• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Universal Cosmic Destroyer - Giygas for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
"Ninten! You alone, I may save you. Just you alone. Board our Mother Ship with me."

giygas tagline.png

giygas small.png
Who is Giygas?

Giygas is the main antagonist of MOTHER/EarthBound Beginnings and MOTHER 2/EarthBound. As an infant, he was raised by a human couple by the name of George and Maria. Maria was kind and loving, but George remained distant and experimented on the infant. With the newly discovered knowledge of PSI, George escaped back to Earth and holed himself up in his own research. Enraged that their secret powers were now known to the human race, the aliens decided to conquer Earth, led by a now fully grown Giygas.

Giygas' influence is found throughout the entire game. Objects and poltergeists causing havoc, zombies rising from the grave, zoo animals going berserk, towns being taken over, human adults being abducted, and other miscellaneous happenings are all over MOTHER.

giygas small.png
Why should he be added?

In my personal opinion, Giygas would be a great addition to the roster because he's the main villain of the MOTHER franchise. While the franchise may be finished, there's still one game that has yet to be represented with a fighter: EarthBound Beginnings. It's a double win for Giygas. But I'm not saying he should be added just to fill a checkbox. His potential for a fun, unique moveset is honestly limitless.

giygas small.png
But he has no moves!

While his attack descriptions in MOTHER and MOTHER 2 are usually described as being inexplicable, that doesn't mean he "has no moveset potential." As stated before, the entire backstory of the MOTHER series started because the concept and knowledge of PSI was stolen from Giygas' race, through George's experiments on Giygas. So, PSI can be easily transferred into his moveset.

The MOTHER series has a lot of PSI abilities that neither Ness nor Lucas use in their movesets. MOTHER itself has several PSI moves not seen in the other two games. Some of said moves being PK Beam, Shield Off, PSI Block, PSI Darkness, Power Shield, and Brain Cyclone. There's also the PSI Ness and Lucas don't use, such as Hypnosis, Paralysis, Brainshock, Offense Up/Down and Defense Up/Down, and PSI Shield. That's a lot just right there.

There's also the classic "Making up original moves" which Smash Bros. does all the time. Making up moves isn't a bad thing. Sakurai himself has said he bases his movesets on what would fit the character. Giygas' inexplicable attacks could be a free pass for the dev team to go wild with his animations. I'll get into that once the moveset is finished.

giygas small.png
Why not Porky?

If you're looking for the Porky thread, it's right here.

giygas small.png
But he just looks like Mewtwo.

Ah, but I think you mean Mewtwo looks like Giygas, as Giygas predates him by almost an entire decade.

But yes, here's the classic Mewtwo argument. Giygas can't be added because he looks "literally identical" to Mewtwo. Well, it's completely irrelevant. That's all I really have to say. If some people think they look the same, why does it matter? We have literal palette swaps on the roster. We have Kirby and Jigglypuff who are both pink balls. Some people think Ness and Lucas are clones, despite looking at their movesets proving otherwise. Why should we not add a cool character just because some people might think they look similar? That's why there's different idle animations and ways of moving. To fit the character.

giygas small.png
Movesets and Stats

THIS SECTION IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Costumes
1569098285145.png

Special Moves
1569098313569.png

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Coming in from the Ninten thread, I support!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyl0r

Smash Cadet
Full support for giygas! A mother villain would be great and giygas seems very fit for the job!
(I am also from the ninten thread)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think @Bolderousness may like this thread
You're right. As a newcomer, I think Giygas would be the coolest MOTHER representative to imagine. Not only is he the sole source of the **** in the series, but he is tonally and visually contrasting with what's already shown in Smash Bros, that I think it would surprise a lot of people. Put me as a supporter.

UserKev

Smash Champion
What I like about Giygas, your playing as an legit interesting character. I'd take Giygas over Porky because at least Giygas feels healthy to play as and positive.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
If it wasn't obvious, I'm a Ninten fan and I preffer him over Giegue/Giygas. But I still support him and I think he would be a really cool PSI user just like Ninten!

Also, as a character himself, Giygas is one of my favorite villains. c:

If we ever get the Metroid treatment (a unique fighter and an echo fighter) for the MOTHER / Earthbound series, I would like Giygas and Ninten to be in, specially with MOTHER's 30th anniversary this year!

D

Deleted member

I have an idea for one of Giegue's/Giygas's moves.

Maybe for a neutral b, he could sit still on the screen, but, at that time, be able to control his opponent's mind by playing as them instead of the player/CPU who was controlling them before.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Just wanted drop in and say that I fully support Giygas! I'm a big MOTHER and Giygas fan (as if that wasn't obvious by my username), so of course I'd be all for him making an appearance. They could definitely get pretty creative with his moveset, maybe even have him utilize other iconic enemies from both Mother 1 and Earthbound such as Li'l UFOs, Spinning Robos, Octobots, etc.

D

Deleted member

Just wanted drop in and say that I fully support Giygas! I'm a big MOTHER and Giygas fan (as if that wasn't obvious by my username), so of course I'd be all for him making an appearance. They could definitely get pretty creative with his moveset, maybe even have him utilize other iconic enemies from both Mother 1 and Earthbound such as Li'l UFOs, Spinning Robos, Octobots, etc.
Oooh, I like these ideas, especially with the enemies.

Also, before I thought Giegue could use the inexplicable attack as his final smash, but, instead, I think he could use the unable-to-grasp attack in his Earthbound form as his final smash, and attack with the inexplicable attack through his moveset. He could attack with psychic shock waves as a side b, and we actually don't have a character who specializes in attacking specifically through the mind, internally. Characters like Ness, Lucas, and Mewtwo do have psychic powers, but they don't actually attack mentally. This could be something Giegue does.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Oooh, I like these ideas, especially with the enemies.

Also, before I thought Giegue could use the inexplicable attack as his final smash, but, instead, he should use the unable-to-grasp attack in his Earthbound form as his final smash, and attack with the inexplicable attack through his moveset. He could attack with psychic shock waves as a side b, and we actually don't have a character who specializes in attacking specifically through the mind, internally. Characters like the Ness, Lucas, and Mewtwo do have psychic powers, but they don't actually attack mentally. This could be something Giegue does.
That's actually interesting. It'd be cool if maybe his neutral B was Hypnosis or maybe Brainshock that disables an opponent's special moves. Taking some creative liberties with it, but let's say it could be charged up to 4 forms: Hypnosis α, Hypnosis β, Hypnosis γ, and Hypnosis Ω. Hypnosis α is the standard, non-charged version and would disable 1 special move for a few seconds. β would disable 2, γ would disable 3, and Ω would disable all four special moves. Granted, this attack would take quite awhile to charge up, but maybe it could also deal slight damage if the opponent tried to use the disabled special move too (or maybe not, idk. That might be a bit OP...).

D

Deleted member

That's actually interesting. It'd be cool if maybe his neutral B was Hypnosis or maybe Brainshock that disables an opponent's special moves. Taking some creative liberties with it, but let's say it could be charged up to 4 forms: Hypnosis α, Hypnosis β, Hypnosis γ, and Hypnosis Ω. Hypnosis α is the standard, non-charged version and would disable 1 special move for a few seconds. β would disable 2, γ would disable 3, and Ω would disable all four special moves. Granted, this attack would take quite awhile to charge up, but maybe it could also deal slight damage if the opponent tried to use the disabled special move too (or maybe not, idk. That might be a bit OP...).
Brainshock and hypnosis are perfect. I think paralysis would be fit for him as well.

And, if it's extremely powerful, it taking a really long time to charge up would balance it out pretty well IMO.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
I liked the Idea of him beeing a Mewtwo Echoe. I mean it wouldn't really conflict with his canonical abilities.

D

Deleted member

Let's see what we have for Giegue's potential unique moveset so far -

Neutral b - mind control. Giegue sits still on screen, but controlls the other opponent rather than the player/CPU controlling them before.

Side b - brainshock. Can be charged up to 4 different forms, each disabling 1 more of the opponent's special moves (for a few seconds) than the last. The longer it's charged, the stronger the form and the more special moves it disables.

Up b - telekinetic float. He floats upwards using his mind.

Down b - hypnosis. Puts opponents to sleep.

The inexplicable attack could be used throughout his physical moveset and attack as shockwaves, with, of course, Giegue creating them with his mind.

Final Smash - Giegue transforms into his Earthbound form, Giygas, using the unable-to-grasp attack.

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
I liked the Idea of him beeing a Mewtwo Echoe. I mean it wouldn't really conflict with his canonical abilities.
Other than the fact that cross-series echo fighters in general are kind of dumb, making Giygas a Mewtwo echo is just kind of lame. I'd rather discuss him as a unique character.

Let's see what we have for Giegue's potential unique moveset so far -

Neutral b - mind control. Giegue sits still on screen, but controlls the other opponent rather than the player/CPU controlling them before.

Side b - brainshock. Can be charged up to 4 different forms, each disabling 1 more of the opponent's special moves (for a few seconds) than the last. The longer it's charged, the stronger the form and the more special moves it disables.

Up b - telekinetic float. He floats upwards using his mind.

Down b - hypnosis. Puts opponents to sleep.
This special list is pretty good, though I'm not keen on the "control opponent's character" move. Sounds way too obnoxious to play against.

I actually have the special list, but not their functions complete. Giygas' neutral special is PK Beam, his side special is PK Rockin, his up special is 4th-D Slip, and his down special is Stone of Origin.

The move Stone of Origin, or we could call it the Giygas Touch (it's a reference to Midas Touch.) is a command grab move where Giygas will grab the opponent using telepathy, and then impale his arm into the opponent's chest. He will take his arm back out and the opponent will turn into a stone statue. While the opponent is turned to stone, they will take little to no knockback on moves. They can mash out of this, but it lasts equivalent to a high percent shield break. However this differs from a shield break because Giygas cannot kill the opponent. He can repeatedly hit them while they're stoned to rack up percent, but the stone will give them a small resistance to physical attacks. The opponent is also able to be grabbed and thrown, but they won't go far.

This move is a reference to the Stone status effect in MOTHER.

LH LH

Smash Cadet
I’ll support. Giygas is pretty cool and would definitely play differently than Mewtwo or any other psi characters in smash or ones that could possibly be brought to the series in future. Only gripe that I have is that can giygas actually exist outside of the pod thing. Unless they want to make it master edges

D

Deleted member

Other than the fact that cross-series echo fighters in general are kind of dumb, making Giygas a Mewtwo echo is just kind of lame. I'd rather discuss him as a unique character.

This special list is pretty good, though I'm not keen on the "control opponent's character" move. Sounds way too obnoxious to play against.

I actually have the special list, but not their functions complete. Giygas' neutral special is PK Beam, his side special is PK Rockin, his up special is 4th-D Slip, and his down special is Stone of Origin.

The move Stone of Origin, or we could call it the Giygas Touch (it's a reference to Midas Touch.) is a command grab move where Giygas will grab the opponent using telepathy, and then impale his arm into the opponent's chest. He will take his arm back out and the opponent will turn into a stone statue. While the opponent is turned to stone, they will take little to no knockback on moves. They can mash out of this, but it lasts equivalent to a high percent shield break. However this differs from a shield break because Giygas cannot kill the opponent. He can repeatedly hit them while they're stoned to rack up percent, but the stone will give them a small resistance to physical attacks. The opponent is also able to be grabbed and thrown, but they won't go far.

I like these moveset ideas, and especially PSI Rockin and Stone of Origin, since (for PK Rockin) Giygas does use it in Earthbound and Ness doesn't use it in Brawl, even though it's pretty much his main PSI attack in Earthbound.

And I think the Stone of Origin idea is pretty cool too. At first I thought it would just function with a simple stare or blink of an eye, but this is creative.

LH LH

Smash Cadet

Yeah cross series echoes will probably never happen. They could have simply just made ganondorf a captain Falcon Echo but instead they gave him the sword and kept him unique

D

Deleted member

Who else, in their first playthrough of Earthbound, didn't know that attacking Giygas would damage Ness?

D

Deleted member

A lot of times, in any of my previous Mother 1 playthroughs, I kept forgetting that you're only supposed to start singing when Giegue mentions "the ugly Earth people" a second time. A lot of times I accidentally started singing the first time he says it lol.

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
A lot of times, in any of my previous Mother 1 playthroughs, I kept forgetting that you're only supposed to start singing when Giegue mentions "the ugly Earth people" a second time. A lot of times I accidentally started singing the first time he says it lol.
I thought you had to sing to him when he was done with his monologue.

D

Deleted member

Gyigas could come with a cool stage.

And since I love playable villains... sure, count me in.

D

Deleted member

I thought you had to sing to him when he was done with his monologue.
Oh, you're right, when he mentions "the ugly Earth people" a second time, that's the end of his monologue, and you start singing. I was just mentioning funny mistakes I had when I sang to him at the wrong time lol.

Gyigas could come with a cool stage.

And since I love playable villains... sure, count me in.
Oooh, he could. Mt. Itoi or Cave of the Past comes to mind for me.

D

Deleted member

Sorry for the double post, but I just like how Giygas is one of the scariest Nintendo characters, and for many people.

LH LH

Smash Cadet
Sorry for the double post, but I just like how Giygas is one of the scariest Nintendo characters, and for many people.
I thought a goomba was Nintendo’s standard for scary enemy/antagonist

D

Deleted member

I thought a goomba was Nintendo’s standard for scary enemy/antagonist
Maybe. But a lot more people definitely found Giygas scarier lol.

Or did the joke go over my head?

LH LH

Smash Cadet
Maybe. But a lot more people definitely found Giygas scarier lol.

Or did the joke go over my head?
I was just saying about how Nintendo has evolved. The only real scary thing we have nowadays is a boo or king boo. But even then that’s not a whole lot scary. Not fnaf levels anyway. Maybe Nintendo should try to make their own fnaf style game. Giygas as a secret boss akin to Donkey Kong in Punch Out Wii anyone?

D

Deleted member

I was just saying about how Nintendo has evolved. The only real scary thing we have nowadays is a boo or king boo. But even then that’s not a whole lot scary. Not fnaf levels anyway. Maybe Nintendo should try to make their own fnaf style game. Giygas as a secret boss akin to Donkey Kong in Punch Out Wii anyone?
I definitely agree here. Nintendo is lacking with scary characters/enemies nowadays. Games like the Mother series and the Mario RPGs (especially Paper Mario Ttyd) had a lot of creep factor, part of the reason why I love them.

And sign me up for Giygas secret boss in Punch Out Wii :laugh:

LH LH

Smash Cadet
I definitely agree here. Nintendo is lacking with scary characters/enemies nowadays. Games like the Mother series and the Mario RPGs (especially Paper Mario Ttyd) had a lot of creep factor, part of the reason why I love them.

And sign me up for Giygas secret boss in Punch Out Wii :laugh:
And there is also the fact that we really don’t have that many true villains on the roster. Bowser kidnapping peach is so much of a recurring theme that it probably shouldn’t count as a true villain, all King K. Rool does is steal bananas which is hardly crime of the year and the rest are just anti heroes. Ridley, ganondorf and maybe Dark Samus (if you count echo fighters) are the only true villains. I suppose you could argue porky but mother 3 already has a rep in Lucas so mother 1 should have some justification for playable representation. Ninten May be first in line but he is incredibly similar to ness visually so the next best thing would be to add giygas the main antagonist of mother 1. Unless they wanna add one of his party members but to put that into perspective itd be like adding boney before lucas

D

Deleted member

And there is also the fact that we really don’t have that many true villains on the roster. Bowser kidnapping peach is so much of a recurring theme that it probably shouldn’t count as a true villain, all King K. Rool does is steal bananas which is hardly crime of the year and the rest are just anti heroes. Ridley, ganondorf and maybe Dark Samus (if you count echo fighters) are the only true villains. I suppose you could argue porky but mother 3 already has a rep in Lucas so mother 1 should have some justification for playable representation. Ninten May be first in line but he is incredibly similar to ness visually so the next best thing would be to add giygas the main antagonist of mother 1. Unless they wanna add one of his party members but to put that into perspective itd be like adding boney before lucas
Yeah, I agree that Giygas would be a good pick, and for a villain on the roster, though personally I think Ninten is the best choice for a Mother rep, and they could either give him his Mother 1 Japanese commercial design or just redesign him like they did with Pit in Brawl to differentiate him from Ness.

But yeah, Giygas would still be really cool. Weird thought but they could make his eyes more demonic than the other characters on the roster (even the villains just have regular eyes, so there's another thing that shows Giygas may be the scariest fighter ever to join the Smash roster).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wouldn't say FNaF is scary, but if you're looking for a scary Nintendo game, you should check out Eternal Darkness or the Fatal Frame games. I haven't played Fatal Frame, but I can vouch for Eternal Darkness' scariness.

Giygas has it beat though, I think he might be one of the most terrifying characters in gaming.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
No hesitation here. I want him over all the other Mother/Earthbound characters. Add me to the list of supporters.

We have a Mother 2 rep in Ness and Lucas is the Mother 3 rep. We just need a Mother 1 rep. While Ninten makes sense so that we have the three protagonists, I would really like Giygas.

I don't think it would take too much work to do. Start with Mewtwo's skeleton and make adjustments to the body. Then give him a blend of Mewtwo/Mother moves.

If given a stage, and since it would be Mother 1 Giygas, I would choose Mt. Itoi as the stage. We would also get a slate of new songs from the Mother series. I think Porky Means Business should definitely be one of the selections if we received a DLC character from this series.

Last edited:

LH LH

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I agree that Giygas would be a good pick, and for a villain on the roster, though personally I think Ninten is the best choice for a Mother rep, and they could either give him his Mother 1 Japanese commercial design or just redesign him like they did with Pit in Brawl to differentiate him from Ness.

But yeah, Giygas would still be really cool. Weird thought but they could make his eyes more demonic than the other characters on the roster (even the villains just have regular eyes, so there's another thing that shows Giygas may be the scariest fighter ever to join the Smash roster).
I wouldn't say FNaF is scary, but if you're looking for a scary Nintendo game, you should check out Eternal Darkness or the Fatal Frame games. I haven't played Fatal Frame, but I can vouch for Eternal Darkness' scariness.

Giygas has it beat though, I think he might be one of the most terrifying characters in gaming.
Yeah I admit Ninten would be the go to choice but due to his similarities with ness they may priorise giygas. And as for fnaf yes it isn’t scary tbh but I’m stumped why Nintendo hasn’t at least gone fnaf levels of scary (even though it’s not that scary). Nintendo used to have no problem with dark villains but the closest thing we have to a Nintendo equivalent of resident evil nowadays is luigis Mansion. And do I need to tell you how scary/dark that game

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
I think Ninten is a good choice to add as well, but I just feel as if Giygas would be more unique. And he's an awesome villain to boot.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Truthfully speaking, it'd be bland if every Mother rep were protagonists. I immediately cringe every time this is suggested.

Top Bottom