• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Eh, figured we may as well make a tradition out of it.

Shadow hasn’t been in the proper limelight in ages either (besides Forces), might be a good refresher.
He was in Sega’s Racing titles, and Boom (both game and tv show). Plus he was in Generations, the Sonic mobile titles, was an assist in Smash, was playable in the Olympics titles, and was a prominent face in the LEGO Dimension’s Story pack. Literally the only Sonic titles he missed were Mania and Lost World between Generations and Forces.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
He was in Sega’s Racing titles, and Boom (both game and tv show). Plus he was in Generations, the Sonic mobile titles, was an assist in Smash, was playable in the Olympics titles, and was a prominent face in the LEGO Dimension’s Story pack. Literally the only Sonic titles he missed were Mania and Lost World between Generations and Forces.
Sure, but I’m not so sure the casual fan is familiar with all of those things or where he came from.

SonicMario

Smash Master
In terms of non-Spinoff games. Shadow had not been playable in a mainline Sonic since the infamous Sonic 06. While yes he certainly had major appearances in between especially as a boss in Generations.

Though everyone took a back seat to Sonic and Eggman for the longest time. Though Tails at least managed to stay in at least a supporting character role for much of it. Not on Sonic's level of course but probably more then most Sonic characters were getting. Cause Sega overreacted hard to Sonic 06's reception (A reception that was deserved mind you but Sega trying to dig out of the big hole that game left this franchise in has held the series back and in some ways still currently is) and tried their best at damage control by keeping things simple with only Sonic playable in mainline games.

Though even Shadow's role in Forces is kinda minor besides story-wise. It's only 3 bonus levels and then you have the option to go to any modern sonic level to play as Shadow.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
If Shadow gets confirmed I’ll do a “Who is” article for him too
Honestly, I think this is a nice idea. Sure, most people are familiar with Shadow, but this still sounds like it'd be a fun read. It's always nice to read about a characters origin even if you're already familiar with said character. There's definitely no harm in this, so I'd say go for it.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Yeah I guess I wasn't expecting the pushback at the suggestion, I just wanted to do a piece because i'd be excited at his inclusion :/

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Which is a perfectly good reason. You should totally make the article. It's all in good fun, honestly. Like I said earlier, there's no harm in it. Once Shadow comes in we're all going to party like it's 2001! If you're excitement leads you to wanting to focus on his origins then I say you should totally go for it. You definitely have my support.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
That could be cool, but I don’t know if Sakurai would do it. So far, all the new stages seem very tame. People complained about Bosses and characters like the Flying man heavily, so I don’t think he’s going to make a stage that has the central mechanic be an annoying boss character.

I think the stage will have Infinite, but to a less annoying scale, like him bending reality to mess with the stage like Metropolis. Maybe a floating Infinite head will appear as a platform, or some of the rings of red squares can circle around parts of the stage like in Infinite’s boss fight.
I meant for them to be more like stage assists (like the summons on Midgar). Showing up briefly to do a action or attack then leaving.

I defiantly don't want another stage with an enemy/hazzard you have to kill to get rid of.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I never played sonic games, but i watched super mario bros z back in the days... unfortunately the series got cancelled. Either way i really hope shadow will be in smash5!

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I loved Mario Bros Z. One of the first pictures I saved in Brawl was a shot of Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Shadow's trophies posing together in space.:laugh:

Heres hoping we can get the full main cast.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I loved Mario Bros Z. One of the first pictures I saved in Brawl was a shot of Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Shadow's trophies posing together in space.:laugh:

Heres hoping we can get the full main cast.
Just have them fight 4 Squirtles for a certain early fight reference too.

_Noz_

Smash Rookie
Please don't post random stuff and try to contribute to the topic on hand.
cream for sb5

Arkaizer

Smash Apprentice
Anyways so what do people want to see Shadow have different from Sonic, since Chrom established they don't have to be an exact 1 to 1
The most I'm expecting is retooling Mewtwo's teleport into his up B, but if they want to get really wacky they could also reskin Bayonetta's Witch Time into Chaos Control for a down B since Shadow never had a classic-style spindash (Though the idea of sonic having witch time legitimately terrifies me)

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool if his roll dodge he can teleport. Mewtwo's up B.

When he taunts I want him to hold a chaos emerald and say "Chaos control".

I do want him to have homing attacks and spin dash though.

And he better skate over run.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'll bring the cheese.

Anyways so what do people want to see Shadow have different from Sonic, since Chrom established they don't have to be an exact 1 to 1
I want to see Chaos Spear in some form, a unique Final Smash, Chaos aesthetics for his attacks, or at least more karate chops than punches, and his rocket shoes for moving around. Maybe make it so he has trouble stopping on a dime too like in Sonic Battle, or basically like Luigi is. I imagine his Wavelanding would make it hard for him to stop too.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I expect his running and idle animations to change to fit his personality at bare minimum. (Taunts and victory animations are also a given)

But I'm hoping that at least one of his B moves and/or his Final Smash change to somthing to represent his choas powers. It would be a shame if he didn't get to use his signature Choas Control somewhere.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
I'll bring the cheese.

The only move that Chrom has that's unique from Roy is his Up B, so I'm not expecting any more than 1 new move, if any at all. An Up B teleport like Mewtwo's sounds suitable since it's a signature technique for Shadow, and I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. If he DOES get more than one new move, then I'm more partial to his Side B being a Chaos Spear like Lucas's PK Fire (A character as fast as Sonic with Witch Time sounds scary...), though I'm unsure of how easy that would be to do.

Otherwise I would imagine all of his kicking moves having a fire based sweetspot and maybe electrical effects for a few other moves like the neutral and forward air.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The only move that Chrom has that's unique from Roy is his Up B, so I'm not expecting any more than 1 new move, if any at all. An Up B teleport like Mewtwo's sounds suitable since it's a signature technique for Shadow, and I would imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. If he DOES get more than one new move, then I'm more partial to his Side B being a Chaos Spear like Lucas's PK Fire (A character as fast as Sonic with Witch Time sounds scary...), though I'm unsure of how easy that would be to do.

Otherwise I would imagine all of his kicking moves having a fire based sweetspot and maybe electrical effects for a few other moves like the neutral and forward air.
His Ftilt is also uniquely animated from Roy, and uses the full blade instead of focusing on the hilt. (As well as Aether starting differently than Ike's)

And yeah I'd rather not have more than one ***** Time user running around.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Everybody’s talking about Simon and the Captain N reunion. If Shadow gets in I wanna see Team Captain N vs Team Super Mario Bros Z

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
To be more specific about things I have said I would like to see.
  • Reskining the spring to look like the rusted ones from his game or Mewtwo's up B teleport
  • Chaos Spear side B (similar to PK Fire)
  • Fire damage added to some kick attacks
  • Chaos Blast Final Smash (still turning into Super Shadow)

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
His Ftilt is also uniquely animated from Roy, and uses the full blade instead of focusing on the hilt. (As well as Aether starting differently than Ike's)

And yeah I'd rather not have more than one ***** Time user running around.
Yeah I know, by "only one move that's unique from Roy" I didn't mean that the Up B was the only difference that Chrom had, just that he only had one attack that was completely different from Roy's, since his FTilt and Jab are still functionally the same moves despite the different animations (And the consistent blade damage is sort of a given considering Lucina).

I figured that giving an Echo a totally new move is a fair bit more work than altering animations for the same attack or changing damage values along a blade, so that's why I don't see Shadow having more than one completely unique move from Sonic ala Teleport or Chaos Spear. But hey, I didn't think Echoes would have ANY completely unique moves until Chrom came along, so who knows? I'd be glad to be wrong.

Speaking of alternate animations, it's kind of a shame that Sonic doesn't have any moves that could reasonably have their animations altered to be a karate chop (The closest thing would be his jab, but I don't think it would work...). The karate chop sorta feels like a staple Shadow move y'know? It would be hilarious if his down throw could have been him karate chopping his opponent on the floor in the same way he killed Eggman in some of the ShtH endings. Ah well.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah I know, by "only one move that's unique from Roy" I didn't mean that the Up B was the only difference that Chrom had, just that he only had one attack that was completely different from Roy's, since his FTilt and Jab are still functionally the same moves despite the different animations (And the consistent blade damage is sort of a given considering Lucina).

I figured that giving an Echo a totally new move is a fair bit more work than altering animations for the same attack or changing damage values along a blade, so that's why I don't see Shadow having more than one completely unique move from Sonic ala Teleport or Chaos Spear. But hey, I didn't think Echoes would have ANY completely unique moves until Chrom came along, so who knows? I'd be glad to be wrong.

Speaking of alternate animations, it's kind of a shame that Sonic doesn't have any moves that could reasonably have their animations altered to be a karate chop (The closest thing would be his jab, but I don't think it would work...). The karate chop sorta feels like a staple Shadow move y'know? It would be hilarious if his down throw could have been him karate chopping his opponent on the floor in the same way he killed Eggman in some of the ShtH endings. Ah well.
Well, Luigi's Forward Smash was turned from a wind-up punch to a literal karate chop jab. So that could still work. Maybe not perfectly, though. He also regular kicks and punches in Sonic X like Sonic does, so at least those aren't completely weird.

I'd say the only one that feels really off is his Down Tilt. Maybe that could have a unique animation to something like lower spin kick(like the trip kick in Mortal Kombat) or something.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

I misread you oops.

If he has the Karate Chop I will lovingly refer to it as the "Goodbye Doctor"

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
While I like to see Tail or Robotnik in first, I would really like to see Shadow playable in Ultimate. Sonic is guaranteed to have a least one newcomer, maybe even two thanks to Castlevania who has two reps in with Simon and Richter. I support

Last edited:

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
So far, the only thing we know that echoes always have the same are parameters (weight, speed, etc).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
While I like to see Tail or Robotnik in first, I would really like to see Shadow playable in Ultimate. Sonic is guaranteed to have a least one newcomer, maybe even two thanks to Castlevania who has two reps in with Simon and Richter. I support
I don't see Sonic getting 2, and if Sega got someone instead of or besides Shadow it'd likely be from the Atlus side of things.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I don't see Sonic getting 2, and if Sega got someone instead of or besides Shadow it'd likely be from the Atlus side of things.
Very true, it could be like Konami who has character from two from their series in Snake and Simon/Richter. It would be great if Sonic could get two newcomers, but I'm expecting one as this point. I mean, who knows, anything can happen.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Very true, it could be like Konami who has character from two from their series in Snake and Simon/Richter. It would be great if Sonic could get two newcomers, but I'm expecting one as this point. I mean, who knows, anything can happen.
True I shouldn't say anything with finality, Sakurai is one to destroy expectations usually with even more hype haha.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah! I would support multiple sonic newcomers! But no more than 4 or 5. I still want my waluigi and chibi-robo also!

YoYoFantaFanta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yoyofantafanta
3DS FC
4914-3889-8963
I don't care if he's in as an echo or as a semi-clone, I want to see Shadow in Smash Bros. I want to see more Sonic representation.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I'd love to see Shadow get Chaos Blast! as his final smash, and which song should be used in his reveal trailer? I Am....All Of Me or All Hail Shadow?

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I'd love to see Shadow get Chaos Blast! as his final smash, and which song should be used in his reveal trailer? I Am....All Of Me or All Hail Shadow?
Honestly, I don't care for either track, but All of Me flows better and is less oblique. I'd prefer the track from Radical Highway, as that's the first level Shadow is ever playable in.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
While it'd be cool if Shadow had different B moves from Sonic, don't expect them to go too crazy with them.

The pessimist in me says that Sakurai doesn't really care much for Sonic at all, so I really don't see this series getting the same treatment that Castlevania gets.
Despite this, I'm positive Shadow will make it on the roster.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I actually think it’d be a great time to finally reprise “Throw it All Away”

Maybe even For True Story if the segment had him facing off with Sonic.

Top Bottom