• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Twilight Princess: Midna for Smash: Ya Gotta Have Wolf Link

How do you want your Midna in Smash?

• Total voters

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
(how many Midna threads will I be a part of...?)

Midna is the secondary protagonist and Link's partner from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. She is the titular Twilight Princess-turned-imp creature that helps Link save Hyrule from the Usurper King Zant. A dynamic character who evolves from condescending and manipulating to genuinely caring about the fate of Hyrule (and not just her own), Midna became an instant favorite among Zelda fans.

So it is that she has seen a number of supporters voice their desire to see in Super Smash Bros. for two games in a row. No success so far, but there's always hope, and I've composed three big reasons why if you're not supporting her already, you should absolutely entrust your faith to the Twilight Princess.

1. Midna is unique - and has many gameplay possibilities!

Midna's key ability is being able to instantly teleport herself and other objects between space. She also has dark magic abilities, and she can also turn her ponytail in a giant hand, which can be used to grab and throw things (as seen in her Assist Trophy) or for general melee attacks. All these abilities could be used to create a character focused on trickery in a way not quite seen in Smash Bros. before. Her Assist Trophy is actually very close to how she would probably play.

There's also Hyrule Warriors. While not canon, she summons wolves made of darkness. Which is pretty cool. And while her true form didn't really do anything in Twilight Princess, in Hyrule Warriors she uses the Mirror of Twilight to cast light magic spells and summon objects such as giant cannons and Wallmasters.

(For anyone who hasn't seen it, see the Wolf Link and Midna Dream Smasher article which I did for Source Gaming. I made a great moveset there)

2. Support Midna and (most likely) get Wolf Link absolutely free!

Like Link has Epona, Midna is heavily associated with a steed of her own - that being Link in his Wolf form. For the majority of her screentime in Twilight Princess she rides on the back of Wolf Link, assisting him with her own abilities while he hunts for bugs in order to cast the darkness from the world (it's a weird game). As a result, when most people think of Midna, they think of her together with Wolf Link, so if they got into Smash Bros., it would most likely be both of them as a duo. While Wolf Link is a third Link, he's also a cute doggo.

How can you say "no" to this?

3. I already ran out of compelling reasons!

BUT, that doesn't mean I have a shortage of dubious/easily disputable reasons!

1. She's popular!
2. She represents Twilight Princess! This will become relevant when Breath of the Wild Link and Zelda replace the ones we have now.
3. She looks cool!
4. She's actually kind of relevant I guess Twilight Princess HD already came out a year ago but idk
5. She's like ten years old now, so she's not too new!

(To be honest I figured I could come up with more interesting reasons, but I guess most people who were ever going to support Midna are already doing it)

In all seriousness though, I'm not great at propaganda, so really this thread is just for those who already like Midna to voice their support for her! Again.
(it's been a while since I did one of these, did I do it wrong? I did it wrong didnt i)

Midna Discord Link

Last edited by a moderator:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Absolutely, but I'd want Midna in partnered up with Wolf Link. Due to him being a companion in Breath of the Wild, plus an amiibo and Twilight Princess's enduring popularity and relevance even in the face of what many say is the greatest Zelda of all time, I think Wolf Link and Midna have a great chance of appearing in Smash as a team.

I support (but only if it comes with Wolf Link. The two are a package deal).

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Insta-supported; Midna is the reason why TP is my favorite Zelda game.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Glad to see the Midna thread is back. She's my second most-wanted newcomer, and has so much potential.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Absolutely, but I'd want Midna in partnered up with Wolf Link. Due to him being a companion in Breath of the Wild, plus an amiibo and Twilight Princess's enduring popularity and relevance even in the face of what many say is the greatest Zelda of all time, I think Wolf Link and Midna have a great chance of appearing in Smash as a team.

I support (but only if it comes with Wolf Link. The two are a package deal).
You're not wrong my friend!
Well, about Wolf Link being part of the contract. I can't say I find them incredibly likely at this point but...I would love to be wrong.
I wonder how well they did on the ballot. I saw one poll that suggested they did somewhat decently but it was literally just that one and they're unreliable anyways. No way to know...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still support the Twilight Princess.

So why not?

*too many links joke goes here*

One of my mist wanted Zelda characters even if i havent played that much of TP. Hyrule warriors was too compelling of an argument.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
As Twilight Princess is my second favorite Zelda game, I'd be more than happy to have Midna and Wolf Link join the roster. Just... let's get Impa first.
This hurts me so much T_T
*too many links joke goes here*

One of my mist wanted Zelda characters even if i havent played that much of TP. Hyrule warriors was too compelling of an argument.
She's fun but weird in that game. Half of her moves are godlike crowd control while others are just straight garbage.
From a moveset composition standpoint I think I'd prefer HW's Midna but I love Wolf Link so i'm torn.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
This hurts me so much T_T

She's fun but weird in that game. Half of her moves are godlike crowd control while others are just straight garbage.
From a moveset composition standpoint I think I'd prefer HW's Midna but I love Wolf Link so i'm torn.
The main reason I would like to see Impa first is due to how recurring she is - among the heavily recurring characters there's the Triforce Trio, Impa, and...ugh, Tingle... that, and Sheik looks visually boring to me.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I will not support Midna alone this time, unless she reapperas in a Zelda game again someday.

BUT

I will support her w/ Wolf Link!!!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Can't say I played enough of TP to get past her annoying and condescending phase. Midna holds no appeal for me as a character but she is an integral part of Wolf Link, who I would love to see. Plus, even if she weren't essentially part of who he is, her form boosts his moveset potential dramatically.

In that sense, at least, I support her.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The main reason I would like to see Impa first is due to how recurring she is - among the heavily recurring characters there's the Triforce Trio, Impa, and...ugh, Tingle... that, and Sheik looks visually boring to me.
*shrugs* Personally, I prefer to support who I like rather than who has the most credentials.
(disagree on Sheik being visually boring...that's grade A character design right there)

Anyways...I don't have much else to say for a while. When Smash for Switch is actually confimed, I'll be back here full-time though.
Unless I see the Midna Assist Trophy again. Then i'll just kinda...not...

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
*shrugs* Personally, I prefer to support who I like rather than who has the most credentials.
(disagree on Sheik being visually boring...that's grade A character design right there)

Anyways...I don't have much else to say for a while. When Smash for Switch is actually confimed, I'll be back here full-time though.
So that means I can steal the Lana support thread from you?

Sweet!

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium

I like Impa though

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
TP was my first Zelda so I've always been on the Midna train, and I still support her inclusion unlikely as she may be.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Hmm...maybe. I really like Lana... Let me see how serious you are. I want a 10,000 word document on why Lana is a good fit for Smash on my desk by tomorrow morning.
Challenge accepted. Not like I have anything better to do with no Splatoon 2 for the night.

On topic, don't you think it would have been nice to see a Midna Easter Egg in Breath of the Wild?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Challenge accepted. Not like I have anything better to do with no Splatoon 2 for the night.

On topic, don't you think it would have been nice to see a Midna Easter Egg in Breath of the Wild?
Well, that was a joke. But in seriousness, I guess it's fine. I have Midna, that is, ultimately, all that matters.
(Also Leon and Lurantis but I'm the only one who will support those let's be real)

I wonder whether I should have just billed this thread as a "Midna and Wolf Link" thread. Seeing the poll results, most of us agree they really are quite inseparable.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, that was a joke. But in seriousness, I guess it's fine. I have Midna, that is, ultimately, all that matters.
(Also Leon and Lurantis but I'm the only one who will support those let's be real)

I wonder whether I should have just billed this thread as a "Midna and Wolf Link" thread. Seeing the poll results, most of us agree they really are quite inseparable.
Must be that Twilight Princess nostalgia.

They are without a doubt a memorable pair when Midna can technically work on her own if she wants to. It's a quadruped character that can work when she can hold the items for Wolf Link or deal more ranged attacks. It's kind similar to my deal asking people whether they prefer the dress for Daisy or another outfit.

I'd say go ahead if you want.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Thanks. And call me when that Leon thread is ready. I'd definitely love him to b... errr his inclusion in Smash. ;0

On topic, I'd say change the title. If Midna & Wolf Link is the most popular version of the character (I'd blame the game itself), then it shows they are interested in that form the most.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Thanks. And call me when that Leon thread is ready. I'd definitely love him to b... errr his inclusion in Smash. ;0

On topic, I'd say change the title. If Midna & Wolf Link is the most popular version of the character (I'd blame the game itself), then it shows they are interested in that form the most.
Done.

Must be that Twilight Princess nostalgia.

They are without a doubt a memorable pair when Midna can technically work on her own if she wants to. It's a quadruped character that can work when she can hold the items for Wolf Link or deal more ranged attacks. It's kind similar to my deal asking people whether they prefer the dress for Daisy or another outfit.

I'd say go ahead if you want.
I think it's less the nostalgia (it's there, the game is half as old as me at this point) and more that the two characters were literally designed with each other in mind.
Even if it's not Wolf Link himself, it's hard to imagine Midna w/o a wolf.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always supported Midna, but never thought of her as extremely likely. I do now view her as the only viable competition for Impa, but both have their downsides and must rely on Hyrule Warriors' popularity mostly to be considered a potential newcomer. It's sad such great characters will have to be overlooked, but I'd still like Midna to appear. Alongside Impa for all I care, but both need a new appearance in a main stream Zelda game to work out.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Nah you don't need wolf link.

My perfect Midna how I visualise her in Smash is similar to Hyrule Warriors where it's her but multiple Wolves appear to aid her attacks. Wolf Link appears sometimes too e.g in Dash attacks or running. (she floats when walking or walking fast then hop ons to go faster).

Twili Midna HAS to appear too imo. Just as a final Smash even, using her superior awesome powers.

Her hair grab thing would only be for grabs........and able to grab in the air and float there then throw or pummel.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Sakurai seems to dislike the idea of transformation characters now that he dropped the mechanic in Smash 4. The way amiibo work now sort of reinforces the idea of transformation between two characters is pretty much gone (but that could very well change now that the Switch can absolutely support it where the 3DS could not). I think that relegates any appearance of Twili Midna to a Final Smash.

Personally I like the idea of getting Midna and Wolf Link as a package duo. She did rely heavily on him during Twilight Princess and why walk when you could ride a wolf? The two's strengths seem to balance each other out that could make a good moveset. I think Midna appearing alone would also be wasted opportunity. Wolf Link has now appeared in Breath of the Wild as a (near) constant companion for Link and has some pretty indepth mechanics, something that I wouldn't expect of an amiibo unlock. Midna and Wolf Link are also among the only Zelda characters to get their own amiibo aside from the TriForce Trio and Sheik (others being the Guardian and a Bokoblin). I think these things sort of gives Midna more weight as a standalone character than any of the other sidekicks in the Zelda series. Wolf Link even goes on to become a sidekick of sorts to BotW Link.

Plus people kinda forget that it's technically a third Link, especially since he's more co-staring with Midna, and more so since he's an adorable pooch.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Sakurai seems to dislike the idea of transformation characters now that he dropped the mechanic in Smash 4. The way amiibo work now sort of reinforces the idea of transformation between two characters is pretty much gone (but that could very well change now that the Switch can absolutely support it where the 3DS could not). I think that relegates any appearance of Twili Midna to a Final Smash.

Personally I like the idea of getting Midna and Wolf Link as a package duo. She did rely heavily on him during Twilight Princess and why walk when you could ride a wolf? The two's strengths seem to balance each other out that could make a good moveset. I think Midna appearing alone would also be wasted opportunity. Wolf Link has now appeared in Breath of the Wild as a (near) constant companion for Link and has some pretty indepth mechanics, something that I wouldn't expect of an amiibo unlock. Midna and Wolf Link are also among the only Zelda characters to get their own amiibo aside from the TriForce Trio and Sheik (others being the Guardian and a Bokoblin). I think these things sort of gives Midna more weight as a standalone character than any of the other sidekicks in the Zelda series. Wolf Link even goes on to become a sidekick of sorts to BotW Link.

Plus people kinda forget that it's technically a third Link, especially since he's more co-staring with Midna, and more so since he's an adorable pooch.
Well honestly, idm because I wanted tranformation characters to be gone and ZSS ect be seperate :p

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Not related to Super Smash Bros., but still related to Midna:

A member of the First4Figures team has teased a new, upcoming figure in the closed Facebook group. This teaser showed part of a character, and it appears to be Midna in her Twili form. So a Midna figure seems to be in the works.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Midna doesn't need Wolf Link in Smash. If she can be a separate character in Hyrule Warriors, she can be a separate character in Super Smash Bros.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Midna should be on her own for Smash. It would be unfair to the character if she couldn't be allowed to be on her own. Not to mention she is solo in Hyrule Warriors. Yes, she does use a shadow wolf. But, that doesn't mean she needs Link.

I'm a huge fan of Link (and The Legend of Zelda in particular) but that doesn't mean I want 4 or more versions of Link.

andimidna

Smash Master
Yess finally found this thread. I’ll probably be fixing up the moveset I made last year and posting more often :)
The moveset incorporates Wolf Link, but she’s not limited to him. So, yea, like Hyrule Warriors kind of. It’s funny though, I’m pretty sure I had this aspect to the moveset before Hyrule Warriors even though it’s so similar to that idea. Can’t remember though.
Glad to recognize some names here from back when I used to be active

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
Wolf Link is definitely on MY wish list. And I do ideally want it to be Wolf Link with Midna, but i'd also accept Wolf Link WITHOUT Midna. I honestly thought Wolf Link would be a character before the Duck Hunt Dog, whose inclusion baffles me to this day.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Midna's actually one of the few Zelda characters I like strongly enough, so count me in please.

I don't seem to be in as much of a minority as I thought, preferring not to be shackled to a reminder of that damnable hunting hound if possible.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Midna's actually one of the few Zelda characters I like strongly enough, so count me in please.

I don't seem to be in as much of a minority as I thought, preferring not to be shackled to a reminder of that damnable hunting hound if possible.
While I wouldn't call Wolf Link "a damnable hunting hound" I do agree that Midna should go solo. I think Nintendo could really get creative if Midna didn't have Wolf Link.

andimidna

Smash Master
I have a moveset that’s almost entirely derived from concepts from Twilight Princess incorporated into a Midna moveset that’s both partially with and without Wolf Link. There’s a few aspects I wanna perfect before posting. I also want to compile gifs from the game of what I’m talking about lmao. Coming soon enough though
Edit: Here’s a condensed version of what I think are stronger points for her.
https://twitter.com/moonlitjeunen/status/973022212763635712?s=21
https://twitter.com/moonlitjeunen/status/973023483608420352?s=21

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

You know damn well I support this amazing character!!

Top Bottom