• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Life

Smash Hero
^"crazy folk that think PS2 should be a neutral"

Oh no you didn't.

We need a serious community re-roll, stat.
This. Luckily, by the time Smash 4 comes out, I will probably feel comfortable being a TO. Probably. Kinda depends. Or maybe I won't even like Smash 4.

If Kid Icarus is an indicator, though, Sakurai's going to be a little nicer to us with competitive Smash 4 than he was with Brawl. That could help.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
This. Luckily, by the time Smash 4 comes out, I will probably feel comfortable being a TO. Probably. Kinda depends. Or maybe I won't even like Smash 4.

If Kid Icarus is an indicator, though, Sakurai's going to be a little nicer to us with competitive Smash 4 than he was with Brawl. That could help.
By SSB4's release, I'll be done with university and have a LOT more time on my hands. I could actually start actively TO'ing again. I don't know if I'd want to, though, if the people are the same. Granted, Seattle doesn't have a big Smash scene, so if I started TO'ing at UW, I'd be starting, effectively, a new community, which would be nice. Less people being ridiculous, I suppose.

That being said, I can't imagine SSB4 being any less competitive-friendly than Brawl; it's like Sak purposefully ****ed us over at every turn. IMO, we should figure out what features we'd like in SSB4 (gameplay features, like "quick backstep", not balance features, like "give Fox U-tilt 3% more KB") and get the boards / players at actual tournaments to sign this big-*** community letter and send it to the team during development. Let them know exactly what we want, in no uncertain terms.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
And we'd still be too small of a fraction of the total sales to tailor the game towards instead of what they feel will grab more of the casual players.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Never underestimate the power of efficiency and the propensity for humans to cut corners. You have no idea how much time / money would be saved by, effectively, having part of your Game Design Document written for you. Of course, there'd have to be a clause written into the letter before being signed by anyone saying that all signing it waive rights to sue Nintendo for no compensation upon use, but still. Point stands.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Except there is no way they would actually implement it. Time and money spent changing what they have already worked on is time and money that could have been spent making more features they can advertise about the game. There is no way they haven't already started on the game, they're probably going to try to have it be out very early in the Wii U's life cycle. You'd also be assuming that the fanbase could agree on what to request. By the time that happened, SSB4 would already be out.

Nintendo isn't Bioware or Bungie either, they have never showed real interest in allowing for fan input. They're just going to do things their own way.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
As a game designer myself, there is no way I would implement fan ideas without heavily testing all of them (which is what I would do with my ideas anyway), and probably changing them. Competitive community or otherwise.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Meh. Couldn't hurt. I mean, what's the worst Nintendo could do: say "no"? *shudder* I mean, imagine the pain of rejection you would feel? :troll:

Worst case scenario: status quo. Best case scenario? Who knows?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Worst case scenario: Sakurai is actually mentally unstable and for some reason our list triggers a metaphorical switch inside of his head, leading him to commit mass genocide via stolen nuclear weaponry and completely obliterate all life on the planet.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering what the actual community opinion is of the unity ruleset community being dissolved. It seems kind of out of the blue to disband it without any real input from the community. I still see a overwhelming support for unity considering a 60% of tournaments ran it. I would really like to see a community poll of if you think the unity should be disbanded. I don't know how to make a poll otherwise I would do it myself but I feel it would be very interesting to see what the community thinks as opposed to the "SWF Senate" thinks it should be.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I didn't see a point in disbanding the URC cause the ruleset was recommended.
Besides, what does it even mean to say that it was 'disbanded'? AFAIK all that really means is that it's no longer an SWF-recommended ruleset, but the individual members of the URC can still work together and make a recommended ruleset if they want.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this is very much how I feel. I don't know what this detriment that they created was. They were the first group to really bring some structure to our community and for all of there work and trouble they get disbanded for some reason. I don't get it still.

:phone:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I appreciate the support

I'm still working on that count. Hope to have it done between tomorrow and the end of the month.

A lot of data >_>

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I'm wondering what the actual community opinion is of the unity ruleset community being dissolved. It seems kind of out of the blue to disband it without any real input from the community. I still see a overwhelming support for unity considering a 60% of tournaments ran it. I would really like to see a community poll of if you think the unity should be disbanded. I don't know how to make a poll otherwise I would do it myself but I feel it would be very interesting to see what the community thinks as opposed to the "SWF Senate" thinks it should be.
I'm incredibly happy. The joke was getting old.

Bobwithlobsters

Smash Journeyman
I believe I remember hearing that 60% of tourneys run were unity by the end. Now im not positive but I believe that is the best rate of a single ruleset being used. It was extremely good to know the rules I was practicing under were going to be the same as the rules at the oos tourneys I would go to.

:phone:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I apologize, I intended to get a full count done by yesterday, but I've been busy hosting tournaments and work and things like that. A full updated count is coming soon

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
What is the timeframe youre looking at? Cuz Utah used the UC ruleset, but we dont post our results here. I could give you the ones during the timeframe you're looking at.

Top Bottom