• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate (Unofficial) Crossover Game: Card Saga Wars

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
A few of you here may know about a not so little MUGEN project first announced in late 2008 after Brawl came out. Card Saga Wars is a game that has been in development hell for six years, and for good reason. With beautifully detailed character sprites and stages made from scratch, epic super moves, hundreds of assist characters and gameplay similar to Smash Bros, Card Saga Wars is still nowhere near full completion according to the developers.

Here is their old website: http://cardgallery.tales-tra.com/cards_bluegame.htm

For those wondering, that is not the list of assist characters, or so we think anyway. From what most can gather, the game plays like a cross between Super Smash Bros and Street Fighter, and uses the typical fighting game formula of beating your opponent until they KO. You can earn support cards on the field of battle, or Green Cards, as they are known, which release a well known video game character to help out in whatever way they can. Green Cards range from Princess Peach, to Sub-Zero, to Doctor Eggman. The list shown in the link are supposed to be power-up cards, or Blue Cards, kind of like UMVC3's Heroes and Heralds cards. Monster cards, or Red Cards, act in a similar way, but are based on well known video game archetype characters such as zombies, vampires and werewolves.

As for the playable roster, the number is supposed to be around 40 characters, but judging on how long the game has been in development, it could well be more than that. Playable characters range from Smash Bros favs like Link, Bowser, Donkey Kong and Samus, to modern faces like Master Chief. Mario has been confirmed, but we haven't seen any of him yet. Diablo from the game series of the same name has also been confirmed as a boss.

The game is meant to be a celebration of video games as a whole, but their are still some 4th party characters set to appear in some form, like Spider-Man, Goku and Ichigo.

Then there are the game's awe inspiring super moves, known as Crisis Card Attacks, which are like Final Smashes TIMES A MILLION!!!!

Feel free to discuss this upcoming game!

The game is being created by Ahruon and Orkimedes.

Last edited:

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
I've seen preview videos that made me want to try it, but to my knowledge, there still hasn't been a release. Unless this has changed, it's vaporware.

finalark

SNORLAX
Given that the newest thing I saw in that card gallery was Final Fantasy XIII and The World Ends With You is listed under "It's a Wonderfull (sic) World," which was its original Japanese name before an English version was announced, I'm going to say that this project is dead.

Neat idea, though.

Also, this game would drive me mad with its unbalanced series representation. A good third of the roster is nothing but Tales and FF characters.

EDIT: Actually, how old is that page? Looking over it has been a miniature blast from the past from when way back when I was really into anime. Crono Crusade, .Hack, Black Cat, Shaman King, Tsubasa and a few others bring me back to when I was around thirteen or fourteen.

So, thanks for the unintentional nostalgia trip, CrossoverMan.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The website is really old, and hasn't been updated in a long time, but the creators have said that theu are still working on the game.

And there are actually only two FF characters (Cloud and Chocobo), and only one Tales character (Some dude called Leon). How is it one third of the roster? There are actually more characters representing the Mario universe (Mario, Bowser and Donkey Kong).

finalark

SNORLAX
I must have misunderstood how the game was played then, since I assumed that every card represented a playable character.

That being said, a good third of the selection of assist characters consists of nothing but Tales and FF characters.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
They aren't all assists, but yes, there are quite a few Final Fantasy assists. Don't know anything about Tales characters though.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I must say, I find it quite ridiculous that Ahruon and Orkimedes are still making detailed sprite projects by the dozen when they should be making this game. What gives?

In the meantime, I've been thinking about doing my own crossover game project similar to Card Saga Wars. The gameplay should be similar to smash bros in that characters can run back and forth freely and the game should retain the simple special move commands and such. However, I'm a lazy ******* who doesn't know the first thing about game design and programming, so it ain't happening.

finalark

SNORLAX
In the meantime, I've been thinking about doing my own crossover game project similar to Card Saga Wars. The gameplay should be similar to smash bros in that characters can run back and forth freely and the game should retain the simple special move commands and such. However, I'm a lazy ******* who doesn't know the first thing about game design and programming, so it ain't happening.
My friends and I nearly made a complete RPG when we were thirteen to fourteen. The only thing that stopped us was my computer crashing half way through the project, causing us to lose all of our work. With enough determination and time, anything is possible.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I have a few friends who are decent programmers, but none of them are as interested in the things I'm into. I'm curious though. What was your rpg game going to be about? I'd be more than happy to give you design tips if you ever think about doing it again.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm a lazy ******* who doesn't know the first thing about game design
I'd be more than happy to give you design tips if you ever think about doing it again.

If you're really curious, the plot was basically a rip-off of FFVII and a few of the early FF games. Evil corporation wants powerful elemental crystals, so you and your freedom fighter party have to go and stop them. As far as the game play goes, it was pretty standard JRPG fare. Turn-based combat, grinding, stat-building, ect. The character building revolved around these magic crystals that you could equip to your characters. You could equip up to ten per character and they provided stat boosts, new abilities, ect.

Sadly, the computer we were making it on crashed and we pretty much gave up after that. We've gotten together to discuss making other games, but sadly being a group of twentysomething year old collage students who have to juggle work with school means that none of us have the time anymore.

Last edited:

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I was talking about artist design, dude. I'm better at that compared to my programming skills, which are non existent.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was talking about artist design, dude. I'm better at that compared to my programming skills, which are non existent.
Ah. Well, maybe some day then. As much as I enjoy making games (RPGs in particular, since I have an affinity for JRPGs) those days are pretty much behind me. I want to resume that hobby some day, but it's not really a priority.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Understood, bro.

I think a simple card battle style game would be easier and more characters could be included.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Frank West being just a card shouldn't piss me off as much as it does.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Frank is an assist character too. He takes a photo of the opponent to stun them, and then runs them over with a trolley. The animation he does is strikingly similar to the character model in UMVC3. Spooky.

The game has much more eastern gaming influences compared to western influences. Master Chief is literally the only western made character on the roster, and there aren't many western characters on the cards either.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Frank is an assist character too. He takes a photo of the opponent to stun them, and then runs them over with a trolley. The animation he does is strikingly similar to the character model in UMVC3. Spooky.
I know he's an assist character, that fluffles my johnnies. Frank 4 vaporware fighting game. I'm starting a petition.

The game has much more eastern gaming influences compared to western influences. Master Chief is literally the only western made character on the roster, and there aren't many western characters on the cards either.
But Frank West is Eastern. Inafune made.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The last update was back in August 2013. Apparently little to no improvements have happened since then according to AbyssWolf (one of the creators). You should check out his tumblr account by the way. His sprite work outside of Card Saga Wars is incredible.

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
After half a decade or so without a release I just sort of assumed this was a good natured hoax and what we've seen so far has just been mockups.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
After half a decade or so without a release I just sort of assumed this was a good natured hoax and what we've seen so far has just been mockups.
Must be some pretty good mock ups, is all I'm sayin'.

I realise that the way I talked about the game in the original thread post made it sound like I was advertising the game or something, but even after all this time, I still think that the whole idea of Card Saga Wars is cool as hell.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I just came from the Futuristic Apocalyptic Year of 2020 to tell you that Card Saga Wars is not dead!.

...................no wait it is, but at least we can play it! The creators dumped the last prototype back in 2018, is in their Wordpress website (remember Wordpress guys?)

Baysha

Smash Ace
I just came from the Futuristic Apocalyptic Year of 2020 to tell you that Card Saga Wars is not dead!.

...................no wait it is, but at least we can play it! The creators dumped the last prototype back in 2018, is in their Wordpress website (remember Wordpress guys?)
There's also a new version in development.

Top Bottom