• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Weaknesses of Mewtwo

Where do you think Mewtwo deserves to be on a tier list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iX_Martyr_Xi

Smash Rookie
This thread is simple. What are the weaknesses of Mewtwo? What characters does Mewtwo struggle up against? Where does Mewtwo have trouble where other characters can do better? What is a bad situation for Mewtwo?

By the way, saw those really unique Mewtwo tech videos. Love them. I was contemplating dropping Mewtwo, but after watching those videos, I can't. XD

Darkoness21

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0576-4758-7122
Mewtwo's main weakness is that he has a large hurtbox on his tail and his floaty fall speed makes him easy to combo at times. However, one good thing we have when we're pinned in a corner is that we can warp our way of it. Against characters, Captain Falcon, Toon Link, Spacies (to a degree) Mewtwo struggles against. With spacies though, it is critical that you know combos off of an upthrow as you want to rack up at least 60% off of one grab. Edgeguarding is critical against them. I was just talking to Frozen about the Toon Link MU. According to Frozen, it is Mewtwo's hardest MU at a high level. It is 60-40 or 65-35 at best for Mewtwo. Toon Link just camps and runs around all day vs Mewtwo. Frozen also stated that "since Mewtwo has a huge hurtbox, he is prone to getting bombed, and has some pretty fierce uthrow setups on him that can be combo'd into with bomb -->fair -->grab. Also Toon Link kills early off the top with up B and dair" ( by Frozen a.k.a the Mewtwo Master).

Good thing about it is Toon Link's recovery isn't really good so he's pretty gimpable. You want to take him to smaller stages where he can't run away forever. I can't think of anything that Mewtwo struggles where other characters can do better. His combo game is phenomenal once you get in the right hits. A bad situation for Mewtwo is being zoned hard and dealing with very fast pressure since he lacks great OoS options. Also, at early percents it can be tough to avoid CC. Overall I strongly believe Mewtwo is at least top 20% of the smash characters in Project M. He isn't as broken as he used to be in 3.02. The drawback is that he has a very high learning curve but the rewards are insane once you get down his movement and teleport techs. Personally I love this character because he is really fun to use.

These are some good Mewtwo combos to look into:
https://gfycat.com/HorribleEducatedDotterel
http://gfycat.com/ShamelessEmbarrassedHawk

Last edited:

Garr

Smash Apprentice
Off the top of my head:
- very susceptible to dying from the top due to floatiness
- large target, especially with half the tail having a hurtbox
- low base knockback on most of his moves are easy to crouch cancel
- has trouble killing if you suck at edgeguarding
- floatiness makes it hard to get back on the ground, remedied by teleports and fast-falling
- hard to win neutral against characters with more range or better disjoints

But just for the hell of it, I'll throw in the positives that help counteract these negatives :p:
+ tail still has really good range and decent disjoint, allowing you to control a lot of space
+ 4th longest wavedash length, only beaten by Squirtle, ICs, and Luigi. Amazing for controlling space in neutral and weaving in and out of your opponent's range
+ Long and extensive punish game
+ All his throws are useful. Up for killing, down for combos, forward and back for edgeguarding.
+ Teleport and hover. Nuff said.
+ Arguably the best edgeguarder in the game. He has a ton of offstage mixups that makes recovering against him a nightmare.
+ Insane recovery and high amount of mixups makes you borderline impossible to edgeguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom