• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Ultimate" Job Master? - Bartz Klauser thread

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Bartz Klauser

Bartz as he appears in his alternate Dissidia outfit from the arcade reboot.

Who is Bartz?
Bartz is the protagonist of the Final Fantasy V. Before his adventure, Bartz is an adventurer from the town of Lix, traveling with his Chocobo friend Boko. He was dragged into the adventure with a princess and an amnesiac old man. He later meets up with Faris, a pirate who hides the fact she's a woman. They make up the new warriors who take on the power of the crystals.

What can Bartz do?
Bartz can utilize the power of his world's crystals to provide him "Jobs" from the iconic Job System found in some Final Fantasy games and the Bravely series. He can wield power that the job allows and if developed enough, he can use abilities that he mastered while having other "Jobs". He can utilize every class such as White Mage, Black Mage, Knight, Mime, and any other "Job" Final Fantasy V sports in its Job System. This allows him to have a huge variety of weapons such as swords, staves, magic rods, musical instruments, bare-handed, and every other weapon type in the game. Of course, being a "Freelancer" allows any magic and any weapons type to be equipped.

Here's a sample list of attacks and/or passive abilities that Bartz can utilize if the above summary isn't enough

Black Mage: Fire ( -ra, -aga), Blizzard ( -ra, -aga), Thunder ( -ra, -aga), Aero [oddly listed in Blue Magic] ( -ra, -aga), Flare, Bio
White Mage: Cure (-ra, -aga), Holy, Protect, Shell
Blue Mage: Missile, Deadly Claw, Goblin Punch, Mighty Guard
Knight: Cover
Red Mage: Dual casting
Spellblade (Mystic Knight): Fire based, Blizzard based, Thunder based, Bio based, Holy based
Dragoon: Jump
Time Mage: Slow, Haste, Gravity (Demi), Stop, Teleport, Meteor
Ninja: Throwing weapons, elemental scrolls, Dual Wield
Thief: Stealing Items
Ranger: Rapid Fire, animal assists
Summoner: Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut, Ramuh, Odin, Leviathan, Titan
Mimic: Copying allies
Freelancer: Any weapon, attacks, skills, and passive abilities from the other 25 jobs available

Bartz is Third-Party of Square Enix. Has he been on Nintendo platforms?
Been on Nintendo platforms? He made his debut on the Super Famicom in Japan. He also appeared on Nintendo released spin-offs such as Theatrythm: Final Fantasy series and Final Fantasy Explorers. His debut game has an enhanced port that made it onto the GBA as Final Fantasy V Advance. I don't think there's a doubt about his appearances on Nintendo platforms.

Possible Moveset Ideas
Since Bartz can a wide variety of playstyles and possible moveset options, we need to limit one to be something never seen with other Smash fighters. I'll provide some stable concepts and attempts to give an accurate portrayal of his character and techniques

Character Concept: Job Master
He's a master of the "Jobs" he has in his possession. His abilities and weapons are ready to duke it out in variety and some unpredictable attack designs

Gimmick: Mastering Attacks
His attacks will improve with avoiding attacks and dealing damage without getting constantly pummeled. He can get better with each attack, "mastering" its power. To balance this out, repeated or spammed attacks do not contribute to its "Mastery". When fully "mastered" the attacks are at full strength for the remainder of the match. For balancing purposes, it would not be a massive increase of power each increment.

Bartz is associated with the wind, so some of his magic attacks and possible spellbade magic would fit utilizing the Aero family of spells, though he can use other spells. I don't think is is a good idea to count out other magic attacks, for it would limit Bartz's Job opportunities.

His recovery attempts with up specials I think should result in a freefall to reference his fear of heights.

Appearance for Smash
Bartz's appearance is likely either his Super Famicom outfit of his older days or his outfit shown in Dissidia games. He has the potential for both palette swaps and true alternate costumes. The "Dancer" job can work as a true alternate costume.

Bartz's artwork for his Super Famicom appearance

Bartz as he appears in his default appearance in the Dissidia Arcade game.​

Arguments for Bartz
His moveset capabilities are undeniably huge, lacking a moveset will not be an issue. Said "Job Switching" ideas were an interesting concept to Sakurai according to an interview that Source Gaming has translated.

A second fighter for a company is not out of the question, given Mega Man and Ryu are from Capcom and Sonic and Bayonetta are from Sega. Two characters can come from the same franchise as we got two characters from Castlevania, both of them being popular members of the Belmont family clan.

A possible multi-talented fighter can be an interesting sight to and would definitely stand out in a positive manner to players. Since Final Fantasy is a continuing franchise spanning multiple games and spin-offs, I am sure Bartz has future in many more games to come. He can use swords, magic rods, staves, bare-handed combat, musical instruments, archery, dancing, singing, blue magic, white magic, black magic, time/space magic, and any other weapon that Final Fantasy V provides.

Arguments Against Bartz

Bartz has competition with other Final Fantasy and Square Enix characters and his star power is questionable, which may make Sakurai pass over him for other characters. Speaking of questionable star power, not too many people may know who Bartz is since his debut game originally didn't arrive on the SNES and people may not even explore other Final Fantasy titles.

Nintendo's own IPs have more priority than third parties, easily reducing chances of being noticed.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Any and every Final Fantasy character is good in my book. Bartz being no exception with his potential Class Change gimmick.

I wonder how different things would have been if we had him instead of Cloud (Who I'm currently thankful for).

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Any and every Final Fantasy character is good in my book. Bartz being no exception with his potential Class Change gimmick.

I wonder how different things would have been if we had him instead of Cloud (Who I'm currently thankful for).
I glad you're on board for Bartz support. Shall I add you in to the supporters list?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I glad your on board for Bartz support. Shall I add you in to the supporters list?
Yes.

I'm all for more Final Fantasy stuff.

Funny thing is that I'm planning on replaying some old games this break.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Bartz is cool so he'll always have my support. The Dissidia games have shown some of the things he can do which are great.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
That depends on how Sakurai would've implement the "Class Changing" concept. I would have been one of the happiest dudes on the boards, and even overjoyed if his "Classes" was implemented in a fun and faithful-to-the-game way. Actually, I am fine with both Bartz and Cloud in.

As of the jobs, he could keep a small number of iconic jobs or have Bartz go Freelancer. The possibilities are numerous.

I never played a Final Fantasy but FFV interests me
The "Job System" is the best thing about FFV. As for getting FFV, I would recommend the GBA version for everything, minus the music. As for the Steam/mobile make, the graphics aren't the greatest, but the music is preserved in its classic sound.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Interesting idea for a character. Could work better than my initial character choice of Black Mage.
I'm about to fall asleep so it won't happen right away, but you wouldn't mind if I started a Gilgamesh thread, would you? I'm currently envisioning Gilgamesh as cribbing Bartz's gimmick of borrowing other weapons in the original Dissidia.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Interesting idea for a character. Could work better than my initial character choice of Black Mage.
I'm about to fall asleep so it won't happen right away, but you wouldn't mind if I started a Gilgamesh thread, would you? I'm currently envisioning Gilgamesh as cribbing Bartz's gimmick of borrowing other weapons in the original Dissidia.
Go for it. Nothing wrong with it.

As for the Bartz supporters, we got another shot for him to be in Smash. Let's see if he'll journey in to fully playable status.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Still, support. Some actually Nintendo era Final Fantasy representation would be nice. And the class system is a great way to make him unique.

By way way, those who support Bartz or any other overlooked Final Fantasy character can feel free to join the Smash Underdogs. It's mostly for Smash speculation on the characters who aren't really talked about or underrated.

https://discord.gg/TchgMQt

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It's a pipe dream but I love final fantasy with all my heart and would be more than happy to see Bartz join the game.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
Every reason I support Terra goes to Bartz. From a best selling NINTENDO FINAL FANTASY YOU FREAKING WTF SAKURAI JEEZ DUDE, can do both magic and physical, but something about him that makes me want him more is that he looks less weird and he can be like Kirby but as a representation of all FFs. Bartz can probably do something from Squall, do Cloud's neutral B, have the Jecht shot somewhere. Stuff like that . I wish he replaced Cloud.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Every reason I support Terra goes to Bartz. From a best selling NINTENDO FINAL FANTASY YOU FREAKING WTF SAKURAI JEEZ DUDE, can do both magic and physical, but something about him that makes me want him more is that he looks less weird and he can be like Kirby but as a representation of all FFs. Bartz can probably do something from Squall, do Cloud's neutral B, have the Jecht shot somewhere. Stuff like that . I wish he replaced Cloud.
I think Cloud and Bartz can co-exist on the roster.

But, at least I admire your support for Bartz. Moveset wise, Bartz has so much material for him to use in Smash.

I Never Felt It Before

Smash Apprentice
I think Cloud and Bartz can co-exist on the roster.

But, at least I admire your support for Bartz. Moveset wise, Bartz has so much material for him to use in Smash.

Well I mean Bartz should of been there first. I like both so I don't mind too much. I enjoyed Bartz being a mimic character in Dissidia and I think could work well if the team needs someone to actually represent FF. For a FS they can take notes from FFRK (the best gacha game, honestly) considering they are going with the cinematic route.

THis one is the most "Oh yeah, this is Bartz" thing I can see them using out of all of his soul break animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=IaAraSbq-ho

This one too as it kinda represents the plot of FFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3dTKLM4zbA

Last edited:

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Well I mean Bartz should of been there first. I like both so I don't mind too much. I enjoyed Bartz being a mimic character in Dissidia and I think could work well if the team needs someone to actually represent FF. For a FS they can take notes from FFRK (the best gacha game, honestly) considering they are going with the cinematic route.

THis one is the most "Oh yeah, this is Bartz" thing I can see them using out of all of his soul break animations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=IaAraSbq-ho

This one too as it kinda represents the plot of FFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3dTKLM4zbA
I do like both of those ideas for a Final Smash. I'd like the idea of Bartz doing multiple jobs, maybe even importing his mastery gimmick from Dissidia NT. A Smash version of the Mastery gimmick would have to be less complicated and balanced to make sure Bartz won't be OP.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I support. Final Fantasy V is one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, and Bartz was my main in Dissidia. He'd make an amazing character in Smash, especially if he would be anything like his Dissidia incarnation.

Also Gilgamesh boss or riot.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I resurrect this thread, and cast my support in for him.
FFV was my first FF and I'll say it may very well be my favorite, if not top 5.
Count me IN.

Also, fingers crossed for Clash on the Big Bridge.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Glad to have you on board. There's more than meets the eye with Bartz.

D

Deleted member

Hell yes!!! I thought I was the only one who wanted him, FFV is one of my favorite FF games, it totally deserves more love.
The Big Bridge would also be a great autoscrolling stage with Gilgamesh as a boss, and of course the music with it too. Not just Clash on the Big Bridge but there's plenty of other tracks in FFV that would be awesome to have as well.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Guys, we got ourselves a Discord server for Bartz Klauser. I'll put a link to the server below. Let's see if there's a shot he'd be a DLC character.

https://discord.gg/Tn5NMHW

Last edited:
Top Bottom