• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

KMDP

Smash Legend
Bringing this here because this is who I am where it belongs.
A Shadow Moveset

Neutral B: Homing Attack (if you hold the Special Button while using it, Shadow will hang in the air after hitting the opponent like in Sonic '06 so you can use aerial attacks)
Side B: Chaos Spear (throws three spears at once outwards, up if on the ground, down if in the air)
Up B: Chaos Control (a warp like Zelda/Mewtwo/Palutena, reappears in a swirling bubble that can damage enemies)
Down B: Spin Dash (same as Sonic)

Neutral Attacks: His chop/kick basic combo from Sonic Battle.
Neutral Air Attacks: The air attacks he does in '06.
Forward Tilt: Roundhouse Kick
Forward Aerial: A double fist hammer punch (like in the Shadow the Hedgehog intro)
Dash Attack: Fire Somersault (If you jump during this, Shadow jumps higher, like in SA2)
Down Aerial: Same as Sonic's because Sonic literally took it from Shadow.

This is all I got so far, pretty much.
This actually brought funny idea into my head. Just imagine every time Shadow hits the blast zone he screams "Damn!" just like in his game. I know that would never happen, but the idea of it makes me laugh.
See my post from page 2. :) (quoted below)
Voice Clips that must be used if Shadow gets in Smash (or I will be very, very cross):

Death Quotes
"Damn, not here..."
"Maria!"
Win Quotes
"Like taking candy from a baby." (fine by me optional)
"I'm the Best Coolest!"
"Now I know who I am!!"
Against Sonic: "You're not even good enough to be my fake!"

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Guys, the writing was on the wall all along!
It is so obvious that Shadow is gonna be a playable character in this new Smash.

After all...

THIS IS THE

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It is so obvious that Shadow is gonna be a playable character in this new Smash.

After all...

THIS IS THE
Yes it would be quite the missed opportunity if the Ultimate lifeform couldn't appear, in the Ultimate game.

Or should I say in the words of SA1 Eggman "This AWESOME game".

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
KMD pretty much nailed what his move set should be. I thought the same thing about his B moves.

Anyway, For his Final Smash he should turn into Super Shadow on its activation and use his Choas Blast. Causing a big red energy explosion around himself that sends opponents caught in it flying.

The Super Shadow part is just for the sake of seeing it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
KMD pretty much nailed what his move set should be. I thought the same thing about his B moves.

Anyway, For his Final Smash he should turn into Super Shadow on its activation and use his Choas Blast. Causing a big red energy explosion around himself that sends opponents caught in it flying.

The Super Shadow part is just for the sake of seeing it.
Super Shadow wouldn't be that hard either, since it's just a Shadow recolour.

Last edited:

Pinkanator

Smash Rookie
Finally got around to making an account to input on this.

In an ideal world, Shadow should have a homing attack B (with that 06 combo potential I hadn't thought of), Chaos Spears on Side B, Mewtwo warping on Up B, and a spindash on Down B, or if we wanted to go full wacky, a warping counter of some kind. Maybe a good old fashioned Silver Roundhouse. Personally figured the Final Smash should involve some kind of Super Chaos Blast but that's just me.

Also, since I don't think anyone brought it up yet, even though I've found no footage to prove it, in Shadow, providing you were unarmed, Shadow had a simple punch, punch, Flash Kick combo that would be perfect for a neutral A.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman

After all...

THIS IS THE
This legit made me laugh for a good minute. I don't think anything in this thread will top this now. You win.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Finally got around to making an account to input on this.

In an ideal world, Shadow should have a homing attack B (with that 06 combo potential I hadn't thought of), Chaos Spears on Side B, Mewtwo warping on Up B, and a spindash on Down B, or if we wanted to go full wacky, a warping counter of some kind. Maybe a good old fashioned Silver Roundhouse. Personally figured the Final Smash should involve some kind of Super Chaos Blast but that's just me.

Also, since I don't think anyone brought it up yet, even though I've found no footage to prove it, in Shadow, providing you were unarmed, Shadow had a simple punch, punch, Flash Kick combo that would be perfect for a neutral A.
He has some interesting moves from Sonic Battle that could work too.

Shadow-C._Nightmare.jpg

Chaos Nightmare could be a neutral aerial or uair, he lifts up and raises both hands which get engulved by chaos energy and blows people away.

Klimax

Smash Ace
At this point, i'm like 100% sure that Shadow is going to make it as an echo fighter.
They need to promote this new notion that is echo fighter and i feel like Shadow is really the best pick to do it.
He is really really popular, i recently saw a vote "Sonic vs Shadow" on Snapchat, 10K+ people voted and Shadow was more popular than Sonic.
So yeah, i think it's a good idea to have him as a echo.

And i really want to see him since i was maining him on Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed and reached the top 10 best world's player. :chuckle:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Ever since the reveal of Knuckles’ Assist Trophy and the new “Echo Fighter” classification of near clones, Shadow has been a potential candidate around many Smash fans’ minds. I initially despised the possibility of it happening, but after thinking about it critically, Shadow is an addition that makes some sense in the context of being an Echo Fighter. The character’s popularity is not to be understated. Shadow is extremely popular in the Sonic fanbase and I would not be surprised if he performed strongly in ballot votes to be an Echo Fighter consideration.

Considering Daisy was likely added purely because to her ballot popularity, I can easily imagine Sakurai thinking in a very different mindset for Echos, to which he tries to cater to as many fans as possible to Ultimate by adding Shadow. I do not believe that will be concerned about adding a second character from a third-party franchise, so as long as the character is similar enough to its counterpart to develop an quick and easy addition. Even though Shadow would be more suited to being more unique with the potential to use his chaos powers, in many Sonic games, he plays so similarly to Sonic that I would not be shocked if Sakurai thought of the similarities too and used that as a basis to seriously consider Shadow for a possible Echo Fighter.

There is not much else to say on Shadow really, as the possible reasons for his inclusion is very straightforward. I understand that there are Smash fans out there that absolutely do not like the idea of multiple characters from the same third party franchise. But, I feel what should be understood that Sakurai will likely think in a different criteria when it comes to choosing Echo Fighters. The rules of choosing Echos are likely much more looser, boiling down the usual newcomer criteria down to just ballot popularity. There might one exception such as the Octolings when it comes to alternate costume to character situations, but I feel most of the Echo Fighters chosen will be of ballot candidates, with Shadow being among one of them.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
So I've been thinking a lot about how Sakurai decided on Ultimate back in December 2015 and how it might relate to the ballot. I feel like the ballot might have had a strong influence on Sakurai when it comes to Shadow. I recently revisited Source Gaming's article on the perception of Japanese DLC because remember Shadow placing decently on that poll.

It's no secret that Shadow is very popular and this especially holds true in Japan. If we're to take in "casuals" and hardcore fans into effect then it definitely wouldn't surprise me if Shadow got high up there in the ballot. It's possible Sakurai may want to appeal to these fans by making him an Echo Fighter. This way it won't take much work to include him and he'll make plenty of fans happy. It's also worth mentioning that since the reveal of Echo Fighters and Knuckles seemingly taking over his AT role, requests for Shadow have dramatically increased. I've read quite a few tweets (from both the U.S. and Japan) about people being very excited about the idea. So things are definitely looking up for the Ultimate Lifeform.

Overall, I'm not saying this guarantees Shadow's inclusion. When it comes to character speculation I don't think there's ever a guarantee for a characters chances. However, I did think this was worth bringing up and it could shed some light into the possibility of him being included as an Echo Fighter. I know not everyone is fond of the idea of him being an EF, but if that's really the only way he can get in then I'll take it. I'll definitely be happy to see my favorite Sonic character be playable in any form. So here's hoping for the best.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
When looking at those poll results, and seeing where we're at now, we can get a good idea of what he might've been looking at. For one, Banjo & Kazooie and Geno seem incredibly unlikely to me. Krystal was already deconfirmed as an AT. Wolf, Roy, Snake, Inklings, Ridley, Bayo, Cloud, and the IC are already in the game. That slims down the choices by a lot. That leaves us with:

K.Rool, Waddle Dee, Magolor, Paper Mario, Dixie, Arle Nadja, Isaac, Ray, Captain Toad, Shadow, and Viridi.

Right from the get-go, two of the characters among that smaller list seem like possible candidates for Echo Fighter shove-ins, being Shadow and Dixie. I don't see a Waddle Dee getting in as a character to be honest, Bandana Dee maybe. Since Sakurai definitely considers international popularity, Dixie, Shadow, K.Rool, and maybe (but doubtfully) Paper Mario have probably been considered. That's something to think about.

Of course, not that those are the only reasons for him choosing who to include or not.

edit: Forgot Ashley. I could see that too.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So I've been thinking a lot about how Sakurai decided on Ultimate back in December 2015 and how it might relate to the ballot. I feel like the ballot might have had a strong influence on Sakurai when it comes to Shadow. I recently revisited Source Gaming's article on the perception of Japanese DLC because remember Shadow placing decently on that poll.

It's no secret that Shadow is very popular and this especially holds true in Japan. If we're to take in "casuals" and hardcore fans into effect then it definitely wouldn't surprise me if Shadow got high up there in the ballot. It's possible Sakurai may want to appeal to these fans by making him an Echo Fighter. This way it won't take much work to include him and he'll make plenty of fans happy. It's also worth mentioning that since the reveal of Echo Fighters and Knuckles seemingly taking over his AT role, requests for Shadow have dramatically increased. I've read quite a few tweets (from both the U.S. and Japan) about people being very excited about the idea. So things are definitely looking up for the Ultimate Lifeform.

Overall, I'm not saying this guarantees Shadow's inclusion. When it comes to character speculation I don't think there's ever a guarantee for a characters chances. However, I did think this was worth bringing up and it could shed some light into the possibility of him being included as an Echo Fighter. I know not everyone is fond of the idea of him being an EF, but if that's really the only way he can get in then I'll take it. I'll definitely be happy to see my favorite Sonic character be playable in any form. So here's hoping for the best.
It's always something I've kind of wanted in the back of my head since Sonic was made playable in Brawl but it never really had any backing until now and i'm glad to see it might actually happen now.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Amazing trailer idea:
The trailer fades in, we see the desk from the "Gamer" stage.
A gun, a yellow chaos emerald, and a Nintendo Switch copy of Smash Bros Ultimate is on the desk.
Someone picks up the copy of Smash.
"This is the ULTIMATE!"
The camera reveals it's Shadow.
Tagline: Shadow uses your- CHAOS CONTROL!

..........yeah sorrynotsorry.

Anyway, count me in for supporting him. Sega has been giving him more love with Forces & now Sonic Racing, so I feel this might be the best time (and chance) to see him as a fighter, and this is the most excited i've been for the idea since Brawl was coming out.
Also if his victory music is the stage clear track from his game I will scream!

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
As a big fan of the Sonic series, I just hope it gets more playable representation in Smash at all. Whether it be Tails, Knuckles, (well not a possibility anymore, RIP,) Shadow, Silver, Amy, Metal, or even Dr. Eggman, I'll be happy. Shadow as an Echo Fighter seems to be a very likely possibility at this point in time, and one I would whole-heartedly embrace. He has always been one of my favorite characters in the franchise, and although in an ideal world he would have a more unique moveset, I would prefer just to be able to play as him at all.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I think that the Sonic franchise is the only guest franchise that can have more than one characters because at this point, i don't even think that we can consider Sonic as a guest since he had many cross over with Mario.

With Knuckles deconfirmed and Tails not popular enough (same for Eggman), i think that Shadow is definitely a shoe-in. At this point, i just can't imagine him not being playable, he's really the only character that i can say is sure to be in the game.

Klimax

Smash Ace
That's tricky, can we really consider him a guest at this point ? Since Mario & Sonic at the olympic games, i feel like he's part of the family.
So i wouldn't be shocked by a second character (as long as he's an echo fighter). Shadow is the second most popular character in the Sonic franchise (and many people prefer him over Sonic), I think he's a bit legit.

Arthur97

Smash Master
That's tricky, can we really consider him a guest at this point ? Since Mario & Sonic at the olympic games, i feel like he's part of the family.
So i wouldn't be shocked by a second character (as long as he's an echo fighter). Shadow is the second most popular character in the Sonic franchise (and many people prefer him over Sonic), I think he's a bit legit.
A crossover doesn't make Sonic first or second party.

Klimax

Smash Ace
"i feel like he's part of the family."

I never said he was first or second party.
But in the collective unconscious, Sonic doesn't feel like a guest anymore.

KMDP

Smash Legend
K.Rool, Waddle Dee, Magolor, Paper Mario, Ashley, Dixie, Arle Nadja, Isaac, Ray, Captain Toad, Shadow, and Viridi.
Yeah, these are definitely characters one shouldn't sleep on. Not to mention SourceGaming's Western-oriented poll, though I don't know where Shadow placed on that. (I know Isaac placed highest on that poll when you don't include vets, but that's not relevant to this thread.)
Sonic is that weird neighbour who keeps coming over because he has nothing better to do. :laugh:
But in the collective unconscious...
"Sonic in Mementos" when? (Just like "Sonic in NiGHTS"!)

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I never said he was first or second party.
But in the collective unconscious, Sonic doesn't feel like a guest anymore.
I agree with this, he kinda just fits in the with the Nintendo collective.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Sonic probably has the best relationship with Nintendo than every other 3rd party rep. Most of his games have been on Nintendo platforms along with some exclusives. Your opinion on said titles are another story, but there's no doubt his titles have done super well on them.

It's at the point to where even Sega themselves think that his audience is at Nintendo and I personally believe that. With all the history, crossovers, and support from Sega, it's no wonder why we think he's apart of the family.

I personally think it'd be perfectly fine if he got a 2nd rep. Now I'm not saying he "deserves" it because that's not how Sakurai see's things. If he see's potential in Shadow as an Echo Fighter then I'd be very content with that. We're just gonna have to wait and see how that goes.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Sonic probably has the best relationship with Nintendo than every other 3rd party rep. Most of his games have been on Nintendo platforms along with some exclusives. Your opinion on said titles are another story, but there's no doubt his titles have done super well on them.

It's at the point to where even Sega themselves think that his audience is at Nintendo and I personally believe that. With all the history, crossovers, and support from Sega, it's no wonder why we think he's apart of the family.

I personally think it'd be perfectly fine if he got a 2nd rep. Now I'm not saying he "deserves" it because that's not how Sakurai see's things. If he see's potential in Shadow as an Echo Fighter then I'd be very content with that. We're just gonna have to wait and see how that goes.
I'm still waiting on a proper Sonic & Mario platforming crossover but I agree with what you said 100%.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Sonic has been in Smash since Brawl and is the only 3rd party character that has perfect attendance.

Even so, a second character might be a stretch. However, an Echo Character that doesn't eat up a lot of dev time? Sure! Why not?

I don't see Shadow being anything other than just Sonic with different mannerisms and a different Final Smash. He has loads of moveset potential, but if he makes it, it's gonna be a slightly tweaked Sonic. I can't see it happen any other way.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Speaking of Final Smashes, what would his be? Super Shadow? Maybe Chaos Blast?
I envision it this way:

He starts the Final Smash by tossing a Chaos Spear diagonally at the ground, opponents hit by it are stunned by it. Shadow then uses Chaos Blast (maybe after transforming into Super Shadow).
It'd be neat.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I envision it this way:

He starts the Final Smash by tossing a Chaos Spear diagonally at the ground, opponents hit by it are stunned by it. Shadow then uses Chaos Blast (maybe after transforming into Super Shadow).
It'd be neat.
It'd be a bit more effort but maybe he could stop time and call Omega & Rouge in really quick and do their Heroes Team Attack.

It'll probably be Super Shadow w/Chaos Spear though.

Last edited:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
No offense to all the Shadow supporters here, but I just can't get behind this idea. Shadow potentially getting a spot before Tails just feels wrong to me. I wouldn't have wanted Wario before Luigi either.

SonicMario

Smash Master
No offense to all the Shadow supporters here, but I just can't get behind this idea. Shadow potentially getting a spot before Tails just feels wrong to me. I wouldn't have wanted Wario before Luigi either.
I'm in the same boat myself, though if echo fighters is the only way Sonic's getting a 2nd character then I could probably tolerate Shadow a little more. As much as some people are hesitant about Shadow being an echo, it'd make even less sense for Tails or Knuckles to be one.

Though semi-clone/unique wise I'm with you all the way.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Mario =/= Sonic

Just because Mario did a certain order (I think Bowser should have been there before Luigi). Doesn't mean we have to adhere to that same logic here. I could do my tired, Shadow's popularity and iconic first showing up in a game that happened to be many a Nintendo fans first experience with Sonic talk but,

I'm not sure why you're coming into a support thread to shoot down the idea? Seems kind of just pointless. Plus using "no offense" usually isn't the best way to start a discussion regardless.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Mario =/= Sonic

Just because Mario did a certain order (I think Bowser should have been there before Luigi). Doesn't mean we have to adhere to that same logic here. I could do my tired, Shadow's popularity and iconic first showing up in a game that happened to be many a Nintendo fans first experience with Sonic talk but,

I'm not sure why you're coming into a support thread to shoot down the idea? Seems kind of just pointless. Plus using "no offense" usually isn't the best way to start a discussion regardless.
I'm not gonna boycott the game if he gets in or anything. I don't hate Shadow. I just don't love him either. Sure he's iconic to a degree, but as far as true gaming iconography goes, hes not in the same league as Tails or Knuckles or Eggman, all of whom are also in that game Shadow is in, and a whole lot more besides.

I'm not trying to cause trouble in the thread. I apologize if that's what i did. I'm just a lifelong Sonic fan who thinks there are better options. I'm also a bit of a crank. Why is Silver running through the loop in Green Hill Zone? It should be Amy!

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
In an attempt to hopefully avoid a big Tails Vs. Shadow debate that I hope doesn't need to happen here. What'd be a nice idea is come the DLC period there are DLC packs that contain one unique/semi-clone character with a free Echo Fighter to go with it. And a Tails & Shadow pack would be a nice idea.

Granted I think it's very unlikely and seeing 3 Sonic characters probably would not be received very well among the general Smash fanbase. But can't quite help dreaming now of a trailer that reveals Tails and somewhere at the end or so Shadow appears too though with a more minor role as an Echo ala Dark Pit's cameo in Palutena's trailer back in Smash 4.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
In an attempt to hopefully avoid a big Tails Vs. Shadow debate that I hope doesn't need to happen here. What'd be a nice idea is come the DLC period there are DLC packs that contain one unique/semi-clone character with a free Echo Fighter to go with it. And a Tails & Shadow pack would be a nice idea.

Granted I think it's very unlikely and seeing 3 Sonic characters probably would not be received very well among the general Smash fanbase. But can't quite help dreaming now of a trailer that reveals Tails and somewhere at the end or so Shadow appears too though with a more minor role as an Echo ala Dark Pit's cameo in Palutena's trailer back in Smash 4.
Not trying to start a war. In a perfect world, they'd both be in! I'll calmly back out of this thread and go back to the Tails thread. I do just want to say that if Echo Shadow is indeed our best chance for a second Sonic character, I'm fine with that.

Maria...

SonicMario

Smash Master
Not trying to start a war. In a perfect world, they'd both be in! I'll calmly back out of this thread and go back to the Tails thread. I do just want to say that if Echo Shadow is indeed our best chance for a second Sonic character, I'm fine with that.

Maria...
I know you weren't trying to start something. But just in case someone did kinda respond to your post in a challenge sort of way and it quickly goes downhill into a big debate. Would definitely not like seeing sand thrown in eachother's eyes on either choice between the two. It should be considered a miracle if Sonic gets a 2nd character at all after all, cause it's very possible Sonic is alone again too. We're asking for something similar even if we have different preferences and one may now have an easier path then the other.

Top Bottom