• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unity Ruleset: Discussion

Unity Ruleset Committee

URC Joint Account

The Unity Ruleset
-Version 2.0-

The following ruleset was created by the Unity Ruleset Committee, which is made up by active, respected Tournament Organizers from around the United States and Canada. This will be considered the standard, universal ruleset for Brawl tournaments across the US and Canada. Any tournaments that do not follow this ruleset will not be eligible for stickies on SWF or featured coverage on AllisBrawl.

Changes to this ruleset can be made at any time and without warning, for which we will update the version based on the significance of the change. The Ruleset Committee will pay close attention to tournament trends, and if a persistent problem presents itself, the Ruleset Committee will address the issue and adapt the ruleset as necessary. If you are interested in being admitted to the URC, send your tournament resume to AlphaZealot (or any Unity Ruleset Member) - you must however, have run 1 tournament with the Unity Ruleset in order to be eligible for admission.

If you wish to run a slightly modified version of the Unity Ruleset at your event for the purposes of testing while keeping all benefits of using the Unity Ruleset - you may now take advantage of the Experimental Ruleset System! You can find full details of this system in this thread here, at this post.

General Gameplay Rules
  1. 3 Stocks
  2. 8 Minute Time Limit
  3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
  4. Pause set to "Off"
  5. Meta Knight is banned in both Singles and Doubles (optional until January 9th, 2012, after which is mandatory)
  6. All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
  7. There is a 50 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
  8. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
  9. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  10. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
    • In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
    • If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters.

In the event of running a Meta Knight Legal event, the following must be used:
  1. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
  2. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Meta Knight.
  3. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 13 is used for Meta Knight.

Modified Rules for Doubles
  1. Team Attack set to "On"
  2. Life stealing is allowed.
  3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
  4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
  5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Set Procedure
  1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
  2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
  3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
  4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 2-3-1 (Team 1 strikes two stages, followed by Team 2 striking three stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
  5. The first match is played.
  6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
  7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
  8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
  9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
  11. The next match is played.
  12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Determining Player Priority
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams will use a random method such as Rock-Paper-Scissors, Coin Flip, or Game and Watch Judgment, where the winner selects either first choice in port selection or first choice in stage striking. Whichever team does not receive first choice in port selection will be compensated with first choice in stage striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Stage List

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Battleship Halberd
Castle Siege|Brinstar
Final Destination|Delfino Plaza
Lylat Cruise|Pokémon Stadium 2
Pokemon Stadium 1|Rainbow Cruise
Smashville|Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)|

Conduct Rules
  1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
  2. In the event pause is left on accidentally and is pressed, immediately call over the TO. Based upon their judgment, the situation will be resolved. If your situation is neutral [players are not in combat], the match will be resumed as if the pause had not occurred. If your situation is advantageous to one individual and the player in the disadvantageous situation paused, the disadvantaged player will be either placed in a grab or onto the ledge of the stage. If a player in a death situation [Chain grabs, Grab releases, Jab-locks to a kill move, etc] paused while in a death situation, the current stock is forfeited immediately. If you unpause before the TO reaches the station, the player that unpaused losses a stock.
  3. During gameplay, any coaching parties must remain a finite distance determined by the TO away from the players in order to give players equal access to all coached information. Ear-side coaching is prohibited during games, but acceptable between games. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the coach's removal from the venue or a call to replay the game that the coaching interfered with.
  4. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
  5. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
  6. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
  7. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
  8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
  9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
  10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:
    • Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
    • The URC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
    • Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
  11. Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organiser sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

Resolving Pool Ties
In the event two or more players are tied at the conclusion of a round of pools at a Unity Ruleset tournament, the following process will be done:

Players will be compared with each other on various criteria in this ordered precedence:
  1. Set Wins
  2. Head to Head
  3. Wins
  4. Losses
  5. One Game Rematch

If players are still tied on a step, you move down to the next one. For instance, if Player A and B both go 3-2 in sets in a round of pools, you will then proceed to the Head to Head step (who won the set between those players). Whoever won vs the other will proceed at the top of the tie.

If Head to Head can not decide a tie, then you would move down to the Wins step. This may occur in a three way tie where all three players defeated each other (however note that if one person in a three way tie defeats both other players, then the Head to Head comparison will be used).

If the tie breaker reaches all the way to the One Game Rematch step, this game will play out similar to the first game of any set (though doing best of one), where users will stage strike for the stage, and may double blind characters.

If at any point a tie of three or more players is partially resolved, still leaving two or more players tied, the tie between the remaining players will be decided by starting the tie breaker process over for them. For instance, if in a three way tie in the Wins step, one player has six wins while the others have 5, the player with 6 wins will be the top of the 3. The remaining two players will start back at Sets Wins to determine who is higher between the two instead of proceeding onto the Losses step right away.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistents, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Users can discuss this ruleset in the thread provided here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301033

The Unity Ruleset Infraction System can be found here.

A list of all members of the Unity Ruleset Committee can be found here.

This thread is for discussion of the BBR-RC Unity Ruleset.

Unity Ruleset Change Log

v1.0 - Ruleset released.

v1.1 - Pictochat is now banned.
Pause rule edited to include a harsher punishment for a player who pauses during a bad situation (such as recoveries).​
Infinite/Stalling rules slightly edited for clarity.​
A player disruption conduct rule added.​
Two clauses added to protect TOs and venue owners.​

v1.2 - New player infraction system implemented. Yellow & Red Cards introduced.

v1.3 - 5 stage starter list changed to 7 stage starter list, with PS1 and Castle Siege being the two new stages.

v2.0 - Meta Knight is Banned. Pause rule is changed and set to "Off". Player Priority changed. Coaching rule changed. Pools tie breakers added.

Coney

Smash Master
SECOND OH YES MD/VA RUNS THIS

anyway, i really really really hate a special LGL for MK. there's an elephant in the room.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Glad to see this released

I really enjoy this ruleset, I hope everyone catches on with it

As a early reply to probably the biggest complaint I expect us to get with this being "forced" on people, we're not forcing you by any means
At the moment it's just you can't get featured on AiB or stickied on SWF without using the ruleset
99% of tournaments don't get this special privelage, and the site owners have collaborate and agreed on this course of action
Sticky/feature is important for large events like nationals, which is what we feel is important to standardize above all else

anyway, i really really really hate a special LGL for MK.
There is no one answer that everyone can agree on. Ban MK? Not Ban him? LGL for all, different LGL, no LGL?

We feel that what we currently have chosen is the best compromise for everyone at this time.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I like the mk specific lgl, I just think other characters should have specific lgls also

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Interesting, I lot of people to my understanding thought FD was not starter material. Not that I'm complaining since I don't mind it and think a lot of the hate it gets is a tad unwarranted, still has legit claims against it.

i understand. i just hate it, is all.
I feel the same way if it helps.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I can't believe FD is still a starter. What kind of compromise is that? The starter list is... the exact same thing it's always been. After all of the stage forum discussion, after all of the definition arguments, and after all of the totally logically valid proof that FD is not balanced or neutral in any way (just a static stage), I don't get why it's still on the starter list. Seriously, you couldn't even move it to CP?

That's my first glaring problem with it. I'll give my self more time to analyze it after work. It IS nice to see that MK isn't being treated with kid gloves anymore, though.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Some of that proof in stage forums has also been criticized for certain characters where the advantages they get are being blown out of proportion.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I'll use everything but the stage list. FS(L)S is where it's at

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I can't believe FD is still a starter. What kind of compromise is that? The starter list is... the exact same thing it's always been. After all of the stage forum discussion, after all of the definition arguments, and after all of the totally logically valid proof that FD is not balanced or neutral in any way (just a static stage), I don't get why it's still on the starter list. Seriously, you couldn't even move it to CP?
The "brawl era" people have lost sight(or maybe never had it) of what a Neutral/Counter Pick stage is. FD was perfectly fine in melee and will always been fine in Brawl.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'll use everything but the stage list. FS(L)S is where it's at
I don't even know what you're trying to say lol

The "brawl era" people have lost sight(or maybe never had it) of what a Neutral/Counter Pick stage is. FD was perfectly fine in melee and will always been fine in Brawl.
I don't know if I really agree with this, but w/e

I'm actually almost on the FD CP camp of things, but I can see both sides to the argument

Know that FD being CP was discussed, but our final decision for now is what you see in the ruleset currently

M@v

Subarashii!
Overall seems reasonable, 3 things caught my eye though:

-ALL infinites allowed (Bye bye DK)

-Lower edgegrab limit for MK

-Ps2

I'm curious to the reasonings behind these?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think the main issue with not having FD as a starter was...well almost every tournament in the country uses it as a starter, and this is a practical ruleset.

I'm also slowing being convinced that moving FD to CP would be a good idea, however what stage would take its place?

M@v

Subarashii!
^So you want to remove mk's only "arguable" bad stage from the neutral list?

Also as you mentioned, there's really nothing to replace it. any possible candidate is less neutral.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
full stage-list striking, chibo

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
PS1, PS2, and Castle Siege were talked about regarding replacing FD. Some people find these stages more neutral.

Is there a valid reason to ban PS2?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Overall seems reasonable, 3 things caught my eye though:

-ALL infinites allowed (Bye bye DK)

-Lower edgegrab limit for MK

-Ps2

I'm curious to the reasonings behind these?
I already explained the lower MK limit in like post #3

however some food for thought:

All infinites were legal at both Pound 5 and Whobo 3
Will got 25th at Pound 5 and 7th at Whobo 3
Will did lose to Atomsk at Pound, but both have them have traded sets with the infinite both on and off

and all characters on the stage are effected by PS2 changes, not just one person randomly lol
and some characters can take decent advantage of it, aka like a CP stage

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Congratulations!

You just removed 4 characters from the game!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
full stage-list striking, chibo
this solution really just can't work feasibly

too much time is spent prior to the first game
ppl will just be agreeing to smashville or w.e far too often making stage striking moot
new players will be overwhelmed with the amount of options presented to them

there are MANY things to consider, including the details of running the tournament

M@v

Subarashii!
I read the post. I can see the reasoning, it just bugs me (in any game) when you have to make a rule to target one thing, it likely means its over powered and needs a ban.

Now in most games this isn't a problem because of patching. If nintendo gave two ****s about balance we would of likely seen a patch with mk nerfs/buff to other low tiers. But obviously this won't happen so we're on our own.

And what can legitly replace FD? Ps1 got walls , and wall infinites are OBVIOUSLY neutral.

Ps2 has physics changes, so you can't be serious with that.

Castle Siege got the walk-off, and its even easier to get trapped under ledges than it is on lylat.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
time for everyone to drop mario/lucas/ness/DK etc.
Congratulations!

You just removed 4 characters from the game!
they can learn secondaries for problem matchups just like any other character
ICs can infinite everyone
despite infinites, they can still win these matchups, they are just tougher

didn't a dk get top 8 at a national with all infinites on from your state illmatic?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Pictochat still being legal makes this whole ruleset unfit for competitive play anyway. Call me when you're done promoting random nonsense and focus on giving the *better* player a chance to win, not the luckier one.

time for everyone to drop mario/lucas/ness/DK etc.
They shouldn't play these awful characters to begin with.

:059:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this solution really just can't work feasibly

too much time is spent prior to the first game
ppl will just be agreeing to smashville or w.e far too often making stage striking moot
new players will be overwhelmed with the amount of options presented to them

there are MANY things to consider, including the details of running the tournament
1. that isn't true
2. if people are agreeing to the stage then they know what they want and can skip it, why is that a problem? that's why we have "if 2 players agree to a stage..."
3. they are overwhelmed when they'll have to learn the stage anyway?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
And what can legitly replace FD? Ps1 got walls , and wall infinites are OBVIOUSLY neutral.

Ps2 has physics changes, so you can't be serious with that.
All of which of temporary.

Physics changes don't really point out to me as a reason to ban it unless people can prove that it legitimately breaks characters on PS2.

For replacing FD, not really something I'm sure of I'm on the fence with it on a 5 starter list, 7 I say it's an auto include.

However I do know people will complain about FD being a starter, even if I don't mind it nor think it's bad for it to be a starter.

M@v

Subarashii!
Not Saying Ps2 is a BAD choice(Fox can literally fly there on the sky part), but there were better choices imo, japes and maybe even norfair, but thats really, REALLY pushing it.

EDIT: Say you get to the sky part. I'm mk or another character with good aerials. Your a character with bad aerials. Then what?

The one thing I do like about ps2 is how neutral the normal stage itself is. Darn shame there isn't a stage that's just that. (I know one's been hacked but that doesn't count).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
But at the same time, this ruleset is able to be updated at a moments notice so if tournaments starting seeing issues with certain aspects of the ruleset we are willing to change it asap.

z00ted

didn't a dk get top 8 at a national with all infinites on from your state illmatic?
Um... no? I think you are mistaking infinites with a LGL.

Specific rules

DeDeDe's Infinite grab. You CANNOT Chain grab IN PLACE. NOT EVEN ONCE. The small step CG is banned as well. Normal CG is legal.

The Infinite grab-release on ness/lucas is banned. You must HIT them out of the release, do not re-grab.

Bowser/Ganon/kirby/ddd suicide attacks. If these moves are used to end a match and a sudden death happens, Bowser/Ganon/kirby/ddd will be declared the winners.
?

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
PS2 is definatly better than japes and Norfair, especially Norfair.

Oh yeah just remembered Wolf is gonna deal with DDD ledge infinite, balls.

z00ted

I like everything except for the infinites on all characters. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

T-block

B2B TST
Ness/Lucas technically wouldn't have been saved by the infinite rule in the first place anyways. The Marth regrab on them, and Squirtle/Charizard regrab on Ness are not infinites, as the grabber must move. The DK infinite hurts, but ruling against that had enforceability issues in the first place.

Dedede's infinite being legal (also enforceability issues with banning it) really only severely affects DK, Wolf, and I guess Dedede dittos. For the others, it is not infinite until past 100% with reasonably human mashing.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Illimatic, I usually like reading your post because you bring some sense into threads but I'm going to have to disagree about the infinite thing.

It's the same case as ICs they have infinites but they are legal so why ban other characters infinites?

The infinites just make it a bad MU, like Shieks ftilt lock on Fox or Pika's CG. Just learn a secondary or learn to avoid it. Same concept imo

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Not Saying Ps2 is a BAD choice(Fox can literally fly there on the sky part), but there were better choices imo, japes and maybe even norfair, but thats really, REALLY pushing it.

EDIT: Say you get to the sky part. I'm mk or another character with good aerials. Your a character with bad aerials. Then what?

The one thing I do like about ps2 is how neutral the normal stage itself is. Darn shame there isn't a stage that's just that. (I know one's been hacked but that doesn't count).
Depends on who you are.

There are quite a few characters that can control themselves in the air pretty well.

Spent some time testing - these are the characters that can get to the ground somewhat quickly...nothing unexpected really.

Able to descend quickly:
  • Kirby - up-b, down-b
  • Zero Suit Samus - d-air
  • Pikachu - up-b
  • Game and Watch - d-air
  • Zelda - up-b
  • Sheik - d-air, up-b
  • Meta Knight - up-b, down-b, glide
  • Ike - up-b
  • Yoshi - down-b
  • Ganondorf - down-b
  • Ice Climbers - d-air
  • Sonic - d-air
  • Bowser - down-b
  • Toon Link - d-air
  • Captain Falcon - down-b
  • Lucas - up-b

Some control, but mobility is limited:
  • Fox - up-b
  • Falco - up-b
  • Ivysaur - u-air
  • Lucario - up-b
  • Wolf - up-b
  • Ness - up-b

The separation is subjective on my part... those in the first list shouldn't be afraid of committing to jumping against characters not on the list - they should be able to return to the ground much more easily than their opponent. Those in the second list can speed their descent, usually by angling up-b down, but the effect isn't as drastic.

Note the presence of Meta Knight on the first list - this is why I don't agree with this part being horrendous for Meta Knight. His aerial mobility is bad horizontally, but he still maintains a lot of his aerial mobility vertically with multiple jumps and two glides that are not affected by the lowered gravity. This transformation takes away Mach Tornado (which might be good enough in itself for some characters), but it doesn't take away his ability to fight in the air.

Of course, whether your opponent is on one of these lists is just as important as whether your character is. I think things are pretty interesting when two characters from the top list end up fighting on this stage, if both are aware of their options.

As an aside, the descent on King Dedede's up-b IS slowed.
Some characters might be screwed, but for the most part the cast can force themselves to the ground if they are in that situation.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Ness/Lucas technically wouldn't have been saved by the infinite rule in the first place anyways. The Marth regrab on them, and Squirtle/Charizard regrab on Ness are not infinites, as the grabber must move. The DK infinite hurts, but ruling against that had enforceability issues in the first place.

Dedede's infinite being legal (also enforceability issues with banning it) really only severely affects DK, Wolf, and I guess Dedede dittos. For the others, it is not infinite until past 100% with reasonably human mashing.
Yeah, basically this.
The infinite rule only affects like 4 MUs, all of which are fairly uncommon anyway.
Oh and I'd like to point out a typo I found while reading the ruleset.
"The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1" I think you meant 1-2-1 seeing as the starter list is 5 stages.

Top Bottom