• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Walking Dead

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
This thing is turning into a monster(pun not intended) of a franchise. Award Winning Graphic novel, super bad *** show and a spin-off videogame soon to come. Season 2 just ended literally 34 minutes ago so come on Smash Boards, I can't be the only one watching/reading this series.

Let's try to keep things from the comic that haven't been in the show yet in spoilers. (spoilers go in spoilers? who would've thunk it?) If you haven't seen the latest episode this probably isn't the place to be until you catch up.

So let me start off by asking you. What was more hype; Randall's group
Woodbury
, the prison or the hooded samurai
Michionne

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I've been watching it. The season finale hasn't aired here on the west cost though.
I'm also glad I saw this topic since I pretty much forgot.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This show is awesome, I love it.

I thought about making a thread for it but I didn't because I figured it would just bring out all the haters who have nothing good to say about it or it's fans but continue to watch it anyway, like the rest of the internet. :054:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^lol I thought about that to but **** it.

Anyways, if you haven't seen the finale I'd watch out for spoilers, but it was deifnitely a proper finale. explanations->Exciting->action->drama->revelationx3->hype for season 3-> was the basic run down of the episode.

I love how much AMC is scrambling to follow up the success of TWD though. They started with putting The Killing after it, then they put Hell on Wheels which felt like they were trying to draw the Red Dead fans who watch TWD. Then they made The Talking Dead, now they're putting Comic Book men after it to keep the geeks watching all while they put commercials for Mad Men during the show while they try to connect Mad Men to TWD with TWD's music and relating Mad Men TWD. It's hilarious.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Spoilers for the episode prior to the finale:

I enjoy the series a lot, especially the acting the last couple of episodes (Rick crying from killing Shane, Shane going crazy with Randall, etc.) but there a lot of weird things that I see. For example, Shane walking Rick out really far till night, and they find that the Barn is within sight and Carl just came by to see them. And what the hell? Why can't that mother ****ing watch her son EVER? Stupid as crap.

Then in the finale, Rick talks about having killed Shane because he planned to kill him and take his wife and kids, his dumb wife is reviled with him. Which reminds me, she was the one that drove him insane with that last talk which she could have chosen her words a lot better (granted Rick also could have done that when talking about Shane, but still).

And lastly but leastly, Randall (particularly in the finale) has suddenly become this guy with a heart that you can depend on a lot, but before that, he was the most anti-social and angry of them all. That doesn't exactly stop me from thinking he is the coolest character though haha.

Besides all that, I love the show.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm surprised TWD hadn't gotten it's own thread yet. lol

Pretty good for season finale, but it did seem to be a bit of a let down after last week's episode.

I will admit though, I didn't know either of the two characters who died in this episode until I looked them up. They should have gotten slightly larger roles. :p

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Just finished it. Pretty good season finale. Overall, I liked season 1 more than season 2, but it was still good.

I agree with everything you said. I'm guessing you meant Daryl on the last paragraph though.
What? *looks back at post* Oh crap, yeah, my bad. xD Wasn't thinking when I typed that.

The biggest thought I have though I guess is wondering what the practical application of
chaining zombies together like that.
That character is definitely comic-book esque, almost seems out of place.

Also, what Triple Dash said, I couldn't even remember the dude or any of his lines. Almost a let down because I went into the episode thinking, "Who is going to die next?!" What happened was essentially no one dying. Figured the old man was going to go, they were giving that off since the start but I guess not. Enjoyed his line, "Christ promised the resurrection of the dead.. I just thought he had something different in mind."

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Spoilers for the episode prior to the finale:

I enjoy the series a lot, especially the acting the last couple of episodes (Rick crying from killing Shane, Shane going crazy with Randall, etc.) but there a lot of weird things that I see. For example, Shane walking Rick out really far till night, and they find that the Barn is within sight and Carl just came by to see them. And what the hell? Why can't that mother ****ing watch her son EVER? Stupid as crap.

Then in the finale, Rick talks about having killed Shane because he planned to kill him and take his wife and kids, his dumb wife is reviled with him. Which reminds me, she was the one that drove him insane with that last talk which she could have chosen her words a lot better (granted Rick also could have done that when talking about Shane, but still).

And lastly but leastly, Randall (particularly in the finale) has suddenly become this guy with a heart that you can depend on a lot, but before that, he was the most anti-social and angry of them all. That doesn't exactly stop me from thinking he is the coolest character though haha.

Besides all that, I love the show.
Rick and shane were probably just walking in circles, lol.

Also one of the EP's on the talking dead said that Lori was more upset at herself, because she basically orchestrated the whole thing and it happened so suddenly she didn't know if she could deal with it. or something like that.

I agree that was not the reaction I was expecting though.

What? *looks back at post* Oh crap, yeah, my bad. xD Wasn't thinking when I typed that.

The biggest thought I have though I guess is wondering what the practical application of
chaining zombies together like that.
That character is definitely comic-book esque, almost seems out of place.

Also, what Triple Dash said, I couldn't even remember the dude or any of his lines. Almost a let down because I went into the episode thinking, "Who is going to die next?!" What happened was essentially no one dying. Figured the old man was going to go, they were giving that off since the start but I guess not. Enjoyed his line, "Christ promised the resurrection of the dead.. I just thought he had something different in mind."
about the accompanying zombies (i'm sure they'll explain all of this in future episodes so if you don't want to know right now then you can skip it):
the zombies around her have their jaws and arms cut off, which basically makes it impossible for them to hurt someone. and walking around with them i'm pretty sure would deter other zombies from attacking you because, like it was explained in the beginning of the season, walkers sense humans by smell, which is why a couple of the survivors were able to avoid the herd by covering themselves with other already dead walkers.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah I was thinking that was the explanation for them, but I am still not sure, since, in order to blend in, they had to COVER themselves in blood and guts from zombies. Once it started raining they rapidly began to notice they were human. But the way you say that seems to make it sound like that is the official reason, so I guess I'll just go with it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well I was talking about the first episode of season 2, when daryl covered him and t-dog with two other walkers, and they were both able to go unnoticed by the herd that passed on the highway.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
The character that saved Andre was, comic spoiler:
is Michionne, she grabbed her boyfriend's sword when this all started and those two walkers who are *puts on glasses* unarmed, protect her from other walkers. When you live with them long enough the smell gets on your clothes and in your skin so yeah Spelt was right on the money

I'm loving Daryl but I'm hating Carrol. I'm glad they trimmed the fat character-wise though because there's a lot more characters who are going to join the group and the series is finally going to have
antagonists and consequences *wink

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I love this show. Daryl is probably my favorite character atm, followed by Rick. Quite a bit of sound character development throughout, and good action too. I'm glad it's not another one of those zombie shows where it's only action.

I've met the guys that wrote and illustrated the comics too at ComiCons. Really chill guys.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ohhhh right. Still though, those were right on top of them, whereas with Michionne seems to show that just walking among zombies somehow confuses zombies, which doesn't make sense since humans get chased surrounded by zombies anyhow.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
That's the sort of thing that made me stop watching the show. There's not a lot of consistency to the way zombies work, they're just going to show up and be as dangerous as necessary for whatever scene they're in, ignoring precedents in earlier scenes. Plus the farm arc was so boring and slow.

I wish AMC had chosen to make a zombie show not based on any existing material. They treat most of their original shows better (except Rubicon) than adaptations like TWD or The Killing and those shows turn out worse as a result. Even though TWD was insanely popular, far beyond their expectations, they slashed the budget of the second season by about a third. Because they realized people will watch a show with zombies and love it no matter how bad it is, as long as it has the appearance of a 'good' show, with slow pacing and monologues.

The pilot was so great though; it's a shame the show didn't keep up at that level.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
^I'm hoping they learned their lesson with the huge amount backlash over the last season. Regardless I still do enjoy the show though it does have it's faults. However I've decided to read the comics after the first few episodes and really enjoyed it and I'll tell you it explains how the zombies work much better. I feel like with such a slow pacing they could have started experimenting with them.

Regardless, as the comic dictates the prison is going to be the best arc. The farm was the weakest by far and was also very short, they decided to stretch it past what it needed to be but the last few episodes have all been alluding to season 3 and unless they find a way to screw that up, it's definitely worth coming back to.
Also, I was worried at first that what I'll call "Randall's Group" wouldn't be shown until season 4 because the prison arc is just so long (and interesting) but that was when I thought season 2 would be 6 episodes, they can definitely fit it all in 13 episodes but
they simply won't be able to use that slow pace and there's definitely enough story to fill it up without another 'pointless' episode.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I read a summary of each of the issues of the comics because i'm lazy (and I hate the art style).

I agree it's dumb that AMC cut it's budget, which hopefully they fix next season. I also wouldn't mind a larger season. Maybe 6-8 episodes more.

I don't really have a problem with the pacing. If the show is anything like the comic, the prison (i don't think I need to put that in spoilers because the finale made it pretty obvious that's where they're headed next) will end up much, much longer than the farm.

I think considering this is basically completely new territory for TV they're doing a great job at it. I have my problems with it just like any other show (mainly how unequally the characters have been developed so far) but I think a lot of the bigger problems with the show will probably be smoothed out throughout it's run, while they figure out what works and what doesn't.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I love Walking Dead... I haven't been able to catch any of season 2 unfortunately, but I watched all of the first season. Friend has the DVD. God, I love it. It's also really hard to believe the guy who plays Rick is British...

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My brother's girlfriend cracked up whenever (spoiler for the episode before the Season 2 finale):
Rick stabbed Shane and instead of saying, "It's you not me," he says, "Its' you not meh! Not meh!" His cry was apparently funny too.
Did anyone else feel that way?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I don't like most things with Zombies in them, due to a number of issues, but this show did remove a lot of things other material didn't have that got me to hate zombie like material.

Good show i gotta say.

:phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Season 3 has started shooting and some spoilerific on-set photos have surfaced.
Merle is back (alive) and probobably looknig for revenge because he seems to be with the Govenor, the main antagonist of this season. Yup, a human antagonist. Pictures of him are up to, as well as the hooded person from last season's finale being unmasked, though I knew who it was already.
This season will probably be the peak if it's anything like the comics, I'm not sure why the farm got an entire 2 part season but the entire seasond part of season 2 was setting this up.
/hype

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Bumping because it's back on and if there's any one who'd like to talk about the sudden change in pace then here's the place to do it.

last episode
Kind of sad they didn't use the whole phone/insane/paradise after death thing for a few more episodes but they obviously want to get rick into woodbury so the real meat of this show can take off. Ending with Michionne made me clap lol

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
watched 2 episodes of the first season so far and it's been pretty amazing so far

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
You'd think as popular as this show is, this thread would be bigger.

PS: The guvnah's a ****.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
yeah im pretty excited, ive been going through the second season. I was definitely hooked after the first episode.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
LOL wanna I saw Daryl Dixon in my alerts. Yeah this season is pretty crazy
quite literally
The last 10 minutes of the last episode though. Wow. Hype.

Yazoo

Smash Rookie
NNID
KYYazoo
3DS FC
4596-9950-4728
Oh this last episode.. too much emotional drain..

I think I'll go find a dark crevice and lie in it..

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I must say, i'm disappointed in the finale. I feel cheated, more commericals than I;ve ever sen in my life and while I liked the commercials tbh, they were pretty much just trying to make the most bucks off the audience while,
keeping the governor alive until next season so they can continue to get the views with all the tensions they've built
but the second half of this season really felt like the same pacing of the first half of season 2. To me it just felt like I was being dragged along until I could be shown 3 exciting scenes over the course of an entire season.

I implore anyone who enjoyed the finale to read the comics, especially find out what this season was supposed to be. K, I'm done complaining about a show.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah I was kinda disappointed as well, at least with the gun fight and Andrea & Milton. Mostly was surprised at how the episode didn't reflect the comics (is Andrea even dead yet in them?). Wouldn't say it was a bad episode, there was a couple moments that made me jump, but it just wasn't satisfying.

Not sure how the still living Governor will play out next season, but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more Tyreese. Overall I enjoyed this season about as much as the rest.

Now to wait until the fall when this thread is revived comes back from the dead for the Season 4.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I implore anyone who enjoyed the finale to read the comics, especially find out what this season was supposed to be.
It's not supposed to be anything...

If you want the show to be like the comics watch a different show.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
lol that's not why I disliked the finale. I still enjoy the show and don't want it to be like the comics completely but I still feel like they're trying to prolong the amount of episodes they can get out of the comics, there's a ton of stuff they didn't use and it looks like another half season of the prison is on the way.

What I'm hung up on is they went on break when tensions were high and stage was set. Then they meandered on about this war for another half season to build up tension, then the war was a small scene with insignificant effects on the cast and we're told to wait until next season for what could've been done a while ago. It was the same with Shane last season they just drag on.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the comics they were at the prison for over a year. I'm not sure how long they've been there in the show but it's definitely been nowhere near that long yet.

I'm mad about the governor too but if the writers feel like his story isn't done and they have a valid reason for keeping him around then they shouldn't kill him off just because that's what everyone wants/expects.

I feel like the pacing in this season has been fine. People just ***** whenever there's a break because they want all-out action 100% of the time but that just can't happen. There needs to be plot/character development too.

Also, I'm glad the "war" didn't play out like it did in the comics.

Top Bottom