• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Hi everyone !

It's a bit late, but I want to join the support list of a certain black hedgehog. Shadow being one of my favorite video game character and my top 3 most wanted for Smash (after Isaac and Lloyd) since Brawl era, I think I'm at the right place.

As many fans, I would prefer him as original character (do not steal) more than an echo of Sonic, especially since I hate Sonic's moveset and gameplay.

As for Shadow's chance for the second Fighter Pass... well, even if I'm not very optimistic, I don't think it's impossible either.

I approach the DLC possible contenders in a very pragmatic way : the marketing and busisness climate. Until now, we know that every DLC was made to promote other games or DLCs (Banjo being the only exception) with Nintendo making the selection.

That being said, if this approach makes me believe that Lloyd has very low chances, I think it could turn the tables for Shadow.
There's several reasons wich make me believe that.

First, let us remember that Sega and Sakurai doesn't seem to have any difficulties to work together. Musics, stages, assist trophies and several characters... That's not a decisive argument, but at least we know it won't probably a pain for Sakurai to add a new character from Sega.

Second, it appears that's Sonic franchise is more profitable on Nintendo console, first because it sells easier, second because there's way more games including more exclusivity. So in opposition to Tales of for example, we can rest assure that the next game would probably come on Switch.

Then the most important part : the marketing climate. Sonic Team announced several month agos that 2020 would be Sonic's Year, and lot of rumors and hints seem to indicate some important game(s) are on the way. 2020-21 is the perfect window to advertise Sonic in Smash bros, since it's exact same period that the FP2.
If Nintendo want to advertise an important game on Switch and makes a DLC that would make a lot of people happy, Sonic is just one of the most safe picks.

Of course, there could be several games to promote in this 2020-21 marketing window. But my point is, Sonic Franchise lines up just perfectly. This argument alone makes me think a new Sonic representative is a possibility.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Updated support list to welcome Ypsen Ypsen to the club

Shadow Supporters: 167
#
  • 15365ion
  • 3DSNinja
  • 7NATOR
  • 92MilesPrower
A
  • Aeon Lupin
  • Akg0001
  • alemerltoucanet
  • amazonevan19
  • AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea
  • AreJay25
  • Arkaizer
  • Arthur97
  • AustarusIV
B
  • BandanaWaddleDee
  • Barbasol
  • BluePikmin11
  • BravadoMan_13
  • BreadnJamTomorrow
C
  • Camc10
  • ChocolatGelgato
  • Chrono.
  • Cool Guy 36
  • CrossDispatcher
  • CrusherMania1592
D
  • Dark2020
  • DarkFoxTeam
  • Darklabo
  • DaUsername
  • dangeraaron10
  • Dee Dude
  • Diem
  • Dixie Kong
  • dkkrang95
  • Dragoncharystary
E
  • Erotic&Heretic
F
  • FalconFire93
  • FancySmash
  • Fastblade5035
  • FooltheFlames
G
  • gebi
  • GreekGamer
  • Geoffrey Druyts
  • Giga Kaiju
  • GlitchWarrior
  • Girnee
  • GM_3826
  • GoldenYuiitusin
  • grizby2
H
  • hermes
  • Houndstooth
  • hposter
  • hydrokyogre
I
  • IanTheGamer
  • Insomneko
  • Isaac: Venus Adept
K
  • kaithehedgefox
  • Keeshu
  • Klimax
  • KMDP
  • kodoru__
  • kylexv
J
  • jamershinobioneobi02
  • Jeanbob
  • JesseMcCloud
L
  • LeeSmash4Me
  • Legendary Spirit Tamer
  • Llort A. Ton
  • Luigifan18
M
  • Madwario
  • magiciandude
  • Maikou
  • MainJPW
  • majorasmaskfan
  • Masonomace
  • Mastermiine
  • Mikegamer0608
  • Mikeline
  • millsfan
  • Mogu
  • MonkeyDLenny
  • Mr. Trumo
  • murdokdracul
  • mynameisBlade
N
  • Nauzgo
  • NessAtc.
  • NIckynickreviews
  • Nikster31
  • Nin*Rose
  • No Sympathy
  • NotTabuu
  • nuclearneo577
O
  • OhMyBanana54
  • OnePerson
P
  • PhilosophicAnimal
  • Pinkanator
  • P.Kat
  • Playat
  • Primal Cookie
  • psb123
  • Putuk
Q
  • QcSlayer
R
  • RandomAce
  • RC-3197
S
  • Saiko18
  • SchAlternate
  • scoobymcsnack
  • Scottfrankd
  • Sean Wheeler
  • SEGAGameBoy
  • SegaNintendoUbisoft
  • ShadowTheHedgehogZ
  • shinhed-echi
  • Shiny Porygon
  • ShortcutButton
  • Ashen Jedi
  • Sirfishe
  • slambros
  • SmashChu
  • smashingDoug
  • Smashing Ramen
  • Smashoperatingbuddy123
  • smash puffle
  • Sølid
  • SonicMario
  • SpaceCadetKeon
  • spoilerowl
  • Spongeboob
  • StarLight42
  • StormC
  • Super Flygon
  • SuperNintendoKid
T
  • Takasmash
  • TCT~Phantom
  • T-Donor66
  • Tempest
  • TerminatorLOL
  • TheFVguy
  • THE 6r
  • The King of Skulls
  • The Legendary Beast
  • thirsty-pocket
  • ThoughtfulWanderer
  • Tikivoy
  • TMNTSSB4
  • Tornado_Man
  • Toucan_Man
  • TRA| Kay
  • Travix Man
  • Troykv
  • TyrantLizardKing
U
  • UberMadman
V
  • valkiriforce
  • VexTheHex
  • VongolaFair
  • vVv Rapture
W
  • Wonks Wonks
X
  • xAquaCrystal
  • Xenorange
  • xNaz
  • XTRAordinaryZG
Y
  • YoYoFantaFanta
  • Ypsen
Z
  • Zabadoo
  • ZagarTulip
  • zeldasmash
  • Zoljinx_
  • ZTurtle

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hi everyone !

It's a bit late, but I want to join the support list of a certain black hedgehog. Shadow being one of my favorite video game character and my top 3 most wanted for Smash (after Isaac and Lloyd) since Brawl era, I think I'm at the right place.

As many fans, I would prefer him as original character (do not steal) more than an echo of Sonic, especially since I hate Sonic's moveset and gameplay.

As for Shadow's chance for the second Fighter Pass... well, even if I'm not very optimistic, I don't think it's impossible either.

I approach the DLC possible contenders in a very pragmatic way : the marketing and busisness climate. Until now, we know that every DLC was made to promote other games or DLCs (Banjo being the only exception) with Nintendo making the selection.

That being said, if this approach makes me believe that Lloyd has very low chances, I think it could turn the tables for Shadow.
There's several reasons wich make me believe that.

First, let us remember that Sega and Sakurai doesn't seem to have any difficulties to work together. Musics, stages, assist trophies and several characters... That's not a decisive argument, but at least we know it won't probably a pain for Sakurai to add a new character from Sega.

Second, it appears that's Sonic franchise is more profitable on Nintendo console, first because it sells easier, second because there's way more games including more exclusivity. So in opposition to Tales of for example, we can rest assure that the next game would probably come on Switch.

Then the most important part : the marketing climate. Sonic Team announced several month agos that 2020 would be Sonic's Year, and lot of rumors and hints seem to indicate some important game(s) are on the way. 2020-21 is the perfect window to advertise Sonic in Smash bros, since it's exact same period that the FP2.
If Nintendo want to advertise an important game on Switch and makes a DLC that would make a lot of people happy, Sonic is just one of the most safe picks.

Of course, there could be several games to promote in this 2020-21 marketing window. But my point is, Sonic Franchise lines up just perfectly. This argument alone makes me think a new Sonic representative is a possibility.
I agree to an extent. however to be honest There are other franchises they could promote that doesn't already have a character in Smash though. Can still happen though

Concerning another Sonic Character, I think the Possibility of 1 is stronger if there's some individual fighters being developed along with FP2. I would say these characters wouldn't need to have stages, which probably takes up time, and maybe could re-use assets. Shadow can definitly re-use assets and technically doesn't need a stage since Sonic has 2 already. Considering there doesn't seem to be other extra content like New modes in development, these hypotehtical fighters could be the extra content. we'll see though

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I really want Shadow, but honestly I don't think he's in. I do think Isaac is in, and hey, they might surprise us with Shadow as a bonus Echo or somethin

7NATOR

Smash Master
Guys. Wake up

Min-Min being in is the Answer. yes It wasn't Spring Man, but Sakurai never mentioned the Assist when Talking about him. Seeing this, i think I understand how this will go

Min-Min is in

Because spririts aren't a thing offcially deconfirming, Geno is In (I never thought they deconfirmed for FP2)

Because Geno is in, Shadow is in.

Simple as that

7NATOR

Smash Master
Shadow has so much potential... I'd love to see him in, here to prove who's the real faker. Count me in!
Glad to have you joined. I would also love to see him in, and i know like 99% of people think Shadow has no shot at DLC, but let me tell you guys

They are wrong

Shadow will be in. If he's not in A Meteor will strike me down, but i'm confident in this.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
With Nintendo putting Springman as a possible candidate; literally showing springman in 2020 HOLDING a Smash invite, THERE ARE NO RULES. If Sakurai wants to upgrade an assist, it IS possible.

Sakurai stated the creator of arms specifically asked for Min Min, so they made her. If the creator of arms said “I want Springman”(instead of min min), we’d have our first assist upgrade. It doesn’t matter if a character is an assist or spirit, min min is playable.

And we saw an assist trophy, Springman, hold an invite yesterday. There are NO rules. Vote for any video game character you want! I feel if Sega and Nintendo wanted to upgrade Shadow, they WOULD. Who cares about fan made rules...

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo made smash legacy take their game off from being downloaded. This shows Nintendo has seen a game with a good Shadow moveset? Potentially good for Shadow fans...

7NATOR

Smash Master
Nintendo made smash legacy take their game off from being downloaded. This shows Nintendo has seen a game with a good Shadow moveset? Potentially good for Shadow fans...
That's What I'm saying too. Even besides that, It's also weird they took it down very recently, when it was it was it's biggest popularity around May of 2018, which is after Smash Switch was revealed, but before it was revealed to be Smash Ultimate. the mod also has Ridley, which was the big E3 Reveal

A theory i had for why they took it down now is because perhaps there is more than 1 character that's being added in, unlike with ridley since he was the only new character added to Ultimate that was in that mod. I don't know if that's how it works, but still

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
If I had to guess, Geno would be the one from legacy if they only picked one. However, hopefully main demand after seeing shadow and other assists get denied again shows Nintendo people want these characters. I know they said they want to please the fans, so I’m always hoping for assist upgrades to appease fans who have waited decades for Shadow, Isaac, Krystal, skull kid

MarioDDR755

Smash Apprentice
I do think Shadow would make a fair bit more sense than Tails, though with virtually every Sonic game just making Sonic playable in the past decade at least it's hard to feel like they'll find it really necessary to add another Sonic rep.

I hope so though. I love Shadow. By some chance perhaps, the Sonic game in development now will have him playable again.

D

Deleted member

Oh, Shadow. Shadow, Shadow, Shadow..

My first ever "most-wanted", way back during the Brawl days. When modding became a thing, one of the first alt costume mods I had was Sonic in Shadow's colours - along with Toon Link in his blue PJs.

If I could make any assist trophy playable, it would definitely be him. Sonic representation in Smash has been.. lacking, to say the least. It's nice that we got Knuckles as an AT, though. But poor Shadow.

I feel as if they should have put him in Smash 4, but it didn't happen, really. Nothing really happened with Sonic in that game besides getting a new stage.

Even after all those years, I still want Shadow. Seeing him playable in Forces again was nice (even if I never bought that game) but it'd be nice to have in Smash. In all honesty, I want Shadow to complete the SMBZ gang. We have Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Yoshi. But Shadow is still a part of that group.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Oh, Shadow. Shadow, Shadow, Shadow..

My first ever "most-wanted", way back during the Brawl days. When modding became a thing, one of the first alt costume mods I had was Sonic in Shadow's colours - along with Toon Link in his blue PJs.

If I could make any assist trophy playable, it would definitely be him. Sonic representation in Smash has been.. lacking, to say the least. It's nice that we got Knuckles as an AT, though. But poor Shadow.

I feel as if they should have put him in Smash 4, but it didn't happen, really. Nothing really happened with Sonic in that game besides getting a new stage.

Even after all those years, I still want Shadow. Seeing him playable in Forces again was nice (even if I never bought that game) but it'd be nice to have in Smash. In all honesty, I want Shadow to complete the SMBZ gang. We have Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Yoshi. But Shadow is still a part of that group.
Me too. Wanted him since Sonics reveal... so many good mods (smash legacy, smash flash 2 mods) have shown me how awesome it would be to play as him. I feel like shadow will happen eventually, but a lot later than I ever imagined. I truly thought after brawl we would’ve gotten him. 100% thought he was coming in ultimate after his assist trophy seemingly being replaced by knuckles. Here’s to hoping he gets upgraded... I’d lkke the ultimate life form in smash ultimate.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Watching this Video actually gives me more Hope for Shadow as a Playable character

I was always under the impression that Nintendo gave Sakurai a list, and then Sakurai has to pick the characters from there

What it actually seems to be is a More of a Cooperation. Sakurai can make a request and Nintendo has to give the Green Light. Nintendo can make a Request and Sakurai has to give a Green light, it's a 2 way street

Why this is useful is I noticed that Sakurai has kind of a liking towards more of the "Edgier" Characters. He Created Dark Pit and Meta Knight After all. He also called Iori a "Brilliant" Design. Now this doesn't mean that He Automatically likes Shadow, but there is a probability that he likely does.

I think with if you Combine this fact, with also how Shadow's Popularity Blown up in Ultimate, along with the fact that alot of people want to see Some type of 2nd Sonic Rep, I could see Shadow being chosen. Granted There's other characters to think about so I don't know.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I agree. I could see shadow in ultimate for sure along waluigi if they upgrade assists. Nintendo has to be aware of the blacklash from shadow, waluigi and Isaac fans.

****New Shadow moveset by Znx. Looks awesome, I’d hope Nintendo and Sakurai see this when making a moveset. It’s so similar to what I envision for a unique moveset!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOLqpY3Dj4

7NATOR

Smash Master
So to be truthful, this whole thing might be a stretch, but i call it "Spirit board Event Theory"

This Theory is that characters being absent from certain Spirit events will make their chances likelier

How does this apply to Shadow, Well

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Spirits_in_Black

This was a Spirit event about characters with alot of Black on them. Even Infinite was included. However Shadow was absent, And he also has a Spirit Event. We all know that Shadow is black as all ever, and He's a very notable character to be absent, especially since Infinite is included.

This Event ran from February the 28th to March 4th, Way after the FP2 Selection was decided.

And it's not like only 1 Sonic character is allowed to be in a Spirit Event, the Blue Spirit event has Both Metal Sonic and Chaos 0

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Cool_Blue_Summer

Something to keep in mind

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So to be truthful, this whole thing might be a stretch, but i call it "Spirit board Event Theory"

This Theory is that characters being absent from certain Spirit events will make their chances likelier

How does this apply to Shadow, Well

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Spirits_in_Black

This was a Spirit event about characters with alot of Black on them. Even Infinite was included. However Shadow was absent, And he also has a Spirit Event. We all know that Shadow is black as all ever, and He's a very notable character to be absent, especially since Infinite is included.

This Event ran from February the 28th to March 4th, Way after the FP2 Selection was decided.

And it's not like only 1 Sonic character is allowed to be in a Spirit Event, the Blue Spirit event has Both Metal Sonic and Chaos 0

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Cool_Blue_Summer

Something to keep in mind
It's an interesting little tidbit, but it's probably nothing. I don't know if the Spirit Team is aware of the upcoming DLC characters or not, and I'm not even sure if they even know all the characters; There's like, what, almost 2000 I think? Who has time to remember all those backstories and details? I'd imagine they just skimmed over the completed collection and selected whoever they thought would fit the event.

In other news, I'd like to be added to the supporter list, please.

7NATOR

Smash Master
It's an interesting little tidbit, but it's probably nothing. I don't know if the Spirit Team is aware of the upcoming DLC characters or not, and I'm not even sure if they even know all the characters; There's like, what, almost 2000 I think? Who has time to remember all those backstories and details? I'd imagine they just skimmed over the completed collection and selected whoever they thought would fit the event.

In other news, I'd like to be added to the supporter list, please.
The Spirit Team i assume are also the ones making the DLC Spirit boards, so they would have to know the upcoming characters to make the boards, for research reasons and such.

There are alot of characters, but the weird thing is that they put in Infinite, but left out Shadow. With how Notable Shadow is , I find it hard to believe they remember Infinite but leave out Shadow. and the Spirit event is only based of the color of the character as well

Even then, like i said this is a massive stretch though, so eh

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I doubt the spirit boards matter unfortunately.

The biggest hope for shadow is that Nintendo allegedly made the Smash legacy xp devs stop working on their mod. They say that’s not the reason why they stopped, but many feel this is the case.

This game has Shadow, waluigi, and geno..so people think Nintendo may have one or some of these characters as dlc?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Both Shadow and Tails merit to be playable. And I want them both to be playable.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I doubt the spirit boards matter unfortunately.

The biggest hope for shadow is that Nintendo allegedly made the Smash legacy xp devs stop working on their mod. They say that’s not the reason why they stopped, but many feel this is the case.

This game has Shadow, waluigi, and geno..so people think Nintendo may have one or some of these characters as dlc?
Likely, Thougtht to be honest we don't know if it's for 1 character or 2 Characters or etc. It's something big to consider though

Both Shadow and Tails merit to be playable. And I want them both to be playable.
Same here, And I'm not even into Tails in Smash that much (from an excitement level), but they should both be in

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I feel (and ever since brawl would’ve thought 13 years later) we should have more reps by now. I always felt sonic should have his gang alongside him - knuckles and tails. And then have his arch nemesis and assist upgrade Shadow.

I know some want eggman too, and I would be okay with a 5 sonic rep, but if we could only have 4 reps, I’d be okay with him as a stage boss since he is mostly iconic for his boss battles. Shadow is cooler than him, and eggman shows this in the cartoon :p

I only say sonic could/should have many reps because although he is third party, he is closer with Mario/Nintendo than any other third party. So strange he has little representation, especially less than other third parties. Sakurai most not like sonic.

Today’s Sakurais birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I feel (and ever since brawl would’ve thought 13 years later) we should have more reps by now. I always felt sonic should have his gang alongside him - knuckles and tails. And then have his arch nemesis and assist upgrade Shadow.

I know some want eggman too, and I would be okay with a 5 sonic rep, but if we could only have 4 reps, I’d be okay with him as a stage boss since he is mostly iconic for his boss battles. Shadow is cooler than him, and eggman shows this in the cartoon :p

I only say sonic could/should have many reps because although he is third party, he is closer with Mario/Nintendo than any other third party. So strange he has little representation, especially less than other third parties. Sakurai most not like sonic.
That's not the only reason why Sonic should have up to at least 5 reps, it's also because Sonic is the potentially the most iconic non-Nintendo videogame franchise in the world.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Yes, I agree. Very weird sonic doesn’t have his gang and shadow playable.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yes, I agree. Very weird sonic doesn’t have his gang and shadow playable.
Not only do we both want Sonic to have up to at least 5 reps, but also Sonic isn't the only 3rd party franchise that deseres to have more than 1 rep. Pacman, Megaman, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, etc. all deserve to have at least 3 reps.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Well, sonic specifically is the only third party that has had many games with Mario/Nintendo; that is why I say he deserves more representation. The other third parties don’t necessarily have that relationship with Mario, and they still mostly have two reps (sf and castle).

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh by the way. If they made Chaos Control an actual Special, along with Freezing time and Slowing down time, do you think they could add in Reversing time, kind of like a reference to Sonic 06 (even though that was more time traveling than reversing time)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Not only do we both want Sonic to have up to at least 5 reps, but also Sonic isn't the only 3rd party franchise that deseres to have more than 1 rep. Pacman, Megaman, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, etc. all deserve to have at least 3 reps.
That's quite overboard, this is first and foremost a Nintendo focused crossover and third parties are guest along with certain other things might prevent them from going this route. That's probably why everyone who is third party is alone with the exception of the echoes Ken and Richter, I'd probably see maybe Shadow (or maybe even Tails) as an understandable choice but I don't see the series getting much beyond that.

Let's not forget that they already had issues regarding the music they could use for the series.

7NATOR

Smash Master
That's quite overboard, this is first and foremost a Nintendo focused crossover and third parties are guest along with certain other things might prevent them from going this route. That's probably why everyone who is third party is alone with the exception of the echoes Ken and Richter, I'd probably see maybe Shadow (or maybe even Tails) as an understandable choice but I don't see the series getting much beyond that.

Let's not forget that they already had issues regarding the music they could use for the series.
On the Music Standpoint, I don't know if there is any Rights issues except for the Classic sonic Music (Sonic 1, 2, and 3&K especially), So if there's a problem with the modern music, then that would be interesting to share

And yeah, because it's Nintendo focused it'll probably be awhile before we have Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, and Eggman in the same game. at least with Sonic though Sega has been a Very Close Partner and Sonic's has been heavily asscioated with Nintendo, so i could see him easier time to get extra characters

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
1596894873565.png

Wanted to share this render it’s a really dynamic pose that I feel would work.

However, I’d like if his right leg was up in the air/off the ground. It would make a cool pose to put alongside Sonics render... it would look like they’re jumping away from each other.

7NATOR

Smash Master
View attachment 281667
Wanted to share this render it’s a really dynamic pose that I feel would work.

However, I’d like if his right leg was up in the air/off the ground. It would make a cool pose to put alongside Sonics render... it would look like they’re jumping away from each other.
Kind of like a Reference to SA2

Where did you find this Render, and also Should Shadow have an Emerald in his Render or should they leave it out

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Kind of like a Reference to SA2

Where did you find this Render, and also Should Shadow have an Emerald in his Render or should they leave it out
I found it on google images by searching “shadow smash bros”. I’m not sure who made this...

As far as the emerald, I’m not against it inthe render, but I’m fine with the emerald being a taunt. I prefer this pose for his character selection screen

Top Bottom