• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The water God. Blastiose for Smash!

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
upload_2017-5-5_16-58-44.png

Who is Blastoise?
Blastoise originates from the Pokemon series. He is the fully evolved form of one of the starter Pokemon in Red and Blue, as well as Red and Green in Japan, known as Squirtle. His Pokedex entry states:
A brutal POKéMON with pressurized water jets on its shell. They are used for high speed tackles.

Blastoise, as with all Pokemon, never was removed in any Pokemon game. He is considered to be OU, or OverUsed, in Generation 6.

Smash History
Blastoise was an assist trophy in Smash 64 and Melee. His cannons were used to push characters off the stage. He is considered by many to be one of the strongest Pokeball Pokemon of smash 64, as well as Melee. His first evolution, Squirtle, was in Brawl as part of the Pokemon Trainer.

Arguments For Blastoise
Blastoise is arguably the most treasured starter of Generation 1. He has been reintroduced in X and Y, where he has a mega evolution as well. Many fans miss the departure of Squirtle and Blastoise would be a great spiruatal sucessor for those missing out.

In addition, he is a heavy character. In Smash 4, heavys are few and far between. And when they are pointed out, they are very commonly bottom tier. Blastoise would make the competitive roster more diverse.

Arguments Against Blastoise

"Really? Another water type?"
I don't really see how being a water type is an issue. I would be upset if he was a clone of Greninja, but I don't really see that happen. Introspective noted that swordfighters also take up almost 1/4 of the roster. Would it be an issue if 1/26 of the cast was a waterbender.

"We have Generation 1 represented well enough with Charizard."
Blastoise can be obtained natrually in X and Y, is one of the few wielders of Mega Evolution, and appears in the final fight against Red in Sun and Moon (And let's face it, you all chose Red), and the fight in Gold, Silver, Crystal, HG, and SS. Blastoise is intended to be a legacy left to remain in all Generations.

"We don't need any more Pokemon."
There is data in Brawl's files, explained by RelaxAlax, that notes that there are at least two Pokemon that have reserved slots from Brawl onwards. Sakurai clearly wants this series to be represented like Mario and FE.

Moveset Runthrough
Neutral B: Hydro Pump
Up B: Rapid Spin
Down B: Earthquake
Side B: Ice Beam
Fsmash: Skull Bash
Usmash: Brine
Dsmash: Whirlpool
Final Smash: Mega Blastoise

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
My mind tells me no, but my heart says 'Blastoise'. I would definitely be excited to see him, even though he makes very little sense.

Pillowpet

Smash Apprentice
I like blastoise but I don't think another fully evolved gen 1 starter that is also a water type will be in.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Blastoise is the best Gen 1 starter.

That being said, I still want him regardless of the whole "muh types" argument.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How he makes very little sense? He makes a LOT of sense, and would be an awesome character to rival with Charizard. The official poster Pokemon for Pokemon Blue, how come he DOESN'T generate an enourmous amount of hype when included?! Don't we all have fond memories of raising our Squirtle to become Blastoise? I want Blastoise, and am not affraid to show my support!

He could easily be the heaviest Pokemon on the current roster, and have a lot of moves that are designed to push back his opponents with water, moves like Hydro Pump and the like. His Pokeball summon from Melee already laid the foundation for him, as did his Pokeball summon in Smash 64. Hydro Pump should definitely be his Neutral Special Attack, and could be charged and highly damaging. Basically a super powered F.L.U.D.D. which does a lot of damage too and has increased knockback. Ideal edge guard attack.

Blastoise is an amazing choice, and the choice for the veteran Nintendo fan. Much like Toad and King K.Rool.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well, guess who's coming to Pokken?

What other fighting game can boast having a turtle with water canons built in?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
He's gonna be playable in Pokken. That's some good ****.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
I really like all 3 Gen 1 starters a lot, but Blastoise is a bit special for me, because the very first Pokemon game I played was Blue version, and I picked Squirtle, because I love turtles. Not just ninja turtles, either, but those are also very cool. I'll admit that these days, I think Bulbasaur is my favorite (Ivysaur was my favorite to use with Pokemon Trainer), but still.

I decided to fool around with what specials I thought would suit it, and since Charizard's moveset is heavily offensive in Smash (especially at the risk of damaging itself to KO an opponent), I figured it'd be more appropriate to have its rival with something that capitalizes more on its bulk and endurance. So here's what I came up with.

Neutral B: Hydro Pump - Charges up the cannons on his back, and slightly crouches forward, firing off a powerful stream of water. Damage doesn't increase much, but charging it increases its pushing power. Charge cannot be held.

Side B: Bulldoze - Rampages forward about 1/3 the length of Final Destination, ending with a powerful stomp at the end. Anyone caught during his dash has their speed temporarily reduced, and the stomp at the end deals high damage and knockback.

Up B: Rapid Spin - Retreats to his shell and spins through the air, just like Bowser's Whirling Fortress. Unlike Bowser's, though, Rapid Spin will knock away opponents with low damage rather than drawing them in for repeated hits, but weaker projectiles don't do any damage while it's active.

Down B: For this, I have two ideas and I'm sorta torn between the two of them. I mean, they could both easily be there via custom moves, so...

Iron Defense - Steels himself (sorry not sorry) against an incoming non-projectile attack, taking reduced damage. After tanking a hit, Blastoise gains a temporary boost in power, though during this and shortly after the buff ends, Iron Defense will fail.

OR

Avalanche - Blastoise's cannons aim straight up and frost begins to form around them, then shooting up a cloud that releases heavy snow straight down around him. While his cannons are preparing to shoot, he has super armor, and if he takes a hit, the power of Avalanche will double.

I feel like Blastoise could make it in just using assets from other Smashers (the big example being Bowser, of course), while we also get a newer Pokemon rep (like Decidueye). And with Blastoise being DLC for Pokken, I think this points to saying that, yeah, it's a pretty significant Pokemon if we have to pay extra money for it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nice moveset Amberloo Amberloo ! Unique, yet similar to Squirtle in Brawl, which is always what I envisioned.

Pokken gave me a little hope. But Blastoise is also a genuinely popular Pokemon, who has massive appeal to the older fans of Nintendo and Smash Bros. That could give him some sort of chance, as there aren't many Nintendo characters who can do the same. King K.Rool and Toad are my biggest other guesses.

I still support him! Smash needs more classic old characters and heavy weights alike.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Thanks! I honestly particularly like my ideas for Bulldoze and Iron Defense the most, since I feel like they perfectly capture what it would be like getting hit by a huge turtle, and trying to hit a huge turtle, respectively. The inspiration for the latter was actually from Pokemon: The Origin, when Charizard tries to punch Blastoise in the face and he just menacingly stares at Charizard as it doesn't even phase him. And you know, much better that than giving him a counter move, because that's more of an agility/evasion thing, not a rock solid defense thing.

I think we'll be able to better gauge Blastoise's chances once Pokemon Switch is revealed. I know it's probably more likely to be the start of Gen 8, but I could honestly see them doing huge overhauled versions of Gen 1, to test themselves on making modern console quality Pokemon games; and to draw in older fans who haven't touched Pokemon since the original Gameboy, and generally view handhelds as too inferior to own. (Yes, I know the Switch is technically one.)

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'd definitely be fine with Blastoise instead of Greninja, to be honest. I imagine he'd be similar to Bowser, but he'd also have his own unique playstyle.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ah dang, I had permission a while back to make a Blastoise thread. I just never did because I'm LAZY

Blastoise would be an awesome choice.

Now that all the serious characters I wanted already got in Smash, my top picks now are Blastoise, Marx, and Geno

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There are only 3 Pokemon that I REALLY, REALLY wanted in Smash throughout the years:

1. :ultmewtwo: who's been in since Melee.

2. Deoxys

3. Blastiose

I already got :ultmewtwo: so I've been pretty satisfied with the Pokemon roster since Melee. But honestly, Deoxys and Blastiose are the only Pokemon left that would make me jump out of my seat if either of them ever manged to get in.

Edit: Yes, I support Blastiose.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I think Blastiose is a cool pokémon, but we already have Squitrel and Grenjina (both water pokémon). There's also Pikacuh, Ivysuar and Charzirard, so I think we should avoid 1st gen pokémon for now.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Blastoise is my brother’s favorite Pokémon and I would love to have it in Smash. Unfortunately I think it’s chances for Smash died with the return of Squirtle. Nothing is impossible though and we do have both Pichu and Pikachu so you never know.

Top Bottom