• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The upSmash

Dpshibby

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, how ya doin'? I'm a long time lurker and rarely post but I've noticed something about Watch this time around and I gotta speak up.

I'm sure we've all noticed a few of the nerfs Watch has taken this time around. I played Watch quite a bit in Brawl so I went straight for him this time around. It's not that bad racking damage, but its harder to punish and get kill moves this time. But I've noticed a property of his upSmash that may help a few of us out.

Now, I've never seen this happen in Melee, Brawl, or PM so I can't imagine this is common knowledge at this point. I've googled it, etc and I can't find info on this so hopefully its new for you guys.

What I've found is that Watch can take attacks during the start up of his upSmash and it won't stop him. And I'm not talking about super armor or clashing/overpowering enemy moves. Right before you take an attack, immediately upSmash and the attack will hit, small clash-like circles will appear, and Watch will continue the upSmash as if nothing happened. You take no damage doing it. The effect takes place before the upSmash hitbox comes out, from what I've seen. Like when he rocks backwards.

I've tested this only a bit and I've been able to block Marth's fair, dair, and sideB with it. I've also blocked ZSS's dair and Lucario's Extremespeed hitbox, although he moves too fast to be hit by the Smash if you block on that one.

This post is getting a bit long, but tell me what you guys think. Hopefully its new and helpful but definitely let me know if this is common knowledge already.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Yea I've noticed it too. I also tried being careless and just running up to people and doing upsmash but I got hit most of the time. It's helpful but requires timing still. Pretty useful against opponents that try to get back onto stage with an Aeriel. It's not anything as good as DK punch armor but it's something. I'll do some more testing with it tonight.

Honestly I'd rather prefer the disjointed hitbox upsmash had before but oh well.

Last edited:

Dpshibby

Smash Rookie
Yeah I feel you but its pretty nice for knocking around people that try to come down on you with aerials if you can time it right. You can counter attack if they attack or charge if they try to air dodge.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
So tl;dr, G&W's up smash has super armor?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
In Melee G&W's head was intangible during Up-Smash. This was removed from Brawl because Brawl's engine only supported full body intangibility. I wouldn't be surprised if it has made a comeback this time around, especially if they brought it back for Mario too (He was the same way in Melee). Except in seems like instead of intangibility they went with invincibility (Like respawns where they can hit you but it doesn't hurt) this time around.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Yeah I noticed that the diver's helmet doesn't seem to hit as easily, which throws me off a lot. G&W definitely needed some nerfing from Brawl, but the super armor will keep this move from being useless. But still, I hate how close you have to be to strike with it. I'll keep this info in mind next time I do For Glory with him.

Top Bottom