• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Warrior from the Abyss, Hollow Knight Breaks the Seal!

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I loved Hollow Knight. I think I'd prefer Hornet though, I bet she'd have a lot more to add, plus has an actual name lol
The Knight is definitely unique in his own right. I think they'd both bring a lot to the table.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Hornet or The Knight I don't care I just love the idea of a Hollow Knight character in Ultimate.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Who would you guys say better represents the series?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
The Knight, definitely. He represents the first game, as well as the mystery and dark atmosphere perfectly.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
The Knight better show up in Silksong as a boss.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Just threw this together. I can't possibly be the only person who's thought of this...
I mean, come on. Glowing ball surrounded by flowing white wings who you fight on a bunch of platforms in the clouds and who uses their light to kill people and make puppets of the corpses.

Radiance Spirit.png

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Just threw this together. I can't possibly be the only person who's thought of this...
I mean, come on. Glowing ball surrounded by flowing white wings who you fight on a bunch of platforms in the clouds and who uses their light to kill and enslave others.

View attachment 193564
Wow haha, that's pretty accurate.

For Hollow Knight spirits, I'd like to see (**** is legendary, *** is ace, you know the rest):
Hornet***
The Last Stag**
Quirrel**
Zote***
Cornifer**
Iselda*
The Radiance****
The Hollow Knight***
Pure Vessel****
The Pale King***
Myla*
Grimm**
Nightmare King Grimm***
Dung Defender**
Cloth**
Grub*
Mantis Lords**
Primal Aspid***
Geo Deposit*

Monitoimirousku

Smash Rookie
Would absolutely love seeing the Knight or Hornet in Smash. I doubt we'll get anything in the DLC but with Silksong coming I could see Smash 6 having some HK representation.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Wow haha, that's pretty accurate.

For Hollow Knight spirits, I'd like to see (**** is legendary, *** is ace, you know the rest):
Hornet***
The Last Stag**
Quirrel**
Zote***
Cornifer**
Iselda*
The Radiance****
The Hollow Knight***
Pure Vessel****
The Pale King***
Myla*
Grimm**
Nightmare King Grimm***
Dung Defender**
Cloth**
Grub*
Mantis Lords**
Primal Aspid***
Geo Deposit*
Only 3 stars for Primal Aspid?!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I mean, come on. Glowing ball surrounded by flowing white wings who you fight on a bunch of platforms in the clouds and who uses their light to kill people and make puppets of the corpses.

View attachment 193564
You're totally not the only one... at least, not if TV Tropes is any indication.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I didn't want to overfill the spirits with high ranks, though if I had, Primal Aspid's ranking is off the charts.
Primal Aspid is the first five-star, "God-Class" spirit. It has type advantage over every other spirit, a power level of 20,000, four support slots, and its effect makes it so that all your attacks' hitboxes are the size of the stage.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Primal Aspid is the first five-star, "God-Class" spirit. It has type advantage over every other spirit, a power level of 20,000, four support slots, and its effect makes it so that all your attacks' hitboxes are the size of the stage.
Only 5? Seems a bit low, no?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
to be fair the are spirits who at a lower rank despite the fact that there are less powerful characters at a higher rank

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
to be fair the are spirits who at a lower rank despite the fact that there are less powerful characters at a higher rank
Yeah rank seems to be a combination of actual power level and just how popular they are (hence Xenoblade's Morag, "the most powerful driver in the Empire" being a Novice, but FE's Lyn being enhanceable to Legend)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yeah rank seems to be a combination of actual power level and just how popular they are (hence Xenoblade's Morag, "the most powerful driver in the Empire" being a Novice, but FE's Lyn being enhanceable to Legend)
You forgot that Lyn is an Ace to start with. Now, why 50% Zygarde is a Novice is something I don't quite get; in its 50% form, Zygarde has the same Base Stat Total as the pseudo-legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydreigon, etc.), Mythical Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Manaphy, Darkrai, Victini, etc.), and miscellaneous legendaries (Latias, Latios, Cresselia, etc.). Note that all of the Pokémon I listed are Spirits in Ultimate, and none of them are Novice rank. The pseudo-legends are all Advanced, and most Legendary or Mythical Pokémon are Ace or Legend ranks. Complete Zygarde being a Legend rank makes complete sense, since its Base Stat Total is on par with Arceus, and it’s kinda neat that Complete Zygarde is the only Legend rank Enhanced Spirit whose initial stage is a Novice. But seriously, 10% Zygarde would be a much better fit for Novice Rank, considering that its Base Stat Total is below 500.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You forgot that Lyn is an Ace to start with. Now, why 50% Zygarde is a Novice is something I don't quite get; in its 50% form, Zygarde has the same Base Stat Total as the pseudo-legendaries (Dragonite, Tyranitar, Metagross, Salamence, Garchomp, Hydreigon, etc.), Mythical Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Manaphy, Darkrai, Victini, etc.), and miscellaneous legendaries (Latias, Latios, Cresselia, etc.). Note that all of the Pokémon I listed are Spirits in Ultimate, and none of them are Novice rank. The pseudo-legends are all Advanced, and most Legendary or Mythical Pokémon are Ace or Legend ranks. Complete Zygarde being a Legend rank makes complete sense, since its Base Stat Total is on par with Arceus, and it’s kinda neat that Complete Zygarde is the only Legend rank Enhanced Spirit whose initial stage is a Novice. But seriously, 10% Zygarde would be a much better fit for Novice Rank, considering that its Base Stat Total is below 500.
based on the spirit battle they got him mixed up with the cores and cells

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
If this doesn’t happen, I’m gonna have to cry myself to sleep for the rest of my life.

What do you guys think his move set should be? I think his Up Smash would be Howling Wraiths, and he could have a little Soul Orb thing at the bottom, kinda like Cloud! And maybe his Neutral Special could be Focus and it would heal him, kinda like Wii Fit Trainer!

Attachments

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
If this doesn’t happen, I’m gonna have to cry myself to sleep for the rest of my life.

What do you guys think his move set should be? I think his Up Smash would be Howling Wraiths, and he could have a little Soul Orb thing at the bottom, kinda like Cloud! And maybe his Neutral Special could be Focus and it would heal him, kinda like Wii Fit Trainer!
I was thinking the same thing with the Soul Vessel like Cloud. My thought was his Special Attacks would be the spells.
Neutral: Focus (heals 20% at full vessel)
Side: Vengeful Spirit
Up: Howling Wraiths
Down: Desolate Dive (to preserve recovery, takes the Knight up into the air first then rockets back down, sorta how Sheik and ZSSamus's Down-B's work)

Using Special attacks depletes the Knight's Soul Vessel, but it's pretty easy to refill it, by dealing or taking damage. They'd use up less Soul than in the actual game too, for balance.

Last edited:

kingdark519

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking the same thing with the Soul Vessel like Cloud. My thought was his Special Attacks would be the spells.
Neutral: Focus (heals 20% at full vessel)
Side: Vengeful Spirit
Up: Howling Wraiths
Down: Desolate Dive (to preserve recovery, takes the Knight up into the air first then rockets back down, sorta how Sheik and ZSSamus's Down-B's work)

Using Special attacks depletes the Knight's Soul Vessel, but it's pretty easy to refill it, by dealing or taking damage. They'd use up less Soul than in the actual game too, for balance.
My man!

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
If The Knight's Up B is Howling Wraiths/Abyss Shriek, then how would he recover.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
If The Knight's Up B is Howling Wraiths/Abyss Shriek, then how would he recover.
Desolate Dive would be altered to have him leap up first before diving. Sorta how ZSS and Sheik can use their Down-B to recover. Think how Bowser's works when used on the ground

(Edit: oops double post, oh well what're ya gonna do)

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Desolate Dive would be altered to have him leap up first before diving. Sorta how ZSS and Sheik can use their Down-B to recover. Think how Bowser's works when used on the ground

(Edit: oops double post, oh well what're ya gonna do)
It'd only bring him straight up, and if it does bring him horizontally, it likely wouldn't be by a lot. Giving him the worst recovery in the game. I think the Abyss Shriek would be cooler as a smash attack, even though that's not how it operates.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
It'd only bring him straight up, and if it does bring him horizontally, it likely wouldn't be by a lot. Giving him the worst recovery in the game. I think the Abyss Shriek would be cooler as a smash attack, even though that's not how it operates.
It could be altered further to give him more horizontal distance- picture how the Soul Master hovers at the top of his arc for a bit when he uses it. Plus, it'd basically be the same as Chrom's recovery, which everyone thought was gonna be the worst in the game but turned out to be alright.
Or it could be like a Cloud deal where you Up-B once to go up and press again to dive back down.
I just like the idea of the spells being his B-attacks and using up Soul.

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I made another Spirit mockup. Okay, absolutely no way I'm the first person to think of this one, right? Not only is the resemblance ridiculously uncanny, but he even snaps and shoots pinkish fire. And has that whole showman aesthetic.
You know, at this point, I really want Hollow Knight content if only just because it'd be so much fun to see what Spirits they come up with (and if this isn't one of them I will be shocked)

GrimmSpirit.png

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hollow Knight for Smash! He has to move across the entire board twelve times before he figures out how to make the next attack!

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Sup y'all, I made a moveset for The Knight right over here if anyone is interested in watching/critiquing it!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Seems like someone on 4chan made a very convincing fake(i mean, it must be fake,... right?)

Hollow knight skins.png
Hollow knight screens.png
Hollow knight moves.png

These are Rayman leak quality fakes

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Seems like someone on 4chan made a very convincing fake(i mean, it must be fake,... right?)

Dream gate as an up b is something I never would have thought would work, but now that I see it I think that would be perfect. Thanks creative fake leaker, for the really neat idea.
Also I find it really funny that this guy just called him The Knight, first we get Hero, next we get Knight, clearly what's left is Mage, the best character

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman

Looks really good, but the Specials guide is a big tip-off to it being fake. The voice changes sloppily ("Lunges forward and knock over..."), but even more important, they'd be screenshots of the Knight's in-game model performing them, not the white silhouettes.

Still looks really good and makes wanting it that much more painful.

Also I find it really funny that this guy just called him The Knight, first we get Hero, next we get Knight, clearly what's left is Mage, the best character
Naming this character for Smash is really tricky. Calling it Hollow Knight would make the most sense, but it's also a very complicated spoiler, since he is a Hollow Knight- actually the one truly hollow Knight- but is never called that, cause the official title went to the failed vessel. On the other hand, just calling him the Knight might tip people off to the whole "Wait, I'm not the Hollow Knight???" twist in the City of Tears... like I said, it's tricky and complicated.

Yeesh, even talking about this character is hard. What do we call him? Is he the titular Hollow Knight or not? Is it a him? It's probably not a him if it's truly hollow...

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Looks really good, but the Specials guide is a big tip-off to it being fake. The voice changes sloppily ("Lunges forward and knock over..."), but even more important, they'd be screenshots of the Knight's in-game model performing them, not the white silhouettes.

Naming this character for Smash is really tricky. Calling it Hollow Knight would make the most sense, but it's also a very complicated spoiler, since he is a Hollow Knight- actually the one truly hollow Knight- but is never called that, cause the official title went to the failed vessel. On the other hand, just calling him the Knight might tip people off to the whole "Wait, I'm not the Hollow Knight???" twist in the City of Tears... like I said, it's tricky and complicated.

Yeesh, even talking about this character is hard. What do we call him? Is he the titular Hollow Knight or not? Is it a him? It's probably not a him if it's truly hollow...
I mean they marginalized the Dragon Quest characters as "The Hero", so why not just call a character named The Knight by just that?

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
I mean they marginalized the Dragon Quest characters as "The Hero", so why not just call a character named The Knight by just that?
Because once again, the spoiler that you aren't actually the Hollow Knight. I know Smash doesn't care about spoilers (i.e. Lucina being a walking, talking Fire Emblem spoiler) it's just me personally loving the twist and not wanting it spoiled for the tons of people who would check out HK because of Smash.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
The Knight would be a neat inclusion. His moveset practically writes itself. He's a small, light character with middling speed but insane aerial mobility on the level of Wario and Puff. His gimmick would be gaining soul when dealing damage.

neutral special (Focus) - spend soul to heal a few percent at a time. Lots of startup.
side special (Shade Soul) - spend soul to fire a projectile. similar to wolf laser in function, but no special melee hitbox and stalls downward momentum.
down special (Descending Dark) - a stop and drop ala bowser or yoshi. This move would be very laggy, but have i-frames during the drop and initial hit. Requires soul and kills reliably.
up special (Dreamgate) - a teleport recovery with relatively high startup, but DLC privilege levels of distance and laglessness.

jab - a quick two hit combo
ftilt (Longnail) - a single swipe, but with extended range
dtilt (Dream Nail) - a slow, sideways swipe that deals little damage and no knockback (rather, it has a powerful windbox) and instantly fills the soul gauge.
utilt (Longnail) - an upward swipe
fsmash (Great Slash) - lots of startup, but a huge frontal sword swipe with lots of power
dsmash (Cyclone Slash) - lots of startup, but a huge multihit that deals tons of damage on either side
usmash (Abyss Shriek) - quick, huge, and powerful, but drastically drains soul.
dash attack (Mark of Pride) - a very long ranged side swipe

nair (Thorns of Agony) - a weak AoE around the Knight with frame 2 super armor and frame 5 activation because DLC privilege.
fair - a simple nail slash frontwards
bair - identical to fair, and turns The Knight around.
dair - a downward slash. Causes The Knight to bounce upward, and causes them to regain a double jump and airdodge (even on shield)
uair - an upward slash

Throws would involve the Soul Catcher; The Knight's void tendrils toss an enemy into a sword swipe that earns more soul than a normal attack.
Dodges would be the Shade Cloak.

Playstyle would force aggression to build up soul for a finishing move, as moves that don't use up soul are either very slow/laggy or can't kill. Abyss Shriek is Snake utilt levels of ridiculous.

Marvel-Otaku-Man

Smash Apprentice

If Knight doesn't work, they could always call him the Vessel. That would be pretty unique.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
If Knight doesn't work, they could always call him the Vessel. That would be pretty unique.
I feel like that's an even bigger spoiler though, as cool as it would be. The Abyss was my favorite part of the whole game because of how utterly horrifying the revelation down there is, and I really wouldn't want it ruined for anybody.

Though, hey, if our lil empty boi ends up getting into Smash, it won't be up to us anyway and will be the least of our concerns.

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
If spoilers are a concern, the best bet is to look toward promotional material. The Knight is referred to as "Hollow Knight" on the official website.

Top Bottom