• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really don't see the suggestions for Dixie being an Echo making much sense. For one, that would mean her signature hair copter ability wouldn't be used at all, which really wouldn't work.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I've gotta be honest, but I personally think that the change to Diddy's jab could be a positive sign of things to come.
Like, what if the developers purposefully updated his jab so the old tail-whip one can be used/retooled for Dixie? I think its possible & it wouldn't be the first time this kind of "move swapping" has occurred between characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So Diddy Kong Diddy Kong would you be up for a friendly little wager regarding Dixie's status in Smash?
Yes.

At the bare minimium, Dixie Kong should and WILL be nothing less than a "Echo" with at least an unique form of recovery through her Up B.

My personal feeling is that she might become a semi-clone in the alikeness in between Ness / Lucas and Fox / Wolf due to their similar physical atributes; they'd likely share the same weight, height and jump height but different strenghts, speed (running as well as falling and attacking), a whole different grab game mechanic (Dixie using her hair and might be getting the F Throw mechanics that DK has even) and last but not least: Dixie having a different Up B and maybe use the Helicopter Spin much like Peach's float mechanics even despite also using a Popgun variation and the Monkey Flip (which I think is unlikely).

I'll conclude: Unless Echoes allow some variation in certain moves as in Dixie's case Up B, DIXIE KONG WILL NOT BE A ECHO TO DIDDY!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think it would be interesting if Dixie was able to move, albeit slowly, when grabbing someone. Like when she carries Kiddy Kong in DKC3. It would work similarly to how Dedede and Kirby's inhale abilities work, except in her case it wouldn't be a command grab. I always found silly how such a tiny ape could carry such a big baby gorilla like Kiddy Kong. With her hair. That is the kind of silliness I enjoy in Smash.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think this has been mentioned before, but I think that Sakurai will respect her character enough to use her ponytail if she is put into this game. All of her trophy descriptions describe her ponytail as her defining attribute, and they talk about it attacking, picking up objects and floating.

I am doubtful that Sakurai (especially having thought of how she would play in the past) would throw all of that away to put her into a category that she doesn't fit into without some level of stretching. All of the other Echoes can be easily justified; they play identical to their source character within their source games and are easily cloned:

Dark Pit - In Uprising, during the one chapter where you play as him, he plays exactly the same as Pit. He has all of Pit's abilities and can equip all of Pit's weapons; it would be no different to select the same weapon and choose a different chapter where you play as Pit.

Lucina - For all of the people who say that she has a completely different fighting style than Marth in her home game, Marth's DLC model and animations are directly cloned from Lucina in Awakening. Not to mention that she spent a third of the game impersonating him and despite the physical differences, her sword is technically the same as his within canon.

Daisy - Every game where she appears alongside Peach, they are identical in playstyle. They are the same weight class in Mario Kart or the same archetype in sports games. They even have the same special move in most of the sports games; just with an aesthetic difference between hearts and flowers.

This may be splitting hairs, but Dixie has more often than not been distinct from Diddy in the games that they both appear in. Whether it be unique attributes or animations, it's a lot harder to justify Dixie being a Diddy Echo. She would need to change her Up B, as she has never used the Rocketbarrels, and she would need to change her Neutral B, as she has never used his Peanut Popguns. Unlike the other Echoes, Dixie would need to change something about her in order to be cloned from Diddy. It makes no sense to put her in the Echo category, when she can more easily be a semi-clone or Doc level clone with a few moves changed (worst case scenario just for sake of argument).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

This means DKCTF was even more relevant than we thought and the ballot may have had even more weight than we thought. Potentially good news for K. Rool and Dixie, as well as probably cutting down on the other potential choices they could have made.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The difference between Daisy and Dixie is that Daisy was argued to not fit because she didn't do Peach's moves like the float, turnips and Toad. Dixie on top of that has a signature move that arguably needs to be there. Daisy doesn't have that.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

This means DKCTF was even more relevant than we thought and the ballot may have had even more weight than we thought. Potentially good news for K. Rool and Dixie, as well as probably cutting down on the other potential choices they could have made.
Interesting. This is definitely a game changer. This means that the Ballot was closed just 2 months before the roster candidates were likely decided and will likely be the main influence on this game's newcomers. Xenoblade X was just released, so it's very likely to have a presence (I'm thinking Elma is way more likely), and Tropical Freeze will likely have a stronger impact than we thought. I'm very confident in K. Rool now, and Dixie as well.

EDIT: This also means that Decidueye or any other Gen VII Pokemon would need a Greninja situation in order to make it. Huh.

Last edited:

Reila

Makes sense. They wouldn't have decided on stuff this year. Development takes time and they did an incredible job making this game in less than three years (so far), even if it clearly takes a lot from Smash Wii U (smart move).

I suppose Elma is definitely more likely now, since the Xenoblade IP seems to be somewhat important for Nintendo (but not important enough, it seems...). I have no idea how well Dixie did on the ballot, but the fact Tropical Freeze was still fresh by then might help her, though it doesn't do anything for King K. Rool (his addition solely depends on his popularity still, which thankfully for him, is quite impressive).

Someone on reddit, I believe, mentioned that the ballot was actually made to gather info on what characters people wanted, not only for Smash 4 DLC, but for Smash Ultimate, too. That would make some sense. I still don't think Bayonetta won the ballot, and if the ballot was used for Smash Ultimate, it would make sense that the characters with the highest vote counts would be added in Smash Ultimate instead, because hyping a new game is more important than hyping DLC for Smash 4. Using the ballot for Smash Ultimate also goes along well with the "ultimate roster" thing.

Last edited:

Reila

EDIT: This also means that Decidueye or any other Gen VII Pokemon would need a Greninja situation in order to make it. Huh.
On the Pokémon thing, I think if we get one (we might not, just like a new Fire Emblem rep seems less likely than in Smash 4), it is going to be Eevee of all things. It is pretty much the most popular Pokémon not in Smash yet (we already have Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario and Charizard, after all) and it has been popular as far as I can remember (and that goes back to when I was a kid). Eevee has also been relevant in Gen 1, 2, 4 and 6 and it is going to be relevant again in the Switch game (though, I am not saying that means much for it, since the roster was decided long ago).

I really don't see that owl happening, but maybe it is just me. I am not an Eevee fan by any means (if I had to choose one it would be Mawile), but it makes sense to me and the thing could bring an interesting moveset to Smash with all of its eeveelutions being pseudo-transformations.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
On the Pokémon thing, I think if we get one (we might not, just like a new Fire Emblem rep seems less likely than in Smash 4), it is going to be Eevee of all things. It is pretty much the most popular Pokémon not in Smash yet (we already have Pikachu, Mewtwo, Lucario and Charizard, after all) and it has been popular as far as I can remember (and that goes back to when I was a kid). Eevee has also been relevant in Gen 1, 2, 4 and 6 and it is going to be relevant again in the Switch game (though, I am not saying that means much for it, since the roster was decided long ago).

I really don't see that owl happening, but maybe it is just me. I am not an Eevee fan by any means (if I had to choose one it would be Mawile), but it makes sense to me and the thing could bring an interesting moveset to Smash with all of its eeveelutions being pseudo-transformations.
Wasn't Eevee confirmed to be a pokeball already?

And regardless I don't think a tiny, quadruped like them really works in smash and it's not particularly interesting on it's own

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage

Eevee is a Pokeball Pokemon. It is present in the E3 demo.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

Reila

And regardless I don't think a tiny, quadruped like them really works in smash and it's not particularly interesting on it's own
If it was, I have no idea then. It was a nice theory.

A quadruped worked perfectly fine in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Amaterasu), I am sure it would work fine in Smash, too.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
If it was, I have no idea then. It was a nice theory.

A quadruped worked perfectly fine in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Amaterasu), I am sure it would work fine in Smash, too.
I don't think it works in smash in particular though, how do you believably make eevee carry a crate? or a hammer? or a gun? or a bunch of other items and actions while being on all fours at all times?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Getting off topic, but Leafeon, Espeon, Sylveon and Umbreon can get around this with vines (Grass type), magic (Fairy type) and psychic powers (Dark and Psychic types). The rest can take the Pikachu route.

Last edited:

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
Dixie has a strong chance of making it in due to Smash usually picking all modern characters aside from 1-2 Retro characters from the NES and prior. Dixie is really the only DK character that makes since as she’s popular and has Tropical Freeze for cross-promotion as it is a newer title with a Switch port. I know some will jump on me for not saying Krool, but honestly, other than a strong fan base in the Smash community alone, and maybe a unique moveset, what does Krool have as he isn’t a forgotten Retro character that maybe Nintendo can get more use out of, like Pit with Uprising, and he isn’t modern with his last appearance being a minor role in a Mario baseball game from 2006, like 12 years ago.

Honestly Dixie seems like she’d fit the 3rd character role better than him due to her relevance, moveset potential, the ability to use a tweaked Diddy model, and her being another female character.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'm really happy with today's news regarding December 2015.
This means that Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Geno and Lip, my 4 most wanted newcomers have a fairely great chance to become playable.
Hoping this also bodes well for Chibi-Robo, which comes 5th.

Last edited:

Reila

Although there is no evidence suggesting that, we don't know what Nintendo plans might be for K. Rool (if any). Just like they used Pit again in Uprising a few years after his comeback in Brawl, they could reuse King K. Rool, too. They also haven't used Duck Hunt in any significant way after bringing them back. I do agree that his biggest strength is his very vocal fanbase.
I'm really happy with today's news regarding December 2015.
This means that Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Geno and Lip, my 4 most wanted newcomers have a fairely great chance to become playable.
Hoping this also bodes well for Chibi-Robo, which comes 5th.
Why Lip? I mean, why do the news help her "chances" (so to speak)? I think she could be a really fun and unorthodox fighter, so I am just curious.

I just realized Rhythm Heaven Megamix was released in 2015. That could mean good things for a Rhythm Heaven rep, but I will keep expectations in check.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Why Lip? I mean, why do the news help her "chances" (so to speak)? I think she could be a really fun and unorthodox fighter, so I am just curious.
Well, considering that during the Ballot, people assumed that this would be for Smash 4 DLC. Takamaru where already an Assist Trophy, and with the dissinformation on that this would be used for Ultimate, Taka was mostly known to just be an Assist Trophy. The only other Retro pick that might have been more popular than Lip at the time might have been Balloon Fighter, but people keep disconfirming him on thoughts that of Villager's Up-B. Other than this Lip was the last one with noticable support during Smash 4 and DLC/Ballot period.

The whole Excitebiker thing was something new for Smash 5/Ultimate. People where looking at something else that were not Taka or Balloon Fighter, and something that were not Japan Exclusive. I can't recall at all that EB had much of a vocal or noticable support back then. Therefore, his support is fairly new, and perhaps too late to make an addition. Also, the fact that Sakurai mentioned him alongside Balloon Fighter and Bubbles from Clue Clue Land back during Melee.

Now, these are just some of the things that the "news" helps for Lip, depending on her chances. If you want to know more, there are plenty over at the Lip supporter thread of why she is viable, and her other chances not depicted by these news.

Sakurai has plenty of times stated that something he looks into for making a character is not always if they are popular, but if they stand out and make unique additions. While Lip herself as a design never got out of Japan until Animal Crossing NL DLC in 2016, she is still one of those few that has a noticable fanbase both in the west, and east, which does make her stand out regarding the "Japan exclusivity" part, which worked for Marth, Roy and Lucas in the past.

That's a lot of Lip ramble, but yeah, she would be my second Pink coloured newcomer for this game. Dixie is, believe it or not, one I want to see before Lip. Just because that it's really her time to finally join the roster. Beside K. Rool, now that Ridley is inn, she is the last remaining ALL-STAR which is yet to appear as playable, which is why I support her fully. I also believe there is no need to panic if K. Rool is revealed, or vice versa, since I have faith in both, thinking of fan-request, All-Star material currently not in Smash and the fact that she is of similar build of Diddy Kong which might make her easier to develope. (Not saying Echo Fighter, HELL NO, but becuase of the build, she could easily be a wolf-level clone, and fit it with pride).

Also, last thing on Lip. While not just being a Retro, but would also make the Panel De Pon series debut in Smash, which is also a positive thing.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I’d be totally down for Dixie as Diddy’s Echo...at least I was until I saw Diddy’s moveset. My line of thinking was “Dixie could use Diddy’s moveset, except use her hair in lieu of any tail based attack” but in checking the moveset he only uses his tail in one attack...his jab that may or may not be changed.

In writing this though, I thought maybe her gimmick is that she is weaker, but her ponytail adds another hit box onto Diddy’s base kit? Given that many attacks involve Diddy spinning or doing cartwheels, it would look natural for those attacks. As for Specials, Side and Down can be identical, Neutral could be the Bubblegum Popgun she has in Tropical Freeze and Up could be the Rocket Barrel (the one you ride in Returns and Tropical Freeze, not the jetpack) to have some different properties.

If she doesn’t get in though, then maybe we could have Funky over DK? Also, sign me up for support I guess.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I'm all in for Dixie. I believe she should be at worst a semi-clone as some of Diddy's moves don't make sense on Dixie. Sakurai is obviously going to use Diddy's model as a base. Btw I whipped these up for you guys

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm all in for Dixie. I believe she should be at worst a semi-clone as some of Diddy's moves don't make sense on Dixie. Sakurai is obviously going to use Diddy's model as a base. Btw I whipped these up for you guys

THAT'S GOING IN THE OP!! I'll add you and IvanQuote to the Support List in a few hours.

Reila

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? I saw the picture and was like WHAT? WHEN?

Vez

Smash Apprentice
So there's something interesting I noticed while looking at Donkey and Diddy's profiles on the site. They seem to have fingernails and toenails. Isn't that incredibly strange? I don't remember those two ever having nails in any game. It's especially odd for Donkey Kong because he's using his recent design with the updated nose and you'd think they'd want to stay completely true to it.

But Dixie Kong on the other hand actually HAS had toenails in the past. So is it possible that Dixie is a playable character using a design that's a mix between her old Rare one and the new Tropical Freeze/Paon one, but in the end the designers wanted to make the designs for all the Kongs feel consistent and gave Donkey and Diddy nails as well?

Last edited:

Reila

So there's something interesting I noticed while looking at Donkey and Diddy's profiles on the site. They seem to have fingernails and toenails. Isn't that incredibly strange? I don't remember those two ever having nails in any game. It's especially odd for Donkey Kong because he's using his recent design with the updated nose and you'd think they'd want to stay completely true to it.

But Dixie Kong on the other hand actually HAS had toenails in the past. So is it possible that Dixie is a playable character using a design that's a mix between her old Rare one and the new Tropical Freeze/Paon one, but in the end the designers wanted to make the designs for all the Kongs feel consistent and gave Donkey and Diddy nails as well?
Interesting theory. Time will tell if you cracked the code with this post or not.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
oh well

it was nice to get my hopes up for a bit

VeemonTamer

Cyber Sleuth
NNID
VeemonTamer
I hope she has her kneepads (if that's what those are lol) if she gets in. I really loved her Rare look! The pink was more evenly distributed across the overall design. <3

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I hope she has her kneepads (if that's what those are lol) if she gets in. I really loved her Rare look! The pink was more evenly distributed across the overall design. <3
I don't know what it is, but like said before, there was something to her Rare design that I liked better. I think her face looks different somehow. I personally think she looked cooler back then, haha
Maybe it's her beret?? I really like the promotional artwork from the rare days( like the one in my profile pic).

Last edited:

Reila

I think the Rareware designs in general are a lot more charming than the modern ones. That extends to the voices and SFX, too.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I think the Rareware designs in general are a lot more charming than the modern ones. That extends to the voices and SFX, too.
That's why I hope we get Dixie and K.rool with their rare design in smash ultimate or at least a mixture of rare and the modern ones
I know this is off topic, but do you play splatoon 2? Maybe we can exchange friend codes then :-)

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
That's why I hope we get Dixie and K.rool with their rare design in smash ultimate or at least a mixture of rare and the modern ones
Given that the K Rool mii costume borrows from his Rare design I expect he'll do the same as a full character. With Dixie I generally prefer her newer design tbh but if they do create a sort of blend between the 2 I hope they at least leave out the makeup and painted toenails, those just seemed unnecessary tbh, that said if they wanna ditch the earrings and bring back the kneepads I'm all for that.

Reila

I know this is off topic, but do you play splatoon 2? Maybe we can exchange friend codes then :-)
They will be doing fans a disservice if K. Rool is playable and he doesn't have his Rareware design. As for Dixie, it wouldn't be difficult to give her a few alts with the classic knee pads.

I do play it. I will add you on the Switch.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
They will be doing fans a disservice if K. Rool is playable and he doesn't have his Rareware design. As for Dixie, it wouldn't be difficult to give her a few alts with the classic knee pads.

I do play it. I will add you on the Switch.
Cool, thanks! I'm a newbie regarding Splatoon, just reached level 35.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Add me to that support list, I’m holding on to the dream of both Dixie and K. Rool getting in Smash Ult.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
Add me to the list of supporters. Smash Ultimate would feel incomplete without Dixie and King K. Rool.

Top Bottom