• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to wait, before I get any hopes up. We where told when the first DLC pack was announced that there would be no echo fighters, and they have all been new IP's. Both of those rules go against Shadow.

We'll have to see if the new pack fallows the same guidelines or not. It's certainly going to been interesting to see what they announce next either way.

Shadow Supporters: 165
#
  • 15365ion
  • 3DSNinja
  • 7NATOR
  • 92MilesPrower
A
  • Aeon Lupin
  • Akg0001
  • alemerltoucanet
  • amazonevan19
  • AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea
  • AreJay25
  • Arkaizer
  • Arthur97
  • AustarusIV
B
  • BandanaWaddleDee
  • Barbasol
  • BluePikmin11
  • BravadoMan_13
  • BreadnJamTomorrow
C
  • Camc10
  • ChocolatGelgato
  • Chrono.
  • Cool Guy 36
  • CrossDispatcher
  • CrusherMania1592
D
  • Dark2020
  • DarkFoxTeam
  • Darklabo
  • DaUsername
  • dangeraaron10
  • Dee Dude
  • Diem
  • Dixie Kong
  • dkkrang95
  • Dragoncharystary
E
  • Erotic&Heretic
F
  • FalconFire93
  • FancySmash
  • Fastblade5035
  • FooltheFlames
G
  • gebi
  • GreekGamer
  • Geoffrey Druyts
  • Giga Kaiju
  • GlitchWarrior
  • Girnee
  • GM_3826
  • GoldenYuiitusin
  • grizby2
H
  • hermes
  • Houndstooth
  • hposter
  • hydrokyogre
I
  • IanTheGamer
  • Insomneko
  • Isaac: Venus Adept
K
  • kaithehedgefox
  • Keeshu
  • Klimax
  • KMDP
  • kodoru__
  • kylexv
J
  • jamershinobioneobi02
  • Jeanbob
  • JesseMcCloud
L
  • LeeSmash4Me
  • Legendary Spirit Tamer
  • Llort A. Ton
  • Luigifan18
M
  • Madwario
  • magiciandude
  • Maikou
  • MainJPW
  • majorasmaskfan
  • Masonomace
  • Mastermiine
  • Mikegamer0608
  • Mikeline
  • millsfan
  • Mogu
  • MonkeyDLenny
  • Mr. Trumo
  • murdokdracul
  • mynameisBlade
N
  • Nauzgo
  • NessAtc.
  • NIckynickreviews
  • Nikster31
  • Nin*Rose
  • No Sympathy
  • NotTabuu
  • nuclearneo577
O
  • OhMyBanana54
  • OnePerson
P
  • PhilosophicAnimal
  • Pinkanator
  • P.Kat
  • Playat
  • Primal Cookie
  • psb123
  • Putuk
Q
  • QcSlayer
R
  • RandomAce
  • RC-3197
S
  • Saiko18
  • SchAlternate
  • scoobymcsnack
  • Scottfrankd
  • Sean Wheeler
  • SEGAGameBoy
  • SegaNintendoUbisoft
  • ShadowTheHedgehogZ
  • shinhed-echi
  • Shiny Porygon
  • ShortcutButton
  • Ashen Jedi
  • Sirfishe
  • slambros
  • SmashChu
  • smashingDoug
  • Smashing Ramen
  • Smashoperatingbuddy123
  • smash puffle
  • Sølid
  • SonicMario
  • SpaceCadetKeon
  • spoilerowl
  • Spongeboob
  • StarLight42
  • StormC
  • Super Flygon
  • SuperNintendoKid
T
  • Takasmash
  • TCT~Phantom
  • T-Donor66
  • Tempest
  • TerminatorLOL
  • TheFVguy
  • THE 6r
  • The King of Skulls
  • The Legendary Beast
  • thirsty-pocket
  • ThoughtfulWanderer
  • Tikivoy
  • TMNTSSB4
  • Tornado_Man
  • Toucan_Man
  • TRA| Kay
  • Travix Man
  • Troykv
  • TyrantLizardKing
U
  • UberMadman
V
  • valkiriforce
  • VexTheHex
  • vVv Rapture
W
  • Wonks Wonks
X
  • xAquaCrystal
  • Xenorange
  • xNaz
  • XTRAordinaryZG
Y
  • YoYoFantaFanta
Z
  • Zabadoo
  • ZagarTulip
  • zeldasmash
  • Zoljinx_
  • ZTurtle

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
It Would be interesting to see where this goes

Thanks to this news though, I'm Back full force into Pulling for Unique Shadow as Playable Character. Like i Said, There's alot you can do with Chaos Control to make him unique among the cast, even with using some of Sonic's Assets

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I'd argue it's worse for Shadow Knuckles, as both are assists. Lookin' pretty good to be Tails right about now by comparison...
It really depends on development time. I mean, it'd be faster create Shadow using assets from his AT and Sonic, compared to creating a new model for Tails.

Then again, who knows?

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
If Geno can still have tons of support despite him being represented as a spirit (not that there's any problem with Geno; I support him too!), you best believe that Shadow still has a shot. And with additional DLC fighters after this pass is over, we can't exactly count Shadow out just yet.

Think about it this way; we don't even know what the guidelines for additional fighters exactly entail. It could be third-party fighters again, or it could be first-party fighters like Piranha Plant was. For all we know, there could even be some Echo-fighters thrown in there for some kicks. Sakurai was somewhat vague on what these new fighters could be, so while I am still pessimistic about Shadow's chances compared to last year, I still have some hope for him.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to assist trophies I would like to point out that depending on the stage certain characters will not show up. For example Alucard can't show up in the Wii-Fit studio because he has no reflection, and Knuckles can't show up on GreenHill Zone because he's in the background (You can check in the training mode).

So theoretically assists trophies could still work as fighters just by having them removed from the pool of summonable characters, if that same character is an active fighter on the field

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, Assist trophies do have a good chance of getting upgraded for two key reasons:

1. Sakurai stated he wants to please the fans (and we all are aware there has been a big outcry ever since Shadow, Skull Kid, and Isaac were revealed to be assist trophies); rightfully so... they have been highly requested for years. I know I've been wanting Shadow since Brawl.

2. Sakurai has stated smash's budget has lessened - This makes assist trophy characters an option that would definitely SAVE TIME, MONEY, AND please fans. Characters such as Shadow already have a 3d model made, rigged, and have animations/voice acting done. Half the job is done... they just need more animations and voice acting.

As far as moveset, I want anyone who thinks Shadow is an echo of Sonic to play/watch gameplay of the GBA game Sonic Battle. Shadow fights completely different from Sonic; it is insulting to even try to consider Shadow as an echo. Shadow fights with chaos abilitites and has a stlye that is completely different from Sonic. I know Sakurai heavily researches characters he makes movesets for, so I imagine/hope Shadow would fight similarly to how he does in Sonic Battle.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Not that I'm saying Shadow is a lock, but I'm feeling like he has more of a chance now;

• Most likely the additional DLC characters are the result of the fighter pass being a huge success. The Fighter Pass was chosen ahead of time.
  • Sakurai mentioned he wanted to please the fans, one of the examples of this is Sans being a Mii Costume due to his large outcry and his personal experience with Toby Fox
  • Out of the Assist Trophy characters, Shadow and Isaac had the hugest outcries, especially after the horrid Grinch Leak incident
  • Shadow is not a Mii Costume
  • Shadow has been an Assist Trophy since Brawl, 3 games in a row; and even appears in Smash 4's opening along with Sonic
  • Tails and Knuckles are simply background characters and Mii Costumes, however Knuckles got a upgrade to being an Assist Trophy.
  • Sakurai has personally played Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog, and even acknowledges that while him and Sonic are similar; they have their difference in abilities
  • Shadow shares a similar body and some attacks to Sonic, which could translate easily to a Echo Fighter or to be given the Ken/Isabelle treatment.
  • Shadow is fairly popular despite his detractors

I dont think it would be wise for them to sell you Mii Costumes only to sell you the real characters later. If they were gonna promote some Assist Trophies, Isaac and Shadow should come first.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Not that I'm saying Shadow is a lock, but I'm feeling like he has more of a chance now;

• Most likely the additional DLC characters are the result of the fighter pass being a huge success. The Fighter Pass was chosen ahead of time.
  • Sakurai mentioned he wanted to please the fans, one of the examples of this is Sans being a Mii Costume due to his large outcry and his personal experience with Toby Fox
  • Out of the Assist Trophy characters, Shadow and Isaac had the hugest outcries, especially after the horrid Grinch Leak incident
  • Shadow is not a Mii Costume
  • Shadow has been an Assist Trophy since Brawl, 3 games in a row; and even appears in Smash 4's opening along with Sonic
  • Tails and Knuckles are simply background characters and Mii Costumes, however Knuckles got a upgrade to being an Assist Trophy.
  • Sakurai has personally played Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog, and even acknowledges that while him and Sonic are similar; they have their difference in abilities
  • Shadow shares a similar body and some attacks to Sonic, which could translate easily to a Echo Fighter or to be given the Ken/Isabelle treatment.
  • Shadow is fairly popular despite his detractors

I dont think it would be wise for them to sell you Mii Costumes only to sell you the real characters later. If they were gonna promote some Assist Trophies, Isaac and Shadow should come first.
or Waluigi

I think now would be the Perfect time to add Shadow if Sakurai wanted to. given that the Next Smash game is likely to have a roster overhaul, I don't see Shadow making it honestly due to him being 3rd party and a side character at that.

Shadow has the most canon reason to be promoted from Assist Trophy, due to the Shadow Androids

Shadow, if they use Chaos Control to it's full potential, would be among the most unique Fighter in Smash

Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Ultimate Life Form

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
To anyone unaware of how Unique Shadow could fight in smash, watch these videos to see how he uses chaos techniques (no I do not want to discuss his game where he uses real weapons). I personally think these references would be good for the DLC team to view. I would personally make his down B a counter where he uses chaos control, teleports behind the opponent, and roundhouse kicks them (similar to shulk stopping time with his counter, and similar to lucario moving around and kicking with his counter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ60fyJVi5w&t=195s (lol in Sonic Battle, Shadow's beginning quote is "I'll show you my ULTIMATE power"). Ugh he should be in ultimate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJljuvGxAhM

https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/sonicbattle/sheet/10045/
Here are sprites of shadow from sonic battle. I would love if his right B was the move where he snaps and a chaos explosions happens. Maybe it could work similar to zelda (where it travels if you hold the button long).

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I don't doubt that they could give Shadow a unique move set, I just doubt that they would. Look at Dark Samus for instance, she's not only not using her own unique abilitys, she's taking stuff from Samus she never even did herself in the first place.

Much like Dark Samus (and pretty much every echo) I believe that Shadow exists in this place where he could be an easy/cheaper wish fulfillment pick. Especially since the model and a lot of the move set is already been made for him. Those can be appealing factors if they are on a cheaper budget for Wave 2.

Last edited:

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
More DLC has finally given me hope that Shadow could be in. My main problem is that I don't think Sakurai wants to promote ATs mid generation due to how he views ATs. He views ATs as a good thing; as a way to represent characters that won't be playable. The fans view them as a bad thing; as deconfirming characters or taking them out of the playable pool.

Be that as it may, I really hope Sakurai took note of the Grinch leak and its aftermath. The biggest factor in Shadow's favor imo is that Sega of Japan gave Sonic's rights to Sega of America, who are way more in tune with fan desires. Sega of Japan was responsible for almost denying Sonic in Brawl and are probably the ones who stopped Shadow from being upgraded in Ultimate.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Here’s yet another video showcasing how cool & unique Shadow fights in smash
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9H7MVMj-LGY
I'm more than certain everyone in a Shadow support thread is well enough aware of how unique Shadow could be if he were added to the roster, the main issue is if the devs (I.e. Sakurai) would want to make him unique. There's a small problem of Sonic and shadow sharing a body type and abilities which is enough for Sakurai to say **** it and just make him an echo.

I mean have you played the Metroid Prime games? Dark Samus makes heavy use of Phazon abilities unlike Samus (like how Shadow leans toward Chaos Powers) and yet look at her in Smash...

Last edited:

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
I'm more than certain everyone in a Shadow support thread is well enough aware of how unique Shadow could be if he were added to the roster, the main issue is if the devs (I.e. Sakurai) would want to make him unique. There's a small problem of Sonic and shadow sharing a body type and abilities which is enough for Sakurai to say **** it and just make him an echo.

I mean have you played the Metroid Prime games? Dark Samus makes heavy use of Phazon abilities unlike Samus (like how Shadow leans toward Chaos Powers) and yet look at her in Smash...
Dark Samus might have been made an echo due to time constraints and deadlines of getting the base game out. The good thing with dlc is they’re just focusing on the characters, and perhaps the deadline is not as severe?

If shadow got worked on for an assist upgrade, I’m sure Sakurai would research the games he’s been in and likely make his move set similar to how he fights in sonic battle. Out of all the highly requested characters from the past decade, Shadow has to be a huge deal. If he ever became playable I’d hope he’s unique

Ovaltine

Smash Master
While I'm unfortunately in the boat of thinking that Shadow's chances are dead in the water until further notice, I'd absolutely love to see him promoted to playable. He was one of my most wanted at the beginning of Ultimate speculation, and while I can deal with him not being in (given Shadow gets a lot of attention elsewhere, unlike my other most wanteds at the time/now: Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, and Geno), it doesn't mean I want to see him happen any less. I love Sonic Adventure 2. It's my favorite 3D Sonic game of all time and, apart from Generations, the only one I 100%'d. All emblems, all missions, everything. Shadow has a very near and dear place in my heart, a character I deeply cherish for being a bright spot at a rather dark point in my life. It'd make my heart sing to see him make it.

Good luck, everyone! I do hope that I'm wrong and ATs stand a chance at promotion. My hopes for Shadow will definitely come back if we see, say, Waluigi or Isaac promoted!

Ridley64

Smash Journeyman
GO SHADOW!!!!! (Along with Infinite echo fighter please...)

Shadow might be to Sonic as Dark Pit is to Pit. I should know, I play Dark Pit.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
How many echoes do we see Nintendo giving us by the end of Ultimate’s DLC cycle?
I'm not really sure. DLC so far as been about adding more to the cross over so they can say " Smash x *blank* ".

My theory about adding some echoes could be a likely option if the budget is cheaper still makes sense to me about I'm going to need to see who they reveal after Fighter 5 in order to try and gauge whether or not the pattern of the Fighter Pass is going to continue.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know guys, I Think we need to come out of the Shadows, cause i have a favor to ask all of you

We should find a way to get in touch with the Insiders. Due to Vol.2, I'm getting really hype for Shadow again, however I don't want to have my mind consumed by Shadow in Smash for 2 years and him not get in, so I'm gonna go find some insiders i can talk to to investigate Shadow, and I also ask you guys if you can find any. I would go ask Fatmanonice because despite him being wrong lots of time, he does apparently have some sore of connections, but he is also Geno Man focused, so eh.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
You know guys, I Think we need to come out of the Shadows, cause i have a favor to ask all of you

We should find a way to get in touch with the Insiders. Due to Vol.2, I'm getting really hype for Shadow again, however I don't want to have my mind consumed by Shadow in Smash for 2 years and him not get in, so I'm gonna go find some insiders i can talk to to investigate Shadow, and I also ask you guys if you can find any. I would go ask Fatmanonice because despite him being wrong lots of time, he does apparently have some sore of connections, but he is also Geno Man focused, so eh.
I’d love to talk to an insider JUST to ask why Shadow has not been playable game after game. I’m curious if Sakurai has played SB On the gba. Shadows moveset in that is such a good representation of how unique he is.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I’d love to talk to an insider JUST to ask why Shadow has not been playable game after game. I’m curious if Sakurai has played SB On the gba. Shadows moveset in that is such a good representation of how unique he is.
I Don't know if they would know why Shadow isn't playable, just maybe that he isn't. wouldn't hurt to ask perhaps.

also for Sakurai, maybe he didn't need to play Sonic battle, he just needs to watch Brawl mod videos since Most Shadow PSA's heavily take from Sonic Battle. there's Also SSB Crusade and Legacy XP. Sakurai probably does use youtube.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Well, well, well, we're getting a ARMS character for DLC. Judging by those headshots, it's going to be alt characteres as skins. So...ATs can be playable then? If so, Shadow is back in the game.

millsfan

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo can do WHATEVER they want... I never doubted spirits or assits getting upgraded. We must tell nintendo on their twitter pages that we are interested (and have been since Brawl) in Shadow joining smashusing a unique moveset similar to SB on the gameboy.

Sure, we cant change characters already planned, but if Nintendo sees the demand for a character, you never know who at nintendo will read our wishes, and where it could go. We must raise awareness to shadow in smash. The ultimate lifeform must break free and join Sonic in Ultimate

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
The only arms I need are the Black Arms
Black_Arms_Symbol.png

Seriously though, I like Arms and always thought it deserved a spot before the game came out.

If it is Springman, then that does make things interesting when it comes to how they handle AT's getting promoted in the same game. Seen some people suggest they could just replace him with Springtron. But I still think it would be simpler to just remove the character from the summonable pool if he is already in the match (like they already do with certain stages)

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I made a Classic Mode route for Shadow, if anyone’s interested.
Shadow (redo): “I think you’re the faker around here!”
Stage 1::ultdarksamus:on Brinstar Depths (Multiplayer 1 - Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Stage 2: :ultdoc:on Green Greens (Fever)
Stage 3: :ultlucina:on :castlesiege: (Shadow Dragon Medley)
Stage 4: :ultmewtwo:on :frigate: (Red/Blue Medley)
Stage 5: :ultwario:on Princess Peach’s Castle (Underground Theme - Super Mario Land)
Stage 6: :ultdarkpit: :ultmetaknight: (Dark alt) (free-for-all) on Wii Fit Studio (Dark Pit’s Theme)
Boss: :ultsonic: on :greenhill: Ω (Open Your Heart), then Crazy Hand (team battle w/:ultsonic:, Live & Learn)

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I always liked the idea of his Classic mode having him fight other rival/doppelgangers. Something like...
  1. :ultwario:
  2. :ultwolf:
  3. :ultdarkpit:
  4. :ultdarksamus:
  5. :ultfalcon:(blood falcon)
  6. :ultmetaknight:(default),:ultmetaknight:(dark meta knight),:ultmetaknight:(galacta knight)

Top Bottom