• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wedding that went wrong - Broodals for Smash. !

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion

The Broodals are the new henchmen of Bowser in the upcoming game "Super Mario Odyssey", responsible for planning the (forced) wedding of Bowser and Peach. It'll be their first apparition ever, and could give them potential to appear in many more games later. Bonus point ; they are rabbits, and potentials cousins of the Rabbids.

The group consists of at least four characters ; Topper, seemingly the leader of the group ; Harriet, both cute and evil and maybe even sadistic, a big blue-wearing Rabbit who may be the bodyguard of Topper (unnamed at the moment) and a thinner yellowish Rabbit (also unnamed at the moment).

Do they have a potential moveset ?

Though at the moment we only had a battle with Harriet, we can already see what their attacks could be focused on the utilization of hats and explosives. Wether all the Broodals will use the same sort of weapons or not remain to see, but it's clear that, since we'll fight all of them at least once, they'll brin more inspiration for future moveset makers.

Why would one choose the Broodals over an already well-known and established character in the Mario series ?

It's true that, at the moment I am making this thread, they didn't appear in any game yet and may not even appear again in a main Mario game. Hell, they may even never appear in any spin-off. But if I'm making this thread, it's because I believe that they may get a shot in the next Smash bros. if it's not being released too son.

-They serve as the secondary antagonist of the new Mario game. In Odyssey, the objective of Mario is to prevent Bowser from marrying Peach. And who are the ones planning the wedding ? The Broodals. It was already well known, but it proves that their implication in the game is really important, like Bowser. Jr in Super Mario Sunshine or the Koopalings in SMB3 and SMW. So it's safe to say that we'll see them a lot during, obviously, their own boss battles, and maybe even with Bowser !
Also, the fact that they serve as important characters give them potential to be chosen over all the Mario characters ; in Smash Bros. for Wii U, Rosalina, who was important for Super Mario Galaxy, was chosen, as well as Bowser Jr. from Super Mario Sunshine (granted, his moveset is not taken from this game and all of his alts are the Koopalings).

-They all have their own distinctive features. Obviously, they have different clothes, making them distinct from each other, and I'm making assumptions here since the game is not released, but from just a glimpse of them, you can guess how they behave and their personalities (I may be proven wrong in the future, so don't jump on me for that), with the Yellow one being kind of goofy while the Blue one acting brutal, while Topper being quick to anger. So if not all of them end up being playable, having at least one of them is not that :083:.

-They are rabbits.

-They are new. It's always a point that's hard to consider good or bad, though looking at the direction the new games ended up taking (and assuming Sakurai still choose the characters), being recent is actually advantageous. And it could even get better if they end up popular and appear in mpany more games and... Maybe even Super Mario Odyssey 2 ?

-They are villains. The main problem fans had (or at least hardcore ones) in the previous installment was the lack of villain characters. Most of the time, it's usually while thinking about Ridley or King K. Rool. But they also fit this criteria, even if it's not a decisive factor, it can always help

-They are cousins of the Rabbids.

-They are rabbits.

Why they could not get chosen ?
Obviously, they are far from being shoo-in. They have many problems that they share with many characters, from Mario or not.
The obvious one is their lack of popularity, that could be solved if the game sells well and they are funny and charismatic.
Let's check the other points.

-Another Mario character. Remember how Sakurai had serious reservations about adding another Fire Emblem character when there were "only" five of them ? Now imagine adding a eigth character for Mario ? People change their mind, Sakurai more than anyone else (see Villager and Mii). But he can be really stubborn on certain matters (Ridley in Smash for example). Mario is the main license of Nintendo, does it mean that it deserves getting another character ? Because it leads to another problem.
_ The number of potential spots being reduced with each new game released. In the last game, we had, in the base game, 51 characters. Sakurai said so before that they already reached an alarming number of characters. With improvement each generation, we'll surely get more characters. But with the work put into bringing back old characters as well as all the other features of the game (trophies, modes, options, online), we may end up not getting as many newcomers as in Brawl (18) and Wii U (15 if you don't count Lucina and Dark Pit who are "bonus" and count Mii as three characters). With a number going between 10 and 12 newcomers, are Broodals really the priority ?

-More important characters in the Mario franchise. And that's subjective. But the fact is : they haven't appeared anywhere else yet, contrary to the likes of Daisy or Waluigi who, sure didn't appear in any main Mario game (Super Mario Land being the exception), but are presen tin almost all of the Mario spin-offs, or Flora Piranha and King Boos, boss characters easy to recognize (and King Boo being the main antagonist in Luigi's Mansion). Also, they have a direct opponent in Odyssey with more story ; Pauline, who was the first damsel Mario ever saved.

-Koopalings-like. They are other henchmend of Bowser, and, in Wii U, we already have a gang with the Koopalings. If all of them appear, they'd probably share one spot in the roster. Would it be ok to have two groups of Bowser's minions in Smash. ?

-They are rabbits. Recently people grew a hate towards those poor animals.

If you want to support them, please let me know ! The thread will be updated as more informations on them are released !

Yoshi-Thomas
tjdmhem

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like to see them in future Mario Kart and Paper Mario games at least.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I would like to see them in future Mario Kart and Paper Mario games at least.
This. Though we would have to get all four of them instead of some like the Koopalings.

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played Super Mario Odyssey, yet. But to pass time, I'm planning on getting Mario Kart 7 for my 3DS. Yeah, surprise! I don't have Mario Kart 7. Well, I did but I lost it right before I moved to Louisiana. I support!

Last edited:
Top Bottom