• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I actually think it’d be a great time to finally reprise “Throw it All Away”

Maybe even For True Story if the segment had him facing off with Sonic.
Those would be my two top picks for Shadows music.
For True Story would probably work best, since it'd also work well as a BG track as you fight.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Those would be my two top picks for Shadows music.
For True Story would probably work best, since it'd also work well as a BG track as you fight.
Also wouldn't say no to Supporting Me or Westopolis, Shadow has way too many good leitmotifs

Klimax

Smash Ace
I truly believe that Shadow is untouchable, i believe it since they introduced the notion of echo fighters.

Hey guys, what's your best memory about Shadow ? The thing that made you a fan of this guy.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I feel like some people ought to have a side of caution regarding Shadow. Yes, as of right now it feels like the signs are there for Shadow to be the next echo fighter announcement. But you should always be careful. What if Shadow's AT is just replaced with Knuckles' and nothing more? That probably at least extends the support time for most of you guys to DLC if that happens. I just fear regardless the reaction if Shadow is not in the base game from everyone who was sure he would be in just because of what we've got so far. They're things that definitely helps Shadow's case but in no way does it make Shadow confirmed already or even above 90% chance for the base game I feel.

Hey guys, what's your best memory about Shadow ? The thing that made you a fan of this guy.
I... have a complicated history with Shadow. I did really like him in Sonic Adventure 2. And to a lesser extent Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle. But everywhere else they either botched some things about him and/or got really overrated.

I'm not sure I can say a singular moment that's my best memory other then Adventure 2 as a game itself since it was what introduced me to the Sonic series. I do admit though that I wish they had stayed with what the ending of Team Dark's story in Sonic Heroes implied about Shadow. The SA2 Shadow we knew is dead and will stay dead, but the Shadow that's in Heroes and we can assume onwards is a clone created by Dr. Eggman so we wouldn't necessarily have to tie this Shadow to being the original Shadow. But the Shadow the Hedgehog game kind of screwed that all up.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I truly believe that Shadow is untouchable, i believe it since they introduced the notion of echo fighters.

His badass moments in SA2 cemented it along with his turn into an anti hero, he had some really cool moments in Heroes, 06 and his own game too. Along with Sonic Battle.

He was just so different compared to the rest of the cast.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I always loved Shadow, ever since Sonic Adventures 2. When i first saw him, he was like the coolest character ever (i was young, so, the cliché of the anti-hero, edgy rival of the main character worked well). Then, i discovered Super Mario Bros Z and Shadow was the strongest character of the group, he was badass as hell. I also remember playing Shadow The Hedgehog, a friend had the game and we played it. It was crazy to play a dark hedgehog killing aliens with a gun, i felt like an adult playing this game. :laugh:

Then, i started to lose interest in the character until... Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing. My friend who was a huge Sonic's fan had the game and we played it a lot. Shadow had his motorbike from his game, it looked so cool. We played so many hours on that game. Years later, they released Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed. I bought the game day one and i started playing it. The Shadow's motorbike was gone but hey, i still wanted to play him.

And i played this game A LOT. When i was playing online, i was only playing Shadow. And at some point, i was the 3rd best player online, I even played against the 1st (he won easily but hey, playing against the best player is still a huge thing haha). And all of this, i did it with Shadow. Since this day, i love this character, there's a connection, i can't explain it, it's like he's a close friend and we climbed the ladder together. :laugh:

A part of me is 100% conviced that he's going to be in the game, but another part is telling me "nah, that's too good to be true". I can't wait, i need to know haha

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m hoping Shadow gets revealed in October...it just seems right to do so

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I'll just keep updating this every couple pages when needed, till the OP gets updated.

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
  1. TCT~Phantom
  2. ThoughtfulWanderer
  3. smash puffle
  4. Wonks
  5. NIckynickReviews
  6. Travix Man
  7. SonicMario
  8. AustarusIV
  9. SegaNintendoUbisoft
  10. Sean Wheeler
  11. dangeraaron10
  12. majorasmaskfan
  13. slambros
  14. SmashChu
  15. Geoffrey Druyts
  16. Mogu
  17. ZTurtle
  18. GM_3826
  19. KMDP
  20. 7NATOR
  21. Camc10
  22. violetsmashfan
  23. 92MilesPrower
  24. DarkFoxTeam
  25. Tornado_Man
  26. hermes
  27. Mikegamer0608
  28. Chocolatgelato
  29. Sirfishe
  30. SHSL Jedi
  31. GoldenYuiitusin
  32. VexTheHex
  33. AreJay25
  34. putuk
  35. TerminatorLOL
  36. Pinkanator
  37. Klimax
  38. BluePikmin11
  39. Tikivoy
  40. UltraMadman
  41. Arthur97
  42. IanTheGamer
  43. StormC
  44. The Legendary Beast
  45. Takasmash
  46. TMNTSSB4
  47. SchAlternate
  48. Mikegamer0608
  49. Mastermiine
  50. P.Kat
  51. Erotic&Heretic
  52. Dixie Kong
  53. Houndstooth
  54. Troykv
  55. vVv Rapture
  56. SEGAGameBoy
  57. SuperNintendoKid
  58. ZagarTulip
  59. zeldasmash
  60. ShadowTheHedgehogZ
  61. Dragoncharystary
  62. JesseMcCloud
  63. Legendary Spirit Tamer
  64. FooltheFlames
  65. Arkaizer
  66. MainJPW
  67. smashingDoug
  68. Dee Dude
  69. CrusherMania1592
  70. Sølid
  71. ShortcutButton
  72. kylexv
  73. Giga Kaiju
  74. TheFVGuy
  75. Shiny Porygon
  76. LeeSmash4Me
  77. magiciandude
  78. The King of Skulls
  79. MonkeyDLenny
  80. xNaz
  81. grizby2
  82. Saiko18
  83. Smashoperatingbuddy123
  84. Xenorange
  85. Akg0001
  86. BravadoMan_13
  87. YoYoFantaFanta
  88. Chrono.
  89. RC-3197

Hey guys, what's your best memory about Shadow? The thing that made you a fan of this guy.
Sonic Adventure 2 on the Gamecube was probably my favorite childhood game. The similarities its story telling and DBZ really appealed to me and made it feel so cool. And Shadow's character arc in that game really stood out me. His sacrifice at the end of the game made me question my parents if a bad person died saving the world, would he still get to go to heaven? I look back at that and think its amazing how that ending affected me like that.

Then when Sonic Heroes came out, I was so happy/excited to see that he was still alive. When I got the game I just had to play as Team Dark first just to know how he was back. Rouge's implication that they weren't the same Shadow went over my head though :laugh: (I thought she meant Shadow was always a robot, since Gerald made him)

When I first saw footage of Shadow with a gun on the G4 network, I thought it was a joke. Like a mode or something. But then the trailers came out and he looked so badass. I thought it was so cool that he was getting his own game. It was probably around this time (and Mario Bros Z) I knew he was my favorite character.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Put me down as a supporter for Shadow.

Even though Tails is my most wanted character by far, I'd also like to see Shadow as a playable character.

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
Put me down as a supporter too, I've always wanted shadow in smash bros!

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Source Gaming finally made a RTC for Shadow. I thought I'd share it here for you all to see.

Also, in regards to Shadow's popularity, I want to mention that he's also a heavily requested character in Japan at the moment. I've been watching lots of Japanese reactions towards the recent Smash Direct and a majority of the time when they reach the point where Sakurai says "We have two more echo fighters", a lot of Japanese fans go "Shadow?! Is it Shadow?!"

Some others notice how Knuckles is an Assist Trophy, so some were wondering if that implied Shadow was going to be a fighter too. So yea he's definitely a heavily requested fighter now. If by some chance he doesn't make it in the base roster then I feel like he's a lock for DLC.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Guys... I think shadow wont get in. I keep getting my hopes up but idk anymore. I really want him in the game but I have not seen any credible leakers leak him. I know that is horrible to base it on but I have not seen anything on him...

RC-3197

Smash Apprentice
Guys... I think shadow wont get in. I keep getting my hopes up but idk anymore. I really want him in the game but I have not seen any credible leakers leak him. I know that is horrible to base it on but I have not seen anything on him...
If it means anything to you, Loz18 a leaker with a great track record says that in his personal opinion he thinks that shadow will be an echo fighter, but that's just his opinion, not a leak

Here's the the thing, we have a really good stack of evidence pointing to his inclusion:
1. Shadow's Assist Trophy is Missing
2. Knuckles was deliberately shown 2 times
3. Shadow is more popular than knuckles
4. Shadow would be a pretty easy echo fighter and the smash bros team is perfectly capable of making echo fighters that fit the style of the character
5. Shadow was the first character you were able to play as besides classic / modern / wherehog sonic in a main sonic game in 12 years
6. 3rd party echo fighters are a thing thanks to Ritcher
7. Chrom has an up b from Ike
8. Dark samus is a floaty character in comparison to samus according to sakurai (this means shadow's physics could be different too)

Fear not my good friend, I think the best of times are ahead of us. Also watch that video above, it was very insightful.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Shadow's odds are still really good right now, better then they ever where in the past.

I just doubt that they only replaced his AT with Knuckles. It would just be odd to replace a character that has been in the past two games with another whose gimmick is less unique without a real reason. I've heard some suggest they could have just axed Shadow because the timer item is similar to him, but they have always been in the same game together so I don't buy that.

They have been showing off that Knuckles assist a lot, and they know that doing that would make people wonder where Shadow is. They also have no reason to take the time to create a replacement Sonic AT rep unless they are doing something else with the old one.

I agree with SonicMario that we should have some caution. But there are a lot of reasons to have faith that Shadow will be in the game.

SonicMario

Smash Master
5. Shadow was the first character you were able to play as besides classic / modern / wherehog sonic in a main sonic game in 12 years
Not to nitpick. But at the time Smash Ultimate was in development. Shadow was still in that limbo of having not been playable or even hardly appearing besides being an occasional boss in a main Sonic game since the infamous Sonic 06. The last main Sonic game being Sonic Lost World which had no Shadow whatsoever. Sonic Forces isn't exactly getting much representation since I doubt it's getting a stage at this point (I feel like we would of already seen it if it was). I do expect at least trophies to reference Sonic Forces. But other then that, Sonic Forces kind of came a little late to the party.

Granted it is possible at that point Sega knew Sakurai was putting Shadow in as an Echo FIghter and to cash in a little more on that put him in as a bonus character in Forces (But given he only got like 3 levels to himself and then is just an option to replay Modern Sonic levels with him, probably came a little late into development. It could also just as easily be just simple fanservice, and it did kind of actually have a bit of a prequel story to tell regarding Infinite.)

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
OP updated w supporter list.

To weigh in on Shadow in Limbo, the fact that he was not completely abandoned after Sonic 06 and the reset the franchise tried to pull is important. Shadow did appear as a boss in Generations and Boom, which shows Sega still has value for the character. Also he is popular so that helps. Like a lot.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I'm really hoping Shadow is slightly slower than Sonic for more knockback power.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I remember after the E3 presentation when Sakurai said there would be fewer newcomers, I had the pessimistic estimate that there were only 3 fighters left to reveal, and of those three, two would be echoes: K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Shadow.

Although I was incorrect on my estimate, two of my guesses ended up being accurate, so I'm confident that Shadow has made the cut given all he has going for him now! Clairvoyance you can trust!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I remember after the E3 presentation when Sakurai said there would be fewer newcomers, I had the pessimistic estimate that there were only 3 fighters left to reveal, and of those three, two would be echoes: K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Shadow.

Although I was incorrect on my estimate, two of my guesses ended up being accurate, so I'm confident that Shadow has made the cut given all he has going for him now! Clairvoyance you can trust!
When Sakurai said that, I think he means just Unique fighters. Personally, I see there being 4-6 more unique fighters and 4-6 more echos. Keep in mind this helps Shadow a lot.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
OP updated w supporter list.

To weigh in on Shadow in Limbo, the fact that he was not completely abandoned after Sonic 06 and the reset the franchise tried to pull is important. Shadow did appear as a boss in Generations and Boom, which shows Sega still has value for the character. Also he is popular so that helps. Like a lot.
He was also with sonic in the teaser for team sonic racing. He is on the box art for the game also. He is on the main loading screen for Sonic Forces speed battle and a super rare character to unlock. (Classic Sonic, Tails, Amy, Silver, Knuckles) are all commons to unlock. Sega still knows about his popularity. Its just that did Sega really wanna push it in 2015 knowing three years later they were pushing for shadow again. Who knows.

As for Tails, Amy, and Silver to be playable? Well, that seems more and more of a reach. At least we may still get trophies of them. And Tails and Silver are in Green Hill. So Sakurai knows how popular those two are.

When Sakurai said that, I think he means just Unique fighters. Personally, I see there being 4-6 more unique fighters and 4-6 more echos. Keep in mind this helps Shadow a lot.
That seems like a lot, but who knows. He did say this time they are going to announce all the characters before the game is out and December 6th is coming up. I never really followed the announcements of smash 4 so is there enough directs to announce them all in?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
He was also with sonic in the teaser for team sonic racing. He is on the box art for the game also.

That seems like a lot, but who knows. He did say this time they are going to announce all the characters before the game is out and December 6th is coming up. I never really followed the announcements of smash 4 so is there enough directs to announce them all in?
We are probs getting 1 more smash direct before launch at least. Probably would be longer, could reveal more echos. They need to go over the new mode and single player stuff.

Add in another 2 non smash directs and we could see a few more characters shown off. Also TGS and Gamescon are prime areas to reveal a character.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
We are probs getting 1 more smash direct before launch at least. Probably would be longer, could reveal more echos. They need to go over the new mode and single player stuff.

Add in another 2 non smash directs and we could see a few more characters shown off. Also TGS and Gamescon are prime areas to reveal a character.
Were there characters announced at gamescon and TGS? What about the others?

I guess I can use google, but feeling lazy.

D

Deleted member

I think Shadow is the most likely addition out of all the potential newcomers I'd like to see in Smash. Sonic's not even good enough to be his Echo.

zerkerxror

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-3830-6765
Switch FC
SW-7051-3659-4513
I personally always thought that if ANY character were to be added from this franchise it'd HAVE to be Shadow.
Now with Knuckles taking the spot of the assist trophy, has to mean something.
Like it was stated in the post that Shadow is very similar to Sonic beside his Chaos abilities, they both are the same height if we're talking about character models, they both share the spindash & homing attack as well.
He was also played an important part in the last game and had his own Episode DLC (Sonic Forces) + he also looked to be the featured character alongside Sonic in the new racing game.
He is simply the IDEAL echo fighter to be added IF they were to add one.
And if I'm the only one then so be it, but I'm willing to bet I'm not.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I personally always thought that if ANY character were to be added from this franchise it'd HAVE to be Shadow.
Now with Knuckles taking the spot of the assist trophy, has to mean something.
Like it was stated in the post that Shadow is very similar to Sonic beside his Chaos abilities, they both are the same height if we're talking about character models, they both share the spindash & homing attack as well.
He was also played an important part in the last game and had his own Episode DLC (Sonic Forces) + he also looked to be the featured character alongside Sonic in the new racing game.
He is simply the IDEAL echo fighter to be added IF they were to add one.
And if I'm the only one then so be it, but I'm willing to bet I'm not.
I still think that if any character were next if we disregard the "easier to make an echo" it'd be Tails since they're such an iconic video game duo on nearly the same level Mario and Luigi are. (I could die happy having seen Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails in an official Smash Bros. game)

But I do admit that the existence of Echo fighters just raises Shadow's chances more since yeah, he's easier to echo. Tails could be an echo as well if they decided to have him similar to Sonic and just add say something like Peach's float to the moveset and change some of the animations that required the quills like the up-throw into them throwing them into his spinning tails. But that arguably still makes him a harder fit as an echo as that might still be a little more extra work then an echo should have. Chrom showed they can have more differences then we think but all the Fire Emblem characters are human with similar body types after all. Tails has more variety in his design compared to Sonic then Shadow does.

Tails being my most wanted, I'll be sad if Knuckles got the upgrade to AT, Shadow's an Echo in the base game. But Tails is still only in Green Hill Zone's loop and the Mii Costume. Though I suppose I'd drag all my hopes into potential DLC. And with that scenario Shadow already being Sonic's echo, Tails would even be at least a good amount more unique which would be perfect to me. But I admit there's a big part of me that'd be scared that they literally do nothing else for Tails because we don't know where DLC will go this game and may prefer to go after Switch-era first parties, and for 3rd parties from companies not already in the game.

This is actually kind of why I hope Shadow's not in the base game. So maybe there's hope for say... Character packs. And we can get Tails and an echo fighter Shadow in one fell swoop (Hell I'd even take the vice versa of that even if it may annoy me they made Shadow more unique then Tails. But I'd take it all the same). I can tolerate an echo Shadow even if Tails doesn't make it, but I'd warm up to Shadow much faster if Tails makes it too.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I think it's unlikely that they will do character packs.

If Shadow is not in the base game then him and Tails would probably still be competing for that spot.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
I think it's unlikely that they will do character packs.

If Shadow is not in the base game then him and Tails would probably still be competing for that spot.
Maybe this game is different with the Smash Bros X Series.

Who Knows maybe Smash Bros X Series will bring us 2 characters.

Then the argument is if Sonic got 2 then others get 2 and then their is a rabbit while effect.

There is four Sonic characters I want and I know I would be lucky to get to two.

I guess we will have to wait and see... I hate waiting.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I still think that if any character were next if we disregard the "easier to make an echo" it'd be Tails since they're such an iconic video game duo on nearly the same level Mario and Luigi are. (I could die happy having seen Mario & Luigi Vs. Sonic & Tails in an official Smash Bros. game)

But I do admit that the existence of Echo fighters just raises Shadow's chances more since yeah, he's easier to echo. Tails could be an echo as well if they decided to have him similar to Sonic and just add say something like Peach's float to the moveset and change some of the animations that required the quills like the up-throw into them throwing them into his spinning tails. But that arguably still makes him a harder fit as an echo as that might still be a little more extra work then an echo should have. Chrom showed they can have more differences then we think but all the Fire Emblem characters are human with similar body types after all. Tails has more variety in his design compared to Sonic then Shadow does.

Tails being my most wanted, I'll be sad if Knuckles got the upgrade to AT, Shadow's an Echo in the base game. But Tails is still only in Green Hill Zone's loop and the Mii Costume. Though I suppose I'd drag all my hopes into potential DLC. And with that scenario Shadow already being Sonic's echo, Tails would even be at least a good amount more unique which would be perfect to me. But I admit there's a big part of me that'd be scared that they literally do nothing else for Tails because we don't know where DLC will go this game and may prefer to go after Switch-era first parties, and for 3rd parties from companies not already in the game.

This is actually kind of why I hope Shadow's not in the base game. So maybe there's hope for say... Character packs. And we can get Tails and an echo fighter Shadow in one fell swoop (Hell I'd even take the vice versa of that even if it may annoy me they made Shadow more unique then Tails. But I'd take it all the same). I can tolerate an echo Shadow even if Tails doesn't make it, but I'd warm up to Shadow much faster if Tails makes it too.
Honestly, if echoes didn't exist, I would think we would get a Sega character from another franchise before a 2nd Sonic rep.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
True. But i meant for a 3rd Sega character. Before Echoes, if think we'd someone from Puyo Puyo or Yakuza or something from Altus like Persona 4 before a 2nd Sonic rep.
I'm not too surprised we'd get a Sonic character down the line(though we don't know for sure if we will), but you weren't that clear, heh.

Anyway, I just would rather not have Super Shadow as a Final Smash. I want a bit more variety than that.

D

Deleted member

Posting in here again to reaffirm my support for Shadow.

Also I wanted an excuse to post this gif I just found.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, I just would rather not have Super Shadow as a Final Smash. I want a bit more variety than that.
I still want to see Super Shadow but I don't want him to just dash into people like Sonic.

Whether it's a AOE Chaos Blast, a Witch Time like Choas Control, raining down some Choas Spears, or whatever. I just want him to still turn Super as he does it.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
We did. She's called Bayonetta.
I see her as more of a Platinum Games character, Sega may own the Publishing rights, but they seem to have as much power as Nintendo right now, and Platinum is the company that created her. P,atinum games also isn’t owned by anyone, so their character is their character in my mind, even if someone else has publishing rights. I think of her like a Spider-Man situation, sure Spider-Man is owned by Disney, but I still associate him more with Marvel.

True. But i meant for a 3rd Sega character. Before Echoes, if think we'd someone from Puyo Puyo or Yakuza or something from Altus like Persona 4 before a 2nd Sonic rep.
Most likely we’d get a Persona character because that franchise is huge for Sega. Even if you consider Bayo as a Sega rep, I think Sega is more than deserving of a 3rd rep at this point as they’ve been the most consistent when it comes to supporting Smash and Nintendo.

Nah Man, it’d be Eggman. He’s been a part of Sonic since the beginning and he can add to the classic villains roster in Smash. As cool as a it’d be to see Tails and Luigi in Smash, something about Bowser and Eggman is just all around a more appealing combo to me.

Top Bottom