• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Life Form ~ Shadow the Hedgehog for Smash Ultimate! (Maria...)

Saiko18

Smash Rookie
Hi all,

I truly believe that the Sonic series deserves another rep in Smash Bros. Now is the perfect time to have Shadow join! Please add me to the support list.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Shadow would be neat as a full character, but considering he was created as a foil of Sonic, shares much of the same abilities as Sonic (even having near identical boss fights in SA2), is mistaken for Sonic in his debut, and his own name is a reference to the fact he's a dark mirror of the Blue Blur, I would be astonished if he wasn't an Echo.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dude, they made Richter Belmont. The most popular Belmont in Japan, an echo of Simon.

They aren't going make that special of an exception for Shadow.
There is a huge difference between the popularity and iconic status of Richter and Shadow, though.

That doesn’t mean Shadow will be anything but an Echo, but let’s not act as if Richter is the be-all-end-all.

Redbane

Smash Cadet
Shadow feels like a "When" and not an "If" at this point.
Same, it feels like a Lot of the Content creators and Players were funny enough expecting him in the 8.8 Direct instead of Dark Samus. Anyways keeping thing simple I also Agree With Down-B Bing Chaos Control(Witch Time) and Up-B being a teleport. But I like thinking outside the box, So I Thought of a Really cool Special Move set. ( Yes I know this Won't Happen, but still fun to theorize)

Neutral B - Normal Homing Attack

Side B- Chaos Spear( Shiek Smash 4 Paralyzing Needle Custom(Less end lag though )

Up B - generic Teleport(MewTwo)'

Down B - Chaos Control(Which Time)

And Then All of Sonic's Attack but with slight changes in Animation. I think this would be really nice, he would feel slightly slower then normal Sonic as he doesn't have SD or SC, but he would feel more Varied in the types of attacks he can do. I digress Obviously it won't happen as this would make him more of a Semi-Clone like Doc rather than an echo.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Uh... Why do you feel this?

If Sakurai disliked Sonic, he wouldn't have delayed Brawl's release practically just to get him in the game.

He was also in the original project plan for Brawl, but Sega at first said no, but later changed their minds at the last minute. Which is why much of Sonic's content in Brawl may have felt rushed.

Sakurai also put much emphasis back in Smash 4 when they got Megaman, Pac-Man, and Sonic together that in a pic of the day of them together with Mario he said this "This is quite a line-up of characters for the gaming world. I mean, it's amazing enough that Mario can fight Pikachu. I hope you enjoy this truly unique celebration!!" So he still considers Sonic amongst the iconic gaming characters after all.
Again it might be bad interpretation, but I really feel that Sonic does not get that much love, appreciation and attention put into him as opposed to the other third parties, which really hurts me.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
^ Which is ironic since the Brawl days, people were excited to see Sonic in Smash Bros. in the first place, I mean, come on.

Shadow might not get that much of a similar reaction but oh well, even if that makes salt, we all supporters will welcome him in the series with open arms. I sure am.

:bowser:.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I was biding my time with this with knuckles

But richter belmont and chrom may have definitely given me the trust I need I'm 99% convinced he's promoted to echo fighter

Count me in for support

Kulty

Smash Ace
Same. I would be happy if Shadow makes it in as an Echo at this point. Just wishes he uses Chaos Powers, but at the minimum, just tweak some normals along with changing one of the Spin Dashes and give him teleport as recovery.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I understand that Chaos Powers are sort of a defining characteristic of Shadow, but is he capable of using them even without the Emeralds? Sonic was just as capable of using Chaos Control in SA2, and I haven't played many Sonic games featuring Shadow past that. I guess Shadow does use Chaos Powers a lot in Shadow the Hedgehog, but I don't recall those being Emerald independent.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I understand that Chaos Powers are sort of a defining characteristic of Shadow, but is he capable of using them even without the Emeralds? Sonic was just as capable of using Chaos Control in SA2, and I haven't played many Sonic games featuring Shadow past that. I guess Shadow does use Chaos Powers a lot in Shadow the Hedgehog, but I don't recall those being Emerald independent.
In Shadow the Hedgehog you find the green emerald right at the start of the first level. And in Sonic Heroes he just automatically has it on him when you do the team attack.

Sonic Network says he can tap into the energy of any nearby Choas Emerald. So he does appear to need to at least be near one use his chaos powers.

Other characters like Sonic or Sliver have been able to use the Chaos Control, but think the reason Shadow knows how to do more with their energy is because of how Gerald designed him (he knew quite a bit about the old echidnas, Chaos, and the emeralds) and Black Doom's DNA (he can also use Chaos Control)

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
What do you guys think Shadow's Final Smash is going to be?

I think it will be Shadow going into Super Shadow and using Chaos Blast to finish the opponent off.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
In Shadow the Hedgehog you find the green emerald right at the start of the first level. And in Sonic Heroes he just automatically has it on him when you do the team attack.

Sonic Network says he can tap into the energy of any nearby Choas Emerald. So he does appear to need to at least be near one use his chaos powers.

Other characters like Sonic or Sliver have been able to use the Chaos Control, but think the reason Shadow knows how to do more with their energy is because of how Gerald designed him (he knew quite a bit about the old echidnas, Chaos, and the emeralds) and Black Doom's DNA (he can also use Chaos Control)
Thanks for the info. I guess it might as well be that Shadow has a Chaos Emerald on him as a fighter.
After mulling it over, I've quite warmed up to Shadow, enough to say I legitimately want him in the game. Then again, I think he's almost confirmed for playability as it stands, but y'know what can you do.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
What do you guys think Shadow's Final Smash is going to be?

I think it will be Shadow going into Super Shadow and using Chaos Blast to finish the opponent off.
Super Shadow is a must, it has to be. In the way that he uses that transformation, I'm not sure if he is going to just to knock people multiple times like Sonic's but I am more sure that he will do a semblance of it and then finish of with a chaos-based attack.

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Having Super Shadow use Chaos Blast for a Final Smash would be a neat callback to the final boss of Shadow the Hedgehog I think.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Super Shadow is a must, it has to be. In the way that he uses that transformation, I'm not sure if he is going to just to knock people multiple times like Sonic's but I am more sure that he will do a semblance of it and then finish of with a chaos-based attack.

Something akin to this:

Shadow turns Super Shadow and goes in a straight line. Those hit will be sent in the air. Then a cutscene happens where Shadow strikes then multiple times at high speed. After that, Shadow flies to the middle and unleashes a powerful Chaos Blast.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Dude, they made Richter Belmont. The most popular Belmont in Japan, an echo of Simon.

They aren't going make that special of an exception for Shadow.
that's the thing though, Richter is not just echoing Simon, Simon is also echoing Richter too. That's why Sakurai said "Who's echoing who"

They both are feeding off each other, it's not the same as if they just put in Shadow as an echo

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Something akin to this:

Shadow turns Super Shadow and goes in a straight line. Those hit will be sent in the air. Then a cutscene happens where Shadow strikes then multiple times at high speed. After that, Shadow flies to the middle and unleashes a powerful Chaos Blast.
Pretty much, yeah. That is what I think he could do.

Or unless Sakurai and the dev team decide to go the opposite and go for only an attack that goes straight for the kill like Marth's and Dark Pit's which while cool, I feel like for Shadow he needs a more overwhelming attack like what you mentioned.

Starting with a phrase like: "Get ready~!" or "Let Me Show You My Real Power~!" like with SA2B for example.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
that's the thing though, Richter is not just echoing Simon, Simon is also echoing Richter too. That's why Sakurai said "Who's echoing who"

They both are feeding off each other, it's not the same as if they just put in Shadow as an echo
Chrom shows us Shadow could have a different move or so from Sonic. He could theoretically take Mewtwos teleport for Chaos Control or a number of little touches.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Chrom shows us Shadow could have a different move or so from Sonic. He could theoretically take Mewtwos teleport for Chaos Control or a number of little touches.
This is why I think Shadow is almost guaranteed to be in the game. Richter and Chrom are basically the two characters that prove a Shadow Echo is completely feasible. Richter being an Echo of a 3rd party and the second representative of a 3rd party while Chrom can have his own move or another move despite being an echo of a fighter (Roy with Ike Aether).

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This is why I think Shadow is almost guaranteed to be in the game. Richter and Chrom are basically the two characters that prove a Shadow Echo is completely feasible. Richter being an Echo of a 3rd party and the second representative of a 3rd party while Chrom can have his own move or another move despite being an echo of a fighter (Roy with Ike Aether).
Yep, Richter and Chrom only solidified my expectation and hope for Shadow. And I like both of them to boot (especially Richter my unexpected super hype bonus of this game).

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Add me to that list!! I’ve been wanting Shadow since Smash 4. Back then him being in wasn’t as popular of an opinion as it is now! THIS IS THE ULTIMATE

Last edited:

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Shadow is a character who, despite memes and his unique reputation among not just the Sonic fans but the video game community as a whole, has always had a soft spot in my heart. He was one of my favorites of all time as a kid, seeing him on Sonic X and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle cemented in me a love for the little edgelord. I mean, I don't even think he's that edgy outside of his own game, even. I've always defended his character development outside a few stinkers. Shadow is probably the only remaining feasible character who holds such a special place with me, so I ABSOLUTELY hope he makes it in, even as an echo.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Which Sonic character should we support once Shadow is added? And also I hope we receive a new Sonic stage, if not in the base game, then as DLC!

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Which Sonic character should we support once Shadow is added? And also I hope we receive a new Sonic stage, if not in the base game, then as DLC!
Dr. Eggman. I don't care if it's unrealistic, he's perfect for this game.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Tails please.

If Shadow's in. Shadow and Knuckles all got upgrades from their Brawl/Smash 4 roles while Tails who got a Mii costume and everything. Is left in the same position he was in Smash 4. Tails should be on equal level with those two. I'd even take a Tails assist trophy if I must.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Me before E3: "Pfft, no way they add Shadow in the game. Third-parties will only get one rep, and that's final."

Me after E3: "Shadow's Assist Trophy is missing! They could maybe make him an Echo Fighter!"

Me after the last Direct: "Shadow when?"

As the days go by I'm wanting this character more and more. I grew up with Sonic Adventure 2, and never knew how much I wanted him until the past two Directs. Give him a Teleport recovery instead of a spring and it's a done deal in my book. Richter's existence made his chances go way up. I think the only way he doesn't get in is if they decide to make Tails the Sonic echo instead, but Shadow makes so much more sense to me.

I mean the boy even says "This is the ultimate!"

Feel free to add me to the support list.

Last edited:

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
Another supporter update

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
  1. TCT~Phantom
  2. ThoughtfulWanderer
  3. smash puffle
  4. Wonks
  5. NIckynickReviews
  6. Travix Man
  7. SonicMario
  8. AustarusIV
  9. SegaNintendoUbisoft
  10. Sean Wheeler
  11. dangeraaron10
  12. majorasmaskfan
  13. slambros
  14. SmashChu
  15. Geoffrey Druyts
  16. Mogu
  17. ZTurtle
  18. GM_3826
  19. KMDP
  20. 7NATOR
  21. Camc10
  22. violetsmashfan
  23. 92MilesPrower
  24. DarkFoxTeam
  25. Tornado_Man
  26. hermes
  27. Mikegamer0608
  28. Chocolatgelato
  29. Sirfishe
  30. SHSL Jedi
  31. GoldenYuiitusin
  32. VexTheHex
  33. AreJay25
  34. putuk
  35. TerminatorLOL
  36. Pinkanator
  37. Klimax
  38. BluePikmin11
  39. Tikivoy
  40. UltraMadman
  41. Arthur97
  42. IanTheGamer
  43. StormC
  44. The Legendary Beast
  45. Takasmash
  46. TMNTSSB4
  47. SchAlternate
  48. Mikegamer0608
  49. Mastermiine
  50. P.Kat
  51. Erotic&Heretic
  52. Dixie Kong
  53. Houndstooth
  54. Troykv
  55. vVv Rapture
  56. SEGAGameBoy
  57. SuperNintendoKid
  58. ZagarTulip
  59. zeldasmash
  60. ShadowTheHedgehogZ
  61. Dragoncharystary
  62. JesseMcCloud
  63. Legendary Spirit Tamer
  64. FooltheFlames
  65. Arkaizer
  66. MainJPW
  67. smashingDoug
  68. Dee Dude
  69. CrusherMania1592
  70. Sølid
  71. ShortcutButton
  72. kylexv
  73. Giga Kaiju
  74. TheFVGuy
  75. Shiny Porygon
  76. LeeSmash4Me
  77. magiciandude
  78. The King of Skulls
  79. MonkeyDLenny
  80. xNaz
  81. grizby2
  82. Saiko18
  83. Smashoperatingbuddy123
  84. Xenorange

I'm not really pulling for any other Sonic characters besides Shadow, but Tails would be the next obvious choice.

And maybe Eggman as a boss fight, like Dracula and Rathalos.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
My choice would be Silver the Hedgehog so we can have all 3!

Another supporter update

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
  1. TCT~Phantom
  2. ThoughtfulWanderer
  3. smash puffle
  4. Wonks
  5. NIckynickReviews
  6. Travix Man
  7. SonicMario
  8. AustarusIV
  9. SegaNintendoUbisoft
  10. Sean Wheeler
  11. dangeraaron10
  12. majorasmaskfan
  13. slambros
  14. SmashChu
  15. Geoffrey Druyts
  16. Mogu
  17. ZTurtle
  18. GM_3826
  19. KMDP
  20. 7NATOR
  21. Camc10
  22. violetsmashfan
  23. 92MilesPrower
  24. DarkFoxTeam
  25. Tornado_Man
  26. hermes
  27. Mikegamer0608
  28. Chocolatgelato
  29. Sirfishe
  30. SHSL Jedi
  31. GoldenYuiitusin
  32. VexTheHex
  33. AreJay25
  34. putuk
  35. TerminatorLOL
  36. Pinkanator
  37. Klimax
  38. BluePikmin11
  39. Tikivoy
  40. UltraMadman
  41. Arthur97
  42. IanTheGamer
  43. StormC
  44. The Legendary Beast
  45. Takasmash
  46. TMNTSSB4
  47. SchAlternate
  48. Mikegamer0608
  49. Mastermiine
  50. P.Kat
  51. Erotic&Heretic
  52. Dixie Kong
  53. Houndstooth
  54. Troykv
  55. vVv Rapture
  56. SEGAGameBoy
  57. SuperNintendoKid
  58. ZagarTulip
  59. zeldasmash
  60. ShadowTheHedgehogZ
  61. Dragoncharystary
  62. JesseMcCloud
  63. Legendary Spirit Tamer
  64. FooltheFlames
  65. Arkaizer
  66. MainJPW
  67. smashingDoug
  68. Dee Dude
  69. CrusherMania1592
  70. Sølid
  71. ShortcutButton
  72. kylexv
  73. Giga Kaiju
  74. TheFVGuy
  75. Shiny Porygon
  76. LeeSmash4Me
  77. magiciandude
  78. The King of Skulls
  79. MonkeyDLenny
  80. xNaz
  81. grizby2
  82. Saiko18
  83. Smashoperatingbuddy123
  84. Xenorange

I'm not really pulling for any other Sonic characters besides Shadow, but Tails would be the next obvious choice.

And maybe Eggman as a boss fight, like Dracula and Rathalos.
It would be cool to see a stage with all these guys as random boss battles.

Attachments

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
It would be cool to see a stage with all these guys as random boss battles.
I'm honestly hoping that blurred green icon in the direct is some kind of adventure mode, so that the boss fights can be more like Brawl.

Making them glorified stage hazzards like Ridley and Yellow Devil in 4 can just make people not even want to touch the stage thier on.

I just want the boss, not the boss and the people I'm actually supposed to fight.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Again it might be bad interpretation, but I really feel that Sonic does not get that much love, appreciation and attention put into him as opposed to the other third parties, which really hurts me.
Sonic has gotten a new stage per Smash entry, they seem to care about the blue blur quite a bit, it’s just a lack of development time that hurt Sonic in Brawl and that’s on Sega not the Smash Team. They couldn’t really get good remixes and really define his Moveset in the time Sega gave them before Brawl’s release.

Actually, this is a good topic, do you guys believe Forces will get a stage? Sonic has gotten a new one every Smash entry he’s in, so I could totally see Forces’s destroyed city as a new stage. It could also be Shadow’s home stage for the Challenger Approaching fight.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic has gotten a new stage per Smash entry, they seem to care about the blue blur quite a bit, it’s just a lack of development time that hurt Sonic in Brawl and that’s on Sega not the Smash Team. They couldn’t really get good remixes and really define his Moveset in the time Sega gave them before Brawl’s release.

Actually, this is a good topic, do you guys believe Forces will get a stage? Sonic has gotten a new one every Smash entry he’s in, so I could totally see Forces’s destroyed city as a new stage. It could also be Shadow’s home stage for the Challenger Approaching fight.
I don't think Sonic's getting a 3rd stage. At least not base-game wise. Sakurai seemed to put special emphasis on the 103 stages in the game. And even if there ARE more stages in the base game coming, I'm assuming that's because they're tied to newcomers. Newcomers from series not represented in the character roster.

I think we would of already seen if Sonic has a new stage in the short bit we got of Sonic in the Everyone Is Here trailer as well as his character trailer/screenshots on the website.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman

Ok what if sort of like Mastermiine has been suggesting. They could have Infinite there making his clones of the villains to attack the players.

But kinda like Midgar he leaves a item, like his red polygons, to collect first. Who ever gets that item first gets a clone to fight for them.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Yeah if Forces got a stage it’d likely be Sunset Heights.

BCEC24EC-21FB-4391-948F-BE83C45CC967.jpeg

If Mania got something it’d likely be Studiopolis.

SonicMario

Smash Master
If Sonic got a 3rd stage it'd probably determine which is the 2nd Sonic rep. If it was from Forces, Shadow. If it was from Mania, Tails.

At the time they're developing any new stages, Sega would probably be pushing Forces so a Forces stage would be more likely. But it doesn't look like either Forces or Mania are getting stages this game. It's most likely going to be just both the returning stages of Green Hill Zone and Windy Hill.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Ok what if sort of like Mastermiine has been suggesting. They could have Infinite there making his clones of the villains to attack the players.

But kinda like Midgar he leaves a item, like his red polygons, to collect first. Who ever gets that item first gets a clone to fight for them.
That could be cool, but I don’t know if Sakurai would do it. So far, all the new stages seem very tame. People complained about Bosses and characters like the Flying man heavily, so I don’t think he’s going to make a stage that has the central mechanic be an annoying boss character.

I think the stage will have Infinite, but to a less annoying scale, like him bending reality to mess with the stage like Metropolis. Maybe a floating Infinite head will appear as a platform, or some of the rings of red squares can circle around parts of the stage like in Infinite’s boss fight.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention the fact Dark Samus becoming a playable echo means that some Missing ATs might be making it to a playable state.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

If Shadow gets confirmed I’ll do a “Who is” article for him too
I don't think that's necessary.

A lot more people are more familar with Sonic than Castlevania, and Shadow is one of the most prominent characters in the Sonic series.

Sure, not everyone will know the details of Shadow's origin Story, but at the very least they know he exists.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I don't think that's necessary.

A lot more people are more familar with Sonic than Castlevania, and Shadow is one of the most prominent characters in the Sonic series.

Sure, not everyone will know the details of Shadow's origin Story, but at the very least they know he exists.
Eh, figured we may as well make a tradition out of it.

Shadow hasn’t been in the proper limelight in ages either (besides Forces), might be a good refresher.

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
If Shadow is an echo fighter I can see him using teleport instead of homing attack and his up special as well. I hope they change at least his smashes to chaos attacks

Top Bottom