• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unofficial Super Smash Bros Balancing Committee- Anything and everything!

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
My opinion: Guest XXXX is the way to go.

In Guest 1111, all the Miis are low or bottom tier so they're hardly ever used. With any size XXXX, Brawler and to a certain extent Gunner become serious threats to the meta game. If we want three characters to be in the meta in a healthy position, we would want a nice balance of the two. They would be high mid tier at most, so they wouldn't ruin the current meta game, but they would also be low mid tier at worst, making any Mii main be able to compete a decent amount.

As for changing their specials during a set, I would honestly allow it. It shouldn't take long to set up (and there can be a time limit to this if it becomes a problem), and as long as the other player knows which specials they're using, changing four moves at most doesn't drastically alter the character.

Sure, there are some moves that are straight up better options than all the alternatives, but most of them are significantly hurt by making the Miis normal size, so they shouldn't be too bad. And if any special move does prove to be ridiculous (i.e. Helicopter Kick), it can just be banned.

I just hate to see three entire characters be ignored because their main gimmick is restricted by tournaments, making them permanently bottom tier because their meta game was limited prematurely.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
:4ryu:The easiest solution to giving ryu a decent/good projectile is signifigantly lowering hadouken's faf to what it is in the actual street fighter games.For reference in street fighter V the recovery on light hadouken is 33 frames while in smash 4 it's 44.I don't think he deserves to be changed at all but if shoryuken is nerfed then at least make hadouken's recovery much lower to compensate.
The problem isn't the frame data- it's practically identical to Super Turbo, and fireballs are ****in' amazing in SF2- it's Smash's engine.

Much like in Marvel vs Capcom, where characters are often way too mobile for Ryu's fireball to keep up, Smash characters have way better movement than Street Fighter characters. Just giving Ryu ten less frames of commitment doesn't fix his issues in neutral, it's just a bandage on a flesh wound.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
The problem isn't the frame data- it's practically identical to Super Turbo, and fireballs are ****in' amazing in SF2- it's Smash's engine.

Much like in Marvel vs Capcom, where characters are often way too mobile for Ryu's fireball to keep up, Smash characters have way better movement than Street Fighter characters. Just giving Ryu ten less frames of commitment doesn't fix his issues in neutral, it's just a bandage on a flesh wound.
I disagree, cutting off 10 frames of lag for Hadouken would significantly help Ryu.
Putting it simply, he could do anything of out of the move 10 frames faster.
Ex: Stop or slow down approaches, pressure shields with Shakunetsu, have a better option in neutral with way less commitment, etc...

The projectile itself may not be that good as an attack in Sm4sh, but being less committed to throwing out a moving hitbox father would help Ryu's overall stage-control, especially since Sm4sh is a neutral heavy game.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
For Guest XXXX Miis, I'm sure they would be overall beneficial to the meta with very little drawbacks, since that'd be 3 less character around :4jigglypuff:'s level and none of them are too strong in their Guest XXXX state. Any size XXXX Miis though, I'm much less sure on, on one hand they'd no longer be bottom/low tier, however, :4miibrawl: and :4miigun: may end up being strong enough that they suffocate other characters viability, probably not as much as say, :4cloud2: and :4bayonetta2:, but enough to the point where they might in a way be even less balanced than there utterly terrible 1111 counterparts.

Anyways, for today let's go over what we think are the most neutral and least neutral stages in the game.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Anything you do to fix Ryu's problems besides make hadouken better, will more then likely break him.

For example, give him grab confirms off grabs so he has better burst threat.

Lol he would be top 3 easy and most characters would not stand a chance.

Auto cancel fair and better ground speed are the only things I can think of that would not break him and even that might be too much.

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
S - Neutral
Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Miiverse
A - Tournament Counterpicks
Town & City, Lylat Cruise, Dream Land 64
B - Almost Tournament Legal
Duck Hunt, Pokemon Stadium 2, Delfino Plaza, Halberd, Castle Siege, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, Kongo Jungle 64, Coliseum, Wii Fit Studio, Pilotwings, Suzaku Castle, Umbra Clock Tower
C - Great for casuals
Big Battlefield, Mario Galaxy, Mushroom Kingdom U, Peach's Castle 64, Luigi's Mansion, Woolly World, Yoshi's Island, Hyrule Castle 64, Bridge of Eldin, Pirate Ship, Kalos Pokemon League, Flat Zone X, Skyworld, Boxing Ring, Windy Hill Zone, Midgar
D - OK for casuals
Temple, Super Mario Maker, Norfair, Gamer, Mario Circuit (Brawl), Garden of Hope, Onett, Port Town Aero Dive, Wily Castle, Wrecking Crew, Mario Circuit
E - Meh for casuals
Palutena's Temple, Pyrosphere, Orbital Gate Assault, Gaur Plain, Pac-Land, Jungle Hijinxs
F - Even casuals hate these stages
The Great Cave Offensive, 75m

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I'm just gonna talk about the seven stages that are legal in most rulesets and any other stages I think should be legal.

The most neutral:
Battlefield/Miiverse - While not perfectly made (jank BF edges and annoying MV messages), it provides the most equal benefits to the entire roster without benefiting any one character too much.
Final Destination/Omega Palutena's Temple - Perfectly made, though it benefits those with effective zoning games more than rush-down characters, so not the most neutral.
Smashville - Provides some characters with ridiculous advantages, but for most of the cast, it's the best option for figuring out the opponent.

Neutral:
Town & City - Small blast zones and stretcher platforms make this stage somewhat gimmicky, but at least it's decent enough aside from these elements.
Lylat Cruise - Possibly the worst made stage, but its glitchiness can be worked around, and the platform positions and tilting are an interesting stage element.

Counterpick:
Dreamland - Different enough from the other tri-plats to warrant counterpick status due to slightly higher platforms, weird floors, large side and bottom blast zones with normal top blast zone, and of course the wind.
Omega Wily's Castle - I'm unsure whether or not to group this with FD, but this would bring another vertical wall option as a more neutral, gimmickless stage.
(Duck Hunt) - If any stage from this list is banned, it would be this one, as the highly defensive yet anti-projectile nature of the stage only helps a few characters who tend to be top tier.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Out of the tournament legal stages, I'd say Battlefield is the most neutral, tempted to say Smashville instead but :4sheik: exists, so Battlefield it is then, and to be completely honest, I'd say I'm not knowledgeable enough on how the majority of the roster is impacted on Town and City and Lylat Cruise to be able to say that one's less neutral than the other, but if I were to guess I'd guess Lylat Cruise. If Duck Hunt was still legal though, that would easily be it.

Anyway, here's the poll for today: https://goo.gl/forms/Mx1lsF8lpEflfCJI2

Since all there is for today is the poll, feel free to discuss anything else as long as it's balance related in some way.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I want to elaborate on the suggest I've made for the future of the thread.

We've done the same kind of format for five rounds now, and I've honestly gotten a bit bored of it. I would prefer to switch formats, and I don't want to rate even more characters every single day, because some need a lot of individual attention and I don't want to rush the whole process. Thus, I voted for the looser format of one tier per week.

This would allow people to talk with a lot more leniency about overall balance rather than feel restricted to discuss a single character, and people would have an entire week's opportunity to discuss instead of just a day. This would mean a greater outcome on the poll instead of many days only having two or three voters. Plus, Zero Soul works hard for this thread, and I'd like to lift some of the burden off him.

As for how the poll works, it would clearly have to change. I would prefer a checklist of all the characters in the game for each poll, with the question asking which characters the voter thinks is in the week's tier. Additional things could be added, such as a text box about the overall condition of the tier in general, but the checklist is the main priority.

Finally, voting wouldn't be necessary. You could just start at top/bottom tier and work your way down/up until all the tiers are done!

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Here's the results of yesterday's poll: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1zC9kngxBc9jkih6opoxBHK7jPAXiRErCjg2uDIgZsyY/viewanalytics
I'm happy to see the freeform option won, I think it's a better idea than what I've been doing in general and I think it also might make this thread a bit more active as the one character per day thing can be a bit suffocating for discussion at times.

And here's today's poll: https://goo.gl/forms/AMksu06OY1o2bxXS2

It's basically a continuation of yesterday's poll, other than that today's open to whatever kind of discussion you want.

Also, I just want to put it out there that while I am going to try to alter the thread's format as closely as I can to what the poll's results will be, if I see enough interest in any other ideas not on the poll here I'll try to adapt those new ideas as well, so if you want anything else changed please feel free to speak up about it, I'll be listening.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
My thoughts:

I don't really care how long each session is, as long as it's at least a week and not overly long and boring.

Yeah... Definitely don't go off the 4BR tier list. Needless to say it isn't perfect, and their format while functional doesn't match ours.*. Just go with the same seven tier names we've had in the past, and people place characters into the tiers and discuss their choices and suggested changes.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I don't think the 4BR tier list is badly designed. The only crazy outliers are :4corrinf::4bayonetta:, and :4ness: being above :4luigi::4olimar: (those 2 should be way higher IMO). :4lucario: has much to prove even after Tsu's crazy run and :4feroy: is still up to debate.

Last edited:

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
My thoughts:

I don't really care how long each session is, as long as it's at least a week and not overly long and boring.

Yeah... Definitely don't go off the 4BR tier list. Needless to say it isn't perfect or even well designed. Just go with the same seven tier names we've had in the past, and people place characters into the tiers and discuss their choices and suggested changes.
No kidding, it doesn't even list the Miis. :b:

In all seriousness, it's okay but still questionable.
dr mario is too low...

Whatever happens happens & I'm hoping for the best for this thread.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
The only crazy outliers are :4corrinf::4bayonetta: and :4ness: being above :4luigi::4olimar: (those 2 should be way higher IMO).
I'm guessing you probably didn't mean it, but this make it seem like you think Luigi and Olimar should be higher than Bayonetta. I agree that Olimar and Luigi were placed too low though, and Corrin and Ness a few spots too high.

Overall I'm pretty okay with the official list. It's not 100% correct but it's not bad either.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Here's the second half of the poll's results : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1ZJR9wSlYzKxs4AZREeIjJvAALSv08P-cPHJF8ry-3ao/viewanalytics
So, from now on it's basically decided that it's going to be one week for each of our 7 tiers and that we won't be using the 4BR Tier List, you'll instead be able to vote on a optional poll and choose which characters you think are in each tier whenever we're discussing a tier, although I'm still open to suggestions.

Anyways, we'll start our first round of the new format on Saturday at the normal time, so until then discussion is free to be about basically anything balance related.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Well, that was eerily quiet. :laugh:

Anyway, break week's over now, so we're going to vote on what tier to start tomorrow and the first week of the new format out with.

Here's the list of tiers, you can vote for anyone of these tiers right now.
Top Tier
High Tier
High-Mid Tier
Mid Tier
Low-Mid Tier
Low Tier
Bottom Tier

I'll be voting for Bottom Tier.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I'm also voting Bottom Tier, as I like going from bottom to top in tier list discussions. Albeit I hardly have any characters in bottom tier, meaning for me this will be mostly a ton of buff suggestions for a few characters.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Sorry for the slight delay, I had a internet outage and messed up while making the survey... twice.

Anyway, today's the first day of the new format, so here's the optional poll: https://goo.gl/forms/sSSTwXULRjDVC0m72

We'll be discussing who we think is in the Bottom Tier and what should and/or should not be done about them.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Bottom Tier, from worst to best:

:4jigglypuff:
Did you even have to ask? After no balance changes, she's easily the worst and loneliest character in the game with tiny range, little combo and grab game, the worst survivability, and little to no safe and strong options.
  • First of all, the range issue. She should get at least a 10% increase in range on all physical attacks so they can actually be used against most other attacks in the game without trading unfavorably.
  • D-tilt is pretty much entirely outclassed by D-smash due to less range and power with the same amount of lag. Decrease the lag so it can possibly lead to followups.
  • U-smash is just too weak for a smash attack with its lag. Increase damage to make it stronger.
  • Can we make Rollout and Sing into things that aren't wastes of move slots?
  • And, of course, Rest needs to Star/Screen KO when onstage and Blast KO when offstage. It could also get a damage and knockback increase in exchange for the removal of the flower, but that's not necessary.

:4miibrawl: 1111
With some semblance of a grab and combo game and two good special moves, they're at least better than poor Jiggs, though that's not saying much given their terrible range and recovery, among other problems.
  • Like Jigglypuff, the range on most of their attacks just doesn't cut it when compared to most other characters. Increase range on most moves so they can use their decent frame data to their advantage.
  • F-smash and D-smash need more than one active frame given how laggy they are. At least make it a sourspot or something, because right now they're basically useless kill moves.
  • D-air is also too big of a commitment for how inconsistent its hitboxes are. Decrease end lag so it isn't a death sentence offstage.
  • Why is up-B 1 so bad? It's okay as an attack, but its recovery is so gimpable that you may as well use side-B 1 instead. Increase distance and speed of travel so it's actually usable.
  • Down-B 1 should be able to grab the ledge from both sides and softly spike to give it utility at covering the ledge.

:4miisword: 1111
They have decent range and power, but with broken hitboxes, bad frame data, and bad recovery, they're still the third worst character in the game.
  • Fix all their hitboxes to match the animations. They would have good range if their animations weren't lying.
  • F-tilt and F-smash need to be more powerful, because they're too laggy for how weak they are currently.
  • U-smash should have bigger hitboxes so it's better at scooping and being an anti-air. Think like (Dark) Pit's.
  • Most of their aerials are actually quite good, except N-air should be a bit faster to improve its overall versatility.
  • Side-B 1 is way too weak for how punishable it is. Increase power to make it a bigger threat.
  • Up-B 1 is just as useless as Mii Brawler's. Increase distance and give it a rising hitbox so it's a safer and better recovery.

Overall these characters have fundamentally flawed movesets which should be entirely reworked, and then some tune-ups to certain awful moves should finish making them at least mid tier.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Zerp Zerp Can you make different options for Guest 1111 and Guest XXXX Miis in the poll? It would help minimize confusion and allow people to differentiate the two when they vote for and discuss them. I want
Sorry about that, that completely slipped my mind when making the poll, it's got both the Guest XXXX and 1111 variants now. My bad.

Guido65

Smash Apprentice
:4jigglypuff::Is a trainwreck of a character,heavily due to things like all the mechniac changes from brawl to smash 4 seemingly working against her. She also has a much worse in smash 4 as in brawl it was basically melee's but with much much less power. Uair also has far more endlag as well compared to brawl along with a few other things.

:4miibrawl::Is also a huge mess of a character in 1111. Their neutral game is awful,they're awful at killing(lacks low commitment ko moves, while also lacking killing aerials make this flaw even more apparent). Brawler also has one of the absolute worse recoveries in the game along with a very incomplete advantage state due to uair being incredibly punishable on hit and having very few ways to take a stock.

:4miisword:: For the most part is much less of a trainwreck then the previous three mostly held back by a very abusable recovery,lacking consistent kill setups,a stupid jumpsquat that makes no sense,and their mobility is below average as well along with a poor disadvantage state(combo food but has some landing options). They have a very good set of normals and a far better neutral and advantage state then the previous entries(their neutral is pretty average but it's not awful or bad either). Unfortunately mii sword has a few deadzones that still need fixed on some normals(usmash,nair,jab,dtilt) although in spite of those flaws these normals are actually incredibly good tools. Jab 1 and down tilt especially are top quality grounded pokes.

:4dedede:: Aside from :4ganondorf:is massively confusing design especially for a superheavy but for difference reasons. Why king dedede is a very confusingly designed superheavy is that he's a superheavy that can't kill. To fix him give him back his brawl up tilt, fix all his blindspots(greatly increase hitbox sizes on all his moves basically so things don't just go through opponents despite looking like the should hit), make fair autocancel in a shorthop, increase it's range a lot to match the animation, and increase the bkb by 30 so it's not insanely punishable for landing it. Make back air cover below him as well to match the animation. Undo all his nerfs as well as buff his air speed + air acceleration(0.04->0.065) air speed(0.65->0.94). These would fix a ton of the holes in his design and make him a far more functional character overall. Increase in his run speed 1.46(from 1.36) and walk acceleration(from 0 to 0.1). Finally forward tilt should have less endlag to make it at least safe on shield if spaced so he has a grounded poke to play with. These changes would help solve a ton of the problems he has while not completely removing them and altering his design.

:4ganondorf:: For a superheavy Ganon's design is very confusing. His grab is just one of the things confusing about him. The endlag on his grabs is awful along with having poor grab range. Fix this by lowering his grab faf to match dks and to make his grab range at least better then the mii's. Next improve walk accel dash accel air accel (0.03->0.1,0.01->0.035,0.03->0.05) and then improve his actual mobility stats(1.218(run speed)->1.485(new run speed),0.73(walk speed)->1.052(new walk speed) and finally 0.79(air speed)->0.88(slightly better then brawl). Now the one thing I really don't get is his lack of intangible limbs like other superheavies. All of :4bowser:,:4dk:,:4dedede:,:4charizard: have intangible moves whether they're anti airs or pokes. Give ganon's jab, ftilt, dtilt, and up smash intangibity on his legs and his arm. Ffinallyy return shac dair and slightly increase all his jump heights(now jumps as high as link). The mobility changes were there because as far as I know ganon was never that slow in the zelda games. And for one thing to help his recovery give dark dive it's grab armor back from brawl.

:4zelda:: I don't think she can be fixed at all unless you completely rehaul her.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Just making some observations on the characters, I don't know them enough to make very precise fixes.

:4jigglypuff: Give her more range on all her attacks, give her a better grab range and some good throws and make Rest always Star KO.

:4dedede: Remove all of the nerfs he received and fix his hitboxes, also make Gordos worth to use in neutral.

:4ganondorf: Buff his grab range, give him a combo/kill throw and buff his recovery so he can abuse his survivability to get rage.

:4zelda: I'm currently using her and I think the best way to fix her is to buff her mobility in general because she has no way to threaten opponents in neutral: she has good moves but they are useless because she can't practically move. Then, give her bair and fair some knockback even if they hit the sourspot (the fact that they have such a tiny sweetspot and the sourspot is so bad is baffling) and make Din's Fire worth using (at least remove freefall...)

I won't talk about buffs (or nerfs lol) for Miis because I seriously never fought or used one in a competitive environment, I will just say to give them their XXXX sets because 1111 is so stupid.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Bottom Tier, from worst to best:

:4jigglypuff:
Did you even have to ask? After no balance changes, she's easily the worst and loneliest character in the game with tiny range, little combo and grab game, the worst survivability, and little to no safe and strong options.
  • First of all, the range issue. She should get at least a 10% increase in range on all physical attacks so they can actually be used against most other attacks in the game without trading unfavorably.
  • D-tilt is pretty much entirely outclassed by D-smash due to less range and power with the same amount of lag. Decrease the lag so it can possibly lead to followups.
  • U-smash is just too weak for a smash attack with its lag. Increase damage to make it stronger.
  • Can we make Rollout and Sing into things that aren't wastes of move slots?
  • And, of course, Rest needs to Star/Screen KO when onstage and Blast KO when offstage. It could also get a damage and knockback increase in exchange for the removal of the flower, but that's not necessary.

:4miibrawl: 1111
With some semblance of a grab and combo game and two good special moves, they're at least better than poor Jiggs, though that's not saying much given their terrible range and recovery, among other problems.
  • Like Jigglypuff, the range on most of their attacks just doesn't cut it when compared to most other characters. Increase range on most moves so they can use their decent frame data to their advantage.
  • F-smash and D-smash need more than one active frame given how laggy they are. At least make it a sourspot or something, because right now they're basically useless kill moves.
  • D-air is also too big of a commitment for how inconsistent its hitboxes are. Decrease end lag so it isn't a death sentence offstage.
  • Why is up-B 1 so bad? It's okay as an attack, but its recovery is so gimpable that you may as well use side-B 1 instead. Increase distance and speed of travel so it's actually usable.
  • Down-B 1 should be able to grab the ledge from both sides and softly spike to give it utility at covering the ledge.

:4miisword: 1111
They have decent range and power, but with broken hitboxes, bad frame data, and bad recovery, they're still the third worst character in the game.
  • Fix all their hitboxes to match the animations. They would have good range if their animations weren't lying.
  • F-tilt and F-smash need to be more powerful, because they're too laggy for how weak they are currently.
  • U-smash should have bigger hitboxes so it's better at scooping and being an anti-air. Think like (Dark) Pit's.
  • Most of their aerials are actually quite good, except N-air should be a bit faster to improve its overall versatility.
  • Side-B 1 is way too weak for how punishable it is. Increase power to make it a bigger threat.
  • Up-B 1 is just as useless as Mii Brawler's. Increase distance and give it a rising hitbox so it's a safer and better recovery.

Overall these characters have fundamentally flawed movesets which should be entirely reworked, and then some tune-ups to certain awful moves should finish making them at least mid tier.

---------------------------------------------------------

I originally thought these next characters were bottom tier, but upon entirely redoing my personal tier list, they moved up to low tier. I'm saving them here so I can easily copy them over to my low tier post.

:4dedede:
He actually had a chance to be a low-mid tier competitor with a fighting chance, but then For Glory noobs made him look top tier so he got unnecessary nerfs. Range, power, and a projectile are the only things that keep him as high as he is.
  • Revert every single nerf. There's no good reason any of them happened.
  • Like Swordfighter, his hitboxes are too inconsistent to let him exploit his range. Fix those please.
  • Okay, he has the worst air speed. But by that much? Really? Increase it to 0.7 or something..
  • Give D-air some more active frames so it isn't such a downgrade from Brawl.
  • Give down-B super armor during the swing, and decrease its end lag. You all know how bad this move is, it's about time it gets a buff.

:4ganondorf:
He actually has some moves that would be crazy on a character with just a little more mobility, but being the slowest overall character in the game, he can't capitalize on them unless the opponent lets him.
  • Slightly increase all mobility. The biggest reason he struggles to do much is that he's the clone of a character who strives off mobility, which falls apart when the whole mobility aspect is severely weakened.
  • What the U-tilt is U-tilt? Why does he need another terribly slow move when he already has Warlock Punch? I want this move to be entirely redesigned so it's more like Falcon's.
  • That grab needs some attention. Increase the range so its high lag is actually worth it.
  • I don't want to do too much to neutral-B, actually, I just want to give armor to the aerial versions where and when it is on the grounded versions.
  • On the other hand, up-B needs some attention. Specifically, why is it weaker than Falcon's up-B if Ganon is supposed to be stronger? Give the punch and the grab more power.

:4zelda:
Her combo game is quite impressive and she has some scary moves, but like Ganondorf, her slow mobility combined with bad hitboxes and/or frame data on her main approach tools make her unable to use them much.
  • Slightly increase all mobility. If she could move faster, her approach and punish game would improve drastically.
  • Fix F-smash and U-smash so they connect more reliably. They're pretty good right now, but most of her ground moves are amazing, so these seem lackluster in comparison.
  • Make the sweetspots on F-air, B-air, and D-air easier to land. Her aerial game can be quite threatening if the timing and spacing of the sweetspots are mastered, but they're way too hard to land as of now.
  • What even is side-B? It needs more control over its flight as well as no free fall afterward.
  • Up-B is really good at attacking and recovering...except for its huge, unnecessary end lag (before you can start aerial drifting in free fall). Greatly decrease that please.

:4miigun: 1111
The best of the Miis without custom moves, but still quite poor compared to the rest of the cast. It was hard for me to decide exactly where they should go in the tier (apart from above Dedede) because of their volatile nature, but I decided to put them here.
  • Most of their grounded moves need to be entirely reworked. They should all connect more consistently and have less lag, because currently they're all quite mediocre compared to their other moves and other characters' ground moves.
  • Their throws should also be more useful. D-throw and U-throw should have a more friendly knockback for combos, and F-throw and B-throw should be a bit stronger for better positioning or killing.
  • U-air should get less end lag and landing lag, because it's basically a death sentence offstage and its drag-down followups are limited. If this proves to be too ridiculous, it can also receive a slight nerf in range or active frames.
  • Hooray for more D-airs that need to be buffed! Make it come out a bit quicker and have a few frames as a sourspot.
  • I'm not sure if their down-B got buffed when Fox's did. If not, then please do that. Besides that, their special moves are actually quite good, and the best part about them.
Updated my post with balance changes for everyone, and moving some characters to low tier. Feel free to discuss if you disagree!

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
(Maybe :4kirby:):4bowserjr::4zelda::4miigun::4dedede::4jigglypuff::4miisword::4ganondorf::4miibrawl:

is what my current Bottom Tier looks like. All the Miis are in their Guest 1111 versions.

Anyway, I'd like to talk for a bit about a few of these characters.

:4dedede: and:4jigglypuff: are the unfortunate poster children for neglect in this game, they have never been buffed despite the fact that they are pretty obvious choices for Bottom Tier, in Dedede's case he received numerous nerfs over time, presumably because For Glory players couldn't handle him, and Jigglypuff received a sole change, a bug fix that got rid of a useful shield-breaking tech. Rather unfortunate.

So basically, Jigglypuff doesn't have enough to make up for her extreme frailty, Rest is powerful but comes somewhat late into the stock and is a big risk, meanwhile in contrast Dedede has extreme survivability but also happens to have extreme lag and not enough power to back up said laggy moves. For Dedede, I'd suggest getting rid of all his old nerfs, which put bluntly were pointless, fix some of his obviously broken hitboxes and either make his moves more powerful, or preferably, make them faster. For Jigglypuff, some things she could use are less knockback on some throws so she can combo off of them and/or a actual kill throw, slightly more airspeed, safer aerials on shield / or a better grab/Pound, better grounded hitboxes and quicker smash attacks. Although, honestly, at this point I don't truly care much what kind of buffs these two are given, give them pretty much any buffs and I will be grateful, what I care more about is the seeming lack of care these two are victims of.

Also, I feel that :4ganondorf: and :4zelda: would take less work to fix up, in my opinion all they really need is a mobility boost, there's a few other things that would be good (like making Ganon's Up-B stronger than Falcons, or Zelda's side-B sending her into free-fall for some unholy reason) for them to receive, but once you give them some more mobility all that's really needed is some minor touch-ups.

So, anyway, here's the results of the poll: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1A4HJgj1lJTxoZNc_uoI0KW5PGs9JuMxlJgYDaBu7qoA/viewanalytics

Somewhat interesting, if I were to try to make a tier list out of this, this is what I'd get::4dedede::4miisword::4miibrawl::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4zelda::4jigglypuff:

King Dedede, 1111 Swordfighter, and 1111 Brawler got 50%, Bowser Jr, Ganondorf, and Zelda got 75%, and Jigglypuff's the sole character who 100% of the votes put her in Bottom Tier (which is really just 4 votes lol). In a way, doesn't the fact that she's the only character that got all the votes kinda make her the winner? I'm not sure I'd be very proud of winning that.

Anyhow, it's Low Tier's turn for discussion now, so here's the poll for Low Tier: https://goo.gl/forms/PrMKeW3ITVNdiQRE2

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Low Tier, from worst to best:

:4dedede:
He actually had a chance to be a low-mid tier competitor with a fighting chance, but then For Glory noobs made him look top tier, so he got unnecessary nerfs. Range, power, and a projectile are the only things that keep him in this tier.
  • Revert every single nerf. There's no good reason any of them happened.
  • Like Swordfighter, his hitboxes are too inconsistent to let him exploit his range. Fix those please.
  • Okay, he has the worst air speed. But by that much? Really? Increase it to 0.7 or something.
  • Give D-air some more active frames so it isn't such a downgrade from Brawl.
  • Give down-B super armor during the swing, and decrease its end lag. You all know how bad this move is, it's about time it gets a buff.

:4ganondorf:
He actually has some moves that would be crazy on a character with just a little more mobility, but being the slowest overall character in the game, he can't capitalize on them unless the opponent lets him.
  • Slightly increase all mobility. The biggest reason he struggles to do much is that he's the clone of a character who strives off mobility, which falls apart when the whole mobility aspect is severely weakened.
  • What the U-tilt is U-tilt? Why does he need another terribly slow move when he already has Warlock Punch? I want this move to be entirely redesigned so it's more like Falcon's.
  • That grab needs some attention. Increase the range so its high lag is actually worth it.
  • I don't want to do too much to neutral-B, actually, I just want to give armor to the aerial versions where and when it is on the grounded versions.
  • On the other hand, up-B needs some attention. Specifically, why is it weaker than Falcon's up-B if Ganon is supposed to be stronger? Give the punch and the grab more power.

:4zelda:
Her combo game is quite impressive and she has some scary moves, but like Ganondorf, her slow mobility combined with bad hitboxes and/or frame data on her main approach tools make her unable to use them much.
  • Slightly increase all mobility. If she could move faster, her approach and punish game would improve drastically.
  • Fix F-smash and U-smash so they connect more reliably. They're pretty good right now, but most of her ground moves are amazing, so these seem lackluster in comparison.
  • Make the sweetspots on F-air, B-air, and D-air easier to land. Her aerial game can be quite threatening if the timing and spacing of the sweetspots are mastered, but they're way too hard to land as of now.
  • What even is side-B? It needs more control over its flight as well as no free fall afterward.
  • Up-B is really good at attacking and recovering...except for its huge, unnecessary end lag (before you can start aerial drifting in free fall). Greatly decrease that please.

:4miigun: 1111
The best of the Miis without custom moves, but still quite poor compared to the rest of the cast. It was hard for me to decide exactly where they should go in the tier because of their volatile nature, but I decided to put them here.
  • Most of their grounded moves need to be entirely reworked. They should all connect more consistently and have less lag, because currently they're all quite mediocre compared to their other moves and other characters' ground moves.
  • Their throws should also be more useful. D-throw and U-throw should have a more friendly knockback for combos, and F-throw and B-throw should be a bit stronger for better positioning or killing.
  • U-air should get less end lag and landing lag, because it's basically a death sentence offstage and its drag-down followups are limited. If this proves to be too ridiculous, it can also receive a slight nerf in range or active frames.
  • Hooray for more D-airs that need to be buffed! Make it come out a bit quicker and have a few frames as a sourspot.
  • I'm not sure if their down-B got buffed when Fox's did. If not, then please do that. Besides that, their special moves are actually quite good, and the best part about them.

:4bowserjr:
He's actually gotten a decent amount of buffs, but unfortunately he still suffers from plenty of terrible design choices, making him only useful in a small amount of situations.
  • Like Gunner, his grounded moves are all quite lackluster. They should all do more damage; dash attack, jab and D-tilt should connect more reliably; and F-tilt and U-tilt should have more range.
  • It confuses me why they ignored D-smash while buffing his other smashes, as D-smash was already the worst of the three. Buff its damage so it's actually a threat to make up for its lag.
  • His grab game is on par with Pac-Man's, and that's not good. Grab should have more range, D-throw should have much less knockback for followups, and his other throws should have more knockback for killing/positioning.
  • Of his great aerials, N-air needs the most attention. It should have more active frames or less end lag so it has fewer inactive frames overall, making it a better option coverage tool.
  • Just...do something with neutral-B. Please.
  • Up-B shouldn't be that easy to gimp. Why something as weak as a Mario N-air can render it useless beats me.

:4drmario:
Like Ganondorf, he suffers from being the clone of a character who relies on mobility, with the whole mobility aspect removed. There are a couple other things that keep him this low, but this is the main one.
  • Firstly, don't increase mobility, because that would homogenize him too much with Mario. Instead:
  • Increase weight. If they're going to treat him as a heavy Mario, make him a heavy Mario.
  • Slightly increase the damage of most of his moves to make him more unique from Mario and better at what he does, as well as remove the weird decimals that came as a result from getting a damage multiplier from Mario's moves.
  • D-air is pretty mediocre for the few benefits it grants. Reduce its startup and its landing lag and it might actually be a move worth using over his other aerials.
  • Decrease end lag of neutral-B to make up for its bounce being worse than Mario's.
  • Down-B should keep more momentum after its final hit to make it better at recovery.

:4wiifit:
I would like to think they have enough potential to be higher than this, but unfortunately they simply don't have nearly enough results to support this, leading me to believe she is indeed low tier.
  • Those hitboxes, they need a'fixin. This would help with most of their current problems.
  • Jab should have lower angles on hits 1 and 2 to bury more consistently, and have hit 3 do more damage so the combo is better at racking up damage and has more knockback when it doesn't bury.
  • Can one of her throws be a bit better at comboing? Maybe remove weight dependency of D-throw or something.
  • B-air would be better if its sweetspot were a frame longer and it had a bit less end lag.
  • I'd like it if up-B were just a little more threatening, as it goes decently far vertically, but its horizontal movement is limited and its hitboxes are laughably weak.

:4falco:
Like many characters below him, he's gotten plenty of buffs, but none of them have addressed his core flaws. He does seem to have the most potential of this tier, though, with a few people like AC doing work with him.
  • Hooray for more long-overdue mobility buffs! After all, higher ground speed is canon and he prefers the air, so why not?
  • Jab should jab lock and generally be more consistent. The slide-off combos it can cause are cool, but nothing else about it really is, and that's a shame.
  • D-air, why does your hitbox last so short when your animation lasts so long?
  • Neutral-B should have a bit less end lag, though with the mobility buffs, anything more than a bit would be ridiculous.
  • Why is Fox's up-B better than Falco's in both recovery and power? Make Falco's a lot stronger like it was in Melee so it isn't straight-up worse than Fox's.

Overall this tier has a bit more hope in succeeding in the meta game, but still need a good amount of buffs that address their core problems rather than slight tune-ups to what was already good about them.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Given the amount of activity this week, I guess I really am not alone when I consider Low Tier to be the most booorrrriiiinnnnngggggg tier there is! Like seriously, I don't know what exactly it is about this tier but it's filled with this certain feeling of inescapable dullness.

Characters I think are Low Tier::4gaw::4samus::4wiifit::4miisword:(GXXXX):4charizard::4palutena::4drmario::4falco::4pacman::4kirby:

Most of these characters are just flat-out underpowered, they're generally characters with a working design but are either a tad slow or just don't pack the punch they need to. For most of them you can just give out quality of life buffs all over the place and like one or two moderate buffs that address their chief weakness and they'd be fine. For example, Kirby's almost good on paper, but if you fixed up his airspeed so he can actually approach somewhat safely as his major flaw, and then just gave out a bunch of minor buffs to the rest of his kit I reckon he'd be pretty well off.

Here's the results for Low Tier: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1X8Vu1CtRgUnrlI4n0Q8yD7lIaP0l6S9gv9Jnyr327gQ/viewanalytics

Also, I tried to make a tier list the same way I did last week to see how weird it'd get, and I'm not disappointed at all
Low Tier: :4miigun::4dedede::4falco::4ganondorf::4zelda::4drmario::4bowserjr::4wiifit:
Bottom Tier::4dedede::4miisword::4miibrawl::4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4zelda::4jigglypuff:
So, like, Dedede's better than Wii Fit Trainer who got 100% votes for Low Tier since he got 66% for Low Tier, but he's also worse than her because he was voted into Bottom Tier. How dededeceptive.

Also, since it's now Low Tiers time has come and gone, here's the poll to a less boring tier, Low-Mid Tier: https://goo.gl/forms/FKCPLcU1UOYhH7Xr2

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Zerp Zerp A small nitpick, but the poll's second question still says "Low Tier", not "Low-Mid Tier".

This thread is kinda hard to post in now, as my tier list is changing so much. This week should be low-mid tier, but some of the characters I'm about to discuss are high-mid tier in my eyes, as there are just so many good characters in this game.

Regardless, since I have talked about 11 characters and there are 58 total, I should probably split the remaining 47 characters up somewhat evenly, so here are my next 9 characters, from worst to best (sorry, the rest of my posts here are going to be huge):

:4charizard:
Just barely scraping out of low tier (literally), this dragon has it all...I wish. Sadly, his mobility is suffering, and combining that with subpar frame data and lots of mediocre moves, he just isn't used much in tournament at all.
  • His aerial mobility just isn't cutting it. Slightly increase air speed and give him a third jump, and he might actually be a threat in the air like a dragon should.
  • D-tilt needs a bit of attention. Instead of...whatever the windbox is now, the hitbox itself should be bigger.
  • Compared to his great U-smash, his other smashes are laughable. D-smash needs a bit more power and F-smash needs a bit less overall lag.
  • His D-air is okay, but I'd like the sourspot to do more damage for better pressure and kill ability when he whiffs with the laggy sweetspot.
  • Neutral-B should have a bit less end lag so he has a good way to approach and zone besides his volatile B-air.

:4gaw:
I honestly don't know how to feel about Game & Watch. He has the combo game, kill setups, mixups, and recovery necessary to be a huge threat on paper, but his terrible survivability and bad neutral game nullify most of those strengths.
  • D-tilt is pretty good, but I'd like to make it better. Change its knockback to be vertical instead of horizontal, and immediately the move can combo as well as kill better no matter the stage positioning.
  • D-throw is fine, but his other throws need attention. F-throw and B-throw should have a lower launch angles to enhance their positioning, and U-throw should have more knockback growth to make it a semi-viable kill throw.
  • F-air makes me sad after what it was in Brawl. Why did it need to be made much weaker, again?
  • Like Charizard, neutral-B would be so much better with just a bit less overall lag.
  • Oil Panic is a bit unbalanced right now. The absorbing animation should be a lot less laggy so it's actually worth using in more matchups, but to compensate, the attack should come out slower.

[Wii Fit Trainer]

:4littlemac:
An absolute threat when perfected, this character's ground game is near unparalleled. Unfortunately, he's a glass cannon in a way that doesn't benefit him in the end, as Smash's heavy reliance on being more than a typical fighter hurts his chances, since he definitely ain't no air fighter.
  • Revert all nerfs. Let's be honest, they were only done because For Glory noobs couldn't handle him.
  • His ground game is fantastic, of course, but his grab game could be better for his (understandably) bad grab. Like Game & Watch, D-throw is fine, but the other throws need a bit more knockback.
  • Yes, his aerial game is bad. But I'd like it to be easier to get back to the ground, so slightly decrease landing lag of all aerials (especially B-air and D-air), and make one of his aerials autocancel at the starting frames.
  • Understandably aerial KO Punch should be weaker, but why THAT much weaker? Increase damage.

:4palutena:
Prince Ramen caught everyone's attention when he 2-0'ed ZeRo at CEO 2016, but it's clear that was just a fluke, as at ZeRo's runback at ZeRo Saga, Ramen didn't take a single game. With more and more Palutena mains resorting to their secondaries, the future doesn't look too bright for her.
  • Revert the two nerfs she got, smaller pivot grab range and the removal of F-tilt's multi-hit. Why she got these nerfs in the first place confuses me, as she's never been considered overwhelming at any level of play as far as I've heard.
  • U-tilt should have a bit less end lag to make it better at pressuring and comboing.
  • D-air should have less end lag so it has a reason for its short range and low knockback.
  • Onto the fun stuff, we have Autoreticle. Slightly decrease startup and end lag so it might actually be usable in the neutral. Don't make it stay locked onto the target, because that's kinda ridiculous.
  • And, of course, Counter is laughably bad. Make it hover in the air like the other counters, and decrease end lag so it has a reason for it being so weak.

:4pacman:
After being considered high tier during Abadango's time with him, he has slowly dropped to somewhere in mid tier. He has so much potential that I'd love to put him higher, but unfortunately key moves (pun intended) that could be great are either too slow or not nearly powerful enough to make his moveset threatening.
  • Just make his smash attacks less laggy overall. I like how they're stronger now, but that doesn't matter at all if you can't even land them in the first place.
  • GRAB.
  • D-air should have less landing lag and a downward angle to make it actually have use over his other aerials.
  • Bonus Fruit should charge faster. This as well as the smash attacks are the key to fixing his game plan, as this would actually make his ridiculous projectile game usable.
  • The glitch with the extreme bounceback from corners during side-B needs to go. Why is it still a thing?

[Falco]

[HIGH-MID TIER]

:4myfriends:
Where did you go? How did this once-tournament threat become rather irrelevant so quickly? Oh, I know: People dropped him for characters who can get either more reward or less risk while having the other strengths he has.
  • I would buff F-smash a bit in power. His other smash attacks currently outclass it in range (U-smash) or frame data (D-smash), and F-smash's higher power isn't enough to make it stand out.
  • F-throw needs something. D-throw combos early and kills later, U-throw combos reliably, and B-throw has good knockback for stage positioning, whereas F-throw doesn't have much going for it. Make it like a forward version of B-throw, preferably.
  • D-air is by far his worst aerial, and deserving of attention. It should get a sourspot that lasts a short time and has similar knockback to Cloud's sourspot D-air, so the move has more use than an overly laggy disrespect move or a jab lock at really low percent.
  • Aether needs more super armor so it isn't so easy to edgeguard, and to make up for having almost no horizontal movement.

:4kirby:
"KOMOTA BEATS ALLY!" Enough to make people pay attention to this pink puffball. He has certain high to top tier matchups like Mario and Fox that he has a chance in, but at the same time, his low mobility and range limit his theory from expanding too far, so I feel this is a perfect spot.
  • Ugh, that mobility. I hate to repeat myself, but this character would immediately rise quite far with just a mobility buff.
  • D-throw just doesn't cut it right now. Give it some more damage output, and it might make up for its lack of combo and killing ability.
  • N-air is good onstage and its knockback is perfect for edgeguarding, I just wish it had less end lag so you aren't basically signing a death note by using it offstage.
  • U-air should have less end lag so it's a better juggling, comboing, and anti-edgeguarding option.
  • All of his specials (besides maybe neutral-B) should get a slight overall decrease in lag, as they all aren't that useful besides up-B being a recovery move.

:4feroy:
I, too, thought he was low tier just months ago, but then suddenly tons of players started using and winning with him, making me reconsider. His punish game is definitely more versatile and strong than I once thought, and his recovery isn't that bad, either. He still struggles with some aspects, but at least he has good mobility and advantage state.
  • His full jump and double jump height has to increase. His short hop is useful for approaches, but the others are way too short to effectively juggle, chase in the air, or recover well.
  • D-smash should have less end lag, considering it's an even less safe move than Marcina's D-smash because of the tipper sourspot.
  • B-throw is a sad excuse for a move. The angle should be lower and the knockback growth should increase a bit so it's actually useful for positioning, instead of having too little knockback and too much end lag to do anything.
  • D-air should have an initial hitbox to spike and a short-lasting sourspot afterward to launch upward instead of what it has now, which is not nearly useful enough to risk using offstage most of the time.
  • Aerial Blazer should get a bit of super armor to make up for it going shorter and being weaker than the grounded version.

:4samus:
Remember when she was the worst character in the game? So does Sakurai, as she got tons of buffs that fixed a lot of her biggest issues. Not to say she's flawless, as she's not used too much, but when IcyMist or Afro Smash show up or ESAM or Salem pull her out of their pockets, she can truly get the job done with her versatility.
  • Obviously, jab 2 should be less terrible than it is now, so she can actually land her jab combo.
  • U-smash should have significantly larger hitboxes on all hits, so it connects much more reliably on most opponents who are grounded or on platforms.
  • D-smash should have the same damage on the front hit as on the back hit, so it isn't way too weak for its lag.
  • Hooray for more characters that need generally better throws besides D-throw!
  • Remember in Melee when Missiles were good? Those were the days...

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Characters I think of as low-mid tier::4myfriends::4shulk::4miigun:(GXXXX):4link: (please don't kill me yet)* :4wario2::4littlemac::4duckhunt:

I don't think of these characters as being bad per say, they're all good enough to win the largest events in the world with the right player and the right amount of work, but they aren't exactly great in my eyes either.All of these characters could use moderate buffs despite being good and it wouldn't break the game.

Also, the lack of significant buffs :4duckhunt:'s received overtime saddens me, someone please give this doggo more reliable kill options and make his smashes connect a tad more reliably.

Here's Low-Mid Tier's results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Vdetb7zXYjV2vzEsxYThc_ENNDU2ubUrPL2MeRQszSw/viewanalytics

And now, since we're done with Low-Mid Tier, here's Middle Tier's poll: https://goo.gl/forms/dzfZhu3Y0s9ZlIxh2

Also, I'd like to make it known that you don't have to post about every character in a tier if you don't want to talk about them, like, if for example think :4cloud:'s mid-tier and you only want to talk about him, be my guest!

* Okay, you may light me on fire now.

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
The next seven/eight characters on my list (worst to best):

[UPPER MID, cont.]

:4wario2:
His game plan centralizes too much on Waft, with the rest of his moveset being mediocre in comparison. I don't want to do too much to him lest I make him broken, but I will touch on his worst moves that should get buffed.
  • Jab is entirely outclassed by D-tilt. Make it connect better and do a bit more damage so this isn't the case.
  • D-smash. That is all.
  • F-air could use less end lag so it can actually string into other things in the air without easily being air-dodged.
  • Up-B isn't that good of a recovery, and it's a laughable attack, too? Make the hits connect much better to give it some offensive use so it's not his worst special move by far.

:4duckhunt:
Brood and Raito showed the US at Genesis 4 and CEO Dreamland that Duck Hunt has what it takes to beat the best of the best. He still can't kill early, but at least he has setups for damage or kills, and his trap and combo game are much better than people make it out to be.
  • Every single multi-hit needs to be more consistent. Jab, smash attacks, U-air, and D-air would all benefit from this change that should hopefully be obvious at this point.
  • N-air desperately needs bigger hitboxes so you can hit someone without having to be inside them.
  • Duck Jump should start moving sooner so the duo aren't a sitting duck (and dog) during the startup.

:4yoshi:
Remember when we all thought he was top tier? It's clear now that his mostly amazing frame data is hiding his crippling flaws of bad defensive options, mediocre followups, and a couple of terrible moves.
  • If his grab is going to be bad, his throws should make up for it, and yet his only good throw is D-throw. So yet again, we have a character that needs power buffs to all their throws except D-throw!
  • And, of course, there's side-B, which is basically suicide offstage and has way too much startup in any case. Fix the first issue and give it a bit more power and it might be usable.

:4rob:
I feel weird putting him here, as he really only has one thing about him that needs to be fixed. He does have a couple of other somewhat bad options that I touch on below, but mostly he just needs a bit more representation and results to rise up. Currently he has Raffi-X, LoNg0uw, 8BitMan, and sometimes Wadi playing him well, and if they did better with him, maybe he could rise.
  • Why is side-B so laggy when it's not that strong and its reflection abilities are mediocre at best? Decrease startup and end lag to make it worth using without it being a mis-input.
  • Other moves that could use slight tune-ups include F-tilt, F-throw, F-air, and B-air.

[LOWER HIGH]

:4shulk:
The Monado boy has shown up immensely recently. We all used to think we was low tier, but with Kome, Nicko, and M showing up recently, he has definitely shown himself to be a viable tournament threat. He still has the crippling weakness of bad startup on all his moves, but he has enough strengths to mostly make up for it.
  • D-air could use some more active frames. Both his U-air and D-air have similar problems in terms of lag, inconsistency, and brief hitboxes, but at least U-air is stupidly strong to make up for it, whereas D-air just doesn't have much going for it currently.
  • My god, his side-B is bad. And of all its flaws, the worst one is that it's an instant suicide if you use it offstage, which makes switching Monado Arts offstage extremely risky if you mis-input. I'd make it end at some point in the air, or have it be cancelable during the falling animation, obviously with some lag so it isn't crazy.

:4pit:/:4darkpit:
You didn't need me to tell you that these characters would end up in Upper Mid to Lower High, that's basically a given at this point. What wasn't a given for a while is Dark Pit being attached to Pit, as for a while we mostly saw Pit through Earth and Kuro, and Dark Pit hardly at all. However, Earth has finally resorted to Dark Pit, and with Kameme also playing him, he has at last justified his spot beside his less edgy self. Anyhow, here are the slight buffs I would give them:
  • BOTH: Slightly increase aerial mobility, though too much would make some aerials (like D-air) too ridiculous.
  • DARK PIT: F-tilt should have less lag to make up for it being weaker than Pit's, and neutral-B should be more powerful to make up for it being laggier and harder to aim than Pit's.
  • PIT: Why was his side-B not buffed when Dark Pit's was? Either make it stronger to match Dark Pit's or make it less laggy to compensate for it being weaker.

:4robinm:
I feel like Robin has dropped significantly since the Dath hype from Shine 2016. We're still seeing Robin get work done through Dath and Skorpio among others, but not nearly to the extent they did then, and their flaws are becoming more and more prevalent. I can see them fall a bit further in the future if this inactivity continues, but for now, here's where they fall short.What's the point of U-throw, again?
  • Grab is fine being as laggy as it is, given how great Robin's grab game is, aside from...
  • U-throw. What's the point of this move, again?
  • Both parts of up-B should only count as one use of the Wind Tome. This would make their recovery not leave them helpless with no boost if you run out mid-recovery and give more reason to use the multi-jab. To compensate (if necessary), the Wind Tome can have its uses be decreased.
  • Down-B needs to not be bad. Make it not go into free fall in the air, and make its Tome respawn more quickly. To compensate (if necessary), the damage healed can be slightly decreased.

Also, to everyone else, don't feel daunted just because you see my massive post. Like Zero Soul said, you can just talk about the tier as a whole or certain characters in it, you don't have to make changes for and discuss in depth every character like I do.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
OK, here is what I'd like to say about Mid Tier.

Mid Tier+

:4tlink: A big fall of grace IMO. Without Hyuga and Japanese trio this character has struggled really hard, with some of his MUs have gotten worse overtime. I still think he is as good as Hyuga said and Tink certainly has tools to do things. If I had to change Tink I would give his throws a couple more utility. D-Throw has no purpose so it could be a combo throw and F-Throw could be redone to be a Duck Hunt Dog F-Throw, having combo potential at low % and being a position throw later.
:4corrinf: She has a lot of ridiculous moves like Fair, Side B and Nair but somehow she doesn't live up to her hype. Maybe with Leo she will look better than I place her and I'm not denying she has good options, but for now she is not worthy of high tier.
:4pikachu: This rat is extremely vulnerable to rage, has no rep, and a lot of his MUs have gotten worse overtime. I only put Pikachu here because he has a lot of good options. If I changed something about Pikachu I would make his Up Throw Thunder more reliable.
:4ness: Even with his increasingly bad reputation Ness still performs decently at the events his players bother to show up and he undeniably has a lot of good moves to cheese games. If I had to change something I would remove PKT2's distance half-on-collision clause, remove PK Flash helpless, give his tilts quality of life changes, and give Dair a purpose.
:4lucas:Lucas has a very good moveset that doesn't need changes (besides PK Freeze freefall) but the problem is that he never does anything nowadays, as no one plays him.
:4bowser: The hype is over and I can safely say Bowser is not leaving this tier. He has a lot of tools to do well but he doesn't have rep nowadays. I wouldn't change him as he is polarizing enough as he is.
:4pit:Pit is not the pinnacle of balance like everyone preaches, he has a lot of terrible MUs product of not having an advantage state or a move to cheese games. Earth has been relying in Corrin a lot these days and Kuro typically drowns in pools. If I could change something abou Pit is A) Fix some of his pathetic hitboxes like Nair's. B) Make Uair and Bair better KO moves. I know certain fanboy will disagree but relity is that Pit isn't doing hot.
:4link:T's stellar performance proved what Link is capable of, but I can't place Link higher until there are more results to prove Link's tier jumping.
:4robinf:She has a lot of ridiculous tools but she has fallen off really hard since the Dath hype.

Mid Tier -
:4shulk:Shulk has gotten a big push recently. I could change something is giving the Cloud/Link Dair treatment to some of his laggy/long lasting moves like Dair.
:4myfriends:He has fallen off hard. I think he has a lot of good options but he has no rep.
:4rob:He wants prepatch Up Throw back. Wouldn't make his horrid MUs less miserable but it would be something helpful.
:4yoshi:He needs a grab, period. Or throws that are worth a damn.
:4duckhunt:The Japanese trio has pushed DHD for the better but I think DHD needs buffs to his "kill moves." Uair should be less SDIable. His Smash Attacks need bigger hitboxes and better linking. Bair's sourspot should be deleted as it is not useful. Nair could use bigger hitboxes so the killer portion can be usable. D-Throw Uair could be made reliable.
:4wario2:Everything L1N3RID3R said.
:4pacman:Fall of grace, should have a grab that doesn't Witch Time himself and a reliable KO move.
:4samus: Samus had good performances recently and truth be told she has a lot of underrated good options. All she needs are missiles that aren't complete trash and a kill throw doesn't seem farfetch'd.
:4feroy:He has a lot of dumb buttons and pressure tools not many people give him credit for.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Honestly, I'm not even sure who I think is Middle of Middle Tier other than R.O.B., Guest XXXX Swordfighter and Guest XXXX Brawler (and Yoshi, factoring his results, but I strongly feel his results are being held back heavily from what they could be), nobody else really feels a tier above Wario and crew, and simultaneously a tier below stuff like Pit. Maybe I'm just tired or something, who knows. Well, I guess that means I'll talk about R.O.B.. Really all I can say about him is that he's good, but not that good, I'd give him some quality of life buffs and not much else.

Anyway, here's Middle Tier's results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lRwoFtsF1w8J6zs4KdPQwgydlMZkfNthgfq94oT8NmA/viewanalytics

And here's the poll for High-Mid Tier, since that's the new topic: https://goo.gl/forms/BsToxAHICm9wUrrX2

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I've adjusted my list somewhat, so now these next 9 characters are cleanly in a single tier, which I call low-high tier but lines up the most with high-mid tier in this format. Here they are, from worst to best:

:4bowser:
The hype from Nairo has died out, so now I feel confident putting Bowser in an accurate spot. The Koo Pah will always keep him somewhat relevant, but until more strategies come out, I could see him fall even further.
  • To make him a bit better at landing, weak D-air should do a bit more damage.
  • Neutral-B should be a bit less laggy overall because the lag is a bit too much for how inconsistent the hitboxes are currently.
  • Another move that could be buffed but wouldn't do too much is D-smash.

:4lucas:
I still think he's better than Ness at his peak, but for now I'll put him here since Taiheita has dropped a bit and FOW has returned. Regardless, he's still a threat that can suddenly come from nowhere and put in serious work, easily capable of rising to upper high.
  • U-smash could use a buff in power, as for some reason it got nerfed in power from Brawl with no compensation in frame data or anything else, even though it wasn't a troublesome move in Brawl.
  • Neutral-B has zero reason to go into freefall. Absolutely none. Get rid of that please.

:4ness:
I feel like his simplicity makes this position volatile, and ultimately he will fall a little from where he is now. He's crazy when he gets the advantage, but I predict his struggles in the disadvantage will ultimately make him fall to mid tier.
  • I've always thought that his ridiculously strong moves like PK Thunder 2 and B-throw should be nerfed, but other weaker moves should be buffed to compensate. However, that would only make him more balanced with the same overall viability, so it's not needed. Instead, I'll only talk about the things that do need changed:
  • He needs some way to combat Luma. Of his weaknesses, the fact that a top tier that has recently had a resurgence can nullify his game plan really hinders his viability. Give some of his quicker moves more base knockback but less knockback growth to compensate for this without making them ridiculous.
  • And of course, neutral-B has even less of a reason to go into freefall than Lucas's. Sakurai, what were you thinking?

:4link:
Whereas M's run to Winners Finals at BEAST 7 wasn't too spectacular considering the highest competition was Mr. R, who wiped the floor with him, T's run to Winners Finals at Civil War is a whole different story, opening people's eyes up to what this character can truly do. He might not move as fast as his cartoon self, but his range and power make up for it.
  • If they're going to treat B-air as a combo move, decrease its knockback growth to make it one.
  • Neutral-B and side-B could use slight buffs in power or speed to make them even better at what they do.

:4greninja:
He's fallen off a bit recently, but he still has tons of players putting in a good amount of work with him, leading me to believe that his ridiculous theory is sufficient to make him a viable tournament threat.
  • The only thing he needs fixed is the programming flaw where his side-B takes priority on a diagonal input for some reason. Up-B is an amazing move, and I wish it were easier (i.e.: normal) to use during recovery.
  • F-tilt, B-air, and a couple of his throws could also use some tune-ups.

:4peach:
The character that few will master, but the masters will thrive and amaze. She's like Ryu, except not quite as explosive or pressuring, but with more agility (better acceleration, regardless of speed) and better throws to make up for it.
  • All she really needs now is a slight buff in air speed so she can more effectively pressure with her float aerials, as well as recover without always having to rely on float or up-B.
  • Other moves that could use slight buffs are D-smash (ironically enough), U-throw, and N-air.

:4olimar:
I've always thought that people were vastly underrating how annoyingly good he was, but recently Shuton as well as Dabuz, Myran, and ImHip have started putting in work with Olimar, actually being fun to watch and proving his placement here.
  • He's basically good now. All I would do now is attach small, weak hitboxes to his Pikmin-less moves (akin to Little Mac aerials), which shouldn't matter much but would help a bit regardless.

:4luigi:
Man, Elegant is good. But not just that, Luigi's good, too. He might struggle in the same areas as Ness does, but his advantage state is arguably even more ridiculous, with much crazier aerials and more consistent and plentiful kill moves.
  • What is side-B? Why does it have so much end lag for how long it takes to charge and how weak it is (at least for the non-misfire)? Decrease end lag so it might actually be useful for recovery and chasing.
  • D-tilt could also use a buff to change the angle, but it's not as necessary now.

:4dk:
Unlike Nairo's Bowser hype, HIKARU's Donkey Kong hype is far more justified. Not just beating Zinoto and Mr. E, but actually getting top 8 at several events including Civil War, and not nearly as dependent on grab as Bowser.
  • Cargo U-throw doing 10% for one of the most reliable combo throws in the game is just a bit crazy. For comparison, the only other semi-reliable combo that does that much damage is R.O.B.'s D-throw, which is much less crazy in terms of followups. And don't tell me that it compensates for him being a heavy grappler, because Bowser's up throw was nerfed by 4% when it was changed into a combo throw, and I'm not asking for nearly that much. Anyway, nerf its damage a bit (by 1-2%), but increase its knockback and hit stun because decreasing damage automatically decreases those attributes as well.
  • On the contrary, normal D-throw, normal U-throw, and cargo F-throw are all underpowered. They should all have a bit more power so he can have a few more options to reward him for his grappler play style past Ding Dong percent.
  • Why doesn't U-smash scoop again? Even if the scoop hitboxes are small, they would immediately make this move a lot better than it is now.
  • No one will understand the moves Sakurai randomly chose to give freefall to, and neutral-B is arguably the biggest offender because it already has high end lag, it needs to charge to be worth it, and it doesn't cause any movement.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Discussing semantics here, but I think only 2 sections of mid tier are necessary, since the "good" mid tiers and "lesser" mid tiers are easily recognizable, and a lot of characters rated as "low mid tier" are blatantly low tier like :4charizard::4gaw:. I already rated "high mid tier" so I will do the best next thing and post my high tier, which includes many characters that get often called "high mid tier."

High Tier (best to worst):
:4lucina:She is making a solid case for herself now that more people are picking her up to counterpick and showing that she is just as good as Marth. I'll be conservative and not put her in top tier because she still has a huge road on results before I can declare it. I won't list changes like I did in the past as I have learned more about her and realized my ideas were kinda crazy and could give Lucina potential +3s.
:4ryu:Another character I am really conservative about putting in top tier but has legit tools to be. His comeback potential and ability to cheese his way out of almost any MU is legendary and not even :4lucario: can achieve ridiculous nonsense like his 0-to-death combos or mid % death punishes.
:4olimar: Olimar is too good to be true. His damage potential is really good, he oozes kill power, by virtue of his Pikmin he is unpredictably dangerous, and even if he seems designed to camp he can play aggro just fine as Shuton has shown.
:4luigi:Almost everything I said about Ryu applies to Luigi, being a touche de mort character, but Luigi is "easier" to keep away and easier to edgeguard.
:4falcon:Most underrated character in Smash 4 history. Even when parroting how "mediocre" he was Falcon has always had great results and Fatality's run just proves Falcon is full of ridiculous moves that cheese games.
:4lucario: Lucario is another touche de mort character who instead of 0-deaths or 0-50% strings he gets damaged and then kills things at nonsense %s like 30%. I think this place appropiate seeing how Lucario has some bad MUs that don't let him make comebacks.
:4villager: This character is suffering the :4ness: fate of having MUs get worse over time and while I believe he is a good character his downward trend is noticeable. I think nerfing the DLC characters would benefit more Villager than buffing him directly.
:4megaman: I'd argue Megaman fell off harder than Villager, because his playerbase is even more barren, hasn't top 8'd at anything since EVO 2016, and has developed an inability to kill safely, which opens the way to get cheesed because his neutral can get predictable.
:4metaknight: The nerfs at the end mattered, MK's MUs get worse every day and his playerbase is getting barren. I still think he is a good character, but has fallen of grace super hard. I wouldn't know how to change him considering that it took massive nerfs from Brawl to make MK "fair."
:4peach:Samsora has been pushing Peach's meta really far to make me believe she deserves high tier. Like many high tiers, she has a great damage output and oozes kill moves. She has some bad MUs though, but like Villager, a nerf to the top tiers would make her better instead of buffing her directly.
:4dk:I'm a little conservative about DK due to his weaknesses but I can't deny his strenghts are very good. He is polarizing enough to not warrant changes.
:4greninja:Somé's performance at Frostbite convinced me of the potential this character has.

The trend with high tier is that some characters are too good to be buffed but not good enough to nerf and others would benefit from a nerf wave to the top tiers and would jump positions just as they are.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Some characters I think of as High-Mid Tier are: :4luigi::4falcon::4ness::4dk::4robinm::4lucas::4pit::4darkpit:

Half of them are good mostly all-around, and the other half have extreme strengths but extreme weaknesses as well that balance them out. For balancing them, I personally feel like they don't actually need anything as of now, and that all of these characters are well suited for Tournament play in their own right, but they could still use a little bit extra help.
My paragraph is so small compared to everything else here, lol.

Here's the results for High-Mid Tier: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xiFTYut6npmpd_Uhtxw1nkqNqi0IPPMl_ybhefSG60A/viewanalytics

And here's the poll for High Tier: https://goo.gl/forms/hQVUhjaL04mXFrRD3

Also, Happy Easter! I hope you all enjoy today!

Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
High Tier (worst to best):

:4corrin:
The one character that could drop significantly due to lack of results, but MKLeo using them recently makes me keep some hope that Ryuga, Cosmos, and Frozen could show up majorly in the near future.
  • I don't think Corrin NEEDS any changes. If he gets any buffs, especially to mobility, Dragon Lunge should be nerfed to compensate, as it's a ridiculous move right now, only balanced by his low mobility.

:4tlink:
He's dropped off somewhat since Hyuga's absence from the US, but he's still got the tools necessary to play with the big boys as other players like Zan and the Japanese duo have proven.
  • He could use some better throws besides B-throw to compensate for his grab being laggier than Link's for some reason, but this is really the only thing (aside from Cloud) keeping him from being amazing.

:4megaman:
Kameme has been using a few other characters recently, but he still uses Mega Man a lot, and with ScAtt becoming more and more of a tournament threat, Mega Man deserves his spot here in high tier.
  • He also doesn't NEED buffs. If any moves should be slightly buffed, they would be dash attack, F-smash and side-B.

:4pikachu:
I'll be honest, I don't like this little rat. But I can't deny how good he is, as ESAM's recent resurgence would attest to. I'm not going to say too much about him, as I personally want him nerfed a bit, but I know he doesn't need it, so here's what I'll say.
  • His down-B is too crazy not to nerf. Whatever makes the thunder cloud come out so early to break combos is crazy, and so is the spike hitbox's high base knockback for easy gimping (change it to high knockback growth instead).
  • To compensate...I guess side-B could be buffed? That's the only truly weak move he has.

:4lucario:
This might be overrating him a little, but he's certainly somewhere in this tier. He's not terrible without Aura all things considered, and with Aura he can kill earlier than anyone else with almost his entire moveset.
  • He only needs buffs to one move, which is up-B. Why they didn't fix its headbonk when they fixed Greninja's, and why it has so much landing lag baffles me.

:4villager:
While Ranai is doing a lot of the work, other players like Aarvark (who recently beat VoiD!) are helping to prove that his zoning, pressuring, damage racking, and killing skills make him high tier.
  • His grab game is just a bit weak. I'd buff his F-throw and U-throw so his laggy and short-ranged grab is worth it.
  • If he needs a nerf to compensate, it would be a slight decrease in F-smash's knockback so it isn't such a ridiculously strong edgeguarding move. It would make it not as terrible if it's reflected, if that counts for anything.

:4falcon:
His recent resurgence is nothing to scoff at. From ZeRo at Frostbite 2017 to Cashmere at Frame Perfect 2 to Fatality at Civil War, my previous doubt of his capability at high-level play is now gone.
  • The only move I want to buff, of course, is neutral-B. It's not powerful enough for its lag to even make it an optimal punish, as usually a charged F-smash or an U-air combo would be better.

:4metaknight:
He's dropped off a bit, but no one can deny that he demolishes floaties including the recently resurgent Rosalina & Luma, which alone makes him relevant. And players like Tyrant, Ito, Oatmeal, AC, and sometimes MKLeo and Abadango have proven that he can still do quite a bit against non-floaties, too.
  • No changes necessary. If anything, up-B would get a nerf in exchange for side-B getting a buff, but that's unnecessary.

:4ryu:
We all thought that Trela would need to make a major comeback for Ryu to rise this far, and indeed he's done some work recently like taking a tournament off of MKLeo. But more prominently, Locus has proven himself to be the future of Ryu, placing highly at ZeRo Saga, Civil War, and Midwest Mayhem 8 while taking several names.
  • No changes. His neutral may suck, but if I buff Hadouken, I would have to nerf his punish game to compensate, which would mean both N-air and True Shoryuken. That seems excessive, so keep him as is.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Last edited:

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
At last, we have Top Tier. From worst to best:

:4marth:/:4lucina:
Since Mr. E and MKLeo have changed characters or not done as well with Marth, it's clear he isn't top 5 as people like me were ready to claim. And ever since tons of top players including Mr. E as well as ZeRo and Nairo have resorted to Lucina, I think it's a safe bet to join them together. We can't ignore MKLeo's big tournament wins at ZeRo Saga and Genesis 4, which is why they stay in top tier, but not too high within it.
  • Needless to say, they're balanced! No changes.

:4fox:
He's such a simple character for the most part, but the tools he has are quite ridiculous, with his only true problem being a linear recovery. However, now that Larry Lurr has shown up less and less, he could easily fall below Marcina and even into high tier. But I can't discredit the work Larry as well as many others have put with Fox into lots of tournaments, so he stays top tier for now.
  • His grounded moves and aerials can be dumb, but for the most part his throws and his specials are dumb in the other way, so he's balanced overall. No changes.

:4sonic:
The other character I could see falling below Marcina. When KEN showed up at Umebura S.A.T. and tons of other players started getting top 8 with Sonic all of a sudden, people started putting him near the #1 spot, but that hype has cooled down now. He still has tons of incredible tools, don't get me wrong, but until he makes another big wave at a tournament, he'll stay near the bottom of this tier.
  • Why does Spin Dash have intangibility? I thought the point of the move was to be speedy and avoid attacks that way, not to unfairly power through well-placed attacks, especially projectiles.
  • Why does Homing Attack suck? There's literally no reason to use it in any situation whatsoever, because compared to the rest of his moveset which is quick and/or really powerful, this move has neither going for it.

:4mewtwo:
Mewtwo's an interesting case, as he is the best glass cannon in the game. His "cannon" is what led to his numerous tournament wins and high placements, and yet his "glass" makes him volatile and explains his numerous low placements.
  • He's the exemplar of his type of character. No changes.

:4zss:
Nairo and Marss are putting in the effort to show that she's still a top tier even after the nerfs. Her neutral is mediocre, but once she finally gets the grab, N-air, or D-smash, she's set to deal tons of damage or the stock. Also Luhtie beat ZeRo. Yup.
  • I don't want D-tilt to have less lag because she should still have a lackluster neutral game, but at least give it more damage if it's going to be so slow. Currently its only use is "hit the ground".
  • Flip Jump is just a bit crazy. It basically has no lag, it has super armor, it greatly improves recovery, AND it's stupidly strong on top of that? Make it a bit weaker.

:4mario:
Like Fox, he's rather simple but extremely effective at what he does, and his problems are even less exploitable than Fox's. He does have some weird bad matchups in the lower tiers, but he also has good matchups against many of the top tiers, justifying his spot in the middle of the tier. And Ally is crazy. Don't forget that.
  • His poor range mostly makes up for his insane strengths, so he's good. Besides maybe a slight nerf to U-smash, he doesn't need any changes right now.

:rosalina:
With Kirihara and falln proving their PGR placements and Dabuz finally showing up after a rather mediocre 2016, Rosalina is finally getting the results I was wanting to see to keep her in top tier. I'm not going to ruin the puppet-master balance of her character like I've wanted to in the past, but here's what I'll say should be done about her:
  • The reason Luma kills so early isn't entirely because of base knockback, but because it for some reason has Rage to compliment that. Isn't Luma's huge range, quick frame data, and great power enough of a benefit from a puppet? It shouldn't also allow her to kill at even earlier percents when she's close to dying.
  • Jab is dumb and you know it. Its range is silly for how quick it is, and how it can either kill or combo.
  • Upon seeing Kirihara's masterful play without Luma, I've realized how bad Luma-less F-air and U-tilt are compared to the rest of her moveset. They should be a bit stronger so they aren't outclassed by the rest of her moves.
  • Luma Shot should be a bit quicker so she can more quickly access her long-ranged options that are also cooler to watch.
  • Gravitational Pull is stupid and you know it. Why does it have so much range and so many active frames?

:4sheik:
Sheik is a technically demanding character to play at the top level, but she has all the tools necessary to go really far. And steadily more and more players are finding success with her, extending past VoiD and Mr. R to players like Kameme and Blank. While she's mostly balanced, I'd like to buff one special move and nerf another:
  • Burst Grenade needs some attention. It should have less startup so it isn't by far her slowest move, and so it has some reason to go into free fall.
  • Meanwhile, Vanish is way too hard to punish by a combination of its unnecessarily long invincibility frames and its insanely low landing lag. Change those two things a bit and it will be fine.

:4cloud:
Do I need to explain why he's here, especially after he's gotten more success at top level?
  • His air speed should be nerfed so it would move as fast with limit as it does limit-less now, and scale the new limit-less air speed accordingly. I don't understand why a character with such huge range and tools like N-air and B-air should move that fast in the air, and I feel his recovery issue should be further accentuated.
  • Why does U-air autocancel in a short hop fast fall when it has huge range, low startup and landing lag, and lots of damage? It makes the move even more uncontestable than it should be.
  • Limit Cross Slash. Need I say more?
  • And if you want a buff to compensate for these, give it to his throws, which are currently lackluster.

:4diddy:
I used to think he was #1, but the significant drop of performance of other Diddy Kong players has me doubting whether ZeRo is carrying him. Then again, Edge just won a Japanese tournament with him, so that helps his case. Even after nerfs, he still has a couple tools that are way too strong that I'd like to address:
  • Why does D-tilt have such low knockback? Better question, why did they DECREASE its knockback in a previous patch to "nerf" it? Its followups are stupidly good up to unreasonably high percents for how quick and lagless it is.
  • Like Cloud's U-air, why does F-air autocancel in a short hop fast fall? It already has silly disjointed range and crazy damage (even after the nerf), but this property makes it basically spammable and uncontestable.

:4bayonetta:
The best in the game right now. Luckily not meta-defining like she was pre-patch, but still crazy enough to allow for countless players to succeed. Though I feel like her design is still a bit off what they said they were aiming for in her trailer, so here's how I would change her:
  • She's supposed to struggle in the neutral game to make up for her punish game, so what's up with her aerials being so lagless and strong? Increase end lag of B-air and U-air, and make landing D-air even weaker.
  • This might be controversial, but I actually want her Dive Kick to have its angle raised back to what it used to be, but in exchange not bounce as high and have more end lag and landing lag. This would bring many of her old combos back (not Dive Kick into Dive Kick, the most ridiculous one), but make it a much less safe move when it misses, emphasizing what she should be good and bad at.
  • And as others have mentioned, make Witch Time scale based on damage instead of number of uses.

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
Order is pretty much random

:4marth:/:4lucina: No changes.
:4fox: No changes.
:rosalina: Remove rage from Luma.
:4sonic: Change his intagibility on Spin Dash with super armor or something similar, at least let it be beatable
:4mario: No changes.
:4mewtwo: No changes.
:4zss: Nerf Flip Jump knockback, buff dtilt.
:4sheik: Maybe reduce her intangibily on start up of Vanish so people can at least try to edgeguard her, otherwise no changes.
:4cloud2: I would nerf Limit in some fashion, reworking it to completely remove the possibility for Cloud to charge Limit with down b would be ideal, but it wouldn't happen. So give LCS much more endlag, remove his air speed and acceleration buff in Limit and remove autocancel on short hop > uair.
:4diddy:Nerf Banana and dtilt angle and FAF so he can't abuse it as much.
:4bayonetta: Make the cooldown for using her specials in the air significant (now it is practically derisory) so you can't just spam Witch Twist and Afterburner Kick without consequences, remove her triple jump glitch or whatever it is and make Witch Time to scale with knockback like any other counter.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Tippity Top Tier: :4bayonetta::4diddy::4cloud2::4sheik::4sonic::rosalina::4mario::4fox::4zss::4marth::4mewtwo::4lucina:(maybe :4tlink:and :4metaknight:)

:4bayonetta: Personally, I'd nerf Witch Time and also give her the weakness she was supposed to have: Noticeable start-up lag on her combo starters, to the point where they aren't safe to toss out in neutral. It's fine to have such great reward if the risks are there, but there isn't much risk involved as is.
:4cloud2: Limit break needs some toning down for sure, he acquires it far too easily and the reward he gets off of it is absolutely obscene, also his airspeed and Up-air should be toned down as well.
:4sheik: Nerf the ridiculously safe Vanish.
:4sonic: Spin Dash should get a nerf to it's intangibility, F-Smash could go for a slight range nerf, and personally, I think it might also be a good idea to not make it's early charge shield-cancelable, maybe that's too harsh but I feel that forcing him to commit would change his playstyle for the better and give him more incentive to approach.
:rosalina:Being honest here, I'm not really sure what I'd change about her. Obviously something with Luma, but I don't feel like I know a good way to tackle the problem she poses without handing out too light a punishment or one too heavy.
:4mario: :GCCU:UP-SMASH:GCCU:
:4fox: FIYEEERRHHHH!!!
I think his Up-air's a tad ridiculous.
:4zss::GCD::GCB: F L I P J U M P:GCD::GCB:
Nerf that move and we're done here.
:4marth: :201t::201i::201p::201p::201e::201r:
I think he's good as is.
:4mewtwo: I don't think any changes are necessary with him.
:4lucina: All I have to say that's somehwat interesting is that my brother cares intensely about the 3 pixel difference between her and Marth. I wouldn't say she needs any adjustments.
:4tlink: I'd say he's potentially Top Tier if only because of my opinion that he goes even with Bayonetta. Still, no changes needed here.
:4metaknight: He's not a Top Tier in the current metagame, but I feel like he could end up becoming one in the future if people start utilizing his stepdash more as a mix-up and develop him further. No changes needed.

Here are the poll's results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1U5uwOgLFTNnFyWX0vJMs97yEXU6Kg2c7WTYB1ybJa-0/viewanalytics

And with that, this round's over, and we're now in Break Week yet again!

Also, there's two things I want to say real quick, firstly, do you guys like the new format at all? I'm more than willing to go back to the older one if you guys want it again. Secondly, this is a bit early but from late May to the end of early June (right around E3) I'll be in the process of moving in to a new home and I may not have internet coverage. Which means that either A. someone else will post updates in my place or B. there won't be any updates for that period of time.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
:4lucina: All I have to say that's somehwat interesting is that my brother cares intensely about the 3 pixel difference between her and Marth. I wouldn't say she needs any adjustments.
What does he say about it?
In the words of pannenkoek,
"There are currently no cases where that's useful or important".

Top Bottom