and speed with a hitbox, and "J2H" which hits with Jab 2 for a similar angle and speed to J1H, but does possess it's own hitbox.

Finally, for why D-tilt can sometimes hit people backwards, it's all about your placement. Many characters have hitboxes that launch at specific angles, but mirrored if the hitbox hits the far side of their character model instead. Wii Fit Trainer's small hitboxes just make this more common than on most characters.

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
SteadyDisciple SteadyDisciple Thanks for the info, and that thread is insane!

Was just playing around with d-tilt and I totally see it now. Seems as though it only really happens when you hit from behind as well and with bigger characters it doesn't happen at all.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
On a completely unrelated note, I've been playing WFT enough lately that I actually got out my old balance board and played Wii Fit. In spite of some corroded batteries, I managed to make it work, and am both satisfied and excited.

Last edited:

Manipanni

Smash Rookie
i loved playing wii fit when i was younger and when smash 4 came around the first character i started playing with was wft

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Does anyone have any tips for DHD?

It seems like a pretty hard matchup to me since DHD can pretty much just cancel out our projectiles most of the time.

I usually just switch to Mega Man because Metal Blade goes through the can and gunmen, and Leaf Shield goes through everything, making it much more difficult for DHD to wall MM out.

But as WFT I don't really know how to get through that wall.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Get familiar with his options and then rush him down. DH has tons of cool down on his zoning tools and gets wrecked in disadvantage so your goal is to get in range to make B moves a bad gamble and capitalize as he tries to reset. Keep in mind that his most versatile tool, the can, can not be controlled immediately after being hit which gives you tons of time to make your assault against more linear defenses.

Any tips as to how to fight mewtwo and samus? I kinda have a tough time against them even with playing patient especially mewtwo with the reflector.
Similar strategy should be applied against Mewtwo and Samus. We lose at mid-range, break even at long, can do work up close, and hurt them trying to land and get back to the stage. They all (including WFT) suck at aerial footsies, but she gets the most reward and has the most safety, so feel free to go for it more often. Keep their functionality in the three states in mind and you'll do much better.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Get familiar with his options and then rush him down. DH has tons of cool down on his zoning tools and gets wrecked in disadvantage so your goal is to get in range to make B moves a bad gamble and capitalize as he tries to reset. Keep in mind that his most versatile tool, the can, can not be controlled immediately after being hit which gives you tons of time to make your assault against more linear defenses.
I just did a search of the video thread, but didn't get any hits for Duck Hunt/DHD/:4duckhunt:. In my case, seeing some video of good play vs. DHD would be great.

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
Hey Erimir Erimir , my flatmate is a DHD main so I play him a lot. I recently picked up WFT and don't think the match-up is so bad.

I use SS a lot, even uncharged it denies the Clay Pigeon and the Gunman. So even if your not hitting DHD he has to come to you.
An uncharged SS will go over the Can so give SS a little charge. Hitting the Can back at DHD will give you more space to work with plus SS is pretty safe and you might even hit DHD with it.
DHD has a pretty terrible recovery, which works great for WFT cause she is crazy good off-stage, so getting him off stage at early %'s can lead to massive damage or even a spike!

Also WFT can crouch under all the Gunman apart from the Sombrero Gunman (he is also strongest of the gunmen but has the least range) so don't be pressured into your shield.

Play a slow game, DHD likes to trap opponents and zone them out but you have all the tools stop him.

Don't forget to stretch your legs!

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
When in doubt FD/Omega.

If not, Duck Hunt. Always do well on Duck Hunt with :4wiifit:
Looking at the Toon Link boards, probably a grass omega like Mushroom Kingdom U is my best bet. Are Battlefield and Dreamland that good for Toon Link that I shouldnt play on them though? Those are my 2 best stages but they're also Toon Link's 2 best stages. :/

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hello Soccer Moms and Dads, I am a :4megaman:/:4greninja: who comes here asking a bit about your character:
  1. What are your character's general strengths & weaknesses
  2. Where do you think he/she stands on the tiers?
  3. What do I do when fighting against you? What do you think of the general matchups with said characters I play? And maybe what stages I'd wanna ban against you too?
The game's been out for at least a year now, and to this day I have literally never once fought a Wii Fit outside of For Gloryand I don't know very much about your character at all. Every single WFT I've come across was from For Glory (which is obviously not a great place to learn Matchups), and every time it feels very weird fighting you compared to other characters because of your ledge shenanigans, DownB, and eccentric normals. I've played some wii ft about 2 days ago and I fought him at least two times and barely beat him both times (barely being the key word here), I couldn't tell if he was actually good or not because I don't know enough about your character to distinguish what's good and bad, unless of course its a typical FG rookie who likes to roll and roll for days. First time I used Greninja against that guy and it was a strange match, I switched to Mega Man the second fight and it was a strange match.

In my region, I only know one person who plays Wii Fit at all but I've never actually played him, I just hear he's very good (probably our best and only Wii Fit) and I once watched one of his sets. On the internet I asked him if I could maybe get a match with him sometime as I have 0 experience with your character, and he says he needs more experience with Mega Man. I dunno if he got his experience in the meantime, but if you give me a little insight, maybe I could get the upper hand! :p

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I'm not a great WFT, but of your 2 mains I would heavily suggest Greninja for this matchup.

WFT can crouch under lemons, crash bomb, horizontal metal blades, and uncharged F-smash, has more range with Sun Salutation/Header, and can trump most of your projectiles with Suns Salutation as well. This means Mega Man really has to approach, which is how most players prefer it for WFT.

By contrast, WFT can't crouch under Water Shuriken, and it's fast enough to help prevent charging Sun Salutation. Greninja's lower hurtbox also makes it harder to hit as WFT, and his aerial mobility makes him a nightmare to try and spike for early kills.

Jlp

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keaton Benny
Funkermonster Funkermonster

WFT has a great off-stage game (edge-guarding & recovering). I think both your characters have good recoveries but expect WFT to pressure you out there.

WFT thrives with a defensive play-style and because of SS, Deep Breathing and the Header we force the opponent to approach.

WFT grab sucks, so if you notice your opponent isn't grabbing a whole lot don't be afraid to put your shield up.

As far as tiers go, I'd put WFT in the middle, can beat a whole lot of the cast but has trouble against most (if not all) 'top tiers'.

I think Greninja is a better match-up. Great recovery and a better rush down game than MM.

I believe most WFTs don't like Lylat because the stage angles mess with our already poor/small tilt and smash hit boxes. Though I like all stages as WFT;D

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To ressurect the social.

Hope you guys have an incredible year and stay fit

image.jpeg

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I actually started practicing Karate. Regretting it day 1.
Anyway, besides this literal fitness issue, I might run Customs events in the future, and if I do, I'll go full WFT.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I really wish her FAIR was something totally different. :(

I never use it at all.
Also her Utilt and Dtilts are kinda meh.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Her Fair works relatively well as an air-to-air move, as in it's pretty good in those situations where you and your opponent jump at each other at the same time and you gotta throw something out quickly. Granted, in these situations you're probably better off jumping with your back facing the opponent for Bair since that has a much higher reward, but Fair might just be more reliable in these kinds of situations.

Hitting the ball with the back hit spike of Fair after doing a Header Cancel sends the ball super slow at a downwards angle, allowing you some close range pressure while onstage or some interesting edgeguard setups for recovering opponents.

Also, if your timing is true, run off stage > Fair is excellent at snagging the back hit spike on characters who use horizontal 'mobility moves' to grab the edge from low. The two biggest examples here are Diddy and Fox.
As far as Dtilt, there aren't TOO many uses for it. From what I can tell, it IS her longest range tilt horizontally, and it has some situational anti-air capabilities so it's not the worst thing to throw out in neutral. The biggest use I've seen for it, though, is the follow up from burying someone with Jab. It's a relatively fast move that gets a nice, hearty 12 damage, and you don't have to worry about missing from the low height of the opponent since it's a low attack itself to begin with.
Utilt is kind of frumpy, because it has rather low damage, a ton of ending lag, and you need some good timing to actually hit with it, but it is an excellent anti-air move, when used out of a crouch. I've had this thing beat out Sheik's Fair, so you know that's a pretty nice perk all by itself.

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
I'm not the best spriter, but here's Wii Fit Trainer herself in Pokemon Emerald form, complete with a battle graphic. I'm working on graphics for a Pokemon Fangame, and when I heard one of the gyms was going to be based on Yoga, well...

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
SO RIN FROM JAPAN JUST BEAT FALSE'SENSE SHEIK AT GENESIS 3 BY SPIKING HIM AT THE LEDGE. RIN IS MOVING ON IN BRACKET. SO HYPE.

Last edited:

Lakuto

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lakutos
SO RIN FROM JAPAN JUST BEAT FALSE'SENSE SHEIK AT GENESIS 3 BY SPIKING HIM AT THE LEDGE. RIN IS MOVING ON IN BRACKET. SO HYPE.
I missed it :(

EDIT: Found the footage. The match was really interesting to watch. That ledgeplay though..

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
My jaw dropped at the spikes. Both of them.
Rin has just enlightened me on efficient ledge play.
I might put more effort into this character now.

...might.

Last edited:
Top Bottom