• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Tempest

Smash Cadet
Honestly I'm not giving up hope. There are 5 new DLC characters that can appear in Smash bros Ultimate.

We need to stop going by these "unwritten rules" that Assist Trophies cannot become playable. If there is enough demand, sakurai can make him playable. He can convert him into a playable character. He can patch Shadow out as an Assist Trophy and make him playable, heck music and a new level will come with him, and he won't be an echo. This is a good thing if anything.

I will always stand by the statement: If Richter Belmont and a pot plant can make it into smash, there should be no reason why shadow can't.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I'm not giving up hope. There are 5 new DLC characters that can appear in Smash bros Ultimate.

We need to stop going by these "unwritten rules" that Assist Trophies cannot become playable. If there is enough demand, sakurai can make him playable. He can convert him into a playable character. He can patch Shadow out as an Assist Trophy and make him playable, heck music and a new level will come with him, and he won't be an echo. This is a good thing if anything.

I will always stand by the statement: If Richter Belmont and a pot plant can make it into smash, there should be no reason why shadow can't.
We can always try to campaign for Shadow but I still have this doubt he will be playable :/

hposter

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the day, I'm glad we got the Grinch leak, even if it was fake. It made the dry speculation scene filled with life. Imagine if we were stuck with box theory all the way til' the end...

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
This was definitely a disappointing Direct, considering all we've been dealing with before this past week. That said, I'm still optimistic and excited to have the game in hand December 7th! I'm taking off that Friday and Monday and playing for four days, trying to unlock as many characters as possible with my friends and enjoy every bit of it I can play. Despite the tragic loss of the Grinch leak and no longer having the prospect of Issac, Geno, Shadow, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and, of course, Banjo & Kazooie in the base roster, I still give major props to whoever made that banner. It inspired hope in us and I for one am keeping that fake banner in my collection of photos just as a reminder that the perfect Smash roster may yet be made some day. I hold no hard feelings towards Sakurai and know he's doing his best to please as many people as possible. This game is still going to be fun to play with my friends and hopefully maybe someday everyone's favorites will manage to make it in. I hope you all keep your spirits high and not get mired down in disappointment for too long. This game can still be surprising and entertaining. Hope to see you all on the battlefield!

zerkerxror

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3830-6765
Switch FC
SW-7051-3659-4513
This was definitely a disappointing Direct, considering all we've been dealing with before this past week. That said, I'm still optimistic and excited to have the game in hand December 7th! I'm taking off that Friday and Monday and playing for four days, trying to unlock as many characters as possible with my friends and enjoy every bit of it I can play. Despite the tragic loss of the Grinch leak and no longer having the prospect of Issac, Geno, Shadow, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, and, of course, Banjo & Kazooie in the base roster, I still give major props to whoever made that banner. It inspired hope in us and I for one am keeping that fake banner in my collection of photos just as a reminder that the perfect Smash roster may yet be made some day. I hold no hard feelings towards Sakurai and know he's doing his best to please as many people as possible. This game is still going to be fun to play with my friends and hopefully maybe someday everyone's favorites will manage to make it in. I hope you all keep your spirits high and not get mired down in disappointment for too long. This game can still be surprising and entertaining. Hope to see you all on the battlefield!
I like how you're still optimistic homie, really glad to see somewhat positivity today.
It quite frankly sucks for someone like me who doesn't even actually have a real main.
I promised myself I'd work my ass off if Shadow was in the game and I'd play till I actually became good with him no matter what.
I was super motivated, but now I have no clue who I should be going for (yes, with this big ass roster)
I'll probably have another crack at Sonic, but I just can't get used to his speed.
So gassed that Shadow didn't make it, god...
But hey if you ever interested in throwing hands sometime when the game is out, lemme know homie!
Though I don't think I'll prove to be much of a challenge.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Guys....I'm really sorry. Today was a massacre. They really killed it for so many of us. My heart reaches out to all of you. I wish this never happened.

Just remember....there's always hope! We need to regroup! If we give up now, nothing will ever happen!

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
This was definitely the saddest part of the Direct for me, personally. Shadow and Ken both being Echoes just made so much sense, but I guess one just wasn't meant to be...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So much for Shadow getting any kind of playable promotion, but he definitely wasn't the only unfortunate soul to still get the Assist Trophy treatment.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I do think shadow may have a chance being playable in the next smash installment. I’m honestly not confident enough of him being a playable DLC character. I do hope Shadow fans will all regroup and try to become more vocal to let Sakurai know we want Shadow to be playable.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Guys, let's talk about bias. Why is it that the 3rd parties that got added after Sonic got echos and why the hell does Fire emblem have 2. Like I am so disappointed and so sad and have so much mixed emotions right now.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I do think shadow may have a chance being playable in the next smash installment. I’m honestly not confident enough of him being a playable DLC character. I do hope Shadow fans will all regroup and try to become more vocal to let Sakurai know we want Shadow to be playable.
It's probably safe to assume that Assist Trophies and Poke Ball Pokemon won't be made into DLC fighters, so Shadow will likely have to wait until next time.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
I've lost all hope at this point. :(
Don’t loose hope. I know we are all hurting and it’s normal but I think echos will still be a thing next game and I think Shadow will have a shot next game. We all just have to campaign for Shadow and get his name out there and work together.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Don’t loose hope. I know we are all hurting and it’s normal but I think echos will still be a thing next game and I think Shadow will have a shot next game. We all just have to campaign for Shadow and get his name out there and work together.
Smash Ultimate is probably the last Smash Bros. installment that Sakurai will be directing, so it remains to be seen what the future will hold for the unfortunate souls.

Next game just feels so far away.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate is probably the last Smash Bros. installment that Sakurai will be directing, so it remains to be seen what the future will hold for the unfortunate souls.
That is true and I have a feeling Sakurai wants a break from Smash. He looked very tired in that direct (to me he does). But knowing Nintendo they will probably continue making smash games without Sakurai directing it since the franchise makes so much money. Atleast these are my thoughts.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That is true and I have a feeling Sakurai wants a break from Smash. He looked very tired in that direct (to me he does). But knowing Nintendo they will probably continue making smash games without Sakurai directing it since the franchise makes so much money. Atleast these are my thoughts.
Some games do live on without their usual director. It's much like when a soccer club manager retires from his job; you'll have to adapt to a new manager if you want to move forward.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Well, looks like my 1% of doubt was what I should have listened to. Part of me expected a echo DLC pack but that looks like it's out of the window. Plus, being an assist trophy nearly kills all chances of joining later.

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
Some games do live on without their usual director. It's much like when a soccer club manager retires from his job; you'll have to adapt to a new manager if you want to move forward.
Mhmm agreed. Nintendo will probably hire someone else to be the director for smash.

Well, looks like my 1% of doubt was what I should have listened to. Part of me expected a echo DLC pack but that looks like it's out of the window. Plus, being an assist trophy nearly kills all chances of joining later.
Yea I would love a echo DLC packs but that just seems impossible and since I believe there going to be 5 DLC characters. Yeah I think Shadow is not going to be one of them. I can see Geno and Banjo being DLCs.

Still can't believe it lol. Everyone said he was a lock....*sigh*.... and after I saw Dark Samus make it in I had a lot of hope that Shadow was even more likely after that. Definitely the most heart breaking moment in the direct.

NiceTea

Smash Rookie
At the very least I wont have to waste money on a Switch anymore.
Couldn't they have showed him earlier?
Are you me? lol
I was actually considering buying Switch & Ultimate IF Shadow was at least an echo. Oh well, guess I'll stick to Legacy then.

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Needed some time before I posted this...
Not gonna lie. Seeing the deconfirmation hurt a lot. I feel cheated. Maybe even a little betrayed. They dragged us out and got our hopes up for nothing. I didn't like how they waited until now to finally drop the news on us after so many months of teasing. And all he got was a new animation for his AT. I just wish they'd have shown Shadow at the E3 presentation with the likes of Waluigi, Midna, and the rest. I can imagine the Isaac fans share that sentiment. Probably even hurts them a lot more. It was just a poor decision on their part.
I just don't really understand what went wrong. I refuse to believe that Sakurai could not have seen Shadow as a potential character for an Echo Fighter. Did Sonic Team just refuse to let him be playable or something?

I'm not angry at Sakurai or the devs (although I'm REALLY questioning the rationale behind making Piranha Plant a character...), in fact I liked almost everything in the Direct EXCEPT the characters and Assist Trophies. Well, actually I'm looking forward to Incineroar but still
I'm still getting the game, obviously... I have almost all the characters I'd ever wanted by now. Shadow would've just been the icing on the cake for me, but his exclusion is going to be gnawing at me every now and then, and it just won't feel like the 'Ultimate' Smash to me. Maybe I'm being too greedy. SA2 just meant a lot to me as being one of my first games and I felt Shadow would help represent it, in a way.

Shadow went from being one of the most highly speculated to having one of the most abysmal chances of getting in at this point. Not only did he get AT'd, but Sakurai pretty much delivered a 2-hit combo of DLC characters requiring a new stage and songs, and then added on that there won't be echoes (Why?), so now he's going to have to compete with Tails for being a Sonic DLC character since he'll have to be a unique character from Sonic. Either way, I'll still be supporting him in hopes of a miracle that he somehow makes it in despite all these major roadblocks. But they'll probably be focusing on big name 3rd parties for DLC. Hopefully Sakurai will see all the Shadow support that cropped up during this speculation period and keep it in mind.

Sorry for the longpost. I rode this hype train knowing full well that this was a possibility, but that was a risk I was willing to take. For the rest of you supporting other characters for DLC, good luck. I'll probably just stay here to continue supporting and wait for the day Shadow's playable. Until then, Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I just really don't understand it. What is causing Sakurai and his development team to not put new content and put care for the Sonic franchise after 3 Smash Bros games? Does Sakurai and his team really don't care for the franchise, or is it Sega and Sonic Team having strict limitations? They had TWO games after Brawl to make Sonic better represented, but nothing. JUST NOTHING. Since almost every major Sonic character got featured in Spirits, this kinda sucks for the blue blur. I just really don't understand, and it's so unfair that Castlevenia and Street Fighters got new fighters, but not Sonic. I feel so betrayed and left out despite Sonic still being in this massive crossover fighting game. So upset. :(

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I just really don't understand it. What is causing Sakurai and his development team to not put new content and put care for the Sonic franchise after 3 Smash Bros games? Does Sakurai and his team really don't care for the franchise, or is it Sega and Sonic Team having strict limitations? They had TWO games after Brawl to make Sonic better represented, but nothing. JUST NOTHING. Since almost every major Sonic character got featured in Spirits, this kinda sucks for the blue blur. I just really don't understand, and it's so unfair that Castlevenia and Street Fighters got new fighters, but not Sonic. I feel so betrayed and left out despite Sonic still being in this massive crossover fighting game. So upset. :(
To be honest, the rival of Nintendo's flagship franchise should have more than 1 playable character.

Kulty

Smash Ace
God now we know what it feels like to get neglected. Hey, still love the game, but I don't like how Smash treats Sonic. Nintendo overall does a better job than the Smash development team treating Sonic. Plus, I don't think Sonic is gonna get new content for the third game in the two once again. :(

xAquaCrystal

Smash Journeyman
God now we know what it feels like to get neglected. Hey, still love the game, but I don't like how Smash treats Sonic. Nintendo overall does a better job than the Smash development team treating Sonic. Plus, I don't think Sonic is gonna get new content for the third game in the two once again. :(
I just have this feeling sonic is going to be forever alone. It just surprise me that shadow didn’t atleast make it in as an echo. I hope the next installment of smash shadow will atleast make the cut. But goodness it still hurts that Sakurai kept shadow AT for this long :/

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Does Sakurai and his team really don't care for the franchise, or is it Sega and Sonic Team having strict limitations?
I honestly think it's the latter. Sega up until now has try to downplay Shadow or tried to differentiate him from Sonic. That said, I still feel Shadow should've been revealed way earlier.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I honestly think it's the latter. Sega up until now has try to downplay Shadow or tried to differentiate him from Sonic. That said, I still feel Shadow should've been revealed way earlier.
I want to believe the latter, just bc the team would be limited on how well they can design Sonic as a fighter. That would be understandable. It's basically almost the same situation with Cloud due to Square Enix severe limitations. But then again, I agree with you. They should've just confirmed Shadow back at E3 or the August Direct just for less drama. Shadow being AT after speculating all this time was just a bad move and ''uncool'.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was very much hoping for him to be in. But I'll live without it. Who knows. Sega could've simply said no.

Also, playable characters are Spirits. Spirits don't mean much on their own, really.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Hello from the Isaac thread.

Today we both got some bad and unfortunates news. But we have no reason to give up!

Just gonna say that I'm also going to support Shadow from now on if Nintendo does make another ballot since we can vote multiple time.

I'm even gonna say it, we should do a big coalition whit all the fanbase on the Grinch leak since it's the best thing that ever happened to smash.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
The whole egg man thing

I hate to make it worse but

If you check spirit mode on the official site on how to smash

You will see him on the spirits but he’s a spirit

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
It's been a fun ride ladies and gentlemen, but we unfortunately didn't make it.........

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
ShadowBros, Grinchcord is now up! The goal is the make Super Smash Bros for Switch the Ultimate game!

This discord will focus on making the Grinchleak a reality, a huge collaboration of super smash bros fans!

https://discord.gg/vgvAtW

Top Bottom