• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd much prefer Tails or Eggman, seeing as I'm not a huge fan of Shadow. Being third party though, and seeing as Knux replaced(?) him as an AT, circumstances are really... odd here. I could see Shadow getting in as an echo if only because ever since the Brawl days countless people expressed interest in playing Shadow in Smash, and Nintendo seems to have good enough relations with SEGA to make it happen. I suppose I wouldn't complain if it happened.
I'd consider Tails, Shadow or Eggman as likely Sonic Characters (and would be happy with any of the three; more happy with Tails or Shadow, but whatever XD).

For a Shadow Stage, I'd say either Radical Highway or Space Colony ARK (Final Rush/Final Chase); with the themes: "Vengeance is Mine... for Radical Highway", "For True Story", "Throw it All Away", "Supporting Me", "I Am All of Me", "All Hail Shadow" and "Westopolis". Maybe also "Highway in the Sky... for Final Rush" and "The Supernatural... for Final Chase".

I think that would cover all his bases.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
"Supporting Me" would be my go-to song, if only for Sonic Adventure 2 nostalgia. It's the first Sonic game I ever beat (second one I ever played, I played Sonic the Hedgehog 2 when I was 4, and it was the first video game I ever played), hence why I'd be really cool with Shadow being made playable, Echo or otherwise.

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I would like to have tails or knuckles over shadow but I think he is still fun and has a VERY HIGH chance to come. We have seen knuckles as assist trophy but no shadow?? His chaos control animation is simple, way more simple than making knuckles. We should have seen shadow alongside sonic and knuckles.

His moveset has to be a lot different than sonic though. You cant give him those fair or smashes or dash animations sonic has. He had cool moves in sonic battle. Flying light-trap-things he throws, a chargable snipe attack that creates an hitbox out of nowhere on huge range. He also had a move similar to shadow sneak. If used airborn it always make you appear on ground, shadow does an array of purple flashes around him after reappearing, doing a multi hit attack with high damage

Last edited:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Add me as support for Shadow I always wanted playable in smash bros since brawl and with echo fighters now introduced I think it would be the best option to get shadow in the game even tho I would love him to have his own moveset.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I'd also prefer Tails or Eggman because Tails would bring the Melee rumor full circle and Eggman is a villain, but having Shadow definitely wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if he's an echo fighter. As long as Sonic gets another rep, I think I'd just be happy with that. Also, Live & Learn was already in Brawl and Smash 4, so I think it's a safe bet that it'll return too.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd also prefer Tails or Eggman because Tails would bring the Melee rumor full circle and Eggman is a villain, but having Shadow definitely wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if he's an echo fighter. As long as Sonic gets another rep, I think I'd just be happy with that. Also, Live & Learn was already in Brawl and Smash 4, so I think it's a safe bet that it'll return too.
I have always felt that you can't have Sonic without Tails (well... you can, but the Sonic Games without Tails in a significant, if not necessarily playable, role are vanishingly rare.

The only Sonic game I can think of that Tails doesn't appear in at all after his introduction is Sonic 4 Episode 1. I mean, even "Sonic World" in Sonic Jam had Tails flying around in it.

Yes, I know Tails is in the background of Green Hill in Smash Bros., but Tails should AT LEAST be an Assist Trophy, no?

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
That is true. Tails is Sonic's best friend after all. Tails would be a great addition to the roster, but I feel like Shadow would be easier to add since it would require touching up Sonic's model up a bit. I think its also worth bringing up that Shadow is very popular. This is especially true in Japan where he ranks up high (sometimes outranking Sonic as the most popular character). Regardless, I'd be happy with any pick. I think Sonic is due for a 2nd rep and if they add either Tails, Eggman or Shadow then I would definitely be happy. If all 3 somehow magically got in then I don't think I'll be able to control my hype lol.

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
i was gonna say as a suggestion that shadow use earlier homing reticles over the more recent one sonic has, but watching older 3d sonic games i can't see any reticles until unleashed. Pretty wild it took that long to add an indicator for who you're going to hit.

While i'm mixed on 2 seperate sonic characters in general (espeically now knuckles who would honestly be an actual good idea to add in was deconfirmed) I would definitely be happy to see shadow in as an echo.

Honestly you could probably base the final smash off bayonettas with chaos control into blast finisher, but I imagine they'd just stick with a copy of sonic's with hyper shadow bc it's easier and not from a bad game like shadow the hedgehog

KMDP

Smash Legend
i was gonna say as a suggestion that shadow use earlier homing reticles over the more recent one sonic has, but watching older 3d sonic games i can't see any reticles until unleashed. Pretty wild it took that long to add an indicator for who you're going to hit.

While i'm mixed on 2 seperate sonic characters in general (espeically now knuckles who would honestly be an actual good idea to add in was deconfirmed) I would definitely be happy to see shadow in as an echo.

Honestly you could probably base the final smash off bayonettas with chaos control into blast finisher, but I imagine they'd just stick with a copy of sonic's with hyper shadow bc it's easier and not from a bad game like shadow the hedgehog
I figured the way Shadow's homing attack could work could be like Sonic '06 (I know, hear me out). In Sonic '06, Shadow hangs in the air after the homing attack finishes, and you can continue attacking with punches, chops and kicks. What if you could hold the Special Button and Shadow stops in the air next to the targeted enemy, allowing you to easily use his Aerials?

Also, I think Shadow could go either way with his Final Smash. Chaos Control/Burst, would certainly be more unique, but Super Shadow would be easy (especially since unlike Super Sonic for Sonic, Super Shadow is literally a recolour of the regular Shadow. XD)

Last edited:

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I'm more guessing around the known echo rules, which seems to be mostly the same deal with different cosmetic animations/effects (cool slide feet when running please) and final smashes can be different if they're a clone of another character's (Dark Pit's staff) and tweaked stats/effects, giving him some of his actual moves like the 06 combos would be cool but push him into semi-clone territory, and i don't know if they'd commit to a second 3rd party series rep like that yet.

EDIT: Was it ever Hyper Shadow over Super Shadow? As Kids everyone I knew called it Hyper Shadow, but nowadays everyone calls it Super Shadow

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm more guessing around the known echo rules, which seems to be mostly the same deal with different cosmetic animations/effects (cool slide feet when running please) and final smashes can be different if they're a clone of another character's (Dark Pit's staff) and tweaked stats/effects, giving him some of his actual moves like the 06 combos would be cool but push him into semi-clone territory, and i don't know if they'd commit to a second 3rd party series rep like that yet.

EDIT: Was it ever Hyper Shadow over Super Shadow? As Kids everyone I knew called it Hyper Shadow, but nowadays everyone calls it Super Shadow
I'd argue that the '06 combo idea is just simple enough to justify retaining echo status (since really all it requires, animation-wise, is one extra idle animation for Shadow hovering in front of the enemy, with the programming aspect, I assume, being a simple affair), but I do see your point.

Hyper Shadow is a name specific to the Archie Sonic Comics, in the games it's always been Super Shadow. The only characters with specific transformation names (i.e. not just 'Super') are Sonic (Super, Hyper, Darkspine, "the Werehog", etc.), Knuckles (Super, Hyper) and Blaze (Burning)

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
To add to what KMDP is saying, the "Hyper" forms are activated by the Super Emeralds rather than the Chaos Emeralds, and only Sonic and Knuckles have ever displayed these forms. They haven't even shown up since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I never did understand where the Hyper Shadow thing came from.

KMDP

Smash Legend
To add to what KMDP is saying, the "Hyper" forms are activated by the Super Emeralds rather than the Chaos Emeralds, and only Sonic and Knuckles have ever displayed these forms. They haven't even shown up since Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

I never did understand where the Hyper Shadow thing came from.
Likely, they wanted to differentiate different characters' Super forms. Such as Turbo Tails and whatever Knuckles was doing.

I'm British and read "Sonic the Comic" (RIP) so I don't actually know TOO much about Archie's Sonic other than the random things I've picked up through idle research.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
to me shadow is just more than an echo fighter. He has alot of things that makes him different from sonic. Like the way they both run is completely different. Sonic runs with his feet but shadow more so glides like he's roller skating. I also think his up be shouldn't be the same as sonics. Maybe just teleport up. To me he should be more like how Luigi is similar to Mario. Making shadow a complete clone of sonic would kinda of be such a down grade of the character

KMDP

Smash Legend
to me shadow is just more than an echo fighter. He has alot of things that makes him different from sonic. Like the way they both run is completely different. Sonic runs with his feet but shadow more so glides like he's roller skating. I also think his up be shouldn't be the same as sonics. Maybe just teleport up. To me he should be more like how Luigi is similar to Mario. Making shadow a complete clone of sonic would kinda of be such a down grade of the character
Shadow's Up+B should definitely be a teleport. It's literally,what Chaos Control looks like from an outside perspective.
His Side+B should be Chaos Spear, I envision him throwing three spears at a downward angle when in the air.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree with this, but it seems more likely Sakurai would add him as an echo fighter. It sucks, but I'd rather take that than nothing. I just hope he has his roller skating-like effect when he runs. As for the teleportating, I think that'd be a great change to differentiate himself from Sonic a bit. I can see it working like Palutena where her Up-B has her teleport to any given direction. I'd definitely like to see that implemented.

KMDP

Smash Legend
A thought.

Including the Fire Somersault somewhere in Shadow's moveset (let's say his Dash Attack), then if you jump during it, you jump slightly higher, just like in Sonic Adventure 2.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Assuming custom moves are out, I could see Shadow taking a few of Sonic's to use. His side special could be the Burning Spin Dash and his neutral special could be the Surprise Attack.

His dash attack could be something like this:

As opposed to Sonic's lunge kick, Shadow's would have a ground slam trajectory and have potential to spike on ledges.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Assuming custom moves are out, I could see Shadow taking a few of Sonic's to use. His side special could be the Burning Spin Dash and his neutral special could be the Surprise Attack.

His dash attack could be something like this:

As opposed to Sonic's lunge kick, Shadow's would have a ground slam trajectory and have potential to spike on ledges.
Assuming you're talking about Shadow being an Echo Fighter, changing his Dash attack would probably make him not an Echo Fighter (specials are neither here nor there).

I'd argue that the attack you're suggesting would work better as his Side Aerial anyway (with spiking properties).

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I support Shadow quite a bit, he's very much possible now with the introduction of Echo fighters and his seeming disappearence from being an AT as of right now.

I've always liked him since his inception in SA2 and i'm a very long time Sonic fan, I'd be more than pleased with Shadow being in the game, even if he didn't have his chaos powers, he fits right in as a Sonic Echo and he'd probably have some cool alt colors (or I hope they'd be better than Sonic's at least)

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I cant see shadow being an echo fighter. He cant take some of moves sonic has. He needs brand new flashy attacks

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I cant see shadow being an echo fighter. He cant take some of moves sonic has. He needs brand new flashy attacks
While I agree to an extent, in the core games Shadow has been playable in, he shares most of Sonics properties and abillities.

SA2, Heroes, his own game (besides the gun stuff and his chaos gauges), and a number of others, including Forces recently. They share a kit for the most part, also I agree with Tornado_Man Tornado_Man him being an Echo is literally the only chance he has of getting into Smash.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Thing is, if Shadow isn't an echo I don't see him getting in at all, really.
If Shadow doesn't get in, then that leaves room for Tails! Which is fine by me!

Almost like taking candy from a baby.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
If Shadow doesn't get in, then that leaves room for Tails! Which is fine by me!

Almost like taking candy from a baby.
Wouldn't be disappointed to see Shadow replace Tails in the background of Green Hill, if that's the case... :smirk:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Voice Clips that must be used if Shadow gets in Smash (or I will be very, very cross):

Death Quotes
"Damn, not here..."
"Maria!"
Win Quotes
"Like taking candy from a baby." (fine by me optional)
"I'm the Best!"
"Now I know who I am!!"
Against Sonic: "You're not even good enough to be my fake!"

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Voice Clips that must be used if Shadow gets in Smash (or I will be very, very cross):

Death Quotes
"Damn, not here..."
"Maria!"
Win Quotes
"I'm the Best!"
"Now I know who I am!!"
I'd like
"I'm the coolest!" as a taunt.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman

Death Quotes
"Damn, not here..."
"Maria!"
Win Quotes
"I'm the Best!"
"Now I know who I am!!"
Oh god, if he gets in, he'd BETTER say "You're not even good enough to be my fake" after beating Sonic. If he doesn't, then they really missed a golden oppportunity.

On that note, I actually kind of feel like having Shadow in Smash would be kind of fitting. After all, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle was the very first Sonic game released on Nintendo consoles. That was huge back in the day. So many Nintendo fans had SA2 as their first Sonic experience, and of course, Shadow was a major part of that game. While I do think that Tails and Eggman are more important to the series and should have priority over Shadow for a unique character slot, Shadow sort of represents that turning point between SEGA and Nintendo. And considering how Smash is a celebration of Nintendo history, I think that would make his inclusion as an Echo Fighter all the more significant.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Also i'd imagine as an Echo, Shadow would hit harder at the sacrifice of some speed.

I also hope they'd use Supporting Me or This Machine for him, I Am All of Me, Throw it All Away or All Hail Shadow would work too of course, heck even Westopolis or Radical Highway.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'd consider Tails, Shadow or Eggman as likely Sonic Characters (and would be happy with any of the three; more happy with Tails or Shadow, but whatever XD).

For a Shadow Stage, I'd say either Radical Highway or Space Colony ARK (Final Rush/Final Chase); with the themes: "Vengeance is Mine... for Radical Highway", "For True Story", "Throw it All Away", "Supporting Me", "I Am All of Me", "All Hail Shadow" and "Westopolis". Maybe also "Highway in the Sky... for Final Rush" and "The Supernatural... for Final Chase".

I think that would cover all his bases.
Also i'd imagine as an Echo, Shadow would hit harder at the sacrifice of some speed.

I also hope they'd use Supporting Me or This Machine for him, I Am All of Me, Throw it All Away or All Hail Shadow would work too of course, heck even Westopolis or Radical Highway.
Waay ahead of you. (Except This Machine, didn't think of that one.)

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Waay ahead of you. (Except This Machine, didn't think of that one.)
Oops I needed to read back more, also This Machine is not often thought of as a Shadow theme considering it's also Omega and Rouge's, but I always loved it.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
The only Victory Jingle for Shadow I'll accept. (jk, but seriously, I'd probably be disappointed)

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The only Victory Jingle for Shadow I'll accept. (jk, but seriously, I'd probably be disappointed)
It'd work but i'd also accept the SA2 clear jingle.

It'll probably still be the 06 remix of the Sonic 3 stage clear jingle though.

Last edited:

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
His victory theme doesn't even have to be a straight rip from one of the games. He could get the Dark Pit/Mega Man treatment where the victory theme is a rearrangement of an existing song. Maybe a quick riff from I am All of Me

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with KMDP here. I think the jingle from Shadow The Hedgehog works best here. Especially since it's from a game Shadow himself starred in. It makes a lot of sense all around. Plus, Sakurai himself has played the game, so I'm sure he's familiar with it.

Speaking of STH, I'd also like to see Westopolis' theme make an appearance in Smash if they ever added him. A stage would also be great (just imagine fighting while the city in the background is being both destroyed and invaded by the Black Arms.). However, that's extremely unlikely to happen. I don't even think Radical Highway has a chance, but if either of them is added then I'd like to see the theme added.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm don't support the idea of a third party franchise getting a second character but if Shadow can be an echo I'd be alright with that. Heck my little cousin would love him being in Smash. I whipped these up for you guys

Last edited:
Top Bottom