• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm a Dixie Kong supporter, more than K. Rool even. And I was extremely let down and shocked that she wasn't in Smash 4, not only because Tropical Freeze made her relevant again, but also because she was planned for Brawl at one point, so what gives? She could've at the very least been DLC... Ack, oh well. Ultimate should be her time to rise and shine. She's a very accomplished character, starred in her own game, has a unique gameplay gimmick with her ponytail, and could even borrow some structural elements from Diddy Kong to get the design process to move along quicker. In addition to her hair (Pirouette, hair torpedo, grabbing opponents, ground pound with her hair, and of course the helicopter spin), she could have the Gumball popgun, electric guitar as a taunt, and maybe even a Final Smash involving Kiddy Kong?

I've been dying to see some more Donkey Kong Country 3 love in Smash Bros.. Trophies, characters, music, anything! She did star in the game after all, it would only make sense she'd pull some elements from it for Smash. Though yeah, her intro game and latest game, DKC2 and DKCTF, are far more popular and critically acclaimed, so I'd love to see her representing them as well.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Dixie Kong assist trophy no K Rool again playable fighters Cranky and Funky Kong. I hear about the Dragon Quest rumor but I will be so mad if that rumor is real its fake.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So want to say a few things

A) I agree with the notion Dixie probably shouldn't be a Diddy Echo. But I've heard Diddy no longer uses his tail, which was always a red flag for me. I wonder if giving her a unique up special would be too big a change to label her an echo? Changing the peanut gun to a bubblegum gun should be feasible as shown by Dark Pit. And Dark Pit does have a unique final smash. Given the limited space of the roster and the likely reboot that will follow. An Echo might be the best deal if you want both Dixie and K Rool. Aside from Tail and Jetpack. Everything else Diddy does seems feasible for Dixie to do.

Diddy losing his tail attack changes everything in my eyes

Second thing trailer idea to reveal both Dixie and K Rool.

The story is told using the shadows from the shadow levels in modern DK. The idea is that it's constantly switching scenes in beat to the music, often showing more than one thing at once, think how 24 will show multiple things going on.

Dk, Diddy and Dixie are charging into a temple where K Rool has stolen their banana's. Dk and Diddy fall for a trapfloor and get captured. Dixie is saved by her hair. Dk and Diddy are seen tied up above some klaptraps snapping at them. Dixie is shown avoiding more traps, K Rool is taunting the Kong's until Dixie confronts K Rool. Finally the two are revealed in full colour. Dixie at the entrance to his lair and K Rool with the tied up Kongs behind him. Music builds up and BLAM!! Dixie twirls in!!! King K Rool gets Krammed in!! However before the two taglines can disappear, Dixie and K Rool notice something amiss. The taglines appeared over the wrong characters! To fix it, the two swap places while it's all paused. Everything gets dramatic again!!! But when things return to normal and the tagline disappear. K Rool is where Dixie was and Dixie is where K Rool was allowing for her to easily free DK and Diddy and the three run off, but not before DK bids a very dissapointed K Rool.

Cue gameplay of Dixie to the classic jungle theme with K Rool gameplay coming in when the theme hits it's ominous part.

Typing it I realised that it's missing other Nintendo characters, so maybe some more people can get captured and a few help out Dixie save them.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Dixie Kong assist trophy no K Rool again playable fighters Cranky and Funky Kong. I hear about the Dragon Quest rumor but I will be so mad if that rumor is real its fake.
Kill it with fire.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

A) I agree with the notion Dixie probably shouldn't be a Diddy Echo. But I've heard Diddy no longer uses his tail, which was always a red flag for me. I wonder if giving her a unique up special would be too big a change to label her an echo? Changing the peanut gun to a bubblegum gun should be feasible as shown by Dark Pit. And Dark Pit does have a unique final smash. Given the limited space of the roster and the likely reboot that will follow. An Echo might be the best deal if you want both Dixie and K Rool. Aside from Tail and Jetpack. Everything else Diddy does seems feasible for Dixie to do.

Second thing trailer idea to reveal both Dixie and K Rool.

The story is told using the shadows from the shadow levels in modern DK. The idea is that it's constantly switching scenes in beat to the music, often showing more than one thing at once, think how 24 will show multiple things going on.

Dk, Diddy and Dixie are charging into a temple where K Rool has stolen their banana's. Dk and Diddy fall for a trapfloor and get captured. Dixie is saved by her hair. Dk and Diddy are seen tied up above some klaptraps snapping at them. Dixie is shown avoiding more traps, K Rool is taunting the Kong's until Dixie confronts K Rool. Finally the two are revealed in full colour. Dixie at the entrance to his lair and K Rool with the tied up Kongs behind him. Music builds up and BLAM!! Dixie twirls in!!! King K Rool gets Krammed in!! However before the two taglines can disappear, Dixie and K Rool notice something amiss. The taglines appeared over the wrong characters! To fix it, the two swap places while it's all paused. Everything gets dramatic again!!! But when things return to normal and the tagline disappear. K Rool is where Dixie was and Dixie is where K Rool was allowing for her to easily free DK and Diddy and the three run off, but not before DK bids a very dissapointed K Rool.

Cue gameplay of Dixie to the classic jungle theme with K Rool gameplay coming in when the theme hits it's ominous part.

Typing it I realised that it's missing other Nintendo characters, so maybe some more people can get captured and a few help out Dixie save them.
If Dixie just manages to get Helicopter Spin as her Up B, I'll take her as a Diddy Echo. But she'll also need hair grabs.... So in that sense, no.

Those two are an absolute MUST for Dixie to be properly implemented. Anything else just wouldn't do her justice.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alright so I've got a handful of new supporters added:
Takasmash Takasmash
Oblivion129 Oblivion129
Nap_ Nap_
TreeBranch TreeBranch

Welcome all! From the posts I've read it seems like MrGameguycolor MrGameguycolor , James Phillips James Phillips , John Dylan Smith John Dylan Smith , KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 and smashingDoug smashingDoug are supporters too but IIRC they didn't ask to be put on the list so I'll play it safe until proven otherwise.

It's not just the tail attacks and Rocketbarrels that clash. The Dash Attack has to go too. In DKCs and Smash 4 onwards, DK rolls. Since his debut in Brawl, Diddy cartwheels. Dixie would have to pirouette as a Dash Attack to make her hair smack foes. Then you have the question of midair jump: does she jump like Diddy or like in Tropical Freeze? It'd function like Yoshi/Ness/Lucas's midair jump in that it's unique to her; then you gotta consider if she can slow her fallspeed at will or will she not make use of her hair like Peach does.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Like a lot of people have already said, if Dixie is implemented then she has to have few different attacks. I would think she would be a doctor Mario situation, but who knows. Sakurai could change the qualifications of an echo character to his pleasing. Dixie really is in a unique situation. She has an equal chance of being an echo, semi-echo and a unique fighter. I'll be happy with any of those, as long as she's playable.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Oh I know I'm late dropping in over here, but I was a Dixie Kong supporter in Smash 4 and I still support her now. So add me to the list, if we're keeping tabs.

PolarisJunkie

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PolarisJunkie
3DS FC
0361-7305-7321
Like a lot of people have already said, if Dixie is implemented then she has to have few different attacks. I would think she would be a doctor Mario situation, but who knows. Sakurai could change the qualifications of an echo character to his pleasing. Dixie really is in a unique situation. She has an equal chance of being an echo, semi-echo and a unique fighter. I'll be happy with any of those, as long as she's playable.
See I just can't see her being an echo of Diddy at all since nothing Diddy does is what Dixie does except her bubblegum gun. Her having rocketbarrels makes no sense when she was introduced with her own flying helicopter twirl. It would be a Ganondorf situation 100%.

If anything, if they did go a clone route with Dixie, I could see them borrowing from both Diddy and DK. Take Diddy's Side B and Neutral B and DK's Down B and Up B replacing hands with her ponytail. That is the only way I can see her being a clone but a full clone of Diddy just doesn't sit well with me.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
See I just can't see her being an echo of Diddy at all since nothing Diddy does is what Dixie does except her bubblegum gun. Her having rocketbarrels makes no sense when she was introduced with her own flying helicopter twirl. It would be a Ganondorf situation 100%.

If anything, if they did go a clone route with Dixie, I could see them borrowing from both Diddy and DK. Take Diddy's Side B and Neutral B and DK's Down B and Up B replacing hands with her ponytail. That is the only way I can see her being a clone but a full clone of Diddy just doesn't sit well with me.
I really wouldn't like her to be a full clone either, but you can't really deny that it's very much possible. Also, when I said an equal chance of being an echo, I meant with a changed dash attack and up b. Sakurai could still possibly consider her an echo, even after those changes. As for borrowing moves from DK, I think if you're going to change moves from diddy you might as well make them unique, although it could save a little time using DK's moves. Also, I have to admit I've only ever played Tropical Freeze, so there could be a lot of move set potential I just haven't realized.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support, DKC3 was one of my favorite games growing up and I think Dixie would be perfect for Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wanna know a thing? When I got my Switch somewhere last month or longer before, I was totally hooked on BOTW. And I nearly completed the game, in a general sense (you know, the game is huge and all) by beating 3 Divine Beasts. Then I started playing Tropical Freeze, and beat it just yesterday, going over the extra hidden levels now, then tackling Diddy Hard Mode. Just goes to show how awesome and addictive the game is!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Okay I've added 4 new people to the list. They are:
KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465
MrGameguycolor MrGameguycolor
Ultinarok Ultinarok
Sari Sari

Thanks for clarifying, Kirby and Gameguy! And as for Ulti and Sari thanks for stopping by and showing support. Feel free to stay a while; it's as fun as a barrel full of monkeys in here. Welcome to all of you!

While I do support Dixie... I just can’t be on no list.

*Grabs tinfoil hat*
Don't sweat it. I won't put you on the list but I see you as a supporter. ;)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Another reason why Dixie wouldn't work as an Echo fighter is Diddy's ledge attack using his tail.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I'm becoming impatient Nintendo, I just wanna know if Dixie is a playable character in smash ultimate, there are so many leaks mentioning a k.rool and dixie reveal for july, hope it's true, can't wait no more.
Do you guys think we will get any DK assist trophies this time? Personally I think we won't because he missed the chance putting them in for the last two games.
If we don't get Dixie and k.rool both this time then....I don't know, I think it's just disrespectful from Sakurai. Seeing how every franchise has much more representation (even Mother and F-zero which are dead franchises by now), that's really sad somehow.
Looking at fire emblem, which is a series that Nintendo was pushing all time with new titles for some reason, even though it's sales weren't that good ,especially on gamecube and wii , and the fe franchise was about to get cancelled...then dk fans like us have to wonder if we get a new dk game in the next time.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just advice not to trust leaks too much, if at all. They follow trends, and whatever is popular. Having both K.Rool and Dixie is a popular idea, so "leaks" are gonna tend to put them both in it. These "leaks" don't increase chances in any way or form. I think Dixie stands a very solid chance regardless.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
A leak is only a leak when confirmed. Until confirmation, it is nothing but fanfic to me.

There is no need to be impatient. Nintendo Directs are usually broadcast every two months (keyword being usually), so give Nintendo time. We might get Smash news in August, although whether there will be any news about Smash, let alone DKC reps, is something we will have to wait and see. Hopefully they announce Dixie, but all we can do is hope.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Another reason why Dixie wouldn't work as an Echo fighter is Diddy's ledge attack using his tail.
granted they could change that as well, pretty sure we haven't seen it, but yeah I feel like people are looking into the jab too much, some moves change, maybe they simply thought diddy's jab would be a better and more useful move without the tail part.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Has anyone thought of some kind of Triple sister Final Smash with Tiny and Candy Kong? Or even just a Tiny team up attack? The official lore is that they're still all sisters right? I only question because I remember when the Koopalings were Bowser's kids, and Waluigi was Wario's brother...

It's already obvious that Diddy is getting a new Final Smash because transformation smashes are gone, although they'll probably stick with the dual popguns and jetpack motif in some way. Dixie doesn't have those, and shoehorning them in would be as bad as Falco preferring the air. Diddy himself is playable so she can't do a combo attack with him without having a Tink/Alfonso solution. So I feel like her sisters would do some kind of elaborate team attack with her, or at least Tiny if Candy seems unviable to contribute.

I'm hoping Dixie gets the Wolf treatment, having completely unique standards and derivative specials at most, but I'd be fine with a Falco treatment instead so long as they don't start giving her random rocketbarrels and peanut guns.

Maybe a banana toss that throws forward but disappears if it hits the ground? Diddys original up aerial from Brawl? Kick or hair focused Forward smash and Up smash? Her dash attack should obviously be a hair twirl. I know everyone has built movesets for her already but I like how Diddy fights and it'd be cool to see how Dixie varies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Has anyone thought of some kind of Triple sister Final Smash with Tiny and Candy Kong? Or even just a Tiny team up attack? The official lore is that they're still all sisters right? I only question because I remember when the Koopalings were Bowser's kids, and Waluigi was Wario's brother...

It's already obvious that Diddy is getting a new Final Smash because transformation smashes are gone, although they'll probably stick with the dual popguns and jetpack motif in some way. Dixie doesn't have those, and shoehorning them in would be as bad as Falco preferring the air. Diddy himself is playable so she can't do a combo attack with him without having a Tink/Alfonso solution. So I feel like her sisters would do some kind of elaborate team attack with her, or at least Tiny if Candy seems unviable to contribute.
I'm fairly certain that Candy has no direct relation to anyone in the family, so it'd be Kong Girl Trio, if anything. Tiny and Dixie are related, yes, so I'd take this.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I'm almost certain Dixie would have her guitar as a FS. DK just lost his musical FS, and it would be perfect for a fast cinematic. Dixie has always been associated with her guitar, especially in Tropical Freeze.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I'm almost certain Dixie would have her guitar as a FS. DK just lost his musical FS, and it would be perfect for a fast cinematic. Dixie has always been associated with her guitar, especially in Tropical Freeze.
Yeah I'm imagining it to be kinda like mario's but it doesn't move, instead she creates various pink lines out of the tip of her guitar and she shoots music notes among those, it'd have a fairly small range but anybody caught in it would get beaten and blasted with said notes

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
granted they could change that as well, pretty sure we haven't seen it, but yeah I feel like people are looking into the jab too much, some moves change, maybe they simply thought diddy's jab would be a better and more useful move without the tail part.
Which it is. Because I rather have Diddy not use his tail at all if all he does with it is waggle. Sure his ledge attack is with his tail, but that's the only other move. I love Diddy's playstyle, and his moveset, but it has been a pet peeve for me ever since I got to play him in Brawl that he didn't use his tail a lot. That despite him being based a lot around DK64, where he used his tail in just about half his attacks. At the very least, they could've given him a proper attack with his tail for F Tilt.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm becoming impatient Nintendo, I just wanna know if Dixie is a playable character in smash ultimate, there are so many leaks mentioning a k.rool and dixie reveal for july, hope it's true, can't wait no more.
Do you guys think we will get any DK assist trophies this time? Personally I think we won't because he missed the chance putting them in for the last two games.
If we don't get Dixie and k.rool both this time then....I don't know, I think it's just disrespectful from Sakurai. Seeing how every franchise has much more representation (even Mother and F-zero which are dead franchises by now), that's really sad somehow.
Looking at fire emblem, which is a series that Nintendo was pushing all time with new titles for some reason, even though it's sales weren't that good ,especially on gamecube and wii , and the fe franchise was about to get cancelled...then dk fans like us have to wonder if we get a new dk game in the next time.
I believe we'll see a DKC Assist Trophy. Maybe we'll finally get to see Chunky in action!

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
A) I wonder if giving her a unique up special would be too big a change to label her an echo?
Yes, it would be too big of a change and not make her an echo. At that point they could easily make more things unique for her (to at least semi-clone status, but I actually think her being unique would be more likely, but that's just my opinion since I see her much different than Diddy).

Echos are basically the same character with a few different move attributes (besides final smash and a few animations like taunts). The characters have basically the same build so it's easier for them to just use the same model-properties and everything and just make a few new animations for something already existing.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm fairly certain that Candy has no direct relation to anyone in the family, so it'd be Kong Girl Trio, if anything. Tiny and Dixie are related, yes, so I'd take this.
Yeah I can't remember where I thought this...maybe it was the godawful cartoon that implanted the idea in my head.

Yeah I suppose the guitar would make sense. Would also work for Diddy though too, so I wonder if they'd just clone their Final Smashes...I would hope not but eh.

Lisbon Mapping

Smash Apprentice
I support Dixie. DK, along with Metroid and Kirby, is one of the original Smash 64 series that are desperately in need of more characters. Metroid's gotten a newcomer (although I think at least one more should be added) and I think it's very likely the other 2 series will also get new reps.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Found a nice vid from Gamexplain about Sakurai, SSBU and leaks.
Thanks to the info in this I'm confident that most "leaks" that pop up are just BS hoaxes. If Sakurai's going the extra mile to make sure even Nintendo employees don't know what's going on until the moment it drops, then I doubt anything that these leaks are saying. Yea, they're taking shots in the dark and they'll be right on some things, but honestly obsessing over what's likely a troll getting off on tons of attention isn't healthy, let alone something I wanna spend time on.

I support Dixie. DK, along with Metroid and Kirby, is one of the original Smash 64 series that are desperately in need of more characters. Metroid's gotten a newcomer (although I think at least one more should be added) and I think it's very likely the other 2 series will also get new reps.
Welcome to The Barrel!

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Found a nice vid from Gamexplain about Sakurai, SSBU and leaks.
Thanks to the info in this I'm confident that most "leaks" that pop up are just BS hoaxes. If Sakurai's going the extra mile to make sure even Nintendo employees don't know what's going on until the moment it drops, then I doubt anything that these leaks are saying. Yea, they're taking shots in the dark and they'll be right on some things, but honestly obsessing over what's likely a troll getting off on tons of attention isn't healthy, let alone something I wanna spend time on.

Welcome to The Barrel!
I saw this video too and I have to say that I'm a bit worried now, because seeing how sakurai ignored the dk franchise in smash, maybe there are no DK newcomers again??
I don't know, I mean I kinda knew that all those "leaks" are probably only predictions but still if you see dixie and k.rool mentioned in "leaks", you want to believe it's true

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I saw this video too and I have to say that I'm a bit worried now, because seeing how sakurai ignored the dk franchise in smash, maybe there are no DK newcomers again??
I don't know, I mean I kinda knew that all those "leaks" are probably only predictions but still if you see dixie and k.rool mentioned in "leaks", you want to believe it's true
Fortunately, there's no direct correlation between leaks and DK newcomers. A leak can be false and still have true information. Vergeben is a perfect example. The fake leaks have been including DK characters only because they're so popular and so likely, at least in the eyes of players. They've been feeding us stuff we want to believe, so that we'll believe. Doesn't mean DK won't get a newcomer because Sakurai is debunking them. K Rool is in the top 10 most wanted on five different speculation sites, and is number 1 in almost all of them. Dixie is in top 10 for Smashboards and I believe GameFAQs. It's not unknown how popular they are, and both fake leakers and Sakurai have probably taken notice. Separately, not as an intentional crackdown on disingenuous Nintendo employees.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
To answer Noipoi....

I'd say my most wanted newcomer is probably Dixie Kong. I don't know why but I've always enjoyed her character immensely. Ever since I was really young and had a crush on her when DKC2 came out.

I remember being horrible at the game but enjoying the first few levels and playing them over and over as Dixie. Odd to have a crush on a monkey, but the memory always stuck with me, and I love the original trilogy still. Great music, good level design, graphics that have aged amazingly well...and seeing as how she is among the original 3 most prominent Kongs, she has a deserving place in the roster.

It also partially comes from me liking Diddy too, but wanting to play a variant of his style with a character I like more. After Tropical Freeze, I fully embrace the girly Kong. Plus her support group is one of the best on the boards, with pleasant, genuine fans throughout (not saying the other boards dont have this) so lending her my number one vote feels overall better than any other character. Especially seeing how I haven't played the games that have most of the other viable newcomers minus Isaac (never finished it either) K Rool (prefer Dixie) and the Pokemon ones. I like Bandana Dee/Elma/Rex etc but I have yet to play the games they're in, so there's less of a personal attachment.

To put it another way, if any other characters made it in, I would want to try them out. But I probably wouldn't main them. There has to be some sentiment there, which is part of why I love Wolf, Shulk and Cloud. Good memories make a character more meaningful to play. And Dixie is that character among who is left. She's the one potential newcomer that I wouldn't just play with on and off, but would play seriously and often, just because.

In summary, I support Dixie, but at rooting for K Rool as well for his passionate fans. And if he gets in, but she doesn't, I'll accept it.
Sorry for the double post, but there was a discussion going on in the General thread about why you want your most wanted newcomer, and what they mean to you. This is what I posted, thought I'd share it here to spread the love and support. I'm 27 but not ashamed to admit that I'm a sucker for Dixie Kong (not in the crush way anymore, bestiality ain't my deal) due to my fond memories and respect for the DK series. Just thought I'd post that here for the other supporters to see.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Sorry for the double post, but there was a discussion going on in the General thread about why you want your most wanted newcomer, and what they mean to you. This is what I posted, thought I'd share it here to spread the love and support. I'm 27 but not ashamed to admit that I'm a sucker for Dixie Kong (not in the crush way anymore, bestiality ain't my deal) due to my fond memories and respect for the DK series. Just thought I'd post that here for the other supporters to see.

Well, I guess I could chime in too.

I remember seeing Gameboy Advance shown at the local gaming store, sporting Donkey Kong Country and Mario Kart - Super Circuit as the demo games. This was after being introduced to DK-verse via the animated adaptation broadcasted on a German children's channel in our TV, and was surprised to see it was actually a fully-blown videogame series at heart.

After receiving GBA SP some years later along with Pokemon Sapphire, I'd receive Donkey Kong Country 3 a long time after from a friend as a loaned cartridge- though IDK what happened to him because he never asked it back. In fact, I never saw him much since.

Still, the game ended up being ones I'd play good sum out of curiosity or change of pace from more funner ones I had (below).
Within that game, Dixie was a sweet, yet very capable heroine already within - the game also was pretty deep and challenging back in the day for me. I still have fond summery memories of middle 2000s spend with the game along others like Super Mario Advance 2 & 3, Metroid Zero Mission and Pokemon Emerald + Fire Red. Didn't find all Banana Birds for the final boss though.

To be frank, I didn't think much back on Dixie back then, but as time went a dozen of years and I grew as a gamer, I started to noticed how the game itself grew on me more and more as I went back to it now and then. There were two big reasons being this.

One was that I started to notice how Dixie managed to age immensely well as a videogame heroine of my childhood, long after seeing tons of Nintendo-females kind of blending together, even if most of them were pretty remarkable and charismatic on their own. I shared this same sentiment on many other videogame females out there, though I think with them the sexualization or other patriarchal portrayal were much more common.

Of course adding to this is that Dixie was already a definitive Nintendo-heroine, and probably one of the most authentic kind in the videogame history - sharing two titles where she starred majorly (latter being hers), and generally been used here and there around the 2000s at Mario-spinoffs back in the day on top of DK-series' own. All of them had her keep her characteristic charm and design, which ensured me always loving her as much as I did back in the childhood days.

It's not difficult to explain why I need to mention that last paragraph:

On that end, the Smash-games especially tended to emphasize just how much a strong heroine Dixie was, which was really pleasing for me to read and agree with as I played DKC3 around similar times when I owned Melee:

"More than just Diddy Kong's girlfriend, Dixie Kong is also a fearless adventurer and a reliable team player. She earned her wings helping Diddy rescue Donkey Kong from the clutches of King K. Rool. Dixie's amazingly quick and nimble, and she's even able to twirl her ponytail in order to float slowly through the air."

- Super Smash Bros. Melee

Diddy Kong's cutie of a girlfriend with an adorable blond ponytail. That ponytail is hardly for show—it helps propel her through the air for extended hang time and is indispensable for spin-attacking enemies and lifting barrels. Watch out—Dixie packs more power than you might imagine!

- Super Smash Bros. Brawl

"Diddy Kong's girlfriend. She loves to adventure with him. Her ponytail isn't just for show—she can use it to swim faster, soar in the sky, and even lift barrels! With hair that does all that, you can bet she takes good care of it! "

- Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U & 3DS

Moving on- the second reason why she grew much on me, was the setting of DKC3, referred as "Northern Kremisphere".

Over the years as I grew older, I came to realize that Northern Kremisphere was surprisingly, VERY similar to the environment I grew up on - I was born on Finland (@Staarih), and still live there in it's capital city Helsinki.

With that, many places I grew in my childhood were usually these built-in towns covered in forests, with occassional lake or river leading to sea in some other areas. I tended to explore such places highly when young - probably why I loved games like Pokemon or Zelda 1 + Link To The Past later.

So with just how many evergreen forests and lake backdrops there were in DKC3, accompanied mills, snowy mountains and more, had me grow immensely close with the game, almost like playing through a fantastic take on my home country - though if to say something, my parents are immigrants, so lil' tidbit about myself.

Interestingly enough, it was kind of confirmed that Northern Kremisphere was made to be inspired by landscapes and environments seen in Canada and Northern Europe - which includes Scandinavian countries. As far as I know where I live, Rareware did an amazing job capturing and then building further on the familiar domains I lived within.

For this reason, Dixie's become highly representative of my gamer self and also representing the very childhood memories + environment I grew up on, while also being one of most iconic Nintendo-heroines still not among the others in Smash Bros today - which is an immense disservice to her if it keeps up by this point.
Though it helps that Smash Bros seems to have certain fondness and consideration to her during the series' run, as she considered actually to Brawl alongside Diddy (didn't make it sadly) the Trophy descriptions, etc.

However, so far she's still missing, which is kind of concerning - and with all the reasons above, I'd hate my childhood times and fondness to her be reduced on being turned to an Echo, which'd make her Girl Diddy more than anything. I've already lost a lot of characters to Smash Bros in similarly disappointing ways before (Wario, Starfy, Chrom, probably Daisy), so I've been kind of torn on what might happen to Dixie regarding all of that.

I can only hope for best, I suppose.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
My connection with Dixie is significantly less interesting lol, but I got into nintendo around 2012, bought tropical freeze, played through pretty much the entire game as her and became obsessed with her because I always pick female characters (the gay jumped out) and she was really cute, plus the most fun to use. I really need to get around to playing the older DKC games at some point.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
My connection to Dixie...

When I think of fond memories of my childhood, there's one game that never fails to appear in my head: Donkey Kong Country 2. I played this game so very much as a kid and I learned way more about it than I did about most SNES games. I had played the original DKC at a cousin's, but had never owned it myself, so I don't have any real attachment to that game. I did, however, end up being able to borrow DKC3 from a friend for a long time, and I loved it nearly as much as DKC2. To this day I still wonder why people don't like DKC3 as much as the other two.

So that's the background. This may sound odd, but while I always liked Dixie, I never really realized it at the time. Part of the reason I was so interested in playing DKC3 at all was because it starred Dixie, a character I had come to love. I owned an N64 and had some interest in playing DK64, but never did, and when I think back, part of why is because it didn't have Dixie. In fact, I didn't play another DK game until Returns. And while I liked that game, I kind of lamented the absence of Dixie, the one character in two of my favorite childhood games of the same name. And it was around this time that I started to realize what Dixie actually meant to me. She was probably the first female character I ever played as in a video game, which is pretty meaningful to me now as I am a person who strongly prefers female leads. She's a female character who, in a sense, doesn't feel like a traditional female character. She has the look, yes, but otherwise she's as strong as the male characters she travels with, and that went a long way with child me towards viewing her more as a hero than just some girl.

I was certainly very excited to see Dixie make a return in TF, and even more excited when it turned out she was actually very useful, possibly the most of the three support Kongs. A bit before Smash 4 released, I replayed DKC2 and 3, the first time in many years, and while I would always say 2 was my favorite, I actually found myself enjoying 3 more this time around. Was it because of Dixie leading? Couldn't say. But she was among my most-wanted for Smash 4 (I would say Lucina was at the top back then) and she is tied for my most-wanted for Ultimate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom